Opinion West Coast Eagles Team "35"

Remove this Banner Ad

Altum Volantes

92 - 94 - 06 - 18
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Haven’t done a Best 22 (23?) in a while....but here’s my Top 50 from back in 2019 - alphabetically listed with their career highlights listed for each (should be easy enough to follow).

Not sure if anyone has really jumped up into consideration in the last couple of seasons to take a spot here - there will be some names people don’t like (Masten, Selwood, Fletcher) but they all had long careers and would be up around that 45-50 range.

1. Banfield, Drew (BF, 2P)

2. Braun, Michael (P)

3. Brennan, Michael (2P)

4. Cousins, Ben (BF, AA, C, B, P)

5. Cox, Dean (BF, AA, P)

6. Cummings, Scott (CM)

7. Darling, Jack (P, AA)

8. Embley, Andrew (P, NS)

9. Evans, Tony (2P)

10. Fletcher, Chad (AA, P)

11. Gaff, Andrew (BF, AA)

12. Glass, Darren (BF, AA, C, P)

13. Hart, David (AA, P)

14. Heady, Brett (2P)

15. Hunter, Adam (P)

16. Hurn, Shannon (AA, C, P)

17. Jakovich, Glen (BF, AA, 2P)

18. Judd, Chris (BF, AA, C, P, NS, B)

19. Kemp, Dean (BF, AA, C, 2P, NS)

20. Kennedy, Josh (AA, CM, P)

21. Kerr, Daniel (BF, AA, P)

22. Lamb, Dwayne (2P)

23. LeCras, Mark (BF, AA, P)

24. Lewis, Chris (BF, AA, 2P)

25. Lynch, Quentin (P)

26. MacKenzie, Eric (BF)

27. Mainwaring, Chris (BF, AA, 2P)

28. Masten, Chris (P)

29. Matera, Peter (BF, AA, 2P, NS)

30. Matera, Phillip (AA)

31. McGovern, Jeremy (AA, P)

32. McIntosh, Ashley (BF, AA, 2P)

33. McKenna, Guy (BF, AA, C, 2P)

34. Naitanui, Nic (AA, BF)

35. Priddis, Matt (BF, B)

36. Pyke, Don (BF, 2P)

37. Schofield, Will (P)

38. Selwood, Adam (P)

39. Sheppard, Brad (AA)

40. Shuey, Luke (BF, P, NS, C)

41. Stenglein, Tyson (P)

42. Sumich, Peter (2P)

43. Turley, Craig (BF, P)

44. Waterman, Chris (2P)

45. Waters, Beau (P)

46. White, Mitchell (AA, P)

47. Wilson, Peter (2P)

48. Wirrpanda, David (AA, P)

49. Worsfold, John (BF, AA, 2P, C)

50. Yeo, Elliott (BF, AA, P)

The Passenger

Freak Power
Mar 25, 2003
AFL Club
West Coast
No way Gaff or Yeo should be mentioned in this thread tbh
Yeo is 2xAA and 2xB&F, including one in a flag year. He's in the team.

Gaff is the conversation but is probably battling for one of the last spots on the bench. For a period of time I was thinking he was just edging Mainwaring but in recent times I've reneged on that view. Time can make you forget just how good some players were and I was pretty young when Mainy was in his pomp.

If you're picking a team to actually play a game, Gaff would get left in the cold. You don't need three wingmen in the team, and definitely not when you have Yeo and probably Embley in there as well.

The Passenger

Freak Power
Mar 25, 2003
AFL Club
West Coast
FB: Hurn, Glass, Wirrpanda
HB: McKenna, Jakovich, Worsfold (c) -> Woosha was the hardest to pick. In as captain, but I'm no longer 100% convinced he gets in on playing talent :(
Woosha is a tough one. With the emergence of Hurn and the Gov I don't think he makes our best ever back six anymore. I have the same back six but Gov in for Woosh.

Then it depends on how you're picking the interchange. Are you picking a team to play a match or are you just picking the four most deserving that didn't make the 18. If the latter, he's a pretty easy pick, but if it's the former he's going to be left out in the cold, and an Eagles all time team with no Worsfold just feels a bit wrong.

Clubs often take the easy way out with these teams and have six man benches. It will be interesting to see what the club does.

sdb4884

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
Woosha is a tough one. With the emergence of Hurn and the Gov I don't think he makes our best ever back six anymore. I have the same back six but Gov in for Woosh.

Then it depends on how you're picking the interchange. Are you picking a team to play a match or are you just picking the four most deserving that didn't make the 18. If the latter, he's a pretty easy pick, but if it's the former he's going to be left out in the cold, and an Eagles all time team with no Worsfold just feels a bit wrong.

Clubs often take the easy way out with these teams and have six man benches. It will be interesting to see what the club does.
Woosha's last 4 seasons as a player solely based on skill certainly dropped immensley since his best days as a player in the late 80's and early 90's but his prescence on field just made us a better team. Yes Gov probably deserves to start ahead of Woosha but for team balance Woosha gets the nod.

FKASC

Under Notice
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo is 2xAA and 2xB&F, including one in a flag year. He's in the team.

Gaff is the conversation but is probably battling for one of the last spots on the bench. For a period of time I was thinking he was just edging Mainwaring but in recent times I've reneged on that view. Time can make you forget just how good some players were and I was pretty young when Mainy was in his pomp.

If you're picking a team to actually play a game, Gaff would get left in the cold. You don't need three wingmen in the team, and definitely not when you have Yeo and probably Embley in there as well.
I guess Yeo could be a utility on the bench but I don’t feel like he has done enough as a mid (for long enough) to warrant being included as a mid, and not sure he pushes out any of our elite half back from the past.

I also don’t think number of AA or B&Fs should be the criteria for being included

Carbine Chaos

Ainsworth #33
Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Everton
I guess Yeo could be a utility on the bench but I don’t feel like he has done enough as a mid (for long enough) to warrant being included as a mid, and not sure he pushes out any of our elite half back from the past.

I also don’t think number of AA or B&Fs should be the criteria for being included
I think it comes down to team composition.

For example, if Priddis doesn't start on ball he doesn't realistically make the team, and he's not getting starting on ball ahead of Judd, Cousins, Kerr etc. He's not a player you want coming off the bench.

Yeo on the bench makes sense if you're trying to pick a balanced and versatile side.

Remove this Banner Ad