Review West Coast Eagles vs Geelong

Which Eagles/Cats game will we watch this week?

• 1992 Grand Final

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 1994 Grand Final

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • R10, 2006 - Impossible comeback at Kardinya

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • R16, 2011 - Rebounding Eagles make Friday night statement

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • R20, 2012 - The deliberate farce

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • R3, 2018 - Thriller at Optus Stadium

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicoski could have been An A grade star if he wasn’t so damn injury prone. Glad he got to dominate 2011.
He's such a good bloke too. I had a surgery on my arm when i was about 15yo, and my surgeon does all the eagles players. The morning after my surgery they sent me down to the rehab centre in the hospital to get a cast and start some exercises. I felt like absolute s**t, in pain, groggy from medications and feeling sick. I saw him sitting in the waiting room, he was wearing a cap pulled down over his face trying to remain low-key and not get noticed. We both got called in around the same time and we are doing rehab stuff sort of next to each other. He could see i was really struggling and feeling s**t and just started chatting to me to cheer me up. Spent a solid 30min just chatting with each other.

Just finished watching the 2006 comeback:

-Loved hearing Quartermain write off the Eagles in the commentary box toward the start of the third
-Waters delivers a crushing bump on Tom Harley toward the start of the third which puts him out of the game. May have been a match turner, because Eagles had only taken one mark I50 at that point
-Cousins was getting belted but kept trying until the end. He took the heat and Kerr got of the chain
-One of the best games is RoJo's career - he didn't have the skill but he was 100% effort
-The Geelong crowd are a bunch of ferals, make us Perth based West Coast supporters look like Nannas. They were going off their tree at umpiring decisions and several shots of the crowd showed them flipping the bird and swearing at the umps. Was great to see.
-Embley from outside 50 on the run was much better odds than 20m directly in front. Kicked some huge bombs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a nice goal about 33:50 from Lecca. Smooth pickup off an errant Varcoe handball, splits two defenders with a beautiful feint and goals on the run from just inside 50.
Elite. Funny how these things would have been the massive highlights of the day but fall by the wayside over time. That's as good a goal as any Lec has ever kicked.

Elite. Funny how these things would have been the massive highlights of the day but fall by the wayside over time. That's as good a goal as any Lec has ever kicked.
Just took it for granted back then. You knew as soon as Le Cras had the footy anywhere near the goals he would be a good chance of scoring

Next up is the Round 16, 2011 clash which elevated the Eagles from the surprise packet of the season to a genuine contender.

Thank you very much for that H.B.
Watched it over the course of the day doing work in the yard.
Fantastic.
Dean Cox was simply amazing...going straight off the bat no real stand outs, which is a WCE trait that I like.
Bunga doing what he is still doing.
Pridda got the same legspeed as Wojcinski....don't care if you don't believe me, Tom Harley said so.
Would've preferred that Collingwood won the GF that year
Thanks again mate, very enjoyable, rode every bump like I didn't know the result...even got a little nervous in the pregame stuff.:):$
Just love the footy like all of us.
Cheers, hope this continues.
Edit; this is an uplifting thing ATM. Thanks guys for the idea and the efforts.

Last edited:
I watched the first quarter of the 2011. Can remember Embers huge goal in the last tho.

BTW did we ever look a trying Embers as an inside mid when our midfield fell apart after Judd and Cuz's exit? I barely got to watch any games between 08 -10 due to being in Adelaide and not having foxtel.

Hunter is clutch AF
Hunter and Embley were amazingly clutch in that era. The big names obviously were consistently brilliant, but when you look at all the great games of that era it's uncanny how often those two are the ones kicking the late goals.

Hunter kicked 23 goals in the 10 games that I think were the most memorable/critical* of that era- the 7 finals, the back to back comeback games in 2006, and the 2006 GF rematch against Sydney. He only kicked 20 goals in his other 35 games in those years. I know Throw Hunter Forward (TM) became a bit of a meme at the time, but it was actually pretty amazing how often he would deliver for us when the game needed it. For a guy whose resume was just a tick over 150 games, with no individual honours#, his influence was much higher in that era. 20 of those goals were second half goals too, quite remarkable.

*Actually I think the game in 2006 where we smashed Adelaide by 80+ points was the turning point of the 2006 season, but Hunter didn't play in that game.
#Aside from coming 2nd in our best and fairest in 2007, which is not something I even remembered

Hunter and Embley were amazingly clutch in that era. The big names obviously were consistently brilliant, but when you look at all the great games of that era it's uncanny how often those two are the ones kicking the late goals.

Hunter kicked 23 goals in the 10 games that I think were the most memorable/critical* of that era- the 7 finals, the back to back comeback games in 2006, and the 2006 GF rematch against Sydney. He only kicked 20 goals in his other 35 games in those years. I know Throw Hunter Forward (TM) became a bit of a meme at the time, but it was actually pretty amazing how often he would deliver for us when the game needed it. For a guy whose resume was just a tick over 150 games, with no individual honours#, his influence was much higher in that era. 20 of those goals were second half goals too, quite remarkable.

*Actually I think the game in 2006 where we smashed Adelaide by 80+ points was the turning point of the 2006 season, but Hunter didn't play in that game.
#Aside from coming 2nd in our best and fairest in 2007, which is not something I even remembered

The game within a game of Hunter v Mooney makes it so much sweeter in that 2006 game as well. I missed the Hunter getting shoved into the dugout bit but saw him come back on wrapped up like a Mummy. Mooney goes on to have an amazing first quarter before being tamed a bit in the second or third. Then Hunter goes forward in the last, drags Mooney with him and pulls his pants down. Exceptional.

Hunter was in my top 3 favourite players from that era.

Nothing beat the HUNTAAAAAAAAAA!!! feeling in those heart attack inducing matches.

I watched the first quarter of the 2011. Can remember Embers huge goal in the last tho.

BTW did we ever look a trying Embers as an inside mid when our midfield fell apart after Judd and Cuz's exit? I barely got to watch any games between 08 -10 due to being in Adelaide and not having foxtel.

Would have been a decent idea but think they really wanted him in the HBF though out the 2008 season to let Rosa and Braun use the wings.

Back