AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the AFLW finished, time to reflect on the West Coast Women. My highlights were :-

Emma Swanson and Dayna Hooker. Both showed that they have all that is needed and with a stronger team around them next year, great signs.

Parris Laurie in the ruck was a real win for me. Will want to see her as KPF with a chop out in the ruck and gaining AA selection underlined her quality.

The Kelly sisters were great recruits and once they get more familiar with the rules and nuances, they will be excellent.

Chantella Perera was a surprise package. Loved her skill set and can read the play.

Imahra Cameron is a real burst player and has some silky skills so one to watch. Need more of her in more games.

I get the love for Mikayla Bowen as she gets a load of the ball and has real pace but she makes really bad decisions and is the source of many turnovers. That said she is really young. If the development coaches can get the crap out of her game, then we have a possible ball magnet.

For me the one big downside was the coaching. I was really confused with the game plan (or lack there of). It would have been a lot esaier to have a simpler game plan and keep our structure. The lack of experience up front really showed.

Overall - a decent start and enough to see to like. I am reminding myself that this is a 3 year build.

The fact that Freo will feel hard done may be against us in that players might want to stay loyal thinking they were nearly there.

Well done to Parris Laurie - AA ruck
View attachment 845890

I saw her for Claremont more as a KPF so hoping we get Alicia Janz back as our ruck (although she is still a little undersized) and get Parris back to CHF as we really lacked a target up front in 2020

Parris has always been a ruck primarily, with small stunts forward to try and progress her development as a forward. She did some good things forward for Claremont last year, but is still learning her craft in that area. As a ruck she is very good. :)

Very surprised Emma Swanson didn’t make it into the AA squad of 40 alongside Hooker from WC. Thought they had equally good seasons, but Hooker already has the name more so than Swanson I guess when it comes to the accolades. Hope Hooker gets in - and I’m sure she will. Love watching her play, and being the best player in your team, she gets smashed relentlessly, but still gets back up and puts her head over the ball again and again. Great player! (Developed really well at another unnamed club I guess 😉😉😉). Still one of my favourites in the comp. But still surprised about Swanson.
PS we really missed Laurie in the ruck this year. Thought she was just average last year, but took her game to a new level this year. Good in her.

Clubs like Fremantle, Melbourne etc. have years head start on us. It would only be fair if generous draft concessions were given to us in the next few years,lke those given to us in the early years of the VFL/AFL when we were struggling to compete with the established power houses.

Very surprised Emma Swanson didn’t make it into the AA squad of 40 alongside Hooker from WC. Thought they had equally good seasons, but Hooker already has the name more so than Swanson I guess when it comes to the accolades. Hope Hooker gets in - and I’m sure she will. Love watching her play, and being the best player in your team, she gets smashed relentlessly, but still gets back up and puts her head over the ball again and again. Great player! (Developed really well at another unnamed club I guess 😉😉😉). Still one of my favourites in the comp. But still surprised about Swanson.
PS we really missed Laurie in the ruck this year. Thought she was just average last year, but took her game to a new level this year. Good in her.

I can’t agree with you on Laurie, I thought she was better last year, but because of her work around the ball, not the ruck taps themselves. Last year she was setting up plenty of forward sorties via her excellent use of the ball by hand from a stoppage (handball), where as this year she didn’t do that as much. She’s obviously in a different team this year, and her taps were a bit better, but I would have liked to have seen more of her ball use to put players in space this year. Having said that Swanson and Hooker dominated around the middle so that wasn’t our biggest issue during the year. Maybe next season we will get ourselves a reliable tall target.

Very disappointing to read today that the Mayo Manager has given the Kelly sisters an ultimatum to give up playing ALFW or else they won’t be included in the Mayo squad, effectively ending their careers with their Home Town Team.

Dead set *%^*#*^ twat.

Actually questioned the girls loyalty and the two seasons don’t even clash.

Going to be interesting to see what the sisters do.
I would hate to think that we have seen the last of them, as they are two of my favourite players.

Fingers crossed 🤞 that some sanity comes to the fore and that we do indeed see our Irish ☘️ Gals again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering they were both in our top 10 players for the year, it'd be a fair loss if they were to walk.

Says a a lot about the depth and quality of our squad, when 2 internationals potentially leaving would cripple the team.

Hoping for a real list cleanout, for both coaches and players.

Dana has posted a photo of herself on her instagram, of her in hospital, with her face all banked up. Seems she has come of a bike, and face planted. Looks superficial, maybe a broken nose by the look. But no details provided.

Dana has posted a photo of herself on her instagram, of her in hospital, with her face all banked up. Seems she has come of a bike, and face planted. Looks superficial, maybe a broken nose by the look. But no details provided.

Poor Dana, that's gonna be a whole lot of pain.

Dana earned a lot of my respect this year.

Always got talked up as being this gun and won several awards yet personally i never really thought she impacted games like top players do.

I still don't, to be honest. But she's an amazing accumulator of the footy, runs all day, goes in hard and gets crunched for such a small framed lady.

She's shown nothing but good leadership and has been a really good face for our AFLW side. All on top of being overlooked for captaincy too.

True professional. I hope we can add some quality young midfielders to our list to learn from her while she's here.

Dana earned a lot of my respect this year.

Always got talked up as being this gun and won several awards yet personally i never really thought she impacted games like top players do.

I still don't, to be honest. But she's an amazing accumulator of the footy, runs all day, goes in hard and gets crunched for such a small framed lady.

She's shown nothing but good leadership and has been a really good face for our AFLW side. All on top of being overlooked for captaincy too.

True professional. I hope we can add some quality young midfielders to our list to learn from her while she's here.
I think as an accumulator, her impact depends a lot on who is around her. I also think you are underestimating her actuaql impact, she is one of the highest scoring mids in the game for instance.

However, as an accumulator, her impact is magnified by the the players around her. Accumulators in poor teams run up stats but not much else, accumulators in good teams get their team going forward, and often start chains of play where others get the glory.

I think as an accumulator, her impact depends a lot on who is around her. I also think you are underestimating her actuaql impact, she is one of the highest scoring mids in the game for instance.

However, as an accumulator, her impact is magnified by the the players around her. Accumulators in poor teams run up stats but not much else, accumulators in good teams get their team going forward, and often start chains of play where others get the glory.

Nah, i mean if there was a loose ball, i wouldn't trust her to win it 1v1 ahead of Randall, Phillips, Bowers, Blackburn, Kearney, Prespakis, Paxman, Marinoff or Hatchard.

Bit like Gaff i guess. Is he a good player? Absolutely. One of the best in the comp? Probably not. Although unlike Gaff Dana has to go fetch the footy herself.

Either way i like what she's brought to the table. Kicked our inaugural goal. Hopefully we can get someone to help her and Swanny out. They need support.

I wouldn't mind us getting a 200 cm + college volleyball player to play in the ruck so maybe Parris Laurie can go forward but it should only happen if AFLW decides to pay players at least 30 - 35% of what men get considering how low the salary of professional women's volleyball actually is. I think I posted the possible women's volleyball players on my fantasy 22 thread.

Could we get them? I doubt it, why on earth would they come to the other side of the world to learn a new sport but personally I wish we did.

Nah, i mean if there was a loose ball, i wouldn't trust her to win it 1v1 ahead of Randall, Phillips, Bowers, Blackburn, Kearney, Prespakis, Paxman, Marinoff or Hatchard.

Bit like Gaff i guess. Is he a good player? Absolutely. One of the best in the comp? Probably not. Although unlike Gaff Dana has to go fetch the footy herself.

Either way i like what she's brought to the table. Kicked our inaugural goal. Hopefully we can get someone to help her and Swanny out. They need support.

We had another inside mid in Bonser who could have helped Dana and plays inside mid at every level except for with us, because our coaches decided she should play on a wing for some unknown reason.

Good bit from Imahra Cameron on Yokayi Footy e12 about 16:40 in, talking about her family: content warning for serious mental health issues discussed. She's a bloody ripper, tough on and off field.

She really stepped up for us from game 1 this year. Unfortunately she was so good they had to put her forward to make up for our lack of scoring power, which robbed our midfield of her dynamic input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back