Roast West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Farang83150

Premium Platinum
May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
I mean, isn't that the West Coast we've come to expect by now?
jerry seinfeld coffee GIF

Caligo

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2023
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I Malakai Champion ends up ranked top 5 and WCE get access to him, is that worse than Brisbane getting 2x Ashcroft father sons, despite being top of the ladder?
Yeah f/s makes a bit of a mockery of the draft sadly. I would be happy to do away with it, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

I wonder if the AFL would actually give WC that instead of a PP? Obviously people thought NM might get Sanders that way and it didn't happen, so I suspect not, but it is always dangerous to guess what the corrupt boys club at the afl might do next.

ep2018

Bigfooty Pessimist
Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully the rules for academy are changed this off season so teams finishing bottom 2 or bottom 4 can match at any time (as they should, teams who finish that low need all the help they can get, I was cool with North getting Sanders under a similar rule) so we can get Champion, he looks a jet, a genuine character as well.

eaglespremiers

BigFooty Forger
Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
If that offer North made was reported correctly (the three first rounders,) then the Eagle could have picked up Curtin, Hardeman and Collard. Three young, talented WA kids they could have built a dynasty around over the next decade. (We would have ended up with Reid, McKercher and maybe WDawson which is a huge net loss to us imo.)

They have Reid, who everyone raves about but who appears to lack real endurance, instead of three players who can cover all of the ground that Reid can.

If that's the sort of list management mistake they're gonna make do they really deserve a priority pick?
chris-evans-wow.gif

naysayer

Cancelled
May 12, 2023
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing is clear, the AFL's equalisation rules have produced some of the most preposterously unequal situations we've ever seen. When the grand finalists made off with the number one draft pick in 2020 I think we hit rock bottom, now we're just kind of circling the drain.

Last edited:

naysayer

Cancelled
May 12, 2023
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They have Reid, who everyone raves about but who appears to lack real endurance, instead of three players who can cover all of the ground that Reid can.

If that's the sort of list management mistake they're gonna make do they really deserve a priority pick?
Maybe WC could trade Reid next year for like 23 guys who can't actually play footy at all but are strong distance runners, since 'covering the ground' should be their sole consideration?

Honestly I hardly knew where to start with this comment. The irony of a North supporter having typed that last sentence is legendary.

naysayer

Cancelled
May 12, 2023
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully the rules for academy are changed this off season so teams finishing bottom 2 or bottom 4 can match at any time (as they should, teams who finish that low need all the help they can get, I was cool with North getting Sanders under a similar rule) so we can get Champion, he looks a jet, a genuine character as well.
Luckily for WC, the people who designed the draft already imagined how this would work: if you want him, then pick him.

We just went through the whole charade of North investing so much into Sanders, and he's so close to Harry Sheezel, and our club even plays in Tassie and they just needed another first-round pick in order to bring him home. In the end they had about 6 first-rounders, including 2 selections before him and they still didn't pick him.

Last edited:

Obeanie1

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
If that offer North made was reported correctly (the three first rounders,) then the Eagle could have picked up Curtin, Hardeman and Collard. Three young, talented WA kids they could have built a dynasty around over the next decade. (We would have ended up with Reid, McKercher and maybe WDawson which is a huge net loss to us imo.)

So North took McKercher a flight risk and reached for Goad and Will Dwason with late 1st rounders when they were rated mid to late 2nd rounders. Now that has the potential to turn into an epic waste of picks. Then again North has made this mistakes before and would expect more handouts if they AGAIN made a poor choice.

Instead of trading for Ried. North could have swapped McKercher for Ried and still landed Goad and Dawson with mid 2nd rounders.

So why would the Eagles give up a Ried just to gamble on a couple of flankers in Collard and Hardeman? We have Hough, Chesser and Burgeil likely to deliver similar output to Hardeman and just traded in Brockman who is very similar to Collard. Small medium forwards they have covered as well as half backs.

Why gove up Ried for two players we have covered already? We certainly dont have a quality mid forward such as Ried.

Time will tell who made the right call.

Last edited:

Danw0w

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol you won a flag just 5 years ago. You guys don't need any help.

Obeanie1

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Luckily for WC, the people who designed the draft already imagined how this would work: if you want him, then pick him.

We just went through the whole charade of North investing so much into Sanders, and he's so close to Harry Sheezel, and our club even plays in Tassie and they just needed another first-round pick in order to bring him home. In the end they had about 6 first-rounders, including 2 selections before him and they still didn't pick him.

Investing so much in Sanders?

Obeanie1

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah f/s makes a bit of a mockery of the draft sadly. I would be happy to do away with it, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

I wonder if the AFL would actually give WC that instead of a PP? Obviously people thought NM might get Sanders that way and it didn't happen, so I suspect not, but it is always dangerous to guess what the corrupt boys club at the afl might do next.

The Lions recent father son additions and another top 5 pick next year makes a mockery of the need for unlimited access.

The priority access for the Northern clubs was to balance the inequity of father sons and losing players to traditiinal football states. Well the Lions have cashed in big time on fathers sons recently and again in 2024. AND THEY have benefited greatly with top shelf Vic players requesting trades to a Northern club not leaving.

So what inequities have the Lions endurred over the past couple of years? None. They have made finals 5 years straight and were a kick away from a flag this year. That is not a list suffering from inequities. The welfare payments need to be cut back as they simply dont need them any longer, they are the 2nd best team in the comp right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Piggy Smalls

Piggy’s in the middle
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Absolutely spot on.

It's apparent the Eagles have got themselves into this mess due to poor list management. Going with the one pick and not trading out for three 1st rounders reeks of them wanting another year at the bottom, and then they will go begging to the AFL for assistance.
Assistance package should be off the table for poorly run teams.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
This is a bizarre comment. Didn’t North willingly trade out or delist all of their senior players then appoint two consecutive potatoes as coaches to effectively ensure none of their developing talent had any chance of thriving? To the point where the AFL had to step in and orchestrate the appointment of Clarkson to save them from themselves? Then they subsequently asked for an assistance package which compromised the entire draft this year.
If North win a premiership in the next 5 years they should engrave an asterisk onto the cup itself.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Eagles should totally ask for extra. AFL hasn't said they're winding back on that, unless they've done it privately. They've been uncompetitive for two seasons, so what's the worst that happens? The AFL says "no"? They might struggle to keep their one premiership per decade record in tact the way they're going.

Also, loving the work of the North posters in this thread! You guys are alright.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

JT_the_Man

Draft King
Dec 23, 2014
Wonders
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LCFC, LAL, 49ers, Melb Utd, Stars
I mean, they deserved one more than North this year. But priority picks in general need to be scrapped.

Caligo

Premiership Player
Aug 18, 2023
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Lions recent father son additions and another top 5 pick next year makes a mockery of the need for unlimited access.

The priority access for the Northern clubs was to balance the inequity of father sons and losing players to traditiinal football states. Well the Lions have cashed in big time on fathers sons recently and again in 2024. AND THEY have benefited greatly with top shelf Vic players requesting trades to a Northern club not leaving.

So what inequities have the Lions endurred over the past couple of years? None. They have made finals 5 years straight and were a kick away from a flag this year. That is not a list suffering from inequities. The welfare payments need to be cut back as they simply dont need them any longer, they are the 2nd best team in the comp right now.
Brisbane look to be in a very good spot at this very second, but it was only very recently they lost every single first and second round player they had under the age of 21 for table scraps. One of those players ended up being one of the best players on your list, a man who is still probably your best player (when healthy).

I agree that there need to be tweaks for the northern academies, and I understand WC disappointment at missing out on your NGA. WC are in the opposite position to Brisbane in that right this moment they look in big trouble. But over the last decade and a bit Brisbane has tended to struggle and WC has tended to do pretty well.

I am not worried about WC, if they get a PP or they don't, they will fix themselves. They are a well run club (on the field if not always off), and always have been. I see you guys and us as very similar in that regard.

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So North took McKercher a flight risk and reached for Goad and Will Dwason with late 1st rounders when they were rated mid to late 2nd rounders. Now that has the potential to turn into an epic waste of picks. Then again North has made this mistakes before and would expect more handouts if they AGAIN made a poor choice.

Instead of trading for Ried. North could have swapped McKercher for Ried and still landed Goad and Dawson with mid 2nd rounders.

So why would the Eagles give up a Ried just to gamble on a couple of flankers in Collard and Hardeman? We have Hough, Chesser and Burgeil likely to deliver similar output to Hardeman and just traded in Brockman who is very similar to Collard. Small medium forwards they have covered as well as half backs.

Why gove up Ried for two players we have covered already? We certainly dont have a quality mid forward such as Ried.

Time will tell who made the right call.
I appreciate the effort you've made to respond but that comment was just a pisstake. I don't have any problem with other clubs getting assistance if they're in the position we were.

McKercher wanted out of Tassie. Unlikely he wants to go back before he's 30. He's just what we needed too. Someone who can sprint all day. I think we'd have been mad to trade for Reid ourselves. We don't need him and ironically enough Duursma had a better output over the year. They fit our side well enough.

bzparkes

Cocker spaniel Wielder
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Agreed, inspiring almost. It's time North supporters stood in solidarity with the rest of the AFL to say: NO MORE PRIORITY PICKS
Well, they already did that 10 years ago when Melbourne were asking for assistance.

Times change, eh?

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
One thing is clear, the AFL's equalisation rules have produced some of the most preposterously unequal situations we've ever seen. When the grand finalists made off with the number one draft pick in 2020 I think we hit rock bottom, now we're just kind of circling the drain.

This would be the drain you be talking of?

1701042901463.png

With these two wanting to make their 'mark', its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

WeaponX

Senior List
Mar 14, 2023
AFL Club
West Coast
What will happen mid year if the Eagles are getting flogged by 100+ points every game ? Coach probably walks and it becomes an AFL issue now as well as an Eagle issue.

Monocle

And the rebuild begins.
Sep 18, 2003
Western Suburbs : Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Claremont NE Patriots Eagles AFLW
Don’t want any PP and the Club itself has publicly stated that they don’t support the concept of PP.

What’s more the Club did not request such from to the AFL this past draft.

The nature of the Competition is cyclical and as such it’s now our turn at the bottom, I have no problem with that.

The AFL’s cornerstone piece for poor sides to improve has been the draft and trade process.
It’s been something that they, the AFL, have been steadfastly preaching for decades now.

What the AFL need to do is NOT hand out any more PP or bullshit assistance packages, but focus their attention on getting the draft process more fair and equitable for ALL Clubs.

I also would like the AFL to scrap the compensation for Free Agents that move, the compensation that the Club gets for a departing player is the salary that they vacate, for the Club who lost a player to use themselves to attract a free agent to their Club.

The Northern Academy system is working wonderfully and has been a raging success, producing multiple high end kids that can now come into the AFL system.

What’s not be a great look however, is the bidding system and the way it’s been designed and subsequently rorted.

Likewise if Clubs are to be given Academies then they need equal access to the players that they have invested in.
Not as it is, in the current format whereby some Club can match bids while others can do so only after pick 40, sort this out and the angst against the Northern Academy kids access drastically reduces.

You can’t get a more ironic system than what was illustrated two years ago.

Melbourne could not match a bid on Mac Andrews who went to Gold Coast, and yet this year Gold Coast could match all the bids on all their players, this defective rule essentially allow Gold Cost to double dip in the system.

These are the sorts of anomalies that need urgently sorting out rather than spending any more futile time and debate on PP and other assistance packages.

So as a West Coast Eagles member and supporter I don’t want any fairy floss assistance package.

We will fight and work our way out of this current down period, and when we do the joy of having done so, will be heightened by knowing that we did it by ourselves.

Once you get into a beggar mentality you are doomed and become the AFL’s version of a dole bludger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back