AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Coast AFLW star midfielder Dana Hooker says the girls are tracking well this offseason with new senior coach Daniel Pratt implementing a more attacking style game plan for season 2021.

West Coast AFLW defender Chantella Perera is back in Perth and will commence training this week with the club while South Australian draftees Amber Ward and Lauren Gauci will join the club for preseason training in early December but will be required to quarantine due to ongoing safety measures.

After a little doubt surrounding international travel for the AFLW irish players for season 2021 the West Coast Irish trio Grace Kelly, Niamh Kelly & Aisling McCarthy will be on their way back to Perth in early December to join the Eagles for another exciting season in 2021.

Thanks Biggie thats was a good read.:thumbsu:

Although I did have a good laugh at Michelle Cowan's last line in the article.

' Mikayla Bowen she's just an elite runner ( That she is :whitecheck: ) ....... and elite ball user as well. ( lol You Got be kidding , she is a turnover machine. )"

Mikayla is young and hopefully she can sort the kicking bit out, because if she can then she will become one of the elite players in the competition, if she cant she will be, just a good player.

Thanks Biggie thats was a good read.:thumbsu:

Although I did have a good laugh at Michelle Cowan's last line in the article.

' Mikayla Bowen she's just an elite runner ( That she is :whitecheck: ) ....... and elite ball user as well. ( lol You Got be kidding , she is a turnover machine. )"

Mikayla is young and hopefully she can sort the kicking bit out, because if she can then she will become one of the elite players in the competition, if she cant she will be, just a good player.
That's a very odd and inaccurate comment from out new assistant coach. Concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's certainly an... aspirational... description of Bowen's kicking for sure, haha. Master of the floater that sailed over her teammate's head last season.

Maybe she wants to pump up her tyres a bit to increase her confidence in that side of the game. If it's true like Cowan says that confidence plays a big part in development within the AFLW.

Still, you gotta hope that they're more realistic when going over the vision together. Aspirational messaging only goes so far if it's not grounded in reality, in which case it can become detrimental to improvement.

It's certainly an... aspirational... description of Bowen's kicking for sure, haha. Master of the floater that sailed over her teammate's head last season.

Maybe she wants to pump up her tyres a bit to increase her confidence in that side of the game. If it's true like Cowan says that confidence plays a big part in development within the AFLW.

Still, you gotta hope that they're more realistic when going over the vision together. Aspirational messaging only goes so far if it's not grounded in reality, in which case it can become detrimental to improvement.
I dunno. Lots of people have elite disposal in training. Probably that's what Cowan's seeing. But you put them under pressure in a game and it disintegrates. Bowen looked like she was panicking every time she got the ball last season. If she learns to calm down, we might see a big skills improvement.

I can actually imagine her disposal at training might be great, and the coming out of a pack sideways and then kicking a floater across her body downfield to no one in particular is a peculiarly in game tactic.

Although, to be fair, it has improved. In juniors if she was facing downfield, she would turn side on so as to kick across her body.

It may have been a tactic as a kid trying to get as much distance as possible, which then became a habit.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can actually imagine her disposal at training might be great, and the coming out of a pack sideways and then kicking a floater across her body downfield to no one in particular is a peculiarly in game tactic.
I think you're right, a lot of our better mids were guilty of this too. Kicking efficiency was not our strength eh :/ getting free from congestion was hard, so kicks were usually under pressure.

Hardly any time to gel with a game plan yet, given how short the seasons are. So it'll be super interesting to see how far we're going to continue with the long kicking & marking gameplan this year, and if there's any tweaks. Should be lots of improvement from the squad here alone I hope!

I think you're right, a lot of our better mids were guilty of this too. Kicking efficiency was not our strength eh :/ getting free from congestion was hard, so kicks were usually under pressure.

Hardly any time to gel with a game plan yet, given how short the seasons are. So it'll be super interesting to see how far we're going to continue with the long kicking & marking gameplan this year, and if there's any tweaks. Should be lots of improvement from the squad here alone I hope!
There was an interesting discussion with GWS head coach.

He said they had been pushing +1 to the contest. It was resulting in possession, but not clean ball. They were hack kicking it forward, to the opposition's +1.

It seemed to be that tackling verse burst power favoured the tackler more in women's than in men's.

So a tackler getting a half a hold in women's was able to stick the tackle, where in men's the player would often burst free.

So a Dangerfield or Shuey breaking free into space for the lace out pass didn't happen as often, they had to kick from the tackle, or turn to avoid the tackle.

That said, for Bowen, she hack kicks when she doesn't need to, I think it's habit.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

• Fixture out tomorrow
  • Ticketed events +18
  • Single ladder
Excellent news all round - next step - play in Winter

TBC venue for Freo. Allowing for the possibility of Perth stadium if Covid goes well, or a smaller venue if it doesnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back