2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worrying - Ainsworth, O'Neil and Foley

Meant to be our future midfield..

We need some A grade midfield talent.

The talls are there but really need to focus on getting higher in the draft or trading in some young guns.

So was simmo wrong to not rush the kids in?
Not necessarily kids but definitely some bigger bodies. Allen, Rotham and Ah Chee need to be considered for next week if we don’t win today by 30+.. Archie for DV, Rotham for Schoey, Allen for Allen/Masten (Sheed to wing if Masten).

What's the go with Foley? IIRC he was seen as a possible play straight away type and Freo were looking at him too. His stats seem underwhelming every week

Perth accounts for Claremont to remain undefeated. I can’t see this run ending anytime soon.

Seems strange to say but Perth, Souths and subi are a class above the rest of the comp

The beagles are a rung or two below with Claremont and peel going by results

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the go with Foley? IIRC he was seen as a possible play straight away type and Freo were looking at him too. His stats seem underwhelming every week

Does seem abit of a worry, I thought he would be one to shine at WAFL this year given he was an overage draftee. Least Ainsworth found the ball (clutching at straws).

From (roughly) best to worst...

Brendon Ah Chee: 32 disposals, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 4 i50s, 0.2
Easily our best on ground and most influential midfielder. Amazing mark in the second half.

Josh Rotham: 21 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 5 i50s
Solid all day, could have used the ball better though.

Keegan Brooksby: 15 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 37 HOs, 3 i50s, 0.1
Solid in the ruck; doesn't get off the ground much but is a fighter when it hits the ground. Missed an absolute soda.

Matt Allen: 16 disposals, 3 marks, 7 tackles, 6 i50s, 2.0
Tagged but contributed well and finished well with 2 goals. Would have learned a lot today.

Jarrod Brander: 16 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles, 4 i50s, 0.2
Got better late but not sure he's being well served by being thrown around the ground so much.

Jackson Nelson: 24 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 1 i50, 1.0
Solid, but some typical brainfarts and poor disposal throughout. Isn't AFL standard.

Fraser McInnes: 13 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 11 HOs, 3 i50s, 2.1
Never stops trying. Was a good choice as captain.

Bailey Williams: 8 disposals, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 5 HOs, 2 i50s, 2.1
Flashy. Liked how he presented well and made contests but makes some very questionable decisions as well. Raw.

Josh Smith: 14 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s, 2.1
Largely anonymous but finished well for 2 goals.

Brodie Riach: 14 disposals, 8 marks, 3 tackles
Looks good with the ball in the air. Not convinced by his smarts and disposal yet, but that is obviously developing.

Brayden Ainsworth: 22 disposals, 4 marks, 7 tackles, 5 i50s, 0.1
Don't rate anybody who disposes of the ball like this kid. Can't fault his endeavour.

Hamish Brayshaw: 16 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 3 i50s
Injured/benched in the last? Didn't impact the game at all anyway.

Harry Edwards: 11 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 i50
Tough day against some good forwards and a lazy midfield on transition. Learned a lot today.

Xavier O'Neill: 12 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 2 i50s
Shows tiny little snippets. Would be borderline Reserves atm, though.

Luke Foley: 10 disposals, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1 i50, 0.1
See: O'Neill.

Jordan McArdle at The West disagrees with you on Ainsworth.

"..Brayden Ainsworth (22, seven tackles, five inside-50s) continued his good form in the middle"

West Coast Reserves: Ah Chee, Nelson, Allen, Ainsworth, Rotham

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/f...mantle-trounce-eagles-reserves-ng-b881188359z

Jordan McArdle at The West disagrees with you on Ainsworth.

"..Brayden Ainsworth (22, seven tackles, five inside-50s) continued his good form in the middle"

West Coast Reserves: Ah Chee, Nelson, Allen, Ainsworth, Rotham

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/f...mantle-trounce-eagles-reserves-ng-b881188359z
Interesting. I don’t see him as becoming big enough to be dominant inside and his skills are nowhere near good enough to play outside/as part of our game plan.

One of the weirdest draft picks in recent memory and one that seemed to divide our recruiters on the night.

Williams does the spectacular well but is a bit lazy, like costing Allen goal of the day by not shepherding on the line. Hopefully he works on that part of his game.
While I agree with your player assessments, think you're being harsh on Williams here. He is raw, still 19 and for much of the day had two large defenders on him which he had to negotiate through. The shepherding is a learning experience and dropping a few marks that I've always seen him stick may have had more to do with the pressure from defence and sweat!

He took a mark just before half time but rushed his set shot preparation almost kicking around the body for a point. The Beagles were coming back at this stage about would have been around only 10 pts behind. Learning experience as well.

I'm surprised another forward wan't sent down to take a defender off him but maybe the play seems to be run by rigid guidelines of what the Eagles want the players to do. Not sure.

He looked very good when he was taking some of the centre hit outs, getting 5 accredited. In my opinion he's the closest to a JK replacement and will benefit from mentoring.

Always going to be hard with so many top up players in. It’s up to the young midfielders to win enough ball for the forwards because the backs aren’t that depleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with this as besides Grey they've only played 2 or 3 top ups, but had 7 top ups today. Since season started they haven't trained together, except for a Friday run if they're named as emergencies and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know the players names.

Many only playing first game or under 5 for WAFL.

Would be a good idea if the Eagles are having a few night sessions (if WC are considering training in conditions they play in) to get the top ups to top up training sessions with the main group.

Disagree with the moment on Brayshaw. I thought he was a big part of the second quarter resurgence with his pressure around the contest. Hit a few of them at pace too.
I agree with this. He gave a really quick hand pass horizontal with a few defenders hanging onto him from a centre bounce down to MAllen(?) running onto it who kicked straight to a leading forward.

He never shys from the tackles as well, Unfortunately was injured half way through 3rd with ice on the bottom of his foot, may not be good news?

Edwards seemed to be on him
He's only 18 and not 19 until October and is given the job on the key FF's. Mason Shaw had 7 years and 10 to 15 kg on him (and 6.0 goals). Eric McKenzie was out in the huddle and someone like him (or Schofield) showing him the ropes will help him. Brander may have been useful in the backs as well, but seems they've been told to play in positions and no flexibility.

Willie Rioli was there incognito, maybe checking up on the Tiwi boy playing for Souths and is really good with the B boys. Walked with big Ed after 3/4 time break back to his position giving him a pep talk.

Seems strange to say but Perth, Souths and subi are a class above the rest of the comp

The beagles are a rung or two below with Claremont and peel going by results
Certainly Souths were strong yesterday, don't think the team realised how close they came to beating Subi and Claremont was a hug win giving self belief and confidence they can outlast a very good team and come from behind for the win.

May be realising how important Brady Grey is as he gives the team a level of mental and physical toughness and finds the ball. Kicking accuracy and not just for goal was very poor and was one of the negatives against Ah Chee, although he wasn't alone.

MAllen had a tag on him and still managed 16 possessions and a goal and I wonder if it was AhChee or even Venners who had the same tag they'd be lucky to get half that. So still a MAllen fan and a big Brander fan.

Beagles had 58 inside 50s to 49 but most of those were just kicking bombing it in (another A team tactic?). Many kicks went over the marker's head everywhere on the ground then it was hard work to get possession back. One of the best for kicking accuracy is Fisher who I think has also topped the goal kicking for the last three years and he's been playing (very well mind you) in the backs.

Can't underestimate teams determination to knock the Beagles down and there are players with something to prove maybe who may have been overlooked in drafts for players who put in blinders of games. Hello Schloithe V Smith / Foley / even Brayshaw (or the Claremont mids last week) etc.

Also the Souths supporters didn't mind sinking the boot either and although umpiring can't be blamed for the loss it was appalling especially in first half and directly lead to a couple of their goals and robbed us of a couple. There was a blatant high tackle not just on shoulders slipping up in the third term that wasn't paid as well not far out from goal. After the obvious bias towards Beagles against Perth they seem to have gone directly the opposite way and can't understand why they don't just pay the free kicks that are there and be consistent no matter what colours the players are wearing!

Dion Munkara, the Tiwi Island player got a couple of great goals and very hard to defend. Even though he's 172cm and looks like a young boy is 27 years old.

He's only 18 and not 19 until October and is given the job on the key FF's. Mason Shaw had 7 years and 10 to 15 kg on him (and 6.0 goals). Eric McKenzie was out in the huddle and someone like him (or Schofield) showing him the ropes will help him. Brander may have been useful in the backs as well, but seems they've been told to play in positions and no flexibility.

Willie Rioli was there incognito, maybe checking up on the Tiwi boy playing for Souths and is really good with the B boys. Walked with big Ed after 3/4 time break back to his position giving him a pep talk.

Yeah I’ve been really impressed by Edwards. I wasn’t meaning to be critical of him. Despite Shaw kicking six goals I didn’t think he played badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back