Up the Coasters West Coast Eagles - Best Ever Games (The Game)

Remove this Banner Ad

eagles_4_life

Team Captain
May 15, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Let me set the scene...

Final siren:

hqdefault.jpg

1005021_thumb_326x184.jpg

You campaigners know what happened next (week, when we also came back from a long way down against Carlton at home).

Round 10, 2006 - Geelong vs West Coast

Do I even need to add anything?

- No Chris Judd
- Lost to them by 75 points last year
- Down by 54 halfway into the third quarter
- HUNTERRRRRRR kicking the winning goal
- Matt Priddis' debut game

In my opinion the finest non-finals win by us, and unfortunately the last time we also won at Kardinia Park. The win that gave us the belief for a flag, the win that (almost) stopped the Geelong dynasty before it even begun, and the win where our future Brownlow medallist made his debut.
Great game! Is this the one where Mooney almost killed hunter by pushing him into the concrete dugout?

Still maintain if we'd beat them in 07 which we would have if hunter and Armstrong hadn't stuffed up a hand pass the geelong dynasty would never have happened.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Great game! Is this the one where Mooney almost killed hunter by pushing him into the concrete dugout?

Still maintain if we'd beat them in 07 which we would have if hunter and Armstrong hadn't stuffed up a hand pass the geelong dynasty would never have happened.
We would have given them a fair shake in 07.

I know they say Kerr would have played a grand final/prelim but. We really didn't have Judd, Cousins or Kerr if we met them in the prelim.

#9 - 2018 2nd Preliminary Final vs Melbourne
Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
M1.JPG

M13.jpg

M14.jpg

M15.jpg

M16.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So in the 2018 Second Preliminary Final somehow the wooden spooners beat the Premiers? How does that work? Oh well, at least we all now get to witness this glorious clip show from the most hilarious game of 2018.

Let me set the scene.

Melbourne are the roaring favourites. Each time they score a goal the screens will cut the the Demons fans in Melbourne, imagine if they got held goalless to half time. Imagine.

Jordan Lewis was kind enough to score us our first goal

Comical

I wish I could get paid to be bad at football and embarrass an entire state

:moustache:

M11.jpg

Clayton questioning the umpire on why this game is being played in Perth and not Melbourne

M5.jpg

Gee

It's always a good time when you're so good that you start accidentally scoring goals

We also love it when the opposition are so shell-shocked that they forget the rules

M8.jpg

Goodwin: "Yeah look boys, we're cooked here and Clayton is an ugly campaigner. So there's no winners from our camp"

Our boy, Flyin' can play footy

Biggest game of your life. Preliminary final. Whole country watching. You get caught holding the ball twice in a row in the same chase and the second one is by a fatboy who's pregame ritual is 4 Whoppers and a Mrs Macs meat pie.

M10.jpg

Luke Shuey with an iced up ankle post game, damn I hope he plays in the Grand Final and if he does, hopefully he isn't too hampered.

M12.jpg

Still the greatest image on BigFooty. Hahahahahahaha

You campaigners know what happened next.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 773455

View attachment 773462

View attachment 773464

View attachment 773465

View attachment 773466

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So in the 2018 Second Preliminary Final somehow the wooden spooners beat the Premiers? How does that work? Oh well, at least we all now get to witness this glorious clip show from the most hilarious game of 2018.

Let me set the scene.

Melbourne are the roaring favourites. Each time they score a goal the screens will cut the the Demons fans in Melbourne, imagine if they got held goalless to half time. Imagine.

Jordan Lewis was kind enough to score us our first goal

Comical

I wish I could get paid to be bad at football and embarrass an entire state

:moustache:

View attachment 773474
Clayton questioning the umpire on why this game is being played in Perth and not Melbourne

View attachment 773471
Gee

It's always a good time when you're so good that you start accidentally scoring goals

We also love it when the opposition are so shell-shocked that they forget the rules

View attachment 773473
Goodwin: "Yeah look boys, we're cooked here and Clayton is an ugly campaigner. So there's no winners from our camp"

Our boy, Flyin' can play footy

Biggest game of your life. Preliminary final. Whole country watching. You get caught holding the ball twice in a row in the same chase and the second one is by a fatboy who's pregame ritual is 4 Whoppers and a Mrs Macs meat pie.

View attachment 773475
Luke Shuey with an iced up ankle post game, damn I hope he plays in the Grand Final and if he does, hopefully he isn't too hampered.

View attachment 773476
Still the greatest image on BigFooty. Hahahahahahaha

You campaigners know what happened next.

That Lecras goal is so similar to Rioli's in the Grand Fina during the first quarter (our first and desperately needed goal). Makes me wonder if they'd practice that sort of thing when mucking around.

I love that shot of the commentary team at half time. It's so unprofessional to have an ex Melbourne captain and and ex Melbourne coach doing the overage of their own team. Like some said on here, it was as I'd they'd just been informed of a death of a close friend.

eagles_4_life

Team Captain
May 15, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
We would have given them a fair shake in 07.

I know they say Kerr would have played a grand final/prelim but. We really didn't have Judd, Cousins or Kerr if we met them in the prelim.
I meant the game earlier in the year. If we won it geelong never would have had the confidence to go on as they did.

Although who knows what impact dank had at the time. Still surprises me that it doesn't lead people to question their flags like they do our 06 one

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I meant the game earlier in the year. If we won it geelong never would have had the confidence to go on as they did.

Although who knows what impact dank had at the time. Still surprises me that it doesn't lead people to question their flags like they do our 06 one
Just did a quick look, to try and remember this game you're talking about. We only played Geelong once in 2007 and it was a 39point loss at Kardinya Park....

I completely agree about the Dank and Geelong thing. There are ZERO questions ever asked about Geelong and Dank. It's almost as though they realised they did but don't want to have illegitimate premierships. So they've done some good sweeping under the rug.

eagles_4_life

Team Captain
May 15, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just did a quick look, to try and remember this game you're talking about. We only played Geelong once in 2007 and it was a 39point loss at Kardinya Park....

I completely agree about the Dank and Geelong thing. There are ZERO questions ever asked about Geelong and Dank. It's almost as though they realised they did but don't want to have illegitimate premierships. So they've done some good sweeping under the rug.
From memory(so very fallible) we were coming back in the 3rd at kardinya like the year before, armstrong or hunter took a mark 20 out tried to get it over the top to the other one. They ****ed it up killed the momentum and geelong won. Evidently by 39 points.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
From memory(so very fallible) we were coming back in the 3rd at kardinya like the year before, armstrong or hunter took a mark 20 out tried to get it over the top to the other one. They f’ed it up killed the momentum and geelong won. Evidently by 39 points.
I think your memory may be off. They kicked 6 goals to our none in the 3rd. Its where the damage was done. All the other quarters were basically even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#10 - 2007 Round 1 vs Sydney
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Let me set the scene. The year is 2007. The round is 1. West Coast are the reigning premiers and are travelling to Sydney to take on the Swans at Stadium Australia, thus beginning the tradition of the Eagles travelling as far away from home as possible after winning a flag.

West Coast and Sydney were well entrenched into one of the greatest rivalries in Australian Sport. It was a typical good guys v bad guys situation. Sydney were AFL houses darlings with an amazing "bloods culture" and we were the brash superstar party boys.

Prior to this game the last 5 contests included two Qualifying Finals, two Grand Finals and a regular season fixture with a combined margin of 12 points.

The teams also had a Brownlow medalists from each of the last four years.

Now to the game.

The game almost mirrored the 2006 Grand Final exactly. West Coast getting out to a winning position at half time, the Swans pegging it back and Goodes kicking the first of the last quarter.

Q1.
WCE 6.0
Syd 3.4

Q2.
WCE 10.2
Syd 3.8

Q.3
WCE 10.6
Syd 6.11

Q.4
WCE 11.8
Syd 10.13

Without two of the Coasters quartet of the Greatest Centre Square in the History of mankind it was up to Juddy and Kerry to carry the load for the team.

CJ: This game was IMO the start of the peakest Judd anyone ever saw. Not only was Judd considered the best player in the game, he was considered one of the GOAT'S if not the GOAT already and having only played 5 years. Unfortunately this Judd was only around for half a season until his groin busted up. 27 disposals, 18 of them kicks, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances, 5 i50's and a lazy 2 goals. It was almost rinse and repeat. This guy turned contested footy into uncontested footy. If you were unlucky to not have seen Judd in the first half of 2007, I couldn't recommend more to watch them. He was incredible. I still haven't seen a player get close to that level in my time.

DK: This is pretty peak Kerr too. Bash and crash. Bottom of the pack. In your face. Twisting and turning. Running bounces. Shooting off creative handballs. Whilst his stat line is bloody impressive the way he used the ball was genius. 28 touches, 21 contested, 17 handballs, 7 tackles and 5 clearances. However no one remembers that. They all remember Mitch Browns debut......... and this match saving tackle. In red time and the 5 minute warning.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 10.42.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.58.08 pm.png

From the season opener we looked strong and dominant. Missing two of our greatest players ever and our premiership CHF we looked pretty ******* good. Wirrpanda and Waters were raking it up in the backline. Glass was sturdy. Lynch was marking, U-turning and bombing long. We debuted Mitch Brown and it looked like we added a dominant CHF to our dominant midfield. Life was good. We looked invincible and the players certainly knew it and partied like it. There wasn't a thing in sight that could derail our season....

This game was probably the second last chapter of that incredible rivalry. The last being the Cousins return game, a blow out of 12 points to WCE. Overall we split the flags and finals. We split the Brownlow medals. We did however finish on top in the ledger 5-2.

#11- 1992 Round 19 vs Geelong
Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Just saw the date haha

Ah well.

Couple I remembered today:

Rd19 1992

West Coast def Geelong at Kardinia Park by 19 points.

I remember listening to this game on my little radio in the backyard. (Was very hard to get WCE games on radio into Adelaide back then)

I was so excited when we burst out of the blocks in the 1st qtr.

We led:

WCE 7.2
Geel 2.2

The cats came back a bit in the last but a Karl Langdon spinning goal from the boundary sealed it.

Great times.

And rd7 1993

Once again defeated Geelong at KP.

Just a great win.

Flick it to the 44 min mark for Matera magic!!

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also have very fond memories of the 91 Prelim.

Watched in my bedroom nervous as anything.

Sumich was brilliant.

Just a great slogging win that Im sure took it out of us and contributed to our poor 4th qtr in the 91 GF as well as Hawks with a week off.

But I still LOVE that 91 Prelim

I'll use my previous posts.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree that the first half of 2007 was peak Judd and I have never seen anyone reach those levels before or since.

Ablett is probably the best midfielder I've ever seen, because he maintained a high level for so long, but he never came close to peak Judd. The candle that burns brightest etc.

Carlton Judd was good, but he lost a fair bit of his explosiveness after that groin injury. I'm still livid at the club for plonking him in a forward pocket and being forced to watch him hobble around like a cripple. He was probably always going to leave, but I reckon the mismanagement of his groin I jury contributed to his decision.

Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox. We'll never see anything like that again. Or anything like that Sydney rivalry.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
So folks, at the end of Round 1 of our best ever games, this is our top 11...

#1 2018 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 11.13 (79) defeat Collingwood 11.8 (74) at the MCG (Game Day thread)
#2 2018 Round 21 - West Coast Eagles 9.8 (62) defeat Port Adelaide 9.4 (58) at the Adelaide Oval (Game Day thread)
#3 1992 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 16.17 (113) defeat Geelong 12.13 (85) at the MCG
#4 2011 Second Semi Final - West Coast Eagles 15.11 (101) defeat Carlton 15.8 (98) at Subiaco Oval (Game Day thread)
#5 2017 First Elimination Final - West Coast Eagles 12.6 (78) defeat Port Adelaide 10.16 (76) in extra time at the Adelaide Oval (Game Day thread)
#6 2006 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 12.13 (85) defeat Sydney 12.12 (84) at the MCG (Game Day thread)
#7 1994 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 20.23 (143) defeat Geelong 8.15 (63) at the MCG
#8 2006 Round 10 - West Coast Eagles 16.5 (101) defeat Geelong 15.8 (98) at Kardinia Park (Game Day thread)
#9 2018 Second Preliminary Final - West Coast Eagles 18.13 (121) defeat Melbourne 7.13 (55) at Perth Stadium (Game Day thread)
#10 2007 Round 1 - West Coast Eagles 11.8 (74) defeat Sydney 10.13 (73) at Stadium Australia (Game Day thread)
#11 1992 Round 19 - West Coast Eagles 15.6 (96) defeat Geelong 12.5 (77) at Kardinia Park

How does this stack up for you?

Personally, I have to have Grand Final wins as our best games. Just a given, in my mind. My order (of the games selected) would be:
#1 2018 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 11.13 (79) defeat Collingwood 11.8 (74) at the MCG
#2 1992 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 16.17 (113) defeat Geelong 12.13 (85) at the MCG
#3 2006 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 12.13 (85) defeat Sydney 12.12 (84) at the MCG
#4 1994 Grand Final - West Coast Eagles 20.23 (143) defeat Geelong 8.15 (63) at the MCG
#5 2017 First Elimination Final - West Coast Eagles 12.6 (78) defeat Port Adelaide 10.16 (76) in extra time at the Adelaide Oval
#6 2006 Round 10 - West Coast Eagles 16.5 (101) defeat Geelong 15.8 (98) at Kardinia Park
#7 2011 Second Semi Final - West Coast Eagles 15.11 (101) defeat Carlton 15.8 (98) at Subiaco Oval
#8 2018 Second Preliminary Final - West Coast Eagles 18.13 (121) defeat Melbourne 7.13 (55) at Perth Stadium
#9 2007 Round 1 - West Coast Eagles 11.8 (74) defeat Sydney 10.13 (73) at Stadium Australia
#10 2018 Round 21 - West Coast Eagles 9.8 (62) defeat Port Adelaide 9.4 (58) at the Adelaide Oval
#11 1992 Round 19 - West Coast Eagles 15.6 (96) defeat Geelong 12.5 (77) at Kardinia Park

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree that the first half of 2007 was peak Judd and I have never seen anyone reach those levels before or since.

Ablett is probably the best midfielder I've ever seen, because he maintained a high level for so long, but he never came close to peak Judd. The candle that burns brightest etc.

Carlton Judd was good, but he lost a fair bit of his explosiveness after that groin injury. I'm still livid at the club for plonking him in a forward pocket and being forced to watch him hobble around like a cripple. He was probably always going to leave, but I reckon the mismanagement of his groin I jury contributed to his decision.

Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox. We'll never see anything like that again. Or anything like that Sydney rivalry.

Probably the peakest of footballers. I would always pick Judd 05-07 over any other footballer in a schoolyard fantasy draft style game.

He kind of morphed into a Daniel Kerr with his use of handball at Carlton. Not as brash or crash bang, but he learnt in tight creative handballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back