2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
And that's my point, we're forgoing drafting the players who are going to be that future mature depth. We're plugging holes that we've created ourselves.
Or we're backing in the development process for those young players that we have drafted over the last few years, by supporting them with some more hardened bodies for a season...

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Or we're backing in the development process for those young players that we have drafted over the last few years, by supporting them with some more hardened bodies for a season...
Except we've been doing exactly the same thing for years. If it was a one off for a couple of years while we establish the WAFL side then fine, but we've been doing exactly the same thing for 8 or 9 years.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Except we've been doing exactly the same thing for years. If it was a one off for a couple of years while we establish the WAFL side then fine, but we've been doing exactly the same thing for 8 or 9 years.
We just won a flag, having a crack at another one and there are some promising young players on every line coming through for us. In addition, this year in particular was one where we required a couple of mature selections to shore up a brand new WAFL team to help those players, and possibly fill a role at top level if required. Taking a punt on a skinny rookie prospect doesn't work all the time, it's better to go through the national draft. Better talent scouting and junior development have made rookie steals a little rarer than they used to be.

Just a circular argument at this point, but I agree with you in the end that we will see some changes at the end of this season.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
We just won a flag, having a crack at another one and there are some promising young players on every line coming through for us. In addition, this year in particular was one where we required a couple of mature selections to shore up a brand new WAFL team to help those players, and possibly fill a role at top level if required. Taking a punt on a skinny rookie prospect doesn't work all the time, it's better to go through the national draft. Better talent scouting and junior development have made rookie steals a little rarer than they used to be.

Just a circular argument at this point, but I agree with you in the end that we will see some changes at the end of this season.
I've been complaining about the rookie list for years, it's just my thing. Don't have to pick a skinny rookie either, there's been some mature agers who I think we could have had a look at over the years.
With the bolded who are the promising midfielders coming through?

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been complaining about the rookie list for years, it's just my thing. Don't have to pick a skinny rookie either, there's been some mature agers who I think we could have had a look at over the years.
With the bolded who are the promising midfielders coming through?
Brayshaw, O'Neill, Ainsworth and Venables (haven't heard much about his injury but hope he returns OK) are players that I hold some hope for. They are all young and have good trajectories thus far. We're also likely targetting a couple young WA players in a trade (we've done pretty well in recent times with Yeo, Cripps et al.)

Who would you have taken in comparison to our selections, in the last handful of rookie drafts? This is with the benefit of hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back