AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good points, i can't pretend to know all the answers and just how appealing it would be for better players to join West Coast.

There's something about spending Pick 16 though, which seems well and truly overs for yet another player who's going to be developing and learning the game.

There's 14 teams in this league, and we chose to target a player from the ONLY team in the competition we beat, and the only team which was worse than us.

In giving us pick 16 the AFL made it a condition that we trade it for an established player, instantly reducing its value to us. If you have to get rid of an asset, and the potential buyers all know that, you’re not going to get the same value for it as you would if you could just hang onto it.

Then bear in mind that we had to find a player who was willing to relocate to WA, which basically limits us to (a) players originally from WA, (b) players who were desperate for more opportunity (and you probably wouldn’t spend a pick 16 on any of them), or (c) someone from Ireland. And we wouldn’t want to deal with Freo because, with the draft separated into state pools, giving them pick 16 hurts us much, much more than giving it to a Vic club who isn’t drafting the same players as us.

Cool. I joined this board mostly in the hope of coaxing more information on WA junior girls, since there's so little on the internet. I write a bit of AFLW on The Roar during the season, can get lots of info on the Vics, but very little on WA.
Keep an eye on Ebony Bilcich from Peel. Moved to Peel from the South West Football league this year. First 3 WAFLW games, got named in Peels best every game. Waiting until they are the streamed game. Just a natural talent, and not a skinny powder puff either (though not tall).

Keep an eye on Ebony Bilcich from Peel. Moved to Peel from the South West Football league this year. First 3 WAFLW games, got named in Peels best every game. Waiting until they are the streamed game. Just a natural talent, and not a skinny powder puff either (though not tall).
Yeah I've noticed she's doing well. Sadly they've chosen to stream another Swans game this weekend -- I mean I like watching the Swans, they've got lots of young talent, but so does Peel and we haven't seen them at all yet.

I’d be hoping for Em Bennet/Jacinta Valentini who are strong inside ball winning types that can also play half back if we are looking for local mid talent. If they want talls they need to put Gilmore on the main list so we can actually play her.

Eaglemaniac any idea how Em Bennet has been finding the footy for Claremont bud? How are her numbers? I’ve asked how’s she finding it after Rnd 1 and she’s said was good but not much more that that. Haven’t been able to catch her since

Jesus. O'Dea, AND Guerin to Carlton for pick 15.

O'Dea is one of the best, and most consistent midfielders in the competition.

An A grade player and some steak knives for pick 15, meanwhile we've just ontraded pick 16 for an irishwoman from the worst club, who has produced a fraction of what O'Dea has, and is still learning the game.

If this is all because we're in WA, that's real kick in the teeth.

Eaglemaniac any idea how Em Bennet has been finding the footy for Claremont bud? How are her numbers? I’ve asked how’s she finding it after Rnd 1 and she’s said was good but not much more that that. Haven’t been able to catch her since

I haven’t asked about her specifically after round 1, but she was arguably B.O.G along with Valentini in round 1. I can’t see her dropping off coz she’s pretty consistent. The AFLW players are now supposedly coming back into the league sides so we’ll have to see how she goes, but did young talent she’d be at the top at the moment.

You guys just got Tayla Bresland from us. KPF who's an inaugural member of our squad, and played 17 games for us before this year when she wasn't able to make it into the 21. Treat her well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not mean at all.

Her best was way past her.

I reckon she knew that, the writing was on the wall and that’s why she retired.
She was a shadow on herself last season.

As she said: It was time to use her law degree.

Congrats to Hooker who won the inaugural BnF, from Swanson who was runner up. Not the hardest podium to pick.

Cameron the best first-year player and Janz the best club person.

Little surprised to see Atkins that highly rated by the coaches, and thought that Perera might've got to the podium due to consistency. But no surprises that our on-ball unit is well represented up there.

A few of us said that we'd like to have two of Cameron to cover both the forward-line and bursts in the midfield. Can see how having someone like McCarthy helps here too, given how she has experience with both roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back