2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who do you guys think is the most likely Beagle to crack the AFL side?

I think our backline will be tough to break into bar injuries. Unless Jetts or Cole has a run of bad games. Everyone else is established.

Hutchings might be in and out of the side depending on whether we want a tagger. Masten will probably be the one squeezed out when Gaff returns. If Yeo, Shuey or Redden get injured I'd suggest Brayshaw will get first crack.

Then I think we saw everyone auditioning for the forward line spots in rd 1.

I think our backline will be tough to break into bar injuries. Unless Jetts or Cole has a run of bad games. Everyone else is established.

Hutchings might be in and out of the side depending on whether we want a tagger. Masten will probably be the one squeezed out when Gaff returns. If Yeo, Shuey or Redden get injured I'd suggest Brayshaw will get first crack.

Outside of Brander, Waterman and Petch?

Ainsworth and Mallen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mallen would probably be next in line being an emergency this week and getting 28 disposals in the WAFL.

I’m willing to bet his kicking won’t be any different.

Hope we see the ugly campaigner improve quickly this year

For what it's worth I think Ainsworth is an outstanding talent - has footy smarts, unlike someone like Petrol who has speed but no idea where to position himself.
Would much rather have had a fit and ready Ainsworth playing for WC on the weekend, he would have fought tooth and nail for that ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Help please...are the Beagles playing at Optus oval before the big dance and unfurling of the flag this weekend?
Have you got an answer yet?

After the Mandurah match Brady Grey did say they'll be playing there in a few weeks ... so I'm betting if not this week then two weeks later for Berby.

It's also what Anus does with his leg as well.

He winds it back like he's using a sand wedge trying to get out of a bunker on a golf course. It's the furthest thing from controlled.

There's something about the campaigner i like, which is why i want him to fix this s**t as soon as possible and start stringing together some good games so he's not forever going to be remembered as the bloke we recruited over Worpel and Constable.

Taken me a while to get to posting this but -

As you will know the Beagles defeated their former host club by 14 points (12.10 to 10.8). It was a mostly scrappy game with a lot of skill errors from both sides partly attributable to a south westerly blowing across the ground.

Generally the beagles held sway without ever being completely dominant. Apart from a five minute burst when EP kicked 3 goals in quick succession to start the third quarter to wipe out a 19 point deficit west coast never really looked like losing - you always felt they had an extra gear so despite scores being level at the last change it seemed inevitable that WCB would kick away with whatever assistance the breeze gave (about 2 goals)

When assessing the win it should be noted that EP are likely wooden spooners as they rebuild their squad now the host club arrangement has finished. That said it was a pretty young beagles team out there with only a handful of players with AFL experience and only Achee with more than 20

Stats are pretty scarce as the eagles match report is the only source given it was only a practice game. Also keep in mind that the game was only 4x25min quarters with no time on so there’s was probably about 20 minutes less game time than usual

Individual players:

• Achee - 20 disposals and a goal. Played predominantly midfield either in the centre or off a wing and worked his way into the game after a quietish first half
• Ainsworth - 19 disposals. First competitive hitout for the season and the rust was evident. Did some ok things but wasn’t a big influence on the game. Will be better for the run. For those asking about his ball drop it wasn’t noticeably different but kicks generally hit their target (other than the Kelly style hacks forward that chaddy22 is a big fan of )
• Mallen - 28 disposals and a goal. Played centre square drifting forward and had a solid game. Didn’t think he had as much of the ball as the stats suggest but it was an encouraging performance for the newly minted midfielder
• Bines - no stats provided but they would have been minimal. Played as a deep forward and ruck relief for Brooksby. Quiet game and it was noticeable when he went into the ruck. Big learning curve ahead for the young basketballer
• Brayshaw - 23 disposals and 2 goals. Thought he was our best mid, especially early, and would have guessed he had the ball more than 23 times maybe because he used it well. He’s not quick but knows where to go to find the ball - I still question if his lack of pace that he can get away with at this level will hold him back from stepping up to AFL
• Brooksby - 1 goal but no other stats provided. Best ruckman on the ground and gave the beagles mids first use consistently. Took a handful of strong marks all over the ground including one up forward that lead to his goal. Solid game that will put pressure on Hickey
• Edwards - 6 disposals. Looked handy deep in defence despite his low possession count. Will have tougher days down back against better opposition but there’s a rough diamond there needing a bit of polish (and a few kegs of weight) I feel
• Foley - 12 disposals and a goal. Played on the wing. Took a nice mark inside 50 when he judged the flight of the ball dropping in the wind better than anyone else before slotting the goal from about 40. Played maybe 2/3rds game time as he builds match fitness
• McInnes - 5 goals. Arguably the best player on the ground providing a strong focal point in attack. Marked strongly and kicked accurately. If this was Brander we’d all be moist, hard or both depending on our sexual orientation. But it wasn’t, so we aren’t
• Mutimer - 23 disposals and 10 rebound 50’s. Probably our best defender even if his stats may be padded due to his role as a designated kicker from behinds. Solid game from moots
• Nelson - 18 disposals. Needs to be better at this level if he’s going to succeed as a mid.
• Riach - 12 disposals. Like bines he’s finding his feet at this level. Went largely unnoticed
• Rotham - 17 disposals. Solid and provided some good rebound playing as a KPD. Made one god awful pass in the backline they went five metres over his teammates head 15m away under no pressure but was otherwise pretty clean with his possessions
• Watson - 12 disposals. The biggest disappointment of the game for me. Looked out of sorts. Ball handling wasn’t clean and disposal was sloppy. Not his best game
• Williams - 1 goal. Very limited game time - maybe 50% at a stretch. Played deep forward when he was on the ground and had little impact. Did provide the highlight of the game with a ripping mark late in the last quarter. The resultant goal effectively sealed the win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back