Up the Coasters West Coast Eagles - Best Ever Games (The Game)

Remove this Banner Ad

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Lol, I did put in Step 1: If you DON'T WANT TO TAKE PART then DON'T LIKE THIS POST IN ANY WAY.

You f’ed it up, campaigner!

Is ok, I'll remove you.
Sorry mate.

I’m probably not the best person to have doing a write up on such things. Dodgy web browsers and all that

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
random.png

#1 - 2018 Grand Final vs Collingwood
Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I had a few games up my sleeve depending on where I ended up, but with the first pick there can only be one choice.

The 2018 AFL Grand Final

West Coast 11.13 (79) def. Collingwood 11.8 (74)

Goals
3: Kennedy
1: Hutchings, Shuey, Darling, :hearteyes::moustache:Sheed:moustache::hearteyes:, Yeo, Cripps, Vardy, Rioli

Best
Shuey, Sheed, Barrass, Kennedy, Hutchings, Schofield, McGovern

I'm cheating a bit somewhat because I've posted a lot of this before in the heat of the moment. It's better that way. I have added it it though :innocent:

The 2018 season was like living in Trumpland, where facts don't matter.

Heading into the game we were 4-1 against the rest of the top 4. 5-0 if you consider home and away ladder rather than preliminary finalists. Our one loss was a narrow loss to Melbourne in Round 22 when Kennedy didn't play and Darling was knocked out in the first quarter. The "experts" tipped against us in every single final. Our record was fake news.

Undefeated in Victoria. I'm not 100% certain but I suspect we may be the first non-Vic team to boast such a record. We even beat Collingwood at the MCG earlier in the year after losing Nic Nat before half time. Ignored and forgotten. Our record was fake news. We were the Weak Coast Eagles in the newspaper we apparently own (according to the Purple Muppets). The Nose even queried Simpson on the club's culture.

Gaff was worse than Hitler.

We were considered "lucky" to beat Collingwood in the Qualifying Final. Melbourne "didn't show up". Our Grand Final place was "wasted" on us. * off. The fairytale narrative was on.

Then the mental gymnastics continued in Grand Final week where the MCG is a neutral ground the Eagles can't win at because it's Collingwood's home ground. Similar to the doublethink whereby Nic Nat is overrated, doesn't rack up enough possessions, but the Eagles can't win without him. I love Victorian "experts" sometimes. Especially Robert Walls
:lol:

It was us vs them and that's a position the Eagles thrive in.

And then the game itself. Jesus Christ a Grand Final for the ages. 5.0 to 0.2 in the blink of an eye. But what separated this West Coast team from previous ones is sheer grit. We fought and fought and fought over the next two quarters to tie it up at three quarter time. Sidebottom was a non-factor. Grundy was a non-factor. Cox was handed a football lesson by Tommy Barrass. What the * was going on?

Then Collingwood slammed on the first two goals of the last quarter and I punched the wall with both fists.

You campaigners know what happened next.

That last play. It will live on in West Coast folklore, up there with Matera setting sail for home in 92 and the Chick smother, handpass, shepherd, Hunter goal in 06.

Jeremy McGovern, the highest paid footballer in WA history, who we discovered post-match was hospitalised for two nights after the Prelim with internal bleeding, took a big contested mark in defence. He kicked with precision (a West Coast trademark in 2018) to Nathan Vardy, who marked on his chest. In consecutive weeks Vardy shut down Gawn and Grundy and was only playing because Nic Nat was injured. Vardy kicked it long and Liam flyin' Ryan lived up to his name with a huge speccy. He quickly played on with another long kick to Sheed on the boundary. Contested marking, accurate kicking. Pure West Coast. Sheed, only playing because Gaff committed a capital crime, on the boundary, on the right side for a left footer, the Collingwood faithful losing their s**t RIGHT THERE (it's OK when any supporter base other than the one that fills Optus Stadium shows passion, another Trumpland special) and he NAILED THE SHOT. GOAL OF THE ******* FOREVER. And didn't he let the Collingwood mob know all about it afterwards

55e237b9dbfe7a32f632b54167ba207c

2018 Premiers. To the most deserving team of the year
:up:
No Nic Nat, no Gaff, no Sheppard. PREMIERS!!!

I love this game.

91f05346a493e63ce51d0a054c203d02
91f05346a493e63ce51d0a054c203d02

UP THE ******* COASTERS!!!

CM9000 over to you :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Great job mate! Others can feel free to chip in with their thoughts on the game too, now that it is selected.

I still get a lump in my throat at the last boundary throw-in... "No Naitanui, no Gaff, no Sheppard. Concede the first 5 goals..." Stop it Bruce.

What a mountain to climb and I totally agree on it being #1. :)

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
There were so many stories within stories. Ryan's first game at the MCG. Swung the game with that crunching hit on Maynard, had strips torn off him after that dropped mark in the third, Jetta took him under his wing, came out firing in the last, hit the post twice, then took that mark in that play :hearteyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#2 - 2018 Round 21 vs Port Adelaide

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
The Prelude:
Well, since the 2018 GF has been taken, I'd like to nominate the most satisfying game of the 2010s as the best Eagle's game ever, that being Round 21 against Port Adelaide in 2018.

To truly express the utter brilliance of this game would require a novel. The poetic nature of it, the dire circumstances leading up to it, and what it eventually lead to (the flag) make it something I will never, ever forget. How can I do this match done justice? To begin with, it all started nearly 12 months before.

2017, as a football season, crippled me. Things were broken in my home after a number of matches, and most weeks in the year were ruined for me. To be emotionally invested in this club at the time was draining. What was worse, though, was this board. It was dominated by the usual fanfare of "Sack Nisbett" and scapegoating; people wanted Simmo gone, for some reason. Not the majority, mind you, but the loud minority drew the most attention. That St Kilda game was the stuff of nightmares, then the retirement of Priddis broke me in half.

Then Collingwood came along and rescued our finals chances.

Melbourne had to beat the Colliwobbles in the final (or second last? I don't remember) round to ensure a spot in the 8. For some reason, it seems that the Pies, at that moment, decided to repay us for all the heartbreak they've given our club over the years.

It was soul crushing stuff for Melbourne. We made the eight by 0.05%! Can you actually beat that for suspense? Funnily enough, though it probably looked like it couldn't get any worse for Melbourne at the time, the real pain was only 12 months away.

#jettawhatsthepoint crushed greatwhiteshark 's weird hatred of him by kicking us into eigth spot against the top team. We made it to the first week of finals in a match up against the Fremantle of SA, Port Adelaide, and we all know what happened next:
giphy.gif

This event initiated me into the wonderful world of Port Adelaide salt mining. I have a very deep hatred of Port, so you can imagine how beautiful it all was. This psychologically scarred Port fans for life. I think, at that moment, they started to despise us as much as Adelaide, perhaps on an even deeper level. To put it simply, we continued our unbeaten streak against Port at their home ground, and all was well within the AFL.

This was also the birth of an iconic phrase, courtesy of the traitor and money hungry mercenary Scott Lycett.

Injured at the time, Slyce could only watch watch on as West Coast went into an extra time final for the first time in a decade, and it was only the third time in AFL history that it actually happened. To be absent from this must have been heartbreaking. Just imagine the cirumstancss for a moment - you won't play the next week, against a hostile crowd in forgien territory, and the scores are tied at full time. What a thing to miss out on. Unfortunately for the big man, the game went to the next level, as Shuey kicked a goal after the siren for the win in extra time, a record that will not be broken for the next century. I can't put into words how unlucky Scott was to miss this; but, instead of lamenting the opportunity, he gave us a battle cry that will last for the next 10 generations:

"UP THE ******* COASTERS!!!!!"

Yet again, thank you for everything, Slyce. And on a more personal note: get the * out of that hole already and come home. The money isn't worth it, trust me.

Nearly 12 months later, Andrew Gaff broke Andrew Brayshaw's jaw in the derby, days after a round of potentially fictional golf game (we may never know). Subsequently, it lead to this bullshit in The West Australian:
uhbzZ6o.jpg

This, coupled with Naitanui's second ACL midway through the season, seemed to be making a premiership impossible. We also had to win this game to ensure a top 2 spot.

The Match:
This was a gross game of football. It was awful conditions, Port looked to be in the verge of breaking our streak against them at AO, and we had been through hell the week before. But, my friends, our club is addicted to setting records and making history; we would not go down to these campaigners from South Australia. While Port got out to a 25 point lead early in the game, Elliot Yeo responded with a brilliant goal to help drag us out of our slump:
giphy.gif

Midway through the second term, Eagles legend and 200 game premiership wingman Chris Masten kicked from outside 50 to score a pretty great goal, if I do say so myself:
giphy.gif

We couldn't grab the lead for the whole game, though. Port lead the entire way, and not even a Liam Ryan (semi) hanger could get us on top. We left it until the last 50 seconds when Mark LeGod scored to get us to within a goal:
giphy.gif

And you all know what is coming. Let me set the scene:

"Can they get it clear? Yeo, they can. Lycett, high ball….

DEAN MCGOVERN!!!!"

"McGovern has taken the mark! He's sore, he's beaten, he's battered, but he's going to have the shot!"

….

"After the siren, Huddo, after the siren."

And with the help of Anthony Hudson to set the atmosphere, the miracle happened:
giphy.gif

I cannot put into words how completely and utterly hilarious this moment was. For the first time in AFL history, an away team had beaten the home side after the siren in consecutive years. Some clubs wait decades to see one game where their team wins after the siren; we had seen it twice in the past two.

Scotty Lycett finally got his after the siren win against Port, kicking the ball himself to Gov, we proved everyone wrong, and this galvanised us to win the 2018 flag.

The Aftermath:
I think the best way to sum up the match is this image from Shmiddy15 straight after the win:

349a919c-b51b-4a69-a010-5c0a81ba92ce-png.541588

This game was no more, and no less, pure poetry. Although the whole match itself wasn't the greatest spectacle, and that might discount it somewhat in terms of this list, the ending had such weight and emotional resonance that I think it more than makes up for it. Was this better than Shuey's? 110%.

To come from hell and back proved that the flag was ours in 2018. No one could stand in our way, not Richmond, not Collingwood, not even the MCG deal; that was our flag, pure and simple.

Oh and it also lead to this (again):

jorel6669 you're up.

Last edited:

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Wow, I didn't see that coming as the #2 pick! But an amazing write-up, you had me enraptured!

You've also given me a free hit with my #3 pick. :D

Thanks CM9000!!

I was thinking of doing either the 1992 or 2006 GF, but I had my heart set on this one. Fresh enough in the memory to do it proper justice, and it really was a history making event.

#3 - 1992 Grand Final vs Geelong
Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
THE EAGLES ARE GOING
TO WIN THEIR FIRST FLAG

K3NQtI9.jpg

📺 IN 95 YEARS, THE PREMIERSHIP PENNANT HAS NEVER LEFT VICTORIA…📺

It had been 12 long months between Grand Finals. The West Coast Eagles were the competition pacesetters in 1991, winning their first 12 games. They would lose only 3 games during the regular season by a combined total of less than 3 goals. They would host the first VFL/AFL final outside of Victoria. But they would be taught a football lesson by the seasoned campaigners from Hawthorn, losing both the Qualifying Final and then the Grand Final in convincing fashion.

Despite the progressive rise of a 3rd place finish in 1990 to being runners-up in 1991, the return to the last day in September would be an arduous one during the season of 1992. A horrendous start to the season threatened to end it before it ever got going. The opening game of the season, against Sydney, ended in a 3 point loss (the Swans would be the season's wooden spooners). A win at home against the Saints would be followed by another home game, losing to Geelong. A goal after the siren would see the Brisbane Bears, who had never beaten the Eagles, draw their game at Carrara (Brisbane were the reigning wooden spooners and would finish second last this seaon). The Eagles would struggle to come from behind and beat Richmond (yet another cellar dweller of the era) by a solitary point at the MCG. A third away game in a row (this was a regular occurrence in those days) would see Fitzroy easily beat the Eagles in Tasmania. Seven rounds in (the Eagles had a round 1 bye) and their record would be 2 wins and a draw from 6 games and they had already played games against the bottom four from the previous season, recording just a win by 1 point and a draw. And if things seemed to be going from bad to worse, their next game was against the top of the table Footscray.

But the real West Coast Eagles would stand up and obliterate the Bulldogs with and 8 goal to nil opening term. They would continue their form to record 4 straight wins to climb up to third spot on the ladder by mid-season. The run was broken by a 1 point loss to Collingwood on a miserable mudheap of a day, but then a sequence of 4 wins and a loss carried out for the rest of the season. Ultimately, at the end of the home and away rounds, the Eagles were 4th but with a home Elimination Final against Hawthorn. In a bit of luck with the finals structure of the time, the winner of that final could qualify for the double chance Second Semi Final, should the 3rd place team (Collingwood) be beaten by the 6th place team (St. Kilda) in the other Elimination Final. The Saints pulled off the upset, and the Eagles were left to do the rest on a sunny Subiaco Sunday, knocking out their foes from the season past and moving on to a double chance date with the Cats.

And from there, the Eagles took their chance and destroyed Geelong in the Second Semi. It meant a week's break while the Cats had to get through a Preliminary Final against Footscray. Ultimately, it would be a huge factor.

The Grand Final was an experience in numbers for me, in many ways. I had ridden the fortunes of the team all season. For me, I just wanted them to do as well as possible. After the awful season's start, I didn't hold a lot of hope. After a run of four wins, I'd get excited again, only to come crashing down as the next game resulted in a loss. But there was a pattern and after a loss at the Western Oval in the second last round, a win at home over Carlton and two finals wins to make the Grand Final, the winning streak suddenly stood at three...

In the Qualifying Final, the Hawks kicked the first four goals. I was a budding stats guru at the time, and I told my mum that the last few games between the Eagles and Hawthorn saw the eventual loser kick the first four goals of the match. It would prove to be true again.

A lot of this game rested on whether key players were fit to play. Guy McKenna, Michael Brennan and Brett Heady all under injury clouds. A lot rested on the two Peters as well. The Matera version was labelled the danger man, having had a dominant Second Semi Final display against the Cats. While the Peter of the Sumich variety had booted 8 goals in that same clash. But perhaps, more than anything, it rested on the character of this team, who had experienced the heartbreak of 12 months prior, and the coach, who was driven to succeed in football's ultimate.

This was their coming of age. And they were ready.

f3pcAYg.gif

THE 1ST QUARTER

Your commentators are Sandy Roberts, Dennis Cometti and Ross Glendinning.

📺 DENNIS: SO THE MATCHUPS, VERY IMPORTANT. McINTOSH GOES DOWN ON BROWNLESS. AT THE OTHER END OF THE GROUND, DARCY HAS SUMICH. 📺

📺 DENNIS: WORSFOLD HAS ABLETT, IT SEEMS. 📺 📺 ROSS: AND BAIRSTOW ON MATERA! 📺

Scuffles start breaking out over the ground. Both teams bringing an aggressive mindset.

📺 SANDY: THE 92 GRAND FINAL IS UNDERWAY. 📺

The game was on and the ball would spill quickly to... duh dada duhhhh... Peter Matera.

📺 SANDY: MATERA WANTS AN EARLY TOUCH. AND HE’S GOING TO GET IT… FROM 52 METRES, MATERA’S LONG KICK IN TOWARDS GOAL IS ACROSS THE FACE, BUT IT’S THE FIRST SCORE OF THE DAY AND IT GOES TO THE WEST COAST EAGLES. KICKED BY THE DANGER MAN – PETER MATERA. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.1 1
Geelong 0.0 0

It wouldn't be long before the aggression starting getting a bit out of hand. A long flying shot by Barry Stoneham would drift wide and as John Worsfold tracked it to the boundary, Don Pyke would get his face in the way of Gary Ablett's elbow.

📺 DENNIS: AN EAGLE IS DOWN. ABLETT COLLECTED HIM, THAT’S PYKE. 📺

After a bit more play, the umpires halted play as Pyke is stretchered off. Not a great sign for our chances, boys and girls. As play resumes, a whisle goes.

📺 DENNIS: ALMOST PREDICATABLE THE UMPIRES WOULD PAY A FREE, ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. 📺

Trevor Poole held without football, and kicks the first goal of the game. For you Millennials, go and stump your friends with that bit of trivia.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.1 1
Geelong 1.0 6

A quick clearance from the centre bounce and Barry Stoneham swoops... ah *...

📺 SANDY: STONEHAM TOWARDS GOAL WITH THE LEFT FOOT. THERE’S ANOTHER ONE. A BIG START BY THE CATS. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.1 1
Geelong 2.0 12

Ablett decided he needed to get aquainted with more than just Pyke, as he collected Tony Evans after the next centre bounce. But the Eagles get it forward for some chances....

📺 DENNIS: HERE’S A CHANCE, SUMICH… THE ONLY MAN ON IF IT STAYS IN, IT RUNS AWAY FROM HIM. 📺

Sumich open but kick runs out of bounds, and needless to say, Suma is somewhat displeased.

Evans decides to get in the way of Tim McGrath's elbow, while the rest of the team tries to do anything but goal.

📺 SANDY: LANGDON THROUGH, THE LEFT FOOT BY KARL LANGDON IS AWAY TO THE LEFT. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.2 2
Geelong 2.0 12

📺 DENNIS: LANGDON… MISSES TO THE NEAR SIDE. BUT HE’S BUSY. AND AGGRESSIVE. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.3 4
Geelong 2.0 12

📺 DENNIS: MAINWARING THE OPPORTUNITY. 45 METRES OUT… KICKS… AND HE’S MISSED. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.4 4
Geelong 2.0 12

Heady gets a free kick for in the back.

📺 SANDY: FROM 45 METRES, HE TOO HAS MISSED, THIS TIME TO THE RIGHT. AND YET ANOTHER BEHIND. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
Geelong 2.0 12

Geelong captain Mark Bairstow gets a free kick at 50 after a bump by Matera but fails to score as he sends it out on the full, but soon after, Peter Riccardi pulls a goal out of his rectum, snapping on his natural left from the left pocket.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
Geelong 3.0 18

Geelong attack again, determined to really go for a knock out blow. Ablett unloads with his rocket launcher leg...

📺 DENNIS: GARY ABLETT. LEFT HALF FORWARD. MASSIVE SPIRAL… BENDING BACK… BACK THEY GO, McINTOSH – MARVELLOUS MARK! 📺

MHeVTof.gif

... while Brownless tries to make McIntosh's head part of the MCG drainage system.

The defence is working overtime as Geelong attack again, this time Riccardi in the Dom Sheed pocket – but he hits the post.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
Geelong 3.1 19

Fights are going on in the middle. The ball again in Cats forward 50.

📺 SANDY: COUCH A CLEVER TAP TO HOCKING! HOCKING FROM 20 METRES GOES BANG AND MISSES. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
Geelong 3.2 20

Geelong with a number of chances to really open up the game, it eventually is worked forward of centre...

📺 SANDY: BARNES WINS IT BUT STRAIGHT TO THE RUN OF MATERA, FROM 55, HE SETS SAIL FOR HOME WITH A MIGHTY KICK! WHAT A GOAL! 📺

cRHR8RO.gif

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
Geelong 3.2 20

Thank *, we're finally on the board and can work our way back into this thing.

Next up, Garry "Buddah aka Whiskers" Hocking clips the post.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
Geelong 3.3 21

Then Paul Couch storms to 50 and misses. * yeah, Geelong are blowing some chances now.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
Geelong 3.4 22

But the Cats stay composed going forward, as Brownless finds Leigh Matthews serial killer victim Neville Bruns.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
Geelong 4.4 28

We need to respond and Sumich soon marks inside 50.

📺 DENNIS: BIG DEEP BREATH FROM PETER SUMICH. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.5 17
Geelong 4.4 28

Stoneham has a flying shot from 50, he really could have had a massive quarter.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.5 17
Geelong 4.5 29

Ablett collects on the boundary and takes a left foot shot.

📺 DENNIS: ABLETT ON THE LEAD. WORSFOLD IN CLOSE ATTENDANCE. ABLETT HAS IT ON THE BOUNDARY LINE. NO MAGIC THIS TIME, OUT OF BOUNDS ON THE FULL. 📺

But as the quarter is closing out, Riccardi collects from a desperate scrap and handballs over to Brownless...

📺 DENNIS: PROBING KICK DOWN TOWARDS FULL FORWARD, THE EAGLES GET BACK IN STRENGTH. BUT IT FALLS THE RICCARDI. HE CAN’T PICK IT UP. RICCARDI’S IN TROUBLE NOW, GETS TO HIS FEET. OVER THE TOP TO BROWNLESS. GOAL! BILLY’S FIRST. 📺

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.5 17
Geelong 5.5 35

Mitchell White does his Ablett impression and puts a running left foot snap out of bounds on the full before Matera has a running shot right before the siren that goes wide for one behind.

QUARTER TIME SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.6 18
Geelong 5.5 35

It seemed like a wasteful quarter as the Eagles opened with 5 straight behinds while Geelong kicked their first 3, but things evened up as Matera and Sumich scored majors and Geelong fluffed numerous chances. The late Brownless goal was a sore spot, though. The Cats had momentum going into the second, and it would get worse before it got better...

THE 2ND QUARTER

Just a couple of minutes in, and the 1989 version of Gary Ablett was threatening to return.

📺 DENNIS: BAIRSTOW, HURRIED KICK DOWN TOWARDS HALF FORWARD. ABLETT, WORKS HIS WAY IN FRONT, OH BRILLIANT MARK. BODY TO BODY WITH WORSFOLD AND THEN FELL AWAY AT THE LAST MOMENT TO MARK IT ON HIS CHEST.

📺 ROSS: WHAT CAN YOU DO BUT APPLAUD? 📺

📺 DENNIS: HERE’S THE CHAMP, THEN. JUST OUTSIDE THE 50 – LAUNCHES ONE. HOOHAWHAW. MAGNIFICENT! 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.6 18
Geelong 6.5 41

Ah *, here we go. Things were looking very ominous, and then Ablett marks after the next centre bounce.

📺 SANDY: THIS TIME HE IS TOO FAR OUT. BAIRSTOW SAYING GO FOR HOME. WELL HE DOES, WITH A MAGNIFICENT KICK. OH, AND THE MARK’S BEEN TAKEN BY BROWNLESS! 📺

📺 SANDY: WHAT A START TO THIS SECOND QUARTER. AND AN OMINOUS OPENING FOR THE EAGLES. 📺

Fortunately, Brownless misses the difficult shot from the boundary.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.6 18
Geelong 6.6 42

The Eagles manage to work it forward and it would be a small cameo of Chris Waterman.... doing absolutely nothing of value.

📺 DENNIS: WATERMAN, THE LEFT FOOTER. HARD AGAINST THE BOUNDARY LINE BUT BAD SPOT FOR HIM. 📺

Waterman in the Dom Sheed pocket puts it out on the full.

Waterman puts it out on the full again.

Waterman snaps a loose ball from close in front and misses.

📺 DENNIS: THEY CAN’T BUY A GOAL, THE WEST COAST EAGLES. 📺

No s**t, Dennis.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 2.7 19
Geelong 6.6 42

Now remember, back in this era of football, a 3-4 goal lead was very difficult to claw back. Teams didn't flood, so it was difficult to stop a team on a roll, as you relied on winning one-on-one contests. It would take some individual brilliance to spark the side and that would come, in the form of Peter Matera.

📺 SANDY: MATERA, SOMEHOW GETS OUT OF JAIL. PETER MATERA, 52 METRES, PULLS IT BACK. WHAT A MAGNIFICENT KICK FOR GOAL! 📺

📺 DENNIS: OH! 📺

📺 SANDY: HE CAN FIRE THEM UP! 📺

vUmql5U.gif

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 3.7 25
Geelong 6.6 42

📺 DENNIS: IF IT WERE BRIDGE, PETER MATERA JUST TRUMPED GARY ABLETT. 📺

Dennis would get more creative later in the day.

The spark was somewhat short lived as Hocking gets a free kick and finds Brownless on an open lead, having fooled McIntosh that the first lead he made wasn't going to be honoured. And the husband of the future Mrs Garry Lyon would extend the lead again to close to 4 goals.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 3.7 25
Geelong 7.6 48

At this point, Heady is moved into the midfield. Malthouse had thrown the team around for this game. Michael Brennan, the club's preferred fullback, was not at full fitness, so with McIntosh preferred for the job on Brownless, Brennan played predominately as a forward ruck. When Don Pyke went down early, Guy McKenna was shifted to try and shutdown Hocking. And with Couch damaging early, Brett Heady was moved into the midfield, as 1991 golden boy come 1992 split scrotum victim, Craig Turley, shifted forward (and did nothing).

Sumich receives a freek kick for a hold but decides to Sumich it, in a bad way.

📺 SANDY: SET SHOTS HAVE SOMETIMES LET HIM DOWN. 📺

Sumich sprays it out on the full. The Geelong crowd jeers. Yeah, yeah.

📺 ROSS: YOU SAID IT SANDY. 📺

Insightful comment from Glendinning. We then cross to feed of Steve’s Hotel in Nedlands, which is the epicentre of Eagles fandom. The shameful early 90s fashion on full display.

📺 SANDY: THEY CAN’T BELIEVE IT AT HOME. DON’T WORRY. IT’S NOT HALF TIME YET. 📺

Eagles free to Mitchell White for deliberate out of bounds. Kicks across the face, doesn’t score and Geelong clear. Even though I lived it, it just doesn't make sense that Mitchell White was in this premiership team and not the 1994 team. He had a much greater impact a few years after, but this was his only flag.

Lewis gets a free and sends it into the forward 50. Geelong fullback Tim Darcy falls awkwardly in a contest, allowing Sumich to comeout on a lead...

📺 DENNIS: NOW SUMICH, MEANTIME, SEIZES ON THE MOMENT, GOES ON A LEAD… IT COMES BACK TO THE HOBBLING DARCY. HIGH DRAMA IN DEFENCE. DARCY GIVES IT AWAY! HARDING 20 METRES OUT… HAS MISSED! 📺

📺 DENNIS: QUITE REMARKABLE SCENES AT THE MELBOURNE CRICKET GROUND. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 3.8 26
Geelong 7.6 48

We desperately need a goal, and it come from an unlikely source. The kick out goes long to the centre, Harding fists it back forward.

📺 SANDY: LANGDON A CHANCE TO GIVE IT AWAY. HE DOES. EVANS CAN MAKE AMENDS AND THIS TIME… HE MAKES NO MISTAKE! 📺

xyGOw0q.gif

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 4.8 32
Geelong 7.6 48

It's not long and the little campaigner does it again.

📺 DENNIS: TAKEN NOW BY EVANS, WHO CHANGED HIS MIND IN MID AIR. CHANGES HIS MIND AGAIN. FROM 45 METRES OUT IT’S ANOTHER GOAL! 📺

CphseQj.gif

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
Geelong 7.6 48

A few minutes of back and forth attacks before Ablett launches again from 50 and just misses. This game is white hot.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
Geelong 7.7 49

A bit more back and forth and then Geelong legend Russell Merriman misses close in under pressure.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
Geelong 7.8 50

A few minutes before halftime, Couch marks in the pocket but Worsfold gives away 50 and a certain goal.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
Geelong 8.8 56

After all our efforts, the margin is greater than it was at quarter time. It seems like Geelong may have our measure. We need something special.

Just over a minute to go and Matera gets an Eagles free kick overturned at Geelong’s half forward line. The Eagles manage to defend through McIntosh and Evans. Inside a minute, it’s at Geelong’s half forward. Eagles push forward, Geelong repel but it comes back through a Langdon kick.

📺 DENNIS: PICKED UP BY SUMICH. SUMICH’S SNAP IS A GOOD LOOKING ONE. IT’S BENDING AROUND THE POST. I THINK IT MIGHT BE A GOAL! IT IS! REMARKABLE! 📺

vnXxtrk.gif

Margin back to 12 points with seconds to go. Players go off at half time, there are spot fires over the ground as the players throw their weight around.

📺 SANDY: IT’S HOT IN THE KITCHEN AND THEY ALL KNOW IT. SO IT SHOULD BE. 📺

HALF TIME SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 6.8 44
Geelong 8.8 56

Phew. We're just in this. The game is on a knife's edge and the Cats have threatened to blow this one out, but some great efforts by not only the goalscorers but the entire team have seen the Eagles keep in touch. A year ago, the margin was 10 points and despite kicking with the breeze, the Eagles could not lessen it during the third. But that simply had to. What was coming up is widely known as the premiership quarter.

It would be one for the ages.​

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
THE 3RD QUARTER

📺 DENNIS: INTRIGUING SITUATION THIS ONE. THE EAGLES HAVE TRAILED AT HALFTIME IN NINE GAMES THIS SEASON. THEY’RE THE BEST COME-FROM-BEHIND SIDE IN THE LEAGUE, THEY’VE COME BACK TO WIN FIVE. THE BEST RATIO IN THE AFL. SO IF YOU WERE STAGE MANAGING THIS, THIS IS THE WAY YOU WOULD SET IT UP. 📺

📺 SANDY: HMMM. 3RD IN 1990. 2ND IN '91, CAN THEY TAKE THE NEXT STEP? CAN GEELONG BREAK A 29 YEAR DROUGHT? 📺

The Eagles get it forward first and Turley slips, missing a chance to have a shot. Geelong clear but Heady marks on the wing and sends it back in.

📺 ROSS: SUMICH GOING CROOK AT CRAIG TURLEY THERE, SAYING, “YOU’RE IN MY TERRITORY.” 📺

Geelong clear, Ablett tries to take out Jakovich in the centre square. He probably should have stayed picking on Pyke. The Eagles press again and Lewis juggles a mark and........ ah *, he misses.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 6.9 45
Geelong 8.8 56

Geelong work it forward but Eagles repel. Again they attack but McIntosh gets it out. Hocking runs it forward and Brownless dishes to Ablett who slams through the first goal of the term. s**t.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 6.9 45
Geelong 9.8 62

Back to the quarter time margin… crowd is humming. Ablett gets a free, goes for another launch but miscues, loose ball and Waterman almost holding the ball. The game is threatening to go Geelong's way and the Eagles need a catalyst again. They get it forward.

📺 DENNIS: LANGDON WITH GREAT COURAGE, MANUFACTURES A CHANCE FOR EVANS WHO KICKS A GOAL. 📺

FktXjC8.gif

Evans now has 3 goals and the margin is back to within 2 goals. It's still manageable.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 7.9 51
Geelong 9.8 62

Geelong attack, Eagles repel. Eagles force it forward and Lewis snaps and misses.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 7.10 52
Geelong 9.8 62

Eagles lock it in their forward line for a ball up. There's a humming silence of anticipation. This game is about to turn and it would be epic...

📺 DENNIS: WILSON… LIKE A CORK IN THE OCEAN, OVER HIS HEAD… OH MY WORD! WHAT A GOAL! 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 8.10 58
Geelong 9.8 62

📺 SANDY: THE EAGLES ARE SET TO POUNCE, CAN THE CATS ANSWER? FROM THE MIDDLE, SIMPSON CRASHES TO THE GROUND. KEMP GOES STORMING THROUGH. ACROSS TO HEADY. A DELICATE LITTLE CHIP TO THE RUN OF MATERA. SUDDENLY THE EAGLES ARE ALIGHT. MATERA SETS SAIL FOR HOME… AND THE EAGLES HIT THE FRONT! 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 9.10 64
Geelong 9.8 62

It was at this point, I shall regail you with a tale. My mum is a rabid Eagles fan. Back in those days, she would scream at the TV, she attended every home game and screamed there, and on this day, she was at her absolute screaming best. My old man, who was an Eagles fan, being a WA born lad, and a Perth Demons man from way back. Given he had not seen the Demons win a flag since the year before his only son was born, I think the Eagles were filling in the void for him. He wasn't rabid, just supportive of the side that represented WA. Year's later, he would turn like a campaigner and become a Fremantle supporter. It makes me sick to even think about it. But on this day, he'd had enough of Mum's antics and she got banished to sit out the back if she couldn't behave. She couldn't, so she went outside and did not watch the remainder of the game (from around midway through the first quarter on). I think, and this is vague memory, she got sent outside, Matera finally goaled for our first, so we were like, "Stay outside, they kick them when you're not watching!" :p

Anyway, she would tell us she knew when the Eagles hit the front, as she could hear the entire neighbourhood erupt.

Yeah, that's the story. Back to the game.

WE'RE IN FRONT!! WHAT THE *???

Cats attack but Eagles repel again. Ball up at Eagles half forward, Geelong go forward but McKenna marks and delivers to Matera who finds Sumich on the lead. Sumich chips to Evans who then misses.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 9.11 65
Geelong 9.8 62

Eagles lock it in their forward half. Lewis snaps again but Geelong defend to rush a behind.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 9.12 66
Geelong 9.8 62

Geelong work it out but Heady marks on the wing and sends it forward. Geelong get a free in the last line and they work along the wing. Mainwaring sends it back in but it’s again repelled by future Fremantle failure Andrew Wills. Barnes fires a Polly Farmer handball to Bairstow but McIntosh cuts it off to send it to Matera. Matera takes off and tries to baulk Robert Scott hilariously, Road Runner style.

rBWNjau.gif

After some stoppages, Glen Jakovich gathers and gallops to 50 only to miss. Gee he gets hungry when he see those goals.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 9.13 67
Geelong 9.8 62

Eagles work a couple of attacks before Heady finds Sumich on the lead.

📺 SANDY: DROP PUNT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. IT’S ANOTHER ONE TO THE EAGLES. THREE TO SUMICH AND THE EAGLES SAY, “CATCH US IF YOU CAN.” 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 10.13 73
Geelong 9.8 62

It's now seeming like a reverse of the first half. Geelong press but the Eagles hold firm.

📺 DENNIS: BEHIND THE PACK, KEMP WITH DASH COMES AWAY FROM CENTRE HALF BACK TOWARDS HALF FORWARD. LANGDON WORKED UNDER THE BALL BY McGRATH. QUICK HANDS FROM BRENNAN, TOO QUICK, BUT IT COMES BACK TO MATERA. MATERA ON THE 50, HE COULD KICK THIS. MATERA… IT’S GOING TO BE A GOAL! THE WEST COAST EAGLES NOW ARE LOOKING VERY GOOD. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 11.13 79
Geelong 9.8 62

Less than a quarter ago, it was Geelong up by a similar margin. It's been a huge turnaround.

Eagles attack, Geelong repel, Eagles send it back to the wing. Free to Stoneham. Sends it forward and Bairstow misses a snap.

SCORE:
Geelong 9.9 63

Geelong attack again but Hinkley hits the post

SCORE:
Geelong 9.10 64

Several contests between wing and half forward. Matera runs to 50 and hits the post with a minute and a half to go.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 11.14 80
Geelong 9.10 64

Ball up at half forward. Several handballs and Brennan misses with 13 seconds to go.

📺 SANDY: THE EAGLES ARE SETUP FOR THEIR FIRST FLAG. AT THREE QUARTER TIME THEY LEAD 11.15 81. GEELONG ARE 9.10 64. 📺

THREE QUARTER TIME SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 11.15 81
Geelong 9.10 64

What a quarter. The Eagles stamped their authority with Matera brilliance mixed with a repeat of the Langdon/Evans combo, Wilson's insane determination to kick over his ******* head, and Sumich's reliability to snag a goal per quarter. We've held Geelong up and we've got this game by the balls (perhaps someone found Turley's out there?).

THE 4TH QUARTER

📺 SANDY: SO HERE WE GO, IT’S ALL COME DOWN TO THIS. A YEAR’S WORK. THE EAGLES LOOKING FOR THEIR FIRST AFL PREMIERSHIP. THE CATS LOOKING TO BREAK A 29 YEAR DROUGHT. 📺

Geelong push forward but Eagles repel, Mainwaring wins it on the wing and stabs to Lewis, who goes short to Sumich on the lead. Matera then runs past and Sumich handballs it over as Matera runs into the open goalsquare.

q7LarOA.gif

📺 SANDY: HOW’S THIS FOR A GOAL? PETER MATERA THERE’S ANOTHER ONE. CATS ASTOUNDED AS MATERA BOOTS HIS FIFTH. 📺

THREE QUARTER TIME SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 12.15 87
Geelong 9.10 64

Geelong make some attacking runs before Kemp gets called for deliberate out of bounds. Brownless has a shot from the boundary and goals to give Geelong a sniff.

SCORE:
Geelong 10.10 70

Cats have 20 minutes to get back into it. The crowd is at fever pitch as Bairstow has a running shot but McIntosh touches it on the goal line.

SCORE:
Geelong 10.11 71

Geelong press forward but the Eagles repel. Geelong send it back forward but again the Eagles reel. Barnes marks and sends it back in but the Eagles get it out again. Cats making sloppy errors going forward, killing several attacks. Heady then snares a half volley and delivers to Sumich on the lead. He goes back and goals to stretch the lead.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 13.15 93
Geelong 10.11 71

Sumich gets a relayed free kick and slots another to make it very difficult for Geelong.

📺 DENNIS: WELL, WHAT A KICK THIS IS. HISTORY IN THE MAKING. SUMICH, 25 METRES OUT, KICKS IT. AND YOU GET THE FEELING THE EAGLES MAY NOT BE CAUGHT. 📺

📺 ROSS: IT’S GOING TO NEED AN EFFORT FROM GEELONG LIKE THEY DID IN ’89 AGAINST HAWTHORN, TO COME BACK TO TRY AND SNATCH THIS GAME. 📺

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 14.15 99
Geelong 10.11 71

Kemp sends it forward again and Wilson marks.

📺 SANDY: HE’S GOT IT. HE’S GOT IT. AND THE EAGLES SENSE THEY’VE GOT THE FLAG. 📺

wg2FfuC.gif

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 15.15 105
Geelong 10.11 71

The EEEEEAGLES! EEEEEAGLES! Chant goes up around the MCG.

Hinkley then marks and goals.

SCORE:
Geelong 11.11 77

There is under 15 minutes to go but in this era, as mentioned before, overcoming even a 3-4 goal margin is difficult. This would take 5 goals, unanswered, for Geelong to pinch this flag. Mansfield marks inside 50. His kick misses but a free kick is given to McIntosh and no score. Ball stays within forward 50 until a throw against Matera is called. Scott has a long shot that falls short and the Eagles clear. Geelong go forward again and the Eagles get a free kick to clear again. Brownless marks at 50 and his shot is rushed through by McKenna.

SCORE:
Geelong 11.12 78

Jakovich marks and the Eagles clear and a throw in at Eagles half forward with 10 minutes remaining. Riccardi gets it on the wing and sends it forward, the Eagles hold it up until Ablett snaps and puts it out on the full. Hinkley marks another kick forward and misses.

SCORE:
Geelong 11.13 79

Eagles defend another attack and then attack themselves. Sumich gets a holding free but misses.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 15.16 106
Geelong 11.13 79

A long kick by White is touched and rolls over for a behind.

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 15.17 107
Geelong 11.13 79

Eagles go forward again. Eagles chant gets louder and louder. It falls into the leading arms of Peter Sumich.

📺 SANDY: EAGLES SUPPORTERS AND FANS REALISING NOW THEY’VE GOT THE FLAG AS SUMICH TAKES THE MARK JUST TWENTY METRES OUT. 📺

Sumich has a shot from the Dom Sheed pocket. EEEEEAGLES! EEEEEAGLES! Chant goes up again.

📺 SANDY: HE USES THAT HELICOPTER KICK AND IT WORKS. THEY’VE GOT IT! THE EAGLES HAVE GOT IT! 📺

8Fy0GdM.gif

SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 16.17 113
Geelong 11.13 79

📺 DENNIS: IT WILL BE A DAY ETCHED IN FOOTBALL HISTORY. THE NATIONAL COMPETITION HAS COME OF AGE. 📺

Ablett gets a free kick and puts through the final goal of the match in his second grand final in a row. He would go on to lose two more Grand Finals.

FINAL SCORE:
West Coast Eagles 16.17 113
Geelong 12.13 85

The final minute plays out with chants of EEEEEAGLES! EEEEEAGLES! In the background. You can feel the lump in the throat. It's happening. It's actually happening. As an Eagles fan back then, we had hopes. But the reality was about to set in...

📺 SANDY: IT’S A GAME OF POSSESSION NOW WITH ONLY SECONDS REMAINING. EVANS MAY HAVE THE LAST KICK IN THIS GRAND FINAL....
THE EAGLES ARE GOING TO WIN THEIR FIRST FLAG.
📺

QylpDXh.gif
YvhOn2t.gif

6kHw8ca.gif
EwLwaQn.gif

y5IT6XS.gif
V6bjUje.gif

AeGinon.gif

Peter Matera would be adjudged best on field and receive the Norm Smith Medal. And captain John Worsfold and coach Michael Malthouse would lift the cup for the first time in the club's history.

zQsqXuz.gif
lhSF8LC.gif

It was an amazing day and an amazing game. The story, a culmination of being a club that was meant to fail, only entered into a foreign competition as a source of money to save it, a club that was forced into such a poor deal that it was on the brink of collapse at the closure of the 80s. It took the right people, and being forced to be a trendsetter by going with youth over experience to make this side a power club.

When you look at our entire history of some 30+ years, it's a sin that this game was allowed to slip to 3rd in this ranking, and it can slip no further, as it surely is our best ever game in terms of overall importance and, in my opinion, only rivaled by our 2018 flag win.

It was the day the national competition came of age and even though, in many ways, it still has a long way to go, the West Coast Eagles set the standard for future non-Victorian clubs and even Victorian teams to look to. This was a special game that every Eagles supporter should reacquaint themselves with on the regular. Cherish it always.

The West Coast Eagles - Premiers 1992!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back