AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought likewise. Had a chuckle - I wouldn't think of him as they most skilled bloke going around, but I am happy with the appointment. I was surprised to know he has his coaching badge. Good on him - a good acquisition to the club.
Reality is, despite what people assume, you can be really good at something, but really suck at training others to do it, and vice versa.

Numbers appear to have been allocated, based off players’ social media

2 Kellie Gibson
8 Maddy Collier
10 Melissa Caulfield
12 Niamh Kelly
15 Grace Kelly
24 Hayley Bullas
26 Talia Radan
31 Emily McGuire

Some more from Twitter and Insta
4 Courtney Guard
9 Ashlee Atkins
20 Kate Bartlett
23 Tarnee Tester
35 Sophie McDonald

Nice to get three Kelly's to the Club all in one off season.

Makes the two first rounders and the two second that we forked out seem much more palatable .

I really thought that we massively over paid for Kelly........ but I feel better now knowing that we got three Kelly's to the Club not just one. ;)

Nice to get three Kelly's to the Club all in one off season.

Makes the two first rounders and the two second that we forked out seem much more palatable .

I really thought that we massively over paid for Kelly........ but I feel better now knowing that we got three Kelly's to the Club not just one. ;)

Damn just came to post something similar after watching the video of the 2 AFLW Kellys.

As we dont have any player write ups, or a player thread or forum, I will start some here.

First off the rank.

Brianna Green.

The basics:
Age 22/23
height 161 cm (2017, last I could find).
2013 U18 All Australian - named on the wing.
2015 East Fremantle Best and Fairest (seniors).
Freos second pick in the draft proper, after priority signings done.

Plays like:
Kiara Bowers.

Run down.
Small inside mid that can rack up huge tackle numbers, but still finds the ball. Doesnt have huge pace, but isnt slow, has good endurance. Has been injury prone over the last few years, broke a collarbone early in season 1, then had knee problems, so has only played a handful of AFLW games.

Likely role:
Could be a negating mid, her natural inclination to tackle aggressively, and her ability to find it going the other way could make her a handful in a run with role. Can get enough of the ball to be let lose as well. Primary responsibility in either case is likely to be, get possession of the ball, distribute quickly. We are likely to have very athletic, but inexperienced girls on the outside who will be at their best if getting fed the ball by players like Green.

Issues:
Is she athletic enough? Will she find enough of the ball at the higher level? Is she big enough to play the inside role, and stand up to the punishment?

Position:
Midfield, or Mid/Half back.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2019-11-07/underground-with-barminco-brianna-green

Kate Bartlett

The basics:
Height 173cm
Age 20
2016 U18 All Australian Forward pocket
2017 U18 All Australian
2018 U18 All Australian
2017 AFLW Academy

Taken pick 26 by Bulldogs 2018 draft.

Plays like:
Mark LeCras (I cannot come up with a female equivalent).

Run Down:
(This is a big positive, not a criticism) Goal hungry, goal hungry, goal hungry. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. Bartlett is about the player I am most excited to see in 2020, I think she either becomes a big bust, or a cult hero. I cannot think of anyone in the AFLW that plays like she does, or brings what she brings, the only question is, can she make it work in the AFLW where things happen faster, and there is more pressure.

I will add some links for info on her, and in one of them, she mentions she has played since she was 5, and it shows. She has 2 weapons, a natural footy brain, and skills by foot. Where other forwards in the AFLW get goals by being fast, or big, or through inside effort and grind, Kate out thinks her opponent with football smarts. When you watch her, you can see her constantly thinking, how do I get a goal here? She takes her player to the contest, then immediately squirts out the back. She runs to a marking contest in the goal square, then drops off at the last second, picks up the spilled ball, toes it through from the goal line. When everyone stops after a mark or a free, she suddenly runs around for the handoff, and slots the easy goal. Tricky, constantly thinking, skilled with ball in hand. Its notable that one report of her is, after everyone else is finished training, she stays back and takes shots at goal.

Likely role:
Forward line creator.

Issues:
Translating all that to the AFLW. She isnt really quick, or a big mark, and her constant push to seek goals means she isnt the best defensively when the ball is exiting the forward line. If her tricks do not work at AFLW level, she may not have a plan B. However, she has played since 5, and has been determined to make it in the AFLW since it was announced, she has done interviews that indicate she is aware of her deficiencies, and working hard to fix them.

Position:
Forward pocket, Half forward, even FF in a pinch.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-14/aflw-another-k-bartlett-eyes-bigleague-goals

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-07-11/aflw-u18-wa-claims-revenge-against-vic-metro

Numbers appear to have been allocated, based off players’ social media

2 Kellie Gibson
8 Maddy Collier
10 Melissa Caulfield
12 Niamh Kelly
15 Grace Kelly
24 Hayley Bullas
26 Talia Radan
31 Emily McGuire
Some more from Twitter and Insta
4 Courtney Guard
9 Ashlee Atkins
20 Kate Bartlett
23 Tarnee Tester
35 Sophie McDonald
6 Rosie Deegan
19 Imahra Cameron
21 Mhicca Carter

From Foxsports

WEST COAST

PLAYERS:
Ashlee Atkins, Kate Bartlett, Emily Bonser, Mikayla Bowen, Hayley Bullas, Imahra Cameron, Melissa Caulfield, Maddy Collier, Cassie Davidson, Beatrice Devlyn, McKenzie Dowrick, Kellie Gibson, Brianna Green, Courtney Guard (nee Stubbs), Ashton Hill, Dana Hooker, Alicia Janz, Parris Laurie, Sophie McDonald, Emily McGuire, Katherine Orme, Chantella Perera, Danika Pisconeri, Talia Radan, Belinda Smith, Emma Swanson, Tarnee Tester, Mhicca Carter (rookie), Grace Kelly (rookie), Niamh Kelly (rookie)

INACTIVE PLAYERS: Rosie Deegan (basketball)

COACH: Luke Dwyer

BIGGEST STRENGTH

Experienced stars- The Eagles snagged arguably Fremantle’s best player, a star Giant and an X-factor forward. Dana Hooker will be invaluable in the midfield, Emma Swanson can fill a role across the board while Kellie Gibson is likely to provide excitement in 2020, making for a formidable line-up.

BIGGEST WEAKNESS

Unpredictability- It’s probably the weakness for all expansion teams, but what might work in their favour is having a host of Dockers who have already played together. The travelling might wear some players down though, with many having to relocate to Western Australia.

RISING STAR

Mikayla Bowen- Bowen was one of the first players West Coast got its hands on and there’s a good reason why. She’s clean with ball in hand, knows how to hit a target and is coming off an All-Australian year while representing Western Australia.

MVP

Dana Hooker- Hooker won Fremantle’s inaugural best and fairest in 2017 and narrowly missed out on the top prize in the following year. She’s been as solid as ever for the Dockers and now with the opportunity to lead an inexperienced midfield, she should thrive.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...y/news-story/28eb7c8a0e6af3ce65e4a5fec0512c94

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually had a quick look last night, a few thoughts...

- Golly, Grace Kelly has some skills. She mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw her miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that Atkins split her time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingwoman role in 2020. She was her usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Guard in a forward role.
- Niamh Kelly is very fast - Gibson was in most of the drills with her and couldn't keep up.
- Swanson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFLW player.
- There was a big shiela who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma’s wife, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- McGuire was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- No sign of Janz, Dowrick or Caulfield. Couldn't tell you why.
- Gibson kicked on her right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Bonser looked a class above the other midfielders bar Bowen. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Hooker was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Smith. Doesn't bode well for her captaincy credentials, maybe she doesn't want the gig?
- Bowen looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2020.
- Laurie went up against Pisconeri in the ruck contests and I'd say that Laurie has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Orme looked as though she'd enjoyed the pre-Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled her aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Kate was sent to do instagram-updates for the rest of the session. Good news for Tester, I suppose.
- A lot of running work again, clearly a focus even in the heat.
- Bullas looked like she was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Green in particular seemed to be following her around.

Last edited:

- Golly, Grace Kelly has some skills. She mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw her miss a kick.
- What interested me the most was that Atkins split her time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingwoman role in 2020. She was her usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Guard in a forward role.
- Niamh Kelly is very fast - Gibson was in most of the drills with her and couldn't keep up.
- Swanson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFLW player.
- There was a big shiela who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma’s wife, but I'm sure I was wrong...
- McGuire was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
- Gibson kicked on her right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
- Bonser looked a class above the other midfielders bar Bowen. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Hooker was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Smith. Doesn't bode well for her captaincy credentials, maybe she doesn't want the gig?
- Laurie went up against Pisconeri in the ruck contests and I'd say that Laurie has the inside running at the moment.
- Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Orme looked as though she'd enjoyed the pre-Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled her aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Kate was sent to do instagram-updates for the rest of the session. Good news for Tester, I suppose.
- Bullas looked like she was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Green in particular seemed to be following her around.
Fantastic write up old mate. :shoutyoldman:

Last edited:

You are a bad man

Couple of comments

Dowrick appeared in the video above in the drills, so she was there at least part of the time. Jansz was sitting in at the meeting at the start, but didn't appear in any of the footage of drills, which suggests she is injured. Others may not be there due to work. I tried counting, looked a good few short of the full list, but couldn't tell you who is missing.

Pretty sure Gibson is a right footer.

I think Atkins and Bonser will have a huge role for us.

Couple of comments

Dowrick appeared in the video above in the drills, so she was there at least part of the time. Jansz was sitting in at the meeting at the start, but didn't appear in any of the footage of drills, which suggests she is injured. Others may not be there due to work. I tried counting, looked a good few short of the full list, but couldn't tell you who is missing.

Pretty sure Gibson is a right footer.

I think Atkins and Bonser will have a huge role for us.

CC has taken the same training report that several people post every year, and just gender swapped it, along with changing "Gee" to "Golly" as well as something about instagram updates.

In fact CC was the one who posted it on the West Coast Boardisms thread here:

To which the only acceptable response is:

How about we give this overused, unfunny joke a rest?
Its right up there with posting Gee on anything to do with Venables and putting in Jack Watts as a poll option as embarrassing crap just clogging up threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back