Review West Coast Eagles vs Richmond

Which Eagles/Tigers game will we watch this week?

• Round 1, 1987 - Eagles burst onto the scene

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Round 6, 1992 - Season righting comeback at the G

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Round 5, 2012 - Thriller at Docklands

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Round 9, 2018 - West Coast make a statement

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The early rounds of 1992 (don't remember which) at the G, we had a 1 point win I think, helped get our season on track after a luck luster start.

Richmond were turd at the time, we were coming off the minor premiership in 91, but were spudding it up in early 92. Was a vital comeback (I think?) win at the home of footy, vital to our push for maximum honours that year.

Round 5 2012. Absolute cracker of a game at Marvel Stadium.

Tight all the way through. The final minute provides Beau Water's mark of the year contender and a second year Jack Darling basically replacing an injured Kennedy (went down in this game, I believe) and Mark LeCras who was out with a knee as our main forward for 2012 and snapping the sealer.

The early rounds of 1992 (don't remember which) at the G, we had a 1 point win I think, helped get our season on track after a luck luster start.

Richmond were turd at the time, we were coming off the minor premiership in 91, but were spudding it up in early 92. Was a vital comeback (I think?) win at the home of footy, vital to our push for maximum honours that year.

I remember this game being abhorrent, and yet I'd love to get a copy of it. :p We had a shocking start to 1992, dropping games to Sydney, Richmond, Fitzroy and drawing with Brisbane. They were the bottom 4 of 1991. We also got completely outclassed by Geelong at home. Season looked hopeless.

The game that got our season back on track was against the Bulldogs. We finally turned it on and went on a series of 4 wins followed by a loss for the remainder of the season (with the GF capping off our final 4 straight wins patch).

I know it's low hanging fruit, but the 2018 game.

Big dick Tigers waltz into town and get absolutely pummeled. Rance embarrassed by multiple forwards, Dusty tried the find off on Yeo and NN and got caught multiple times. Darling has a career best game. Scott Lycett, in the middle of an Eagles scoring blitz, decides he's Haydn ******* Bunton and pulls off an epic sidestep only to miss the goal. The crowd was electric. Biggest crowd in the stadium to date. Tigers get a taste of what home ground advantage means.

Tigers fans remind everyone that they don't have to earn home ground advantage because the GF is at the MCG. We went there in September but couldn't find them.

Big dick Tigers waltz into town and get absolutely pummeled. Rance embarrassed by multiple forwards, Dusty tried the find off on Yeo and NN and got caught multiple times. Darling has a career best game. Scott Lycett, in the middle of an Eagles scoring blitz, decides he's Haydn ******* Bunton and pulls off an epic sidestep only to miss the goal. The crowd was electric. Biggest crowd in the stadium to date. Tigers get a taste of what home ground advantage means.

Tigers fans remind everyone that they don't have to earn home ground advantage because the GF is at the MCG. We went there in September but couldn't find them.
That game was the day after my wedding. It was abnormally warm for May (about 30 degrees) and I remember getting absolutely smashed with my best mates up in the stands. The crowd was after Richmond blood and they got it.

We had this week pencilled in as one of the games of the year. Hopefully we were going to see those flat track bullies get smashed on one of the rare occasions they left their beloved MCG. Makes me sad thinking about it.

Such a perfect synopsis.

All season I've been waiting for this round because I wanted a reason to watch the first ever game. Then I was reminded of the Waters hanger, and watched the end of that 2012 game, and hoped that would win.

Now I want 2018 to win. * sake. Too many good options, going to be a ripping vote.

All season I've been waiting for this round because I wanted a reason to watch the first ever game. Then I was reminded of the Waters hanger, and watched the end of that 2012 game, and hoped that would win.

Now I want 2018 to win. fu** sake. Too many good options, going to be a ripping vote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 purely because Jack “The King” Darlings. If my memory serves me correct, he had a huge number of contested marks.
It is good to know your memory is still in tact vish.

Darling set career highs in marks, kicks, goals, contested marks, marks inside 50 and 1%ers that game. And 3 possessions short of his career best.

2018 purely because Jack “The King” Darlings. If my memory serves me correct, he had a huge number of contested marks.

He was the best forward in football during that first half of 2018, was in remarkable form, and I recall he was being discussed on 360 as potentially the most influential player in the league in season 2018.

He had 15 marks that day, kicked six goals and missed an absolute sitter on the siren for seven.

That said, Alex Rance held Scott Lycett to a reasonably quiet evening.

He was the best forward in football during that first half of 2018, was in remarkable form, and I recall he was being discussed on 360 as potentially the most influential player in the league in season 2018.

He had 15 marks that day, kicked six goals and missed an absolute sitter on the siren for seven.

That said, Alex Rance held Scott Lycett to a reasonably quiet evening.
That was the night I hit puberty for the second time at 24 years of age.

2018 for sure.
There was another against the Tigs at the G- the last time we beat them there which was either 2015 or 2016 from memory. We won by 20 points but Nic Nat put on an all time clinic in the first quarter of supreme rucking. I reckon he had 8 taps down the throat of our mids in that quarter. Best exhibition of tap ruckmanship i have seen.Reckon Shuey got on the end of a couple leading directly to goals. The Tigers were scared that day my friends.

2018 for sure.
There was another against the Tigs at the G- the last time we beat them there which was either 2015 or 2016 from memory. We won by 20 points but Nic Nat put on an all time clinic in the first quarter of supreme rucking. I reckon he had 8 taps down the throat of our mids in that quarter. Best exhibition of tap ruckmanship i have seen.Reckon Shuey got on the end of a couple leading directly to goals. The Tigers were scared that day my friends.
I was at that game for a footy trip with my mates. It was 2015 - Friday night from memory. I remember strutting around the MCG after we won, confident we'd make the GF (I bought tickets in the next few weeks).

It's a shame we lost the 2019 game. It was rated pretty unanimously as the best game of the year iirc.
Yep - but I can't bring myself to watch it again. One minute we were pushing for top 2, possibly even top spot, then in less than a week we dropped to fifth and the premiership dream was over. I was fairly disconnected through the finals series as well, didn't help that the GF was so boring.

Yep - but I can't bring myself to watch it again. One minute we were pushing for top 2, possibly even top spot, then in less than a week we dropped to fifth and the premiership dream was over. I was fairly disconnected through the finals series as well, didn't help that the GF was so boring.
The first quarter was liquid football

Back