Status
Not open for further replies.

chaddy22

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Shepard a wasted pick because he’s a back flanker?

Not everyone can get 25-30 touches, if they do you’re over using the ball. Ideally if you’re playing half forward 15-22 disposals in a winning side is more than enough.

Venables needs to stay involved for longer, make more use of his bursts on ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shepherd isn't a wasted pick because he is a gun back flanker.At the moment Venables is a wasted pick as he was our first pick who was a half forward and part time midfielder who many think will be a gun.I can't see him getting into the side as a forward flanker as he has been surpassed by Rioli,Ryan and petrruccelle.His only chance is if he can become a decent midfielder.Is he playing midfield at wafl level?.If he doesn't develop he will end up another shane bond.

Shepherd isn't a wasted pick because he is a gun back flanker.At the moment Venables is a wasted pick as he was our first pick who was a half forward and part time midfielder who many think will be a gun.I can't see him getting into the side as a forward flanker as he has been surpassed by Rioli,Ryan and petrruccelle.His only chance is if he can become a decent midfielder.Is he playing midfield at wafl level?.If he doesn't develop he will end up another shane bond.
How long did it take Sheppard to become a gun back flanker?

Years.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Is Shepard a wasted pick because he’s a back flanker?

Not everyone can get 25-30 touches, if they do you’re over using the ball. Ideally if you’re playing half forward 15-22 disposals in a winning side is more than enough.

Venables needs to stay involved for longer, make more use of his bursts on ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shep had to bide his time until the other great white hope ash smith finally got the arse
I hope venners comes good but definitely have my doubts.
Lets face it if he was showing more these discussions wouldnt be happening

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

surfstitch

Senior List
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Fisher is a gun. Hope we rookie him.

22 touches, 9 marks 4 inside 50's.
I agree. He had 17 kicks can hit a target perfectly kicking whether they are by themselves or in a pack. Some went OOB but it was a swirly day. Very surprised not to see him listed as one of the best players on that wafl stat sheet above. All of this and he's playing out of position, being a natural forward.

surfstitch

Senior List
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Just my opinion with a few thoughts about the game. Difficult windy conditions mainly blowing across ground west to east but road end was a lot harder to kick goals at. Missing five in the first quarter (0.5 to 2.1) at the good end might have come back to bite them with the end result, maybe not.

Second quarter we added 1.3 with the only goal in the half at the worst end a beauty set shot from Cameron. Kept Subi to 2.5 in this quarter by playing chaos ball that Ross the Toss would be proud of, although most Subi misses coming from undisciplined shots blazing away from further out. Often we had 18 back in defence and most in the forward 50 arc, there was many minutes where the ball didn't move with multiple tackles, smothers and ball ups. If Venables got any tackles I'd think it was in this type of play.

Had the best 3rd quarter kicking 4 goals straight to 1.2 with the two speckkies from Brander one a set shot from around 60 and the other from 50 from the other side of the field showing it wasn't a fluke. A fast break goal from Hug and one from McInnes. Scores were even at 3/4 time.

In the last, kept it a tight contest for almost all the the quarter but a couple of easy looking set shots were missed at the swirley end (Smith and Foley from around 45) and then Foley slotted one. Only down by a few points until a couple of "learning experiences" from younger players. One was Brayshaw high kick across field into the breeze where it held up and was intercepted leading to a goal, and Brander after selling the candy didn't quite get rid of it quick enough. Still had momentum but after a great break out of the middle by Grey and kick to the leading forward 30 m out, turned out Subi player was the only one leading.

As others have said Brander looked outstanding with two of the best goals in difficult conditions, Venables seemed to have many clangers, Cameron is young but all class and does the hard work tackling as well. I liked Watson but think it was difficult for him with his sister's recent death. Fisher was the most accurate kicker on the ground and wonder what would have happened if he was put FF in the last quarter. Brooksby bossed it in the taps but think the clearances would have been fairly even. Tough game and mostly all played well especially McInnes, Grey and MAllen.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Just my opinion with a few thoughts about the game. Difficult windy conditions mainly blowing across ground west to east but road end was a lot harder to kick goals at. Missing five in the first quarter (0.5 to 2.1) at the good end might have come back to bite them with the end result, maybe not.

Second quarter we added 1.3 with the only goal in the half at the worst end a beauty set shot from Cameron. Kept Subi to 2.5 in this quarter by playing chaos ball that Ross the Toss would be proud of, although most Subi misses coming from undisciplined shots blazing away from further out. Often we had 18 back in defence and most in the forward 50 arc, there was many minutes where the ball didn't move with multiple tackles, smothers and ball ups. If Venables got any tackles I'd think it was in this type of play.

Had the best 3rd quarter kicking 4 goals straight to 1.2 with the two speckkies from Brander one a set shot from around 60 and the other from 50 from the other side of the field showing it wasn't a fluke. A fast break goal from Hug and one from McInnes. Scores were even at 3/4 time.

In the last, kept it a tight contest for almost all the the quarter but a couple of easy looking set shots were missed at the swirley end (Smith and Foley from around 45) and then Foley slotted one. Only down by a few points until a couple of "learning experiences" from younger players. One was Brayshaw high kick across field into the breeze where it held up and was intercepted leading to a goal, and Brander after selling the candy didn't quite get rid of it quick enough. Still had momentum but after a great break out of the middle by Grey and kick to the leading forward 30 m out, turned out Subi player was the only one leading.

As others have said Brander looked outstanding with two of the best goals in difficult conditions, Venables seemed to have many clangers, Cameron is young but all class and does the hard work tackling as well. I liked Watson but think it was difficult for him with his sister's recent death. Fisher was the most accurate kicker on the ground and wonder what would have happened if he was put FF in the last quarter. Brooksby bossed it in the taps but think the clearances would have been fairly even. Tough game and mostly all played well especially McInnes, Grey and MAllen.

Thanks for the write up, appreciate it.

Was Brander playing forward or higher up the ground? Seems impressive that he topped the team in both possessions and goals.

Similarly were Venables and Brayshaw kept amongst the forwards or just unable to accumulate through the midfield?

surfstitch

Senior List
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks for the write up, appreciate it.

Was Brander playing forward or higher up the ground? Seems impressive that he topped the team in both possessions and goals.

Similarly were Venables and Brayshaw kept amongst the forwards or just unable to accumulate through the midfield?
Brander on a wing mostly, both goals from outside 50. Brayshaw in the middle mostly I think and Venables in defence. Smith had a doppleganger in Hug so he or they played well. Besides Venables being diabolical I think all played well and the loss came mostly because Subi were more experienced in the crunch and had the better goal kicking end for the last quarter.

Frankie Watson was pretty off. Not sure he hit anyone wearing blue and gold with the footy all day. Some good 1 on 1 defending deep to spoil the ball through a few times was his highlight.

Had to chuckle when Nelson gave Brander some advice when Brander got caught htb. Nelson had murdered the football all day and Brander was BOG.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Waterman , rotham not selected . Schofield played .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Schofield didnt play Wafl this week . I was posting about the Wafl side having players out due to being emergencies . Considering those outs it seems a fair showing . This Fisher bloke from Kingsley is a good find from amateurs , certainly can play a good Wafl standard .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back