Review West Coast Eagles vs Sydney

Which Eagles/Swans classic will we watch this week?

• Round 9, 1999 - Last victory at the SCG

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Round 8, 2004 - Farewell Glen Jakovich

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Qualifying Final, 2005

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Round 1, 2007 - Kerr brilliant in another thriller

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1588669207839.png

West Coast and Sydney created one of the greatest rivalries in AFL history, so there's plenty of games to choose from in this week's vote.

Usual drill of nominate, vote, watch - however: due to the AFL's much stricter pursuit of copyrighted finals content, the 2006 Grand Final is off limits. I've tried to upload it in the past, it won't work, so let's go to the next best alternative.

Nominate your favourite Eagles/Sydney clash of all time, and we'll turn the decision over to the board later in the week.

The 2005 qualifying final. It often gets forgotten because we lost the GF, but it was a cracker that we won by 4 points.

Seconded. We needed something special in that one. Sydney held us at bay for most of it. There was the Stenglein free when he and Leo Barry clashed that caused BigFooty to claim Sydney were robbed (nevermind Sydney got the goal back soon after anyway).

Big moments:

HUNTAAAFLIES!!!

Sampi... SAMPI.... SAMPIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times. campaigner of a game 3 weeks later, though.

Seconded. We needed something special in that one. Sydney held us at bay for most of it. There was the Stenglein free when he and Leo Barry clashed that caused BigFooty to claim Sydney were robbed (nevermind Sydney got the goal back soon after anyway).

Big moments:

HUNTAAAFLIES!!!

Sampi... SAMPI.... SAMPIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times. campaigner of a game 3 weeks later, though.
(Anthony Hudson) What a great grab, see it again say the fans. This defender has turned key foward for the Eagles tonight. Adam Hunter took the great mark, KICKED A GREAT GOAL! THIS IS A FINAL TO REMEMBER!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerr’s game vs Sydney in R1, 2007 is the second highest champion data performance of the last 15 years according to this -

Interesting - Buddy's 13 made equal second but Lecras' 12 was no-where to be seen.

Love how Norf featured as the opposition team in three examples. Also love that both Eagles were in thrilling wins.

Round 1 2007.

The build-up to that game was intense. Cousins, Robert Walls, parents openly saying their kids won't play for us if we tried to draft them (an attitude that saw us draft local boy and life long supporter, the 200 game life member and premiership superstar Chris Masten :hearteyes:). The angelic Swans that did nothing dodgy after the 2012 Grand Final vs Satan's spawn. An injury list as long as my arm.

Enter Daniel Kerr :hearteyes:

I daresay the psyche of the club and supporter base was re-forged during that time. * the VFL.

2005 Qualifying Final, one of my personal favourite games, would've had more praise if we went onto win the flag that year. Hunter and Sampi huge in the last quarter, one of the loudest crowds ever at Subi.

I've burned the 2005 game out of my mind given what happened next. A shame. Just rewatched some last quarter highlights. Hunter was a star, one of my absolute favourites from that era, he deserves more than becoming a "Swing Hunter forward!" joke at Woosha's expense. Cox is the best ruckman I've ever seen, and Sampi. *. What a waste :(

Back