2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwards is a big oversight there for me, was fantastic.

Trew and Ainsworth pretty generous, wouldn't have them in our 'Best'.

Brayshaw put a huge shift in but I thought his weaknesses by foot were on full display today.

Edwards is a big oversight there for me, was fantastic.

Trew and Ainsworth pretty generous, wouldn't have them in our 'Best'.

Brayshaw put a huge shift in but I thought his weaknesses by foot were on full display today.

Edwards much better in the second half than first. Disagree with you about Trew. Loved his game which included 10 tackles. He didn’t stop attacking the contest right up to the last siren. Ainsworth worked hard, linked up well, didn’t let his opponents get much of the ball, two excellent defensive spoils isolated one on one at full forward for Perth. Went to the bench after 10 minutes into the last and didn’t come back on. Not sure if he ran himself into the ground or rested. Maybe both. Let himself down with a centring ball after an excellent mark on the wing. Hammer also ran very hard, was dominant at times. You are right, his disposal by foot was a tad disappointing at times

Last edited:
Edwards much better in the second half than first. Disagree with you about Trew. Loved his game which included 10 tackles. He didn’t stop attacking the contest right up to the last siren. Ainsworth worked hard, linked up well, didn’t let his opponents get much of the ball, two excellent defensive spoils isolated one on one at full forward for Perth. Went to the bench after 10 minutes into the last and didn’t come back on. Not sure if he ran himself into the ground or rested. Maybe both. Let himself down with a centring ball after an excellent mark on the wing. Hammer also ran very hard but you are right, his disposal by foot was disappointing.
I think he was a late emergency for the Eagles 1st so was rested

Edwards much better in the second half than first. Disagree with you about Trew. Loved his game which included 10 tackles. He didn’t stop attacking the contest right up to the last siren. Ainsworth worked hard, linked up well, didn’t let his opponents get much of the ball, two excellent defensive spoils isolated one on one at full forward for Perth. Went to the bench after 10 minutes into the last and didn’t come back on. Not sure if he ran himself into the ground or rested. Maybe both. Let himself down with a centring ball after an excellent mark on the wing. Hammer also ran very hard but you are right, his disposal by foot was disappointing.
I think Trew was very good, I don't think he was in our Best is all.

Can't deny the similarities - both use their leg to make contact with the ball, both of them transfer kinetic energy from their leg to the ball, both of them have the ball in their hands before they kick it.
Pendlebury has a basketball background, Ainsworth has heard of basketball.

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me intruding on your board. Thought I'd give some thoughts on your players...

Xavier O'Neill: Best on ground for me. Was unstoppable in the middle, especially in the third quarter, and got you back in the game. Should never have been dropped from the league side and will be back in very soon. [31 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles, 4 i50s)

Harry Edwards:
I'd say he was your second best player today. Repelled attack after attack and was dominant in the air. Saved a few goals on the goal line through sheer desperation. Well done! [16 disposals, 9 marks, 4 tackles, 2 i50s)

Isiah Winder:
The cleanest player from both sides today. Executed disposals brilliantly and knows where to be to influence the play. Looks a bargain, and five goals was a brilliant return. [18 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 3 i50s, 5.0]

Luke Foley:
Best on ground in the first half, and was more than serviceable in the second. Was sound defensively, more than, and provided good run and disposal all day. The best game I've seen him play for you. His courage impressed me. [24 disposals, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 3 i50s]

Nathan Vardy:
I maintain that his goal tally today was inflated by the umpires, but his influence on the game can't be denied. He dominated in the ruck and looks dangerous in the air. Looked hungrier than he has in ages. [15 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 35 HOs, 4.1]

Ben Johnson:
Liked his game as well. Short, but very fast and nippy, and used the ball very well. Was surprised by how solid he was defensively as well. Could be a surprise packet this year. [15 disposals, 2 tackles, 2 i50s]

Zane Trew:
Looks a player. Drifted out of the game a little in the second half I thought but knows how to win the footy and seems a neat disposer as well. A lot to work with going forward. Huge tackle numbers. [24 disposals, 2 marks, 10 tackles, 4 i50s]

Alex Witherden:
Thought he was solid for most of the game, with a couple of miskicks from risky options, but I like how he tries to create play by foot. Shame he won't play again this season through suspension. One to watch in 2022. [21 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle, 1 i50]

Jake Waterman:
Dominant when he was out there. We all know he's too good for WAFL level, and it showed. [10 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 3 i50s, 2.1]

Luke Edwards:
Surprised by how big he looked out there, and he didn't disappoint. He did drift out of the game a little in the second half but I'm sure he'll be running out games better with more experience. A good performance. [14 disposals, 7 marks, 1 tackle, 4 i50s, 0.1]

Brayden Ainsworth:
Linked up well around the ground and was influential through the middle but his disposal really isn't good enough. Sorry for whoever sponsors him on here. [24 disposals, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 2 i50s]

Callum Jamieson:
Looked a long way off the mark for me. I'll say this though - he competed and halved a lot of contests. That says a lot about his attitude, which was impressive. [4 disposals, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 HO]

All in all, a great game and some very impressive performances from your boys. Good luck for the rest of the season!
Why wont witho play again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found it strange the Eagles played Brander as an inside mid in the WAFL.

Did they play him as an inside mid in the WAFL because that’s his intended position long term or just to train him to get used to physical contact?

Either way, he looked much more confident last night.
Inside mid is the fall back for our failed key position players (college, Allen) 😜

Starting to get a bit concerned by Witherden just quietly.

He accumulates well, does a lot of good things, but seems to have a habit of trying to bite off far more than can be chewed at regular intervals, resulting in turnovers in dangerous positions.

He just needs to add poise and smarts to his ability.

Get a bit fitter and hungry.

Im glad he hasnt walked intothe side ahead of others who have earned their chance. Plus they know our game plan and how each other play.

I found it strange the Eagles played Brander as an inside mid in the WAFL.

Did they play him as an inside mid in the WAFL because that’s his intended position long term or just to train him to get used to physical contact?

Either way, he looked much more confident last night.

I was pretty p!ssed watching last night but I noticed he looked different. Socks down, shirt out, looked roughed up and was definately more physical. Was prepared to get his hands dirty. :thumbsu:

And with this new more open style and our kicking game Brander could be a great tall mid.

I'm glad having WAFL Eagles back. Last year really halted the development of our young guys. Brander already showing what games under your belt can do. Just wish they do it to etch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back