2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it before but Eric Mackenzie did spend some time playing off the wing for Claremont in his early years.

Haha that's amazing. First I've heard it.

The big fella must have had a better turning circle on him back in the day. Hard to imagine from his full back days at west coast.

Haha that's amazing. First I've heard it.

The big fella must have had a better turning circle on him back in the day. Hard to imagine from his full back days at west coast.

He was skinny, athletic and had a good tank when he first came to us

He was skinny, athletic and had a good tank when he first came to us

I honestly have zero recollection of Emac prior to... 2009 I think. Cost us a game vs the swans at ANZ stadium kicking back across goals :straining:

Think he did the same thing in 2011 and stubbed his toe vs St Kilda gifting Riewoldt a goal.

Last edited:

6A1FKq3.png

1dHPlZc.png

Watching Talia over the weekend just shows how much the game has moved on from players like him an Emac. 3-5 years ago they were the KPD's every club needed.

TBF EMac had more tools than Talia but his kicking is a filth as Talia's/

How's Foley being going in the beagles boys? Being a year older than our other first years I'd be expecting him to have more of an impact

Watching Talia over the weekend just shows how much the game has moved on from players like him an Emac. 3-5 years ago they were the KPD's every club needed.

TBF EMac had more tools than Talia but his kicking is a filth as Talia's/

Was rewatching the highlights from the weekend and was thinking something similar about Jenny Talia, not sure if he's actually ever been a good footballer but he's forged a career on being a scragging stopper and doesn't offer much once he loses his man.

Was rewatching the highlights from the weekend and was thinking something similar about Jenny Talia, not sure if he's actually ever been a good footballer but he's forged a career on being a scragging stopper and doesn't offer much once he loses his man.

Jk could have ruined him like he has done in the past. Stats say 3 goals 8 touches and 4 marks but JK had his measure by a fair margin.
Yep and he was bloody good at it for so long. Then Gov came out and ****ed s**t up for him.

Brander should have been shackled immediately in the forward 50, and told to develop his strength and add size to his frame as soon as we drafted him.

Instead he's a Scott Pendlebury, Scott Lucas, Scott Thompson, Scott Waters, Scott Gumbleton hybrid.

He's added minimal size and played almost as far away from the goal square as possible every other week.

Add in the fact his only exposure at AFL level has been a roaming wing role and a heavy loss followed by a routine dropping the next game. Marvelous.

Use our top pick drafting JK's heir apparent rather than a midfielder... and then seemingly proceed to de-KPF him.

Why couldn't he have done exactly what Allen is doing right now? Playing tall forward alongside JK and Darling, learning the ropes and cementing his spot in the team.

Nah bruh. Let's turn him into a wingman.

Frustrating.
Great Scott!
1559090205824.png

Nothing against OAllen who's done well but Brander could have easily be playing the OAllen role better, better in defence and would bet he could outjump him in a tap.

However he's not a JK replacement (look at Williams) and was considered best defender of that year's draft and would make a great intercepting defender if McGov wanted to stand on a player or any defending position.

However he's been played as a wing, which he can play as well but the continual dropping after one game is indefensible and only sends the messages that we don't rate him or support him when with his huge talent we should be getting games into him at the top level, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However he's been played as a wing, which he can play as well but the continual dropping after one game is indefensible and only sends the messages that we don't rate him or support him when with his huge talent we should be getting games into him at the top level, in my opinion.

Big call from outside the club walls. We have no idea what discussions are had with Brander. If he is expecting to get these games and go straight out I can't see why he would get bent out of shape. The only reason he would have to be upset is if what the club is telling him is the planning around Brander and what they are doing are at odds.

Big call from outside the club walls. We have no idea what discussions are had with Brander. If he is expecting to get these games and go straight out I can't see why he would get bent out of shape. The only reason he would have to be upset is if what the club is telling him is the planning around Brander and what they are doing are at odds.

Yeah spot on.
Could very well be part of his development game where he is given the odd game so he can get a feel for where he needs to be at, but has been told the bulk of his development will be in the WAFL.

Great Scott!
View attachment 682507

Nothing against OAllen who's done well but Brander could have easily be playing the OAllen role better, better in defence and would bet he could outjump him in a tap.

However he's not a JK replacement (look at Williams) and was considered best defender of that year's draft and would make a great intercepting defender if McGov wanted to stand on a player or any defending position.

Wasn’t he a potential number 1 draft pick when he was playing as a KPF but he was moved down back in his draft year and subsequently dropped down the order?

I would very much like to see Brander given a run in Oscar's spot, but he won't be going anywhere anytime soon after his match-winning goal vs Crows. Plus not sure if JB can pinch hit if we're only playing 1 ruck, although Darling could easily replace him in that role.

I know it's very, very harsh on Brander, but I really expected more.

Our kids in Oscar Allen, Petrucelle, Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli are all doing well, and Brander was meant to be the best of the lot.

And yet, in terms of development they are all miles ahead of him atm. And they are all playing regular senior football.

Even Venebles, who I believe is very much out form and has been getting gifted game this season, has had his moments.

I just worry that Brander ends of becoming a Liam Jones or Jarred Grant type of player; a tall who excelled at junior level, but never quite fills out or gets strong enough to permanently hold down a key position post.

Maybe the club can see this and is why they are being proactive at trying to make him a winger/on baller.

At any rate, he still has plenty of time on his side.

I know it's very, very harsh on Brander, but I really expected more.

Our kids in Oscar Allen, Petrucelle, Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli are all doing well, and Brander was meant to be the best of the lot.

And yet, in terms of development they are all miles ahead of him atm. And they are all playing regular senior football.

Even Venebles, who I believe is very much out form and has been getting gifted game this season, has had his moments.

I just worry that Brander ends of becoming a Liam Jones or Jarred Grant type of player; a tall who excelled at junior level, but never quite fills out or gets strong enough to permanently hold down a key position post.

Maybe the club can see this and is why they are being proactive at trying to make him a winger/on baller.

At any rate, he still has plenty of time on his side.

Premature pessimism. He'll bulk out or he won't, trailing him a variety of roles should help him down the road especially with the glut of talls we've got.

Could be the #10, could be the way he grabs the ball, could be the running style.
Whatever it is, he reminds me of Pendlebury.
BRB starting a “Does Venables Brander remind anyone else of Judd Pendlebury” thread

That arguably has more to do with the Dogs' inability to develop talls. Brander may just take longer to develop - Riewoldt didn't have his first great season until about 3 or 4 years in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back