Up the Coasters West Coast Eagles - Best Ever Games (The Game)

Remove this Banner Ad

#1 - 2018 Grand Final vs Collingwood
  • Dec 8, 2006
    WA
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    I had a few games up my sleeve depending on where I ended up, but with the first pick there can only be one choice.

The 2018 AFL Grand Final

West Coast 11.13 (79) def. Collingwood 11.8 (74)

Goals
    3: Kennedy
    1: Hutchings, Shuey, Darling, :hearteyes::moustache:Sheed:moustache::hearteyes:, Yeo, Cripps, Vardy, Rioli

Best
    Shuey, Sheed, Barrass, Kennedy, Hutchings, Schofield, McGovern

I'm cheating a bit somewhat because I've posted a lot of this before in the heat of the moment. It's better that way. I have added it it though :innocent:

The 2018 season was like living in Trumpland, where facts don't matter.

Heading into the game we were 4-1 against the rest of the top 4. 5-0 if you consider home and away ladder rather than preliminary finalists. Our one loss was a narrow loss to Melbourne in Round 22 when Kennedy didn't play and Darling was knocked out in the first quarter. The "experts" tipped against us in every single final. Our record was fake news.

Undefeated in Victoria. I'm not 100% certain but I suspect we may be the first non-Vic team to boast such a record. We even beat Collingwood at the MCG earlier in the year after losing Nic Nat before half time. Ignored and forgotten. Our record was fake news. We were the Weak Coast Eagles in the newspaper we apparently own (according to the Purple Muppets). The Nose even queried Simpson on the club's culture.

Gaff was worse than Hitler.

We were considered "lucky" to beat Collingwood in the Qualifying Final. Melbourne "didn't show up". Our Grand Final place was "wasted" on us. * off. The fairytale narrative was on.

Then the mental gymnastics continued in Grand Final week where the MCG is a neutral ground the Eagles can't win at because it's Collingwood's home ground. Similar to the doublethink whereby Nic Nat is overrated, doesn't rack up enough possessions, but the Eagles can't win without him. I love Victorian "experts" sometimes. Especially Robert Walls
    :lol:

It was us vs them and that's a position the Eagles thrive in.

And then the game itself. Jesus Christ a Grand Final for the ages. 5.0 to 0.2 in the blink of an eye. But what separated this West Coast team from previous ones is sheer grit. We fought and fought and fought over the next two quarters to tie it up at three quarter time. Sidebottom was a non-factor. Grundy was a non-factor. Cox was handed a football lesson by Tommy Barrass. What the * was going on?

Then Collingwood slammed on the first two goals of the last quarter and I punched the wall with both fists.

You campaigners know what happened next.

That last play. It will live on in West Coast folklore, up there with Matera setting sail for home in 92 and the Chick smother, handpass, shepherd, Hunter goal in 06.

Jeremy McGovern, the highest paid footballer in WA history, who we discovered post-match was hospitalised for two nights after the Prelim with internal bleeding, took a big contested mark in defence. He kicked with precision (a West Coast trademark in 2018) to Nathan Vardy, who marked on his chest. In consecutive weeks Vardy shut down Gawn and Grundy and was only playing because Nic Nat was injured. Vardy kicked it long and Liam flyin' Ryan lived up to his name with a huge speccy. He quickly played on with another long kick to Sheed on the boundary. Contested marking, accurate kicking. Pure West Coast. Sheed, only playing because Gaff committed a capital crime, on the boundary, on the right side for a left footer, the Collingwood faithful losing their s**t RIGHT THERE (it's OK when any supporter base other than the one that fills Optus Stadium shows passion, another Trumpland special) and he NAILED THE SHOT. GOAL OF THE ******* FOREVER. And didn't he let the Collingwood mob know all about it afterwards

55e237b9dbfe7a32f632b54167ba207c

2018 Premiers. To the most deserving team of the year
    :up:
    No Nic Nat, no Gaff, no Sheppard. PREMIERS!!!

I love this game.

91f05346a493e63ce51d0a054c203d02
    91f05346a493e63ce51d0a054c203d02

UP THE ******* COASTERS!!!

CM9000 over to you :)

Last edited:
    #2 - 2018 Round 21 vs Port Adelaide
  • CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
    Aug 19, 2016
    Perth, WA
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Other Teams
    East Fremantle
    The Prelude:
    Well, since the 2018 GF has been taken, I'd like to nominate the most satisfying game of the 2010s as the best Eagle's game ever, that being Round 21 against Port Adelaide in 2018.

To truly express the utter brilliance of this game would require a novel. The poetic nature of it, the dire circumstances leading up to it, and what it eventually lead to (the flag) make it something I will never, ever forget. How can I do this match done justice? To begin with, it all started nearly 12 months before.

2017, as a football season, crippled me. Things were broken in my home after a number of matches, and most weeks in the year were ruined for me. To be emotionally invested in this club at the time was draining. What was worse, though, was this board. It was dominated by the usual fanfare of "Sack Nisbett" and scapegoating; people wanted Simmo gone, for some reason. Not the majority, mind you, but the loud minority drew the most attention. That St Kilda game was the stuff of nightmares, then the retirement of Priddis broke me in half.

Then Collingwood came along and rescued our finals chances.

Melbourne had to beat the Colliwobbles in the final (or second last? I don't remember) round to ensure a spot in the 8. For some reason, it seems that the Pies, at that moment, decided to repay us for all the heartbreak they've given our club over the years.

It was soul crushing stuff for Melbourne. We made the eight by 0.05%! Can you actually beat that for suspense? Funnily enough, though it probably looked like it couldn't get any worse for Melbourne at the time, the real pain was only 12 months away.

#jettawhatsthepoint crushed greatwhiteshark 's weird hatred of him by kicking us into eigth spot against the top team. We made it to the first week of finals in a match up against the Fremantle of SA, Port Adelaide, and we all know what happened next:
    giphy.gif

This event initiated me into the wonderful world of Port Adelaide salt mining. I have a very deep hatred of Port, so you can imagine how beautiful it all was. This psychologically scarred Port fans for life. I think, at that moment, they started to despise us as much as Adelaide, perhaps on an even deeper level. To put it simply, we continued our unbeaten streak against Port at their home ground, and all was well within the AFL.

This was also the birth of an iconic phrase, courtesy of the traitor and money hungry mercenary Scott Lycett.

Injured at the time, Slyce could only watch watch on as West Coast went into an extra time final for the first time in a decade, and it was only the third time in AFL history that it actually happened. To be absent from this must have been heartbreaking. Just imagine the cirumstancss for a moment - you won't play the next week, against a hostile crowd in forgien territory, and the scores are tied at full time. What a thing to miss out on. Unfortunately for the big man, the game went to the next level, as Shuey kicked a goal after the siren for the win in extra time, a record that will not be broken for the next century. I can't put into words how unlucky Scott was to miss this; but, instead of lamenting the opportunity, he gave us a battle cry that will last for the next 10 generations:

"UP THE ******* COASTERS!!!!!"

Yet again, thank you for everything, Slyce. And on a more personal note: get the * out of that hole already and come home. The money isn't worth it, trust me.

Nearly 12 months later, Andrew Gaff broke Andrew Brayshaw's jaw in the derby, days after a round of potentially fictional golf game (we may never know). Subsequently, it lead to this bullshit in The West Australian:
    uhbzZ6o.jpg

This, coupled with Naitanui's second ACL midway through the season, seemed to be making a premiership impossible. We also had to win this game to ensure a top 2 spot.

The Match:
    This was a gross game of football. It was awful conditions, Port looked to be in the verge of breaking our streak against them at AO, and we had been through hell the week before. But, my friends, our club is addicted to setting records and making history; we would not go down to these campaigners from South Australia. While Port got out to a 25 point lead early in the game, Elliot Yeo responded with a brilliant goal to help drag us out of our slump:
    giphy.gif

Midway through the second term, Eagles legend and 200 game premiership wingman Chris Masten kicked from outside 50 to score a pretty great goal, if I do say so myself:
    giphy.gif

We couldn't grab the lead for the whole game, though. Port lead the entire way, and not even a Liam Ryan (semi) hanger could get us on top. We left it until the last 50 seconds when Mark LeGod scored to get us to within a goal:
    giphy.gif

And you all know what is coming. Let me set the scene:

"Can they get it clear? Yeo, they can. Lycett, high ball….

DEAN MCGOVERN!!!!"

"McGovern has taken the mark! He's sore, he's beaten, he's battered, but he's going to have the shot!"

….

"After the siren, Huddo, after the siren."

And with the help of Anthony Hudson to set the atmosphere, the miracle happened:
    giphy.gif

I cannot put into words how completely and utterly hilarious this moment was. For the first time in AFL history, an away team had beaten the home side after the siren in consecutive years. Some clubs wait decades to see one game where their team wins after the siren; we had seen it twice in the past two.

Scotty Lycett finally got his after the siren win against Port, kicking the ball himself to Gov, we proved everyone wrong, and this galvanised us to win the 2018 flag.

The Aftermath:
    I think the best way to sum up the match is this image from Shmiddy15 straight after the win:

349a919c-b51b-4a69-a010-5c0a81ba92ce-png.541588

This game was no more, and no less, pure poetry. Although the whole match itself wasn't the greatest spectacle, and that might discount it somewhat in terms of this list, the ending had such weight and emotional resonance that I think it more than makes up for it. Was this better than Shuey's? 110%.

To come from hell and back proved that the flag was ours in 2018. No one could stand in our way, not Richmond, not Collingwood, not even the MCG deal; that was our flag, pure and simple.

Oh and it also lead to this (again):

jorel6669 you're up.

Last edited:
    #3 - 1992 Grand Final vs Geelong
  • Jun 5, 2004
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    THE EAGLES ARE GOING
    TO WIN THEIR FIRST FLAG

K3NQtI9.jpg

📺 IN 95 YEARS, THE PREMIERSHIP PENNANT HAS NEVER LEFT VICTORIA…📺

It had been 12 long months between Grand Finals. The West Coast Eagles were the competition pacesetters in 1991, winning their first 12 games. They would lose only 3 games during the regular season by a combined total of less than 3 goals. They would host the first VFL/AFL final outside of Victoria. But they would be taught a football lesson by the seasoned campaigners from Hawthorn, losing both the Qualifying Final and then the Grand Final in convincing fashion.

Despite the progressive rise of a 3rd place finish in 1990 to being runners-up in 1991, the return to the last day in September would be an arduous one during the season of 1992. A horrendous start to the season threatened to end it before it ever got going. The opening game of the season, against Sydney, ended in a 3 point loss (the Swans would be the season's wooden spooners). A win at home against the Saints would be followed by another home game, losing to Geelong. A goal after the siren would see the Brisbane Bears, who had never beaten the Eagles, draw their game at Carrara (Brisbane were the reigning wooden spooners and would finish second last this seaon). The Eagles would struggle to come from behind and beat Richmond (yet another cellar dweller of the era) by a solitary point at the MCG. A third away game in a row (this was a regular occurrence in those days) would see Fitzroy easily beat the Eagles in Tasmania. Seven rounds in (the Eagles had a round 1 bye) and their record would be 2 wins and a draw from 6 games and they had already played games against the bottom four from the previous season, recording just a win by 1 point and a draw. And if things seemed to be going from bad to worse, their next game was against the top of the table Footscray.

But the real West Coast Eagles would stand up and obliterate the Bulldogs with and 8 goal to nil opening term. They would continue their form to record 4 straight wins to climb up to third spot on the ladder by mid-season. The run was broken by a 1 point loss to Collingwood on a miserable mudheap of a day, but then a sequence of 4 wins and a loss carried out for the rest of the season. Ultimately, at the end of the home and away rounds, the Eagles were 4th but with a home Elimination Final against Hawthorn. In a bit of luck with the finals structure of the time, the winner of that final could qualify for the double chance Second Semi Final, should the 3rd place team (Collingwood) be beaten by the 6th place team (St. Kilda) in the other Elimination Final. The Saints pulled off the upset, and the Eagles were left to do the rest on a sunny Subiaco Sunday, knocking out their foes from the season past and moving on to a double chance date with the Cats.

And from there, the Eagles took their chance and destroyed Geelong in the Second Semi. It meant a week's break while the Cats had to get through a Preliminary Final against Footscray. Ultimately, it would be a huge factor.

The Grand Final was an experience in numbers for me, in many ways. I had ridden the fortunes of the team all season. For me, I just wanted them to do as well as possible. After the awful season's start, I didn't hold a lot of hope. After a run of four wins, I'd get excited again, only to come crashing down as the next game resulted in a loss. But there was a pattern and after a loss at the Western Oval in the second last round, a win at home over Carlton and two finals wins to make the Grand Final, the winning streak suddenly stood at three...

In the Qualifying Final, the Hawks kicked the first four goals. I was a budding stats guru at the time, and I told my mum that the last few games between the Eagles and Hawthorn saw the eventual loser kick the first four goals of the match. It would prove to be true again.

A lot of this game rested on whether key players were fit to play. Guy McKenna, Michael Brennan and Brett Heady all under injury clouds. A lot rested on the two Peters as well. The Matera version was labelled the danger man, having had a dominant Second Semi Final display against the Cats. While the Peter of the Sumich variety had booted 8 goals in that same clash. But perhaps, more than anything, it rested on the character of this team, who had experienced the heartbreak of 12 months prior, and the coach, who was driven to succeed in football's ultimate.

This was their coming of age. And they were ready.

f3pcAYg.gif

THE 1ST QUARTER

Your commentators are Sandy Roberts, Dennis Cometti and Ross Glendinning.

📺 DENNIS: SO THE MATCHUPS, VERY IMPORTANT. McINTOSH GOES DOWN ON BROWNLESS. AT THE OTHER END OF THE GROUND, DARCY HAS SUMICH. 📺

📺 DENNIS: WORSFOLD HAS ABLETT, IT SEEMS. 📺 📺 ROSS: AND BAIRSTOW ON MATERA! 📺

Scuffles start breaking out over the ground. Both teams bringing an aggressive mindset.

📺 SANDY: THE 92 GRAND FINAL IS UNDERWAY. 📺

The game was on and the ball would spill quickly to... duh dada duhhhh... Peter Matera.

📺 SANDY: MATERA WANTS AN EARLY TOUCH. AND HE’S GOING TO GET IT… FROM 52 METRES, MATERA’S LONG KICK IN TOWARDS GOAL IS ACROSS THE FACE, BUT IT’S THE FIRST SCORE OF THE DAY AND IT GOES TO THE WEST COAST EAGLES. KICKED BY THE DANGER MAN – PETER MATERA. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.1 1
    Geelong 0.0 0

It wouldn't be long before the aggression starting getting a bit out of hand. A long flying shot by Barry Stoneham would drift wide and as John Worsfold tracked it to the boundary, Don Pyke would get his face in the way of Gary Ablett's elbow.

📺 DENNIS: AN EAGLE IS DOWN. ABLETT COLLECTED HIM, THAT’S PYKE. 📺

After a bit more play, the umpires halted play as Pyke is stretchered off. Not a great sign for our chances, boys and girls. As play resumes, a whisle goes.

📺 DENNIS: ALMOST PREDICATABLE THE UMPIRES WOULD PAY A FREE, ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. 📺

Trevor Poole held without football, and kicks the first goal of the game. For you Millennials, go and stump your friends with that bit of trivia.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.1 1
    Geelong 1.0 6

A quick clearance from the centre bounce and Barry Stoneham swoops... ah *...

📺 SANDY: STONEHAM TOWARDS GOAL WITH THE LEFT FOOT. THERE’S ANOTHER ONE. A BIG START BY THE CATS. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.1 1
    Geelong 2.0 12

Ablett decided he needed to get aquainted with more than just Pyke, as he collected Tony Evans after the next centre bounce. But the Eagles get it forward for some chances....

📺 DENNIS: HERE’S A CHANCE, SUMICH… THE ONLY MAN ON IF IT STAYS IN, IT RUNS AWAY FROM HIM. 📺

Sumich open but kick runs out of bounds, and needless to say, Suma is somewhat displeased.

Evans decides to get in the way of Tim McGrath's elbow, while the rest of the team tries to do anything but goal.

📺 SANDY: LANGDON THROUGH, THE LEFT FOOT BY KARL LANGDON IS AWAY TO THE LEFT. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.2 2
    Geelong 2.0 12

📺 DENNIS: LANGDON… MISSES TO THE NEAR SIDE. BUT HE’S BUSY. AND AGGRESSIVE. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.3 4
    Geelong 2.0 12

📺 DENNIS: MAINWARING THE OPPORTUNITY. 45 METRES OUT… KICKS… AND HE’S MISSED. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.4 4
    Geelong 2.0 12

Heady gets a free kick for in the back.

📺 SANDY: FROM 45 METRES, HE TOO HAS MISSED, THIS TIME TO THE RIGHT. AND YET ANOTHER BEHIND. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
    Geelong 2.0 12

Geelong captain Mark Bairstow gets a free kick at 50 after a bump by Matera but fails to score as he sends it out on the full, but soon after, Peter Riccardi pulls a goal out of his rectum, snapping on his natural left from the left pocket.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
    Geelong 3.0 18

Geelong attack again, determined to really go for a knock out blow. Ablett unloads with his rocket launcher leg...

📺 DENNIS: GARY ABLETT. LEFT HALF FORWARD. MASSIVE SPIRAL… BENDING BACK… BACK THEY GO, McINTOSH – MARVELLOUS MARK! 📺

MHeVTof.gif

... while Brownless tries to make McIntosh's head part of the MCG drainage system.

The defence is working overtime as Geelong attack again, this time Riccardi in the Dom Sheed pocket – but he hits the post.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
    Geelong 3.1 19

Fights are going on in the middle. The ball again in Cats forward 50.

📺 SANDY: COUCH A CLEVER TAP TO HOCKING! HOCKING FROM 20 METRES GOES BANG AND MISSES. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 0.5 5
    Geelong 3.2 20

Geelong with a number of chances to really open up the game, it eventually is worked forward of centre...

📺 SANDY: BARNES WINS IT BUT STRAIGHT TO THE RUN OF MATERA, FROM 55, HE SETS SAIL FOR HOME WITH A MIGHTY KICK! WHAT A GOAL! 📺

cRHR8RO.gif

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
    Geelong 3.2 20

Thank *, we're finally on the board and can work our way back into this thing.

Next up, Garry "Buddah aka Whiskers" Hocking clips the post.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
    Geelong 3.3 21

Then Paul Couch storms to 50 and misses. * yeah, Geelong are blowing some chances now.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
    Geelong 3.4 22

But the Cats stay composed going forward, as Brownless finds Leigh Matthews serial killer victim Neville Bruns.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 1.5 11
    Geelong 4.4 28

We need to respond and Sumich soon marks inside 50.

📺 DENNIS: BIG DEEP BREATH FROM PETER SUMICH. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.5 17
    Geelong 4.4 28

Stoneham has a flying shot from 50, he really could have had a massive quarter.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.5 17
    Geelong 4.5 29

Ablett collects on the boundary and takes a left foot shot.

📺 DENNIS: ABLETT ON THE LEAD. WORSFOLD IN CLOSE ATTENDANCE. ABLETT HAS IT ON THE BOUNDARY LINE. NO MAGIC THIS TIME, OUT OF BOUNDS ON THE FULL. 📺

But as the quarter is closing out, Riccardi collects from a desperate scrap and handballs over to Brownless...

📺 DENNIS: PROBING KICK DOWN TOWARDS FULL FORWARD, THE EAGLES GET BACK IN STRENGTH. BUT IT FALLS THE RICCARDI. HE CAN’T PICK IT UP. RICCARDI’S IN TROUBLE NOW, GETS TO HIS FEET. OVER THE TOP TO BROWNLESS. GOAL! BILLY’S FIRST. 📺

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.5 17
    Geelong 5.5 35

Mitchell White does his Ablett impression and puts a running left foot snap out of bounds on the full before Matera has a running shot right before the siren that goes wide for one behind.

QUARTER TIME SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.6 18
    Geelong 5.5 35

It seemed like a wasteful quarter as the Eagles opened with 5 straight behinds while Geelong kicked their first 3, but things evened up as Matera and Sumich scored majors and Geelong fluffed numerous chances. The late Brownless goal was a sore spot, though. The Cats had momentum going into the second, and it would get worse before it got better...

THE 2ND QUARTER

Just a couple of minutes in, and the 1989 version of Gary Ablett was threatening to return.

📺 DENNIS: BAIRSTOW, HURRIED KICK DOWN TOWARDS HALF FORWARD. ABLETT, WORKS HIS WAY IN FRONT, OH BRILLIANT MARK. BODY TO BODY WITH WORSFOLD AND THEN FELL AWAY AT THE LAST MOMENT TO MARK IT ON HIS CHEST.

📺 ROSS: WHAT CAN YOU DO BUT APPLAUD? 📺

📺 DENNIS: HERE’S THE CHAMP, THEN. JUST OUTSIDE THE 50 – LAUNCHES ONE. HOOHAWHAW. MAGNIFICENT! 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.6 18
    Geelong 6.5 41

Ah *, here we go. Things were looking very ominous, and then Ablett marks after the next centre bounce.

📺 SANDY: THIS TIME HE IS TOO FAR OUT. BAIRSTOW SAYING GO FOR HOME. WELL HE DOES, WITH A MAGNIFICENT KICK. OH, AND THE MARK’S BEEN TAKEN BY BROWNLESS! 📺

📺 SANDY: WHAT A START TO THIS SECOND QUARTER. AND AN OMINOUS OPENING FOR THE EAGLES. 📺

Fortunately, Brownless misses the difficult shot from the boundary.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.6 18
    Geelong 6.6 42

The Eagles manage to work it forward and it would be a small cameo of Chris Waterman.... doing absolutely nothing of value.

📺 DENNIS: WATERMAN, THE LEFT FOOTER. HARD AGAINST THE BOUNDARY LINE BUT BAD SPOT FOR HIM. 📺

Waterman in the Dom Sheed pocket puts it out on the full.

Waterman puts it out on the full again.

Waterman snaps a loose ball from close in front and misses.

📺 DENNIS: THEY CAN’T BUY A GOAL, THE WEST COAST EAGLES. 📺

No s**t, Dennis.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 2.7 19
    Geelong 6.6 42

Now remember, back in this era of football, a 3-4 goal lead was very difficult to claw back. Teams didn't flood, so it was difficult to stop a team on a roll, as you relied on winning one-on-one contests. It would take some individual brilliance to spark the side and that would come, in the form of Peter Matera.

📺 SANDY: MATERA, SOMEHOW GETS OUT OF JAIL. PETER MATERA, 52 METRES, PULLS IT BACK. WHAT A MAGNIFICENT KICK FOR GOAL! 📺

📺 DENNIS: OH! 📺

📺 SANDY: HE CAN FIRE THEM UP! 📺

vUmql5U.gif

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 3.7 25
    Geelong 6.6 42

📺 DENNIS: IF IT WERE BRIDGE, PETER MATERA JUST TRUMPED GARY ABLETT. 📺

Dennis would get more creative later in the day.

The spark was somewhat short lived as Hocking gets a free kick and finds Brownless on an open lead, having fooled McIntosh that the first lead he made wasn't going to be honoured. And the husband of the future Mrs Garry Lyon would extend the lead again to close to 4 goals.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 3.7 25
    Geelong 7.6 48

At this point, Heady is moved into the midfield. Malthouse had thrown the team around for this game. Michael Brennan, the club's preferred fullback, was not at full fitness, so with McIntosh preferred for the job on Brownless, Brennan played predominately as a forward ruck. When Don Pyke went down early, Guy McKenna was shifted to try and shutdown Hocking. And with Couch damaging early, Brett Heady was moved into the midfield, as 1991 golden boy come 1992 split scrotum victim, Craig Turley, shifted forward (and did nothing).

Sumich receives a freek kick for a hold but decides to Sumich it, in a bad way.

📺 SANDY: SET SHOTS HAVE SOMETIMES LET HIM DOWN. 📺

Sumich sprays it out on the full. The Geelong crowd jeers. Yeah, yeah.

📺 ROSS: YOU SAID IT SANDY. 📺

Insightful comment from Glendinning. We then cross to feed of Steve’s Hotel in Nedlands, which is the epicentre of Eagles fandom. The shameful early 90s fashion on full display.

📺 SANDY: THEY CAN’T BELIEVE IT AT HOME. DON’T WORRY. IT’S NOT HALF TIME YET. 📺

Eagles free to Mitchell White for deliberate out of bounds. Kicks across the face, doesn’t score and Geelong clear. Even though I lived it, it just doesn't make sense that Mitchell White was in this premiership team and not the 1994 team. He had a much greater impact a few years after, but this was his only flag.

Lewis gets a free and sends it into the forward 50. Geelong fullback Tim Darcy falls awkwardly in a contest, allowing Sumich to comeout on a lead...

📺 DENNIS: NOW SUMICH, MEANTIME, SEIZES ON THE MOMENT, GOES ON A LEAD… IT COMES BACK TO THE HOBBLING DARCY. HIGH DRAMA IN DEFENCE. DARCY GIVES IT AWAY! HARDING 20 METRES OUT… HAS MISSED! 📺

📺 DENNIS: QUITE REMARKABLE SCENES AT THE MELBOURNE CRICKET GROUND. 📺

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 3.8 26
    Geelong 7.6 48

We desperately need a goal, and it come from an unlikely source. The kick out goes long to the centre, Harding fists it back forward.

📺 SANDY: LANGDON A CHANCE TO GIVE IT AWAY. HE DOES. EVANS CAN MAKE AMENDS AND THIS TIME… HE MAKES NO MISTAKE! 📺

xyGOw0q.gif

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 4.8 32
    Geelong 7.6 48

It's not long and the little campaigner does it again.

📺 DENNIS: TAKEN NOW BY EVANS, WHO CHANGED HIS MIND IN MID AIR. CHANGES HIS MIND AGAIN. FROM 45 METRES OUT IT’S ANOTHER GOAL! 📺

CphseQj.gif

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
    Geelong 7.6 48

A few minutes of back and forth attacks before Ablett launches again from 50 and just misses. This game is white hot.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
    Geelong 7.7 49

A bit more back and forth and then Geelong legend Russell Merriman misses close in under pressure.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
    Geelong 7.8 50

A few minutes before halftime, Couch marks in the pocket but Worsfold gives away 50 and a certain goal.

SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 5.8 38
    Geelong 8.8 56

After all our efforts, the margin is greater than it was at quarter time. It seems like Geelong may have our measure. We need something special.

Just over a minute to go and Matera gets an Eagles free kick overturned at Geelong’s half forward line. The Eagles manage to defend through McIntosh and Evans. Inside a minute, it’s at Geelong’s half forward. Eagles push forward, Geelong repel but it comes back through a Langdon kick.

📺 DENNIS: PICKED UP BY SUMICH. SUMICH’S SNAP IS A GOOD LOOKING ONE. IT’S BENDING AROUND THE POST. I THINK IT MIGHT BE A GOAL! IT IS! REMARKABLE! 📺

vnXxtrk.gif

Margin back to 12 points with seconds to go. Players go off at half time, there are spot fires over the ground as the players throw their weight around.

📺 SANDY: IT’S HOT IN THE KITCHEN AND THEY ALL KNOW IT. SO IT SHOULD BE. 📺

HALF TIME SCORE:
    West Coast Eagles 6.8 44
    Geelong 8.8 56

Phew. We're just in this. The game is on a knife's edge and the Cats have threatened to blow this one out, but some great efforts by not only the goalscorers but the entire team have seen the Eagles keep in touch. A year ago, the margin was 10 points and despite kicking with the breeze, the Eagles could not lessen it during the third. But that simply had to. What was coming up is widely known as the premiership quarter.

It would be one for the ages.​

Last edited:
    #4 - 2011 Second Semi Final vs Carlton
  • Mar 21, 2017
    Perf
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Other Teams
    Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
    The scene? Pattersons Stadium, as it was then known.
    The time? Saturday September 17, 5.50pm.
    The occasion? Second Semi-Final
    The teams? West Coast Eagles v. Chris Judd FC Carlton

23e100989284c9b5ac9e0cb6380b8d45.jpg

LINE-UPS:

WEST COAST EAGLES:
    B: S. Hurn D. Glass (c) B. Waters
    HB: S. Butler E. Mackenzie A. Embley
    C: L. Shuey M. Priddis A. Gaff
    HF: M. LeCras J. Kennedy M. Nicoksi
    F: J. Darling Q. Lynch D. Kerr
    FOL: N. Naitanui A. Selwood S. Selwood
    I/C: C. Masten W. Schofield D. Cox P. McGinnity (sub, GOAT)

CARLTON:

B: M. Davies M. Jamison J. Laidler
    HB: C. Yarran B. Thornton N.Duigan
    C: K. Simpson M. Robinson D. Armfield
    HF: J. Garlett L. Henderson A. Carrazzo
    F: E. Betts S. O'Hailpin A. Walker
    FOL: R. Warnock C. Judd (c) M. Murphy
    I/C H. Scotland A. Joseph D. Ellard Z. Touhy (sub)

2011 was a strange old season for West Coast. The year before we had achieved the honours of winning our inaugural wooden spoon. We can blame that on ICEHOUSE lead singer Ben Cousins and his ring mates for tearing the club apart from the inside though. Following our spoon, we found ourselves up against Carlton, an equally surprising finals candidate due to the fact that they've been s**t forever. Carlton were being led by a familar face to us West Coast faithful; former West Coast premiership captain and Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, who at this point in his career was carrying an extra 5kg in playing weight just from the amount of tape on his shoulders.

This was a see-sawing affair which never saw the margin exceed 23 points either way, with Carlton kicking the first 4 goals of the game to assume a 23 point lead early in the 1st quarter. At this point it felt like Carlton were in cruise control and an upset victory looked on the cards. Josh Kennedy looked like he would be out of the game in the first quarter with illness, we were 4 goals down and getting absolutely belted out of the middle, it wasn't looking great for the lads.

Matt Priddis would win a free kick from a i50 stoppage and kick our only goal for the opening term as we went into quarter time down, but far from out at 1.3.9 v 4.1.25.

405954-tlslargeportrait.jpg

At this point, 12 year old me was being bullied by all my other mates at the party I was at because we were losing. No good for 12 year old Tyler.

The Coasters came out fired up and booted the first three goals of the second quarter in a flash, with Nicoski (2) and Lynch (1) putting 3 goals on the board in 2 minutes to level things at 27 a piece. From here on in, the game would be an arm wrestle. West Coast wouldn't relinquish the lead for the remainder of the game, but Carlton were able to level the scores twice. The West Coast forward line was on fire, with Kennedy, Darling and Nicoski all kicking 3. A rare goal from would-be skipper Shannon Hurn also helped get the lads over the line. One of the highlights of the first half was undoubtedly cult hero Dean Cox launching a vital goal from the arc, sending Pattersons into raptures.
    Dean+Cox+AFL+First+Semi+Final+West+Coast+v+tNueMsuv5xDl.jpg

The game boiled down to one of the most epic last quarters seen in modern footy. West Coast entered the final term with a slender 9 point lead, but the two teams would trade goals for the first half of the quarter. Then, Carlton seemingly hit the wall and West Coast put the foot down, bursting out to a 21 point lead and seemingly putting the Blues to bed. The Blues however contuined to chip away and got themselves back to within a goal, but the siren was surely going to sound soon, right?

Wrong.

The quarter went on.

And on.

And on.

It was one of the longest last quarters on record, and thanks to Channel 10's 5 minute warning, no one knew when the siren would go. It was a guessing game and every second that ticked by felt like an hour. The last quarter culminated in a controversial non-call in the Carlton goal square, where I can definitely confirm that Andrew Walker DEFINITELY WASN'T BEING HELD.

Capture.PNG

This incident occurred during the 35th minute of the last quarter, 15 minutes into time on. The game would continue on well into the 36th minute before the siren finally went, with West Coast running out victors by 3 points in one of the most intense finals of the modern era.

Beau+Waters+Chris+Yarran+AFL+First+Semi+Final+4AmgY03w3_Jl.jpg

FINAL SCORE: West Coast Eagles 15.11.101 defeated Carlton 15.8.98

Pedals23 you're up

Last edited:
    #5 - 2017 First Elimination Final vs Port Adelaide
  • Pedals23

Team Captain
    Jun 12, 2018
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Prelude:
    West Coast were coming off an incredible last second road win against the Giants, when they came up against 3-time reigning premier Hawthorn.

The Eagles were up by a million, all of our best players were playing well, everything was fine. Then it happened. Nic Naitanui, our marquee star, the face of the club, our most important player, was gone for at least 12 months with an ACL injury. The Eagles would rally with a big win against Adelaide, with Jonathon Giles dominating in the absence of Naitanui, before West Coast unceremoniously bowed out in an elimination final against the eventual premiers, the Western Bulldogs. the only thing crashing harder than the Eagles, was FKASC's firefox.

The Eagles would add Sam Mitchell, Nathan Vardy and Drew Petrie to their list in the off-season. This lead many to believe West Coast were topping up for another flag tilt. 13/17 journalists on afl.com put West Coast in the top 4, even knowing Naitanui wouldn't be playing for most of, if not the entire season. This did not eventuate.

West Coast were fielding the oldest team in the competition week in week out, but couldn't close out games. The Eagles choked a number of games away from big leads throughout the year, resulting in plentiful melts. Sack Simpson. Parto in. The Collingwood loss in round 18 was the worst of the lot, and the club, after folding, went into full damage control.

Ultimately, the Eagles finals hopes seemingly ended for good after a loss to the Giants in round 22. But, the very next week Melbourne choked against Collingwood. Finals were still possible, but it would require a four goal+ win over the minor premiers. Adelaide threw us a bone by resting Walker and Talia, it was a dead rubber for them after all, but the job still had to be done.

The game saw West Coast constantly flip between 8th and 9th, and even as high as 7th. Charlie Cameron kicked a goal late to send us back outside the eight. The Eagles needed a hero, and fortunately, we had two proven big stage performers in Lewis #jettawhatsthepoint and Jack Darling and a second round draft pick, to stand up for us and secure a September berth.
    1571920289244.png

1571920371171.png

Never celebrate too early kids.

The win secured an elimination final against the biggest flat track bullies in the competition, Port Adelaide. This game is notable for being the last that Luke Partington would ever play in. This is the only reason why I chose this game. The teams that were named are listed below:
    1571910471423.png

The Eagles would kick four first quarter goals to one, with Darling kicking two and Kennedy and Petrie both getting one each. Port had named a very young and inexperienced backline and were being punished. You could even say that they went too far the other way.

We would get three of the next four via Shuey, Darling again and Cripps early in the second quarter. The Eagles held a 31 point lead. What could possibly go wrong? But getting out to these leads wasn't the problem in 2017. The problem was holding them, and the Eagles wouldn't kick another goal until about midway through the fourth quarter, when that 31 point lead had become a 10 point deficit.

It was everybody's favourite player, 2014 Brownlow Medalist Matthew Priddis who ended the drought.
    1571911772180.png

Drew Petrie would kick his second minutes later to recapture the lead. Boak missed two shots for goal in the dying minutes and scores were level.

One of the worst umpiring decisions of all time resulted in a Port free kick with about a minute left.
    1571918171040.png

Deliberate my Brayden Ainsworth.

Port continued to push forward, trying to force through a score. It was Darcy Byrne-Jones who managed to get clean possession and send the ball long inside 50. Eric Mackenzie dropped a mark and had Dixon hot behind him in pursuit. Mackenzie had nowhere to go. He concedes a behind, and Port win. He runs out of bounds, it is deliberate and Port get a shot with seconds with any score enough to secure the game. He turns around to try and clear it, he gets caught holding the ball. There is no way he can possibly keep the Eagles alive. But he does. In a split-second, he finds the only way out, sending himself and the football into the behind post, disguising it so it appeared as if he wasn't trying to take it over. Good thing Basil doesn't even ******* acknowledge this play at all.
    FlawedRapidGaur-size_restricted.gif

The clock slowly ticks down and for the first time in seven years, a final will be decided in extra time.

1571925938892.png

Imagine losing by 56 points in 10 minutes of extra time in a grand final.

After a less then ideal start where the Eagles are 13 points down, courtesy of two Port goals, Kennedy sneaks one back prior to the end of the first period of extra time.

Port hold a seven point lead. Wingard misses a shot. Vardy finds Kennedy all alone. Two points. Dixon and Boak both miss shots. Four points, but time is running out.

27 seconds. Forward stoppage. Another memorable quote by Basil.

As a certain former Eagle would say, "You ***** know what happened next."
    1571926537641.png

giphy.gif

Football sure is a game of six quarters.

HoneyBadger35 you're up.

#6 - 2006 Grand Final vs Sydney
  • One of the great modern rivalries, the West Coast Eagles and Sydney Swans met six times between September of 2005 and March of 2007. The margins in those meetings? 4, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1. The contrasting game style of West Coast’s run and gun midfield power and Sydney’s constricting team defence made for many classic encounters, several enthralling finals and a number of historic moments along the way. A matchup which could make or break your season, games that were never over when they seemed to be and two teams that scared the s**t out of the state of Victoria, Eagles/Swans was always must see. Which brings us to…

1572112231841.png

THE 2006 AFL GRAND FINAL – WEST COAST EAGLES VS SYDNEY SWANS

2006 record: West Coast 17-5 (first), Sydney 14-8 (fourth)

2006 All Australians: West Coast - four, Sydney - four

Brownlow medallists in named side: West Coast – two, Sydney - two

Number of fingers in named side:
    West Coast - 219, Sydney – 220

Having met in the 2005 Grand Final, which saw [REDCATED] win the [REDACTED] thanks to the last gasp heroics of [REDACTED], the Eagles and Swans descended on the MCG to once again do battle for the greatest prize of all. The two clubs had played as recently as the Qualifying Final three weeks earlier, with Michael O’Loughlin securing his place in the rivalry’s history with a game winning goal and iconic celebration. 12.13.85 defeated 12.12.84 that day. It surely couldn’t happen again?

The Eagles and Swans did, once again, what only they could do. The moment one team got the ascendancy, their opponent countered. If someone built a lead, the margin was ripped back. An instant classic that has been watched and rewatched time and time again by Eagles fans, the 2006 Grand Final will forever remain one of the defining moments in the club’s history. A team of superstars, a game of highlights, a number of iconic Anthony Hudson calls seared into the brain. However, this isn’t the story of those moments. This is the story of the five forgotten moments that shaped the 2006 Grand Final.

#1 – Seaby’s creativity

The situation:
    Q1, 15:45 remaining. West Coast 0.0.0 trail Sydney 0.1.1

A fast-paced start saw Sydney narrowly ahead on the scoreboard, having been the more dangerous side in the opening stages. The Swans defence had easily rebounded out of back 50 twice already, helping their side to the far better chances of the encounter.

The moment: Hemmed in to the defensive side of wing, the Eagles concede territory back to David Wirrapanda. Wirra chips short to Darren Glass, whose mark is deemed not 15. A handball down the boundary sells Beau Waters into some trouble, so the Eagles’ hard man boots is long down the line, kicking for distance.

Mark Seaby is best placed of all Eagles, but faces a two on one in mid-air. He spies Daniel Chick in a dangerous position. If Seaby can halve this contest, the Eagles are well placed. The West Coast (and future Sydney) ruckman swings a fist at the ball, deliberately knocking it into the path of Chick. The star utility hits the pack at pace, snaps on his right boot and finds Ashley Hansen who takes his third chest mark of the opening five minutes. Hansen goals, and the Eagles land the first significant blow, setting the tone for an enthralling contest.

#2 – Wirra’s repeat efforts

The situation:
    Q3, 14:14 remaining. West Coast 9.8.62 lead Sydney 6.6.42

Leading 53-24 late in the second, the Eagles were threatening to blow what was billed as an arm-wrestle into a demolition job. We should have known better. Sydney kicked a goal late in the second. Sydney kicked a goal early in the third. Andrew Embley responded, so Sydney kicked a goal again. The Grand Final was well and truly on and, despite trailing on the scoreboard, Sydney were definitely working their way to the top after half time. Worst of all, 2006 Brownlow Medallist, Adam Goodes, was beginning to put his stamp on the match after a quiet first half.

The moment: A hacked kick forward by Chad Fletcher was calmly rebounded by Nic Fosdike, who fired the ball up field where it was worked to a surging Adam Goodes. Goodes sent the ball dangerously inside attacking 50, where David Wirrapanda was engaged in a true one-on-one with Nick Davis. Giving away 11cm to an opponent who’d kicked a goal just one-minute prior, Wirra did enough to bring the ball to ground, before following up with an important tackle and, later, a bump on the grounded Davis. Sydney came up with the football and sent it high towards the goal square, where Ryan O’Keefe found himself in far too much space in the front and square position. Wirra closed O’Keefe down, getting a crucial smother on an otherwise clean look at goal. The defensive cavalry arrived, and the Eagles could reset.

While there was plenty of time left, every goalscoring opportunity is vital in a one-point game. Wirra’s repeat efforts in this play embodied the attitude of the entire backline throughout the Grand Final, and stand out amongst some more prominent and frequently lauded defensive highlights.

#3 – Armstrong takes his chance

The situation:
    Q4, 7:33 remaining. West Coast 10.13.73 lead Sydney 10.12.72

Having once held a four-goal lead in the third quarter, the Eagles were suddenly met with the suffocating pressure of the Sydney Swans. Over 37 minutes of game time had elapsed since the Eagles last kicked a goal, while Sydney had closed the margin in stunning fashion. A 29-3 run in favour of the Swans had been punctuated by Adam Schneider’s roaring goal, and the margin was one solitary point. The Eagles were in dire need of a response.

The moment: Following Schneider’s goal, the Sydney forward found himself involved again, firing his side up field from the centre bounce. Daniel Kerr’s composure on the back flank, and his ensuing three bounce run through the corridor of the MCG, set up a much needed but largely aimless inside 50 for West Coast. Choosing to stay off the pack whilst Adam Hunter attacked a tumbling Sherrin in a two-on-one, Steven Armstrong gathered in space and, with the weight of nearly 40 minutes of goalless football on his back, kicked truly to break the Eagles’ drought.

Armstrong finished the day with just eight disposals but, when his moment came, the 22-year-old did not blink. While not as famous as the final West Coast goal of the game, this effort was pivotal in preventing the Swans from claiming a lead that all momentum indicated was inevitable. That #35 jumper and clutch goals in finals, hey?

#4 – The other Chick moment

The situation:
    Q4, 3:25 remaining. West Coast 12.13.85 lead Sydney 12.12.84

With just minutes left to play in the Grand Final, Sydney have possession and are looking for any score. They decide on a weight of numbers approach, and begin a raid of long kicks forward.

The moment: Sydney receive a free kick in the backline and want to go long at all costs. Brett Kirk marks strongly on the wing, before playing on miles over his mark (typical COLA cheating) and handballing to Ted Richards in space. Richards is met by a corralling Daniel Chick, tired from his iconic heroics mere moments before, and sidesteps him with ease. Streaming down the wing, Richards takes a bounce and is set to launch a long ball inside 50. Unbeknownst to him, Daniel Chick is a rabid wolverine who will not be denied the tackle he so desperately craves, with the former Hawk chasing down the Swan in a Grand Final sprint that puts Cyril Rioli vs Lewis Jetta to shame.

Chick arrives at the exact right moment, tackling Richards just as he sets himself to kick inside 50, and forces the ball out on the full. What a let off with just minutes to play.

#5 – RoJo saves the day

The situation:
    Q4, 0:39 remaining. West Coast 12.13.85 lead Sydney 12.12.84

There’s 0:39 seconds left in the Grand Final. It couldn’t be simpler. If Sydney score, the 2006 Grand Final has a 0% chance of finishing the way we all know and love.

The moment: Schneider, Armstrong, O’Keefe, Hunter. The Eagles and Swans have traded goals throughout the last quarter, having given everything else they had across the past two hours. The Eagles lead by a point, but a ball up on centre wing means this is still anyone’s game. Ben Cousins hits the pack hard, before running himself into trouble and eventually working the ball through Chad Fletcher to Daniel Kerr. Kerr, the best Eagle in the fourth quarter, chooses this very moment, the final minute of a one-point Grand Final, to kick the ball into open space in the dead centre of the ground. Coach killer.

The Premiership Cup is effectively sitting in the middle of the ground. If Sydney gather cleanly, there’s nothing but a miracle standing in between the Swans and back-to-back flags. At best, the Eagles might hope for a replay the following week.

Enter, Rowan Jones. Much maligned throughout his tenure with the Eagles, RoJo was never as flashy, athletic or skilled as his star-studded midfield counterparts. The 2006 Grand Final wasn’t really going his way either, with some poor disposals setting his teammates into trouble more than a few times. However, when it was his turn to go, he went. Jones bursts away from Ryan O’Keefe, and meets Leo Barry in the centre of the MCG. The body work and intent from Jones isn’t flashy, but it turns a two-on-three situation from potentially devastating into the game saving passage of play. Jones finds Quinten Lynch, the Eagles push the ball wide and, while Sydney go forward off an ensuing turnover, they’re kicking inside 50 from the boundary and not through the corridor. Their effort forward sprays wide, finding the boundary line.

I think you campaigners know what happened.

This passage of play does get some recognition from time to time, but is too often overlooked when compared to the goals, the marks in defence or the work of our superstars in the Grand Final. It’s every bit as vital as “Chick, Hunter,” just without a soundbite. Let it never be forgotten.

There you go, some moments I think deserve to enjoy the spotlight when we reminisce about an absolute classic match. Rewatching it was a pleasure (god that midfield was unbelievable), and it was interesting viewing trying to find some under the radar passages.

Keys, you're up.

Last edited:
    #7 - 1994 Grand Final vs Geelong
  • It took me a bit of time to convince myself to put this game here as one of our greatest ever games. Truth be told, the game viewed in isolation probably struggles to make the top 50 of all time. As a contest it certainly doesn't belong in the top 10. However, in context, it's comfortably one of the most significant results in our history and arguably should have already been written about by now.

1994 AFL Grand Final : The Forgotten Premiership

Before we get to the game though a quick history lesson for those either not born or too young to remember.

After breaking Victorian hearts in 1992 we were unable to repeat the dose in what was an incredibly even 1993 bowing out to eventual premiers, Essendon, in the semi-final. Despite that the fear was real and after the 1993 season a decision was made to introduce a second WA team into the AFL for the 1995 season. West Coast had established themselves as a powerhouse and 1993 was seen as a wasted opportunity.

The road to atonement in 1994 got off to a shaky start with a narrow 3 point loss to reigning premier Essendon at the MCG and just as a string of 3 wins on the trot looked to have us back on track we were demolished by Hawthorn to the tune of 71 points at Subiaco. It would put us a game behind early competition pacesetters, Melbourne, with a clutch of other teams with a share of 2nd.

From there we would win 11 of our next 13 with our only losses being a 4 point loss to the Crows in Adelaide and the Andrew Tranquilli game against Collingwood at the MCG. We took top spot in round 8 and held that position until late in the season when another loss to Hawthorn in Round 20 and a 64 point thumping from Carlton at Princes Park in Round 22 eventually saw us relinquish top spot temporarily with 1 round to go. A final round belting of Footscray coupled with a surprise loss for Carlton at the hands of Essendon saw us regain top spot and win the minor premiership with 16 wins a game clear of Carlton with 15. There would be a sizeable gap to North, Geelong, Footscray and Hawthorn on 13 wins.

For the first time in AFL history there would be a top 8 with Melbourne and Collingwood taking those spots on 12 wins. Richmond would also finish with 12 wins but were relegated to 9th on percentage and thus creating Ninthmond. Reigning premiers Essendon despite their last round heroics to gift us top spot would finish 10th with 11 wins

Unlike the finals system we have now, the first week of the finals was a tad more convoluted than we have now with 1st v 8th, 2nd v 7th, 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th. In addition, for the first time finals could be played outside Victoria beyond the first week up to and including the prelim finals (but not the GF as I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear). This gave us a simple equation - beat 8th placed Collingwood in week 1 then have a rest before a home prelim to earn a Grand Final spot. Easy right.

Due to a redevelopment of Subiaco ahead of Fremantle's introduction, our finals were played at the WACA. On a windy Sunday afternoon, we looked in control of a scrappy game until a fast finishing Collingwood nearly stole the game in the dying stages with a 6 goal final quarter but fell 2 points short (11.16:82 to 12.8:80) as Mick McGuane famously dropped a chest mark inside F50 close to the final siren. In other games 7th placed Melbourne stunned Carlton (2nd) consigning the Blues to a cut throat semi final whilst North Melbourne (3rd) earned the other preliminary final spot after defeating Hawthorn in the first ever extra time final. Geelong would beat Footscray in their final before going on to put Carlton out in straight sets the following week and then sneak past North when Gary Ablett kicked a goal in the dying seconds to win by 6 points in the prelim.

Meanwhile we were preparing for a home preliminary final against a surging Melbourne fresh off resounding wins over Carlton and Footscray to keep their fairytale of breaking (a then) 30 year premiership drought alive. Sound familiar. In a result that would be repeated a quarter of a century later, Melbourne's hopes were crushed by 65 points - 16.21:117 to 8.4:52.

In the lead up to the GF, Peter Matera would poll 28 Brownlow votes which in any other year of his career would have been enough to win but unfortunately by him Greg Williams of Carlton would win with a then record 30 votes. To be fair, Williams was widely regarded as a deserved winner and Matera's high tally was seen as a bit of a surprise.

Enough with the background, onto the main event - West Coast who had been the dominant side of 1994 along with Carlton against sentimental favourites, Geelong in their 3rd GF in 6 years attempting to break a then 31 year drought. Unlike West Coast who were assured of a finals berth well before seasons end, Geelong were outside the 8 with 6 rounds to go and had win 5 of their last 6 to qualify. With 3 pulsating finals wins they took strong momentum into the decider but the consensus was they'd need to start well given the Eagles would be fresher having had a weeks rest before their prelim.

The game would be one of contrasting styles - Geelong were the most attacking team in the competition scoring almost 110 points per game well ahead of West Coast with just under 95 points per game which was 7th in the league and better than only Collingwood amongst top 8 sides. Defensively however, West Coast conceded a league lowest 71 points per game which was almost 10 points lower than the next best (Carlton) and well below Geelong who leaked over 95 points per game ranking them 8th and the worst of the finals sides. Could Geelong break the shackles and if they did would the Eagles have enough firepower to go with them in a shootout.

Quarter 1 :

Grand Final specialist, Tony Evans, drew first blood with a snap from a boundary throw in. Soon after key playmaker, Garry Hocking, would get a nasty cork to the thigh in a collision with John Worsfold and had to leave the ground. Whilst he would return intermittently throughout the game he had little impact. Goals to Chris Lewis from a set shot and Shane Bond on the run had the Eagles opening up an ominous 20-2 lead halfway through the first quarter. Paul Couch would pounce on a loose clearing kick to snap Geelong's first against the run of play which seemed to settle the Cats. With Michael Mansfield doing an outstanding job in defense for Geelong and Peter Riccardi quelling Matera's influence the momentum was shifting ever so slightly.

John Barnes then started taking marks around the ground and Geelong were surging with goals to Riccardi and Andrew Wills. When Gary Ablett outpointed Brennan in a marking contest and kicked a goal after playing on, the Eagles were suddenly down 20-26. Both sides missed a couple of opportunities before star wingman, Chris Mainwairing hobbled off with a back complaint in the shadows of quarter time. Another Chris, of the Waterman variety, would replace him and had an immediate impact but it was Kemp who had been BOG that would find Brett Heady inside 50 with a neat pass. The shot for goal sailed through as the quarter time siren rang out.

West Coast 4.3:27 v Geelong 4.4:28

Quarter 2 :

Leigh Tudor missed a running shot at goal to open the scoring in the second quarter and from the ensuing kick in we moved the ball the length of the ground for Peter Wilson to kick our 5th after taking a mark inside 50. We were back in front and would not relinquish the lead again. Jason Ball, who was busy up forward, hit the post with a snap and then missed another after Geelong failed to clear the ball from the kick in. They weren't so lucky the next time as again West Coast pushed the ball back inside 50 for Wilson to kick his second in a row.

Soon after, in one of the games rare genuine highlights Billy Brownless would sit on McIntosh's head to mark and goal to bring the margin back to 5 points (41-36). A couple more behinds to us as we failed to convert field position led to a doomed short kick in by Ken Hinkley which was intercepted by Evans and put back over his head to push us out to a 12 point lead. Geelong were on the ropes but we were unable to land a knockout punch. A string of 5 consecutive behinds was finally broken when Evans got his hands to another errant kick in and Sumich pounced on the loose ball to kick his first and stretch the lead to a game high 23 points

West Coast 8.12:60 v Geelong 5.7:37

Quarter 3 :

Both teams traded behinds to begin the third as we continued to waste opportunities. It would be Geelong to strike first when Brownless marked next to the behind post and converted after running around to open the angle. After being 6.5 we'd drifted to 8.14 and for all our dominance had only a 17 point lead to show for it. Ball would snap a clever goal from 25 only for Brownless to answer shortly after. Another 5 minutes would pass without another goal to either side although we were still collecting behinds at a frightful rate as Geelong held on grimly closing in on 3/4 time. By this stage Mainwairing had returned to the field and light rain was falling

Like a python crushing it's prey we were slowly suffocating the Cats and with the scoreline at 9.17 to 7.9 after a 2.10 to 2.2 run either side of half time something had to give. Enter Dean Kemp. Pouncing on a lose ball at half forward, Kemp ran through the 50m arc and kicked the goal that burst the dam wall.
    Heady kicked another moments after and when Sumich had a rare 1 on 1 win against Stephen O'Reilly to mark and goal just before 3/4 time Geelong were all but spent.

West Coast 12.18:90 v Geelong 7.12:54

Quarter 4 :

Any faint hopes Geelong had were put to rest by a pair of goals to Waterman who moved forward after Mainwairing returned. Party time had arrived and goals to Ball, Evans, Kemp and Bond saw the lead balloon out 72 points halfway through the last. After struggling to land the knockout blow for so long, the end came quickly, in a 15-20 minute patch either side of the last break we put on 9.2 to 0.4. The game was done.

Some more behinds to both sides along with goals to Banfield and Lewis as well as a consolation 4th goal to Brownless (who was Geelong's only goal scorer after quarter time) saw the lead to blow out to a near record 80 points

We'd one our 2nd premiership in the last 3 years after entering the competition only 8 years earlier.

West Coast 20.23:143 defeated Geelong 8.15:63

Last edited:
    #8 - 2006 Round 10 vs Geelong
  • Let me set the scene...

Split Enz's Neil Finn told himself 'History Never Repeats' - but does it? The Cats are quite a good chance to knock off the Eagles at home. History is on their side; last season with the backs to the proverbial wall, Geelong spanked the Eagles to the tune of 75 points.

Dare I say it? .... No Judd No Eagles.

Theres too many passengers for us. Look at the body language and the attack on the ball by half the players and its lacking desperation.

game over

75+ easy

looking like it could even be 100+ :eek:

Oh you think we can make up a 7 goal deficit at a foreign ground in a half with a 2/3 goal breeze against us in the next quarter? Im sorry - youre after the Not a snow flakes chance in hell board

I told you geelong would beat them, and weagles would be in pain in melbourne

Looking at the scoreline, it's really quite obvious Judd carries the whole team. What's even more sad is the eagles rely on a Melbourne kid to carry the whole state of WA. Without Judd, the eagles would no doubt be struggling to make the 8.

Final siren:

hqdefault.jpg

1005021_thumb_326x184.jpg

You campaigners know what happened next (week, when we also came back from a long way down against Carlton at home).

Round 10, 2006 - Geelong vs West Coast

Do I even need to add anything?

- No Chris Judd
    - Lost to them by 75 points last year
    - Down by 54 halfway into the third quarter
    - HUNTERRRRRRR kicking the winning goal
    - Matt Priddis' debut game

In my opinion the finest non-finals win by us, and unfortunately the last time we also won at Kardinia Park. The win that gave us the belief for a flag, the win that (almost) stopped the Geelong dynasty before it even begun, and the win where our future Brownlow medallist made his debut.

Last edited:
    #9 - 2018 2nd Preliminary Final vs Melbourne
  • Feb 26, 2012
    Perth
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    M1.JPG

M13.jpg

M14.jpg

M15.jpg

M16.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So in the 2018 Second Preliminary Final somehow the wooden spooners beat the Premiers? How does that work? Oh well, at least we all now get to witness this glorious clip show from the most hilarious game of 2018.

Let me set the scene.

Melbourne are the roaring favourites. Each time they score a goal the screens will cut the the Demons fans in Melbourne, imagine if they got held goalless to half time. Imagine.

Jordan Lewis was kind enough to score us our first goal

Comical

I wish I could get paid to be bad at football and embarrass an entire state

:moustache:

M11.jpg

Clayton questioning the umpire on why this game is being played in Perth and not Melbourne

M5.jpg

Gee

It's always a good time when you're so good that you start accidentally scoring goals

We also love it when the opposition are so shell-shocked that they forget the rules

M8.jpg

Goodwin: "Yeah look boys, we're cooked here and Clayton is an ugly campaigner. So there's no winners from our camp"

Our boy, Flyin' can play footy

Biggest game of your life. Preliminary final. Whole country watching. You get caught holding the ball twice in a row in the same chase and the second one is by a fatboy who's pregame ritual is 4 Whoppers and a Mrs Macs meat pie.

M10.jpg

Luke Shuey with an iced up ankle post game, damn I hope he plays in the Grand Final and if he does, hopefully he isn't too hampered.

M12.jpg

Still the greatest image on BigFooty. Hahahahahahaha

You campaigners know what happened next.

#10 - 2007 Round 1 vs Sydney
  • Sep 8, 2011
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Let me set the scene. The year is 2007. The round is 1. West Coast are the reigning premiers and are travelling to Sydney to take on the Swans at Stadium Australia, thus beginning the tradition of the Eagles travelling as far away from home as possible after winning a flag.

West Coast and Sydney were well entrenched into one of the greatest rivalries in Australian Sport. It was a typical good guys v bad guys situation. Sydney were AFL houses darlings with an amazing "bloods culture" and we were the brash superstar party boys.

Prior to this game the last 5 contests included two Qualifying Finals, two Grand Finals and a regular season fixture with a combined margin of 12 points.

The teams also had a Brownlow medalists from each of the last four years.

Now to the game.

The game almost mirrored the 2006 Grand Final exactly. West Coast getting out to a winning position at half time, the Swans pegging it back and Goodes kicking the first of the last quarter.

Q1.
    WCE 6.0
    Syd 3.4

Q2.
    WCE 10.2
    Syd 3.8

Q.3
    WCE 10.6
    Syd 6.11

Q.4
    WCE 11.8
    Syd 10.13

Without two of the Coasters quartet of the Greatest Centre Square in the History of mankind it was up to Juddy and Kerry to carry the load for the team.

CJ: This game was IMO the start of the peakest Judd anyone ever saw. Not only was Judd considered the best player in the game, he was considered one of the GOAT'S if not the GOAT already and having only played 5 years. Unfortunately this Judd was only around for half a season until his groin busted up. 27 disposals, 18 of them kicks, 16 contested possessions, 8 clearances, 5 i50's and a lazy 2 goals. It was almost rinse and repeat. This guy turned contested footy into uncontested footy. If you were unlucky to not have seen Judd in the first half of 2007, I couldn't recommend more to watch them. He was incredible. I still haven't seen a player get close to that level in my time.

DK: This is pretty peak Kerr too. Bash and crash. Bottom of the pack. In your face. Twisting and turning. Running bounces. Shooting off creative handballs. Whilst his stat line is bloody impressive the way he used the ball was genius. 28 touches, 21 contested, 17 handballs, 7 tackles and 5 clearances. However no one remembers that. They all remember Mitch Browns debut......... and this match saving tackle. In red time and the 5 minute warning.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 10.42.57 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.58.08 pm.png

From the season opener we looked strong and dominant. Missing two of our greatest players ever and our premiership CHF we looked pretty ******* good. Wirrpanda and Waters were raking it up in the backline. Glass was sturdy. Lynch was marking, U-turning and bombing long. We debuted Mitch Brown and it looked like we added a dominant CHF to our dominant midfield. Life was good. We looked invincible and the players certainly knew it and partied like it. There wasn't a thing in sight that could derail our season....

This game was probably the second last chapter of that incredible rivalry. The last being the Cousins return game, a blow out of 12 points to WCE. Overall we split the flags and finals. We split the Brownlow medals. We did however finish on top in the ledger 5-2.

#11- 1992 Round 19 vs Geelong
  • Sep 21, 2004
    Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Other Teams
    Norwood & Liverpool.
    Just saw the date haha

Ah well.

Couple I remembered today:

Rd19 1992

West Coast def Geelong at Kardinia Park by 19 points.

I remember listening to this game on my little radio in the backyard. (Was very hard to get WCE games on radio into Adelaide back then)

I was so excited when we burst out of the blocks in the 1st qtr.

We led:

WCE 7.2
    Geel 2.2

The cats came back a bit in the last but a Karl Langdon spinning goal from the boundary sealed it.

Great times.

And rd7 1993

Once again defeated Geelong at KP.

Just a great win.

Flick it to the 44 min mark for Matera magic!!

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
    Also have very fond memories of the 91 Prelim.

Watched in my bedroom nervous as anything.

Sumich was brilliant.

Just a great slogging win that Im sure took it out of us and contributed to our poor 4th qtr in the 91 GF as well as Hawks with a week off.

But I still LOVE that 91 Prelim

I'll use my previous posts.

#12 - 2018 2nd Qualifying Final vs Collingwood
  • Dec 8, 2006
    WA
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Some moments become so iconic you can recognise the game from a single image.

This is one of those moments. This is one of those games.

Jetta.jpg

2018 Second Qualifying Final

West Coast 12.14 (86) def. Collingwood 10.10 (70)

Goals
    2: Ryan, Darling, Kennedy
    1: Vardy, Jetta, Sheed, Cripps, Rioli, Redden

Best
    Yeo, McGovern, Ryan, Jetta, Sheed, Redden

But lets rewind a bit. In the week leading up to this game I was sick. Really sick. The sickest I've been since undergoing treatment for cancer. It was bad. The day before the game I turned to my wife and said "If I'm still like this tomorrow, I won't be able to go to the game". It was really ******* bad. Anyone that knows me knows that that was one of the hardest admissions I ever had to make. Admitting I might have to miss a final.

The next day I woke up and felt ... better. Nowhere near 100%, and my voice was barely there when normally it doesn't get that bad until half time. But I was going to the game.

And what a game it was! Easily forgotten after the Grand Final managed to kick it up several notches, but my god. Just watch the highlights. Just watch them (just close your eyes at 0:48 :( Open them again at 1:10). You even get to see Mayne smacked in the head by the ball. Twice! And Willie is called Ryan because Victorians are dumb racist *s. Oh, and Shuey is even run down vs Collingwood in a final for old time's sake. Dude just isn't built for finals:

The noise at Optus was the best I've experienced to date. So glad I was able to recover in time to experience it live.

Lewis Jetta is made for the big stage and the big moments. Love him.

#13 - 2006 2nd Preliminary Final vs Adelaide
  • Jun 5, 2004
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    THE 2006 SECOND PRELIMINARY FINAL

lzqjek6.jpg

So the year was 2006. The year before, we’d lost a heartbreaking Grand Final, the closest result of the AFL era, to a fairytale team that was embraced by the entire remainder of the football community. This year was to be our redemption, but we stumbled against that very same team in the Qualifying Final, meaning no break this finals series and an away Preliminary Final to even make the Grand Final.

Back in the years of 05/06 there were three clubs who were thereabouts. Us, the Sydney Swans and the Adelaide Crows. The way it seemed to roll is we had Adelaide’s number, Sydney troubled us, and the Crows had a good record against the Swans. We’d even beaten the Crows a year ago in a home Prelim, and knocked them off in consecutive years in Adelaide (Football Park in those days, which wasn’t a happy hunting ground for us until this era). We’d even smashed the “Crowbots”, as they were known, during the season at Subiaco, announcing ourselves as the top dog on the comp.

But this was always going to be a tough assignment.

The hometown Adelaide crowd was at fever pitch to start the game and the Crows were on their game early, kicking with the breeze. The first 5 minutes or so were an arm wrestle, with both defences holding up their ends of the ground, until Nathan Bock got the opening goal for Adelaide. A chance to hit back saw Chad Fletcher pull his kick for a minor, opening the Eagles’ account. Soon after, Rowan Jones receive a free close to 50 out and failed to make the distance. Another attack saw Ashley Hansen have a snap at goal, only to hit the post. With just over 3 minutes left in the first, Scott Welsh snagged Adelaide’s second goal, and then they would get a centre clearance and a long kick to Brett Burton in the goalsquare and all of a sudden, our good work to hold the Crows up through handball possession was undone. We were down 20 to 2.

Quinten Lynch would mark at 50, soon after, but his long kick into the breeze was just offline for our third behind. Another rushed behind after a Mark Seaby kick saw us end the quarter goalless and down 21 to 4.

I recall at the time feeling a bit ill, being held goalless in a quarter of a final. Did not bode well, but if this side taught us anything, a 17 point deficit was nothing.

The second quarter saw Daniel Kerr grab our first goal a couple of minutes in. Embley bombed a massive behind a minute later and the Crows had a chance through Burton, but Adam Selwood would bump him for a behind. A disputed ball at halfback exemplified our midfield trio, as Ben Cousins tore it away, dished to Kerr who shrugged one tackle before handballing over his head to Chris Judd, who then decided the best way around someone was to do a lefthanded bounce and then burn them off.

H1EONaT.gif

The Crows would manage to get a goal against the breeze and the quarter time margin returned. Some pinpoint passes eventually ended with Adam Hunter up forward and was able to land our second major. Sam Butler had an open look soon after, but sprayed it wide. As the boys were using their run and handball game, the Crows would again kick an against the breeze goal, pulling the margin out to 16. A running shot by Jayme Graham went out on the full and some chances were going begging. Burton would manage to clutch a one hander and, all of a sudden, the Crows were 22 points up and really amping up for their first Grand Final since their back-to-back flags in the 90s. He had another shot soon after, and the game was now slipping away from us. Fortunately, his shot hit the post. Daniel Chick marked in the pocket but couldn’t navigate a goal and with the halftime siren sounding, it was Adelaide 41 to the Eagles 19, with Burton unlucky not to receive a late free and shot at goal. The scoreline and having a goalless quarter was eerily similar to the previous season’s Grand Final. We came back only to fall agonisingly short in that match. Was this to be a similar fate?

A few minutes into the second half, we’d land our third goal, again through a Hunter set shot. A period of repeat attacks would see Andrew Embley cleverly grubber one off the ground and cut the margin back to 9 points.

fKrgWyd.gif

We were back in business. A minute later and Cousins snapped a beauty on the run and it’s only 3 points the margin.

Ltzb8MN.gif

Hunter almost threaded a goal, Sheed style, from the boundary but hit the post. A long shot on the run by Cousins and not even halfway through the quarter it is now 1 point the difference. The Crows would repel an aggressive attack to score a Tyson Edwards steadier but the Eagles would hit back soon after with Hunter leading, marking and goaling for his third. Andrew McLeod would pull the Crows 9 points clear with a few minutes remaining in the third, but had Adelaide wasted their turn with the breeze? We’d certainly made up for doing the same ourselves in the second quarter. Another poster to Hunter and three quarter time saw the scores as Adelaide 56 leading the Eagles 48.

One quarter to go for one of these sides to meet Sydney in the 2006 Grand Final. The crowd were doing their part to lift their hometown heroes and they attacked early. A Daniel Kerr run down the wing saw the ball delivered into fifty but Hunter spilled a sitter. Hansen missed badly soon after, and some early chances were going begging. But Embley drove long to the goalsquare, allowing Hunter to mark and run straight in for his fourth.

TdNUpAa.gif

Back to 1 point. Lynch marked strongly and steered through his first, putting the Eagles in front for the first time in the game.

uGaJrKy.gif

Another long kick into the goalsquare saw Embley mark at the back of the pack and put the Eagles two goals up with just over half a quarter to go.

06814KG.gif

Another poster, this time from Lynch, and we were all over the Crows. We would pepper the goals, threatening to really put the game away as Adelaide could do seemingly little to stop our attacks. Somehow, a long kick into a pack in the Crows forward line ended in the hands of Matthew Clarke, who goaled and pulled them back to 10 points. Several Crows attacks were repelled until a Sam Butler snap brought it back out to 16 points with just over 7 minutes to go.

ehC8TfZ.gif

You just wanted this time to run down as quickly as possible. We were so close to shutting the game. With Channel 10’s 5 Minute Warning hitting, Nathan Bock had a shot but failed to score. The Eagles began sharing it around in their back half before some Chris Judd magic found Rowan Jones just outside the goalsquare. But RoJo is gonna RoJo and he would miss the sealer!

mLNC8to.gif

A goal down the other end to Bock and all of a sudden, the Crows had a sniff. The Crows repelled an Eagle attack to get it forward but Goodwin would miss. A repeat entry saw Bock mark in the pocket and he threaded a Dom Sheeder to get Adelaide within 4 points. They couldn't possibly pinch this game from us? It all came down to the last centre bounce. The bounce went straight up, the Crows tapped it back to Goodwin, and he had a chance to gather and drive it foward. But the whistle went! Tyson Stenglein got the free, found Fletcher who then speared it to Hansen in the forward 50. The siren would sound to seal a second straight Grand Final berth. He would goal to stretch the margin to 10 points but the story was that of the entire season. Dig Deep. Then Dig Even Deeper. Never did this side feel they were out of any contest. And the following week, they would claim the ultimate.

te6fNIJ.jpg

Last edited:
    #14 - 2015 2nd Qualifying Final vs Hawthorn
  • Qualifying Final 2015 – West Coast Eagles (14.12.96) def. Hawthorn (9.10.64)

1573644503463.png

The Context:
    2013 marked the end of an era for West Coast, with Eagles legend John Worsfold stepping aside from the head coach position, making way for Adam Simpson to take the helm of this great club. After a solid, albeit unremarkable, first season in charge, Simpson had one job – return the Eagles to the finals, lest we match our longest ever streak without September action (three seasons, imagine not supporting this juggernaut).

The 2015 season marked the beginning of Shannon Hurn’s tenure as captain, replacing another outgoing legend in Darren Glass. For all intents and purposes, this was as close to an organisational cleanout as the Eagles had seen in some time, with Simpson and Hurn hoping to make their mark on the blank slate ahead of them.

Despite starting the season with a 1-2 record, the Eagles found an identity in a zone defence, quick transition game plan that saw them rocket up the ladder to finish in second place. All-Australians Matthew Priddis, Andrew Gaff and Josh Kennedy led the way, firing the high scoring Eagles into September, while the emergence of Jeremy McGovern, the continued dominance of Nic Naitanui and midfield exposure of Elliot Yeo saw the club boast match winners on every line.

Put simply, the 2015 West Coast Eagles were good. How good? Well, to find that out, they’d need to test themselves against the very best.

Hawthorn entered 2015 as back-to-back Premiers, finishing just two premiership points below the Eagles on the ladder. While West Coast would host the Qualifying Final, history was on the Hawks’ side. The Eagles had failed to beat Hawthorn since 2012, losing five consecutive games to the Hawks including one at Subiaco Oval just weeks prior. Alistair Clarkson seemed to have the wood over his protégé, along with a wealth of finals experience against a man leading his team into September for the first time.

The season was fun, but this game was the first major test of Adam Simpson’s credentials. Coaching against his mentor, Simpson hoped he could lead the Eagles to their first home prelim in a decade. All he had to contend with was the back-to-back Premiers, an imminent storm….oh, and the game day withdrawal of his reigning Brownlow medallist.
    The Mood:
    Priddis rumour about a thigh. Would cripple us if true because it will be wet.

Looks like it will be dry for the first half or so then could get pretty wet pretty quickly.

Need a good start.

No Priddis no Masten no chance

If we win this, Simmo probs deserves a 9 year 10 million dollar contract.

Just belted a guy wearing a Hawks shirt who was minding his own business in the city because it's TIME TO HUNT!!!

fu** injuries, fu** Hawthorn, fu** diving and drink driving, fu** blocking the mark, fu** injunctions.

We are winning this game. Nic Nat to show the footy world to never doubt him for a second. fu** you Hawthorn.

I think I'm gonna be sick

**** I love this stuff!!

Get excited, this is what it's all about!!

Rip em lads!!!

I give the Eagles board a feisty 7/10.
    The Game:

First quarter: Nic Naitanui approached the opening bounce, more focused than perhaps any player on the field that evening. When the Eagles and Hawks last met, the star ruckman was a last-minute withdrawal, taking time away from football due to the passing of his mother. The ball was bounced, and Naitanui leapt to win the tap, his first of 40 hitouts, before following it up with the Eagles’ first possession of the game.

The two sides battled for supremacy, with the similar, skills driven gameplans clashing not only against one another, but with the intensity and scrappiness of finals football. The Eagles struck the first major blow, as Josh Hill was gifted a routine snap after a kick-in error. Jack Gunston snuck out the back of the Eagles zone to respond, before Elliot Yeo made his first major impact of a game that would prove to be a coming out for the emergent midfielder. The Hawks turned the screw ahead of quarter time, and the first term had been effectively a stalemate. With the rain looking imminent, and the veteran Hawks tipped to handled the conditions better, the Eagles would need to strike quickly. QT: WCE 2.2.14 trail HAW 2.3.15

Second quarter:
    Stop reading right now and watch this quarter. I’ll wait.

Did you watch it? Good.

A cheap 50 metre penalty saw Brad Sheppard kick his only finals goal to date, a just reward for a player tasked with battling beyond his weight class all season as he continued to blossom at the heart of Adam Simpson’s defensive system. Josh Kennedy showed his class, with the Coleman Medallist taking the quarter and game by the scruff of its neck, kicking them from everywhere in a classic display of forward craft. Luke Shuey’s 11 disposals fired the Eagles forward time and time again, while the defence dug in their heels and held the Hawks to just one behind in the term. Five goals to none. Breathtaking stuff. HT: WCE 7.6.48 lead HAW 2.4.16

Third quarter:
    The Hawks piled on the pressure to strike back at West Coast, but inaccuracy and some desperate defence held the visitors to just one goal in nearly 10 minutes of play. An uneasy four goal lead was extended by Josh Hill, before David Hale returned serve with a major of his own. It would be the last shot fired by Hawthorn.

The Eagles responded immediately with a forward entry that was unfortunately rushed through for a behind, but represented a clear indicator of the wave of pressure that was to come. LeCras, Cripps and Darling all took turns adding to the goal column, before Cripps marked in the goal square on the siren, slamming through another goal and sending Subiaco Oval into party mode. The Eagles had registered eight of the final 10 scores of the quarter, booting five goals to two and extending the lead to 50 points at the final change. Now they just had to hold on. 3QT: WCE 12.11.83 lead HAW 4.9.33

Fourth quarter:
    Jarryd Roughhead goaled within moments to open the term, cutting the margin to 44 points. Who cares? Shaun Burgoyne got in on the act, reducing the lead to 38. Josh Kennedy let the Hawks off the hook and, while time was draining off the clock, Hawthorn weren’t giving up the chase. Goals to Burgoyne and Isaac Smith made it four unanswered for the Hawks, and the margin was just 27 with nine minutes to play. The Eagles weren’t out of the woods yet.

A tense four minutes of football ensued, with the clock becoming an ever present factor. The Eagles repeatedly surged forward, but failed to find a clear shot at goal. Enter, Mark Clutchings. Capitalising on Naitanui’s ruck dominance, Hutchings found himself in possession of the ball directly in front, before Luke Hodge slammed into his back like he was a roadside pole during a drunken bender. Goal. Ball game.

The sealer had been kicked, now all that was left was jubilation. Nic Naitanui outmarked two opponents down the line (doesn’t do it enough tbh), sent the ball inside 50 and set up Josh Hill’s wonder strike for his third, and best, goal of the evening. That was that, the Eagles had done it. On cue, the rain began to fall over Subiaco Oval, and nobody cared for a damn second. FT: WCE 14.12.96 def HAW 9.10.64

The Impact:

1573644551503.png

1573644583307.png

This game tends to get buried given what was to come in the 2015 Finals series, but that’s a revisionist approach. At the time, this was the single biggest test that could have been thrown the Eagles’ way, and they passed with flying colours. The roar of the crowd as the siren sounded (kicked up a notch once the heavens opened) was, in my opinion, the best moment the Eagles had delivered in a decade. Relief. Hope. Joy. Pride. Adam Simpson’s Eagles were for real, and the 2015 Qualifying Final proved it.

Last edited:
    #15 - 2013 Round 8 vs North Melbourne
  • Feb 26, 2012
    Perth
    AFL Club
    West Coast
    Round 8 2013 vs Norf Melbourne

Inaugural Brad Scott Week

In a really disappointing year for the club, this week and game was potentially the only good thing to come out of it.

The West Coast BigFooty Board’s complete trolling of Brad Scott and Norf has the potential to completely blow up in our faces but oh was it so glorious, it could not have gone better.

First the Brad Scott avatars that took over this website were nothing short of extraordinary.

Then Nic Nat absolutely destroyed Majak Daw despite the billing by the media of some sort of heavyweight ruck battle.

Finally we saw one of the greatest plays of all time where Adam Selwood drew a characteristic free kick for a high tackle and sent it long to the top of the goal scare where Nic flew over the pack to take a mark at the death to ruin Brad’s day.

We continued Brad Scott week in almost all Norf games following but it never really had the same shine as the original.

I can’t be bothered searching for it but if you can find the original Game Day thread and Brad Scott avatars thread, then you’re in for a good time if you weren’t there to experience it at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back