2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine being a key defender on a day like today, when the ball is coming in with that pace and regularity, no pressure at all up ground. Hedwards more than held his own today just getting to contests, let alone getting a fist in like he did quite a few times.

Did he? Please don't tell me he was on the Swans bloke that took 12 marks and kicked 4.4.

Did he? Please don't tell me he was on the Swans bloke that took 12 marks and kicked 4.4.
m8 our defenders are trained to zone, lol

When the opposition transition the ball end to end with uncontested marks like SD did so often, the Beagles are lucky there weren't twice as many marks i50

A few moments where the commentary team pointed out that Hedwards left his man to spoil up-field. Wasn't beaten in any aerial contest, as far as I noticed. But hard day to be a defender in our system when the rest of the team is getting pantsed

Calls to fold the Beagles over a loss are a bit OTT - we aren't doing this to win WAFL Premierships (like Fremantle), we're doing it to have control over how our players are used. Trew wouldn't be getting as much midfield time in another WAFL side who have a bunch of 24-30 year old mids that they've spent cap space on. He'd be in the reserves or out of position. No WAFL club trying to actually win the flag is going to agree to play as many talls as we like to squeeze in, so some of them would end up in the reserves too. Jamieson, for instance. We have a WAFL side so that we can play who we want where we want without having the need to actually win override those calls.

Calls to fold the Beagles over a loss are a bit OTT - we aren't doing this to win WAFL Premierships (like Fremantle), we're doing it to have control over how our players are used. Trew wouldn't be getting as much midfield time in another WAFL side who have a bunch of 24-30 year old mids that they've spent cap space on. He'd be in the reserves or out of position. No WAFL club trying to actually win the flag is going to agree to play as many talls as we like to squeeze in, so some of them would end up in the reserves too. Jamieson, for instance. We have a WAFL side so that we can play who we want where we want without having the need to actually win override those calls.
True but I just wonder how many other AFL clubs have their draftees playing alongside ring-in amateurs, and what effect the lack of competitiveness is going to have on their development and morale for representing the club. Maybe it’s the same in the VFL/SANFL reserves clubs too. I guess things look worse at the moment because of injuries.

True but I just wonder how many other AFL clubs have their draftees playing alongside ring-in amateurs, and what effect the lack of competitiveness is going to have on their development and morale for representing the club. Maybe it’s the same in the VFL/SANFL reserves clubs too. I guess things look worse at the moment because of injuries.
Most of them. It was long said the success of Hawks and Cats were to do with their VFL club development. Richmond got in on the act too. Port and Adelaide have their own teams. The QLD and NSW clubs have always had either their own or alignment. Our previous practice of spreading our players amongst the WAFL clubs was out-dated and potentially incredibly limiting.

I'm a big fan of Williams and hope to seen him in the firsts sometime soon, but i was really impressed with Jameison today. Was the better ruckman today, made good decusions, good ground ball and follow up work. Doesnt have Williams or Vardys bulk yet, but i could see him overtake Williams one day

The truth is Jamieson is our next full time ruck. He is a true ruckman and is developing like one but is very physically undeveloped. Like 10kg's before debut and 15-20kg's before his peak. Williams is a second ruck / forward / key defender. Williams could be an absolute star player but as a ruck his best is going to be as a second ruck who can play large amounts of ground time covering multiple roles.

Most of them. It was long said the success of Hawks and Cats were to do with their VFL club development. Richmond got in on the act too. Port and Adelaide have their own teams. The QLD and NSW clubs have always had either their own or alignment. Our previous practice of spreading our players amongst the WAFL clubs was out-dated and potentially incredibly limiting.

Player development may conflict with winning games in the 2nd tier.

Yeah I knew they had their own sides but are they full of ammos or other players at the same VFL/SANFL level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I knew they had their own sides but are they full of ammos or other players at the same VFL/SANFL level?
I think the Crows suffer from the same problems as us. The new "VFL" is a lower quality comp, so I don't think they have issues playing lower grade players to fill in. Port and Freo probably have an advantage, as they play in established clubs in a higher quality, semi-pro league. The downside is they don't have complete control of those clubs, so may have to make compromises on player development in order to win games.

The Crows in the SANFL have a similar set up. They used to get flogged every week when they first started and have made 1 more finals appearance than us since 2014.

Hutch very honest here when he said the when was secondary to him. Also very insightful when he said that his injury "won't happen again with those over use injuries".

Swans have a very effective programme. Crazy to not have our own team in the WAFL.

The SANFL site used to be trash but it's come a long way. Reckon the WAFL sites been the same for a decade. Need a huge facelift. More in depth player stats would go down like a treat
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 10.27.59 PM.png

The truth is Jamieson is our next full time ruck. He is a true ruckman and is developing like one but is very physically undeveloped. Like 10kg's before debut and 15-20kg's before his peak. Williams is a second ruck / forward / key defender. Williams could be an absolute star player but as a ruck his best is going to be as a second ruck who can play large amounts of ground time covering multiple roles.
Interesting on the WAFL report this week they mentioned that he's already put on 10-15kg since arriving, and to quote H Brayshaw "I once saw him before training eat 14 bits of toast"
Still needs to put on more weight but is well on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back