Game Day West Coast Eagles vs Fremantle Dockers: A very MAD derby

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh yes, the infamous Barrass "Harry Highpants" photo which according to some showed he was not taking the game seriously, affected his form causing him to concede crucial goals in tight losses and ultimately led to the complete downfall of our premiership defence.

Ahh yes, the infamous Barrass "Harry Highpants" photo which according to some showed he was not taking the game seriously, affected his form causing him to concede crucial goals in tight losses and ultimately led to the complete downfall of our premiership defence.
Also he gave an interview where he said he didn’t care about footy

How much do Sunday arvo games suck? 😕

If we sh*t the bed in this one I'll be filthy going to work the next day! Set me up for a good week, Eagles 🌈
A Sunday night game..well on TV anyway..unusual. Hope the weather holds out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from Mongrel Punt (hope not breaking any rules) -
"The Dockers could win or lose this by 8 goals and neither result would surprise me. It’s just that kind of game. An Eagles win would be a record ten Derby wins in a row, but something tells me this Dockers’ side has a little more determination than they may have in the past. JL knows all about derbies, and he’ll be buying into them..."

Honestly: play like we did against GC, Brisbane and Port, we'll go down. Play like we did against Sydney and Adelaide, we'll have an uninspiring win. Play like the flag winning team we are, we'll splatter them. The ball is in our court.

I don’t disagree with you, I just think this is part of the problem with having premiership aspirations. It’s what made 2018 so special too I think, the ridiculously low expectations to begin.

The Sydney game was alright for me, needed to show up physically and we even saw some nice play in bursts. Last week was a very uninspiring win. Ultimately though, a 33 point win is still pretty good. If you buy into the fact that a 33 point win in shortened games would have been a 41 point win in the regular length game (33/0.8), that again is still a pretty damn good win.

The performance was thoroughly uninspiring so you are right, we sort of just did what we needed to do and happened to win comfortably cause Adelaide are s**t, but I think at a certain point needing to see more than a 6-8 goal win is setting yourself up for failure from an emotional standpoint. Freo are a much bigger test than Adelaide, so a 30 point win here is much more than a 30 point win over the Crows, just as beating the Richmond of old is more impressive than beating Gold Coast of old by the same amount.

I’m just trying to rationalise my own expectations to a degree here. If we turn up this week with a comfortable 30 point win like last week, I don’t think people will race to say “we’re back” because Freo without Fyfe is hardly a statement game. I do think though at a certain point minimising wins of that nature just leads to everyone feeling a bit flat for a position most fan bases would kill for.

I know your comment was more about performance than margin, but I’m just thinking out loud. Has bugged me all week how nothing I felt about a much needed fortnight of results.

I think they're in form and we're only slightly coming back into form. This will be a real tussle, and I'm not as confident as you on the win.
They're priding themselves on last quarter comebacks, so we're going to have to fight to the end to win this one.
Like Donald Trump would say,
I think you are suffering from the “Victoria” virus.

Lack of confidence and a bleak outlook on life. No time this week for conservatism.

Like Donald Trump would say,
I think you are suffering from the “Victoria” virus.

Lack of confidence and a bleak outlook on life. No time this week for conservatism.
I just think they're a better outfit than previous encounters, and we haven't beaten anyone of note yet. Hoping for a W tomorrow and a scotch on the couch afterwards.

Know anyone who can sneak me over the border?

I just think they're a better outfit than previous encounters, and we haven't beaten anyone of note yet. Hoping for a W tomorrow and a scotch on the couch afterwards.

Know anyone who can sneak me over the border?

48nuz3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back