Opinion West Coast Eagles Team "35"

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
2021 is the 35th season of the West Coast Eagles football club and the club has often as stated below released it's current best ever side. The last one seems be team 25 which was ten years ago. Been thinking about this a lot I think there could be a few new inclusions for Team 35. I see an oddity between Team 20 and Team 25 where David Hart is not in 20 but is put back in 25 so I'll make sure that is noted when selecting 35.

Team of the Decade
In 1996 as part of the AFL's centenary celebrations, and the club's 10-year celebrations, the Eagles named a team of the decade. I'll include 7 subs 4 Interchange and 3 Emergencies but I'll count them as one unit.

Backs:David HartMichael BrennanAshley McIntosh
Half backs:Guy McKennaGlen JakovichJohn Worsfold
Centres:Peter MateraDean KempChris Mainwaring
Half forwards:Brett HeadyMitchell WhiteCraig Turley
Forwards:Chris LewisPeter SumichTony Evans
Ruck:Ryan TurnbullDon PykeDwayne Lamb
Interchange:Chris WatermanSteve MalaxosPeter Wilson
Team 20
In 2006 the West Coast Eagles named a greatest team of the past twenty years as part of the club's twentieth anniversary celebrations:

Backs:David WirrpandaAshley McIntoshMichael Brennan
Half Backs:Guy McKennaGlen JakovichJohn Worsfold (Captain)
Half Forwards:Brett HeadyMitchell WhiteChris Lewis
Forwards:Phillip MateraPeter SumichTony Evans
Ruck:Dean CoxChris JuddBen Cousins
Interchange:Chris WatermanDrew BanfieldDon Pyke
Dwayne Lamb
Coach:Michael Malthouse
Team 25
In 2011 the West Coast Eagles named a greatest team of the past twenty five years as part of the club's twenty fifth anniversary celebrations:

Backs:David HartDarren GlassMichael Brennan
Centres:Peter MateraBen CousinsChris Mainwaring
Half Forwards:Brett HeadyMitchell WhiteChris Lewis
Forwards:Phillip MateraPeter SumichTony Evans
Ruck:Dean CoxDean KempChris Judd
Interchange:Daniel KerrAshley McIntoshDon Pyke
Andrew Embley
EmergencyDavid WirrpandaDwayne LambMatt Priddis

TEAM 35

Backs:Shannon HurnDarren GlassDavid Wirrpanda
Half Forwards:Brett HeadyJosh KennedyChris Lewis
Forwards:Mark LeCrasPeter SumichJack Darling
Ruck:Dean CoxBen CousinsChris Judd
Interchange:Daniel KerrAshley McIntoshNic Naitanui
Andrew EmbleyLuke ShueyMatt Priddis
Jeremy McGovern

Last edited:
Very little about that line up I can criticise. Drew Banfield probably deserves a spot somewhere but I don’t know who I’d leave out.

We have a ridiculous array of riches at FB and CHB when you have McIntosh and McGovern coming off the bench and Monkey Brennan can’t even make the team.

Looks pretty good. I'd probably leave Phil Matera in over Lecca and I agree that Banners deserves a spot on the bench but we've produced some excellent players over the past 35 years.
Thats a tough one. Fiddo did average 0.16 more goals but leccas 2.01 career goals for a small forward in the modern game is elite (more than betts). Lecca did also spend a few years of his career playing as HFF/mid. Fido also didn't have guys like JD/Jk to contend for the bulk of career too.

Shuey and Yeo ahead of Gaff and Priddis for me.

Even though they're different players, I'd probably have shuey ahead of gaff just. I don't want to base it off of one game but it is kind of hard to look past a norm smith medalist.

I think Priddis is in over Yeo, Yeo can definitely overtake him but Priddis (While he couldn't run) was a hard nut, great tackler and Brownlow Medalist

Thats a tough one. Fiddo did average 0.16 more goals but leccas 2.01 career goals for a small forward in the modern game is elite (more than betts). Lecca did also spend a few years of his career playing as HFF/mid. Fido also didn't have guys like JD/Jk to contend for the bulk of career too.

Yeah I felt bad leaving Matera out but LeCras pipped him by a nose.

Different roles certainly, but I’d have Matera in over Heady, or certainly involved somewhere. Remarkably good output for a forward pocket. JD to the HFF and Matera to the pocket? Heady to the bench over....Someone? Tough ask.

In saying that, I watched a lot of archived games during the 2020 season hiatus, and was amazed and how ******* good Heady seemed to be, no matter which season or game I was watching. Surprises me he isn’t talked of in higher regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An amazing list. Reckon we’d have at least 4 players out of that group make an AFL Team “35”, with Jakovich, Matera, Cox and Judd. We are a lucky group of supporters for sure.

An amazing list. Reckon we’d have at least 4 players out of that group make an AFL Team “35”, with Jakovich, Matera, Cox and Judd. We are a lucky group of supporters for sure.

Imagine thinking Jakovich would make an AFL best of team over Rance, Grimes or Balta.

Different roles certainly, but I’d have Matera in over Heady, or certainly involved somewhere. Remarkably good output for a forward pocket. JD to the HFF and Matera to the pocket? Heady to the bench over....Someone? Tough ask.

In saying that, I watched a lot of archived games during the 2020 season hiatus, and was amazed and how ******* good Heady seemed to be, no matter which season or game I was watching. Surprises me he isn’t talked of in higher regard.

Jobby is criminally under-rated by most. Maybe it just wasn't cool to love a wing-nut?

Trying to name a team that can actually play (so I won't be going over the top with talls like Simmo, or play players out of position like the AA selectors etc):

FB: Hurn, Glass, Wirrpanda
HB: McKenna, Jakovich, Worsfold (c) -> Woosha was the hardest to pick. In as captain, but I'm no longer 100% convinced he gets in on playing talent :(
C: Pe. Matera, Judd, Gaff
HF: Embley, Kennedy, Cousins
FF: Ph. Matera, Sumich, LeCras

Ruck: Cox, Kerr, Kemp

Coach: Malthouse

Interchange and emergencies I'll need to think more to see who to squeeze in

I have him ahead of Mainy, and I have Embley on a HFF.

Matera untouchable.

Which wingman from our history would you have ahead of a 2x All-Australian Club Champion thug for life?
Embley was a wingman - putting him on HFF when we have had so many good forwards over time is All Australian selector s**t.

Gaff just ain’t that good. Purely rated because people like to look at stats. You’d be able to count the number of games he’s won for us on one fist hand IMO.

In 20 years time he’ll just be remembered as the guy who punched that guy and nothing more IMO

An amazing list of players. If it's for a team that actually plays though I think Yeo would be an excellent addition. The 06 stars always talk about how guys like Stengleine and Rojo did all the hard stuff like tackling and blocking for them, which yeo could certainly do, but with the added bonus of being an explosive powerhouse that has been a 2-time AA & BnF winner himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back