jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Anyone think we should be interested in a 187cm 20 year old.

Anyone think we should be interested in a 187cm 20 year old.

Have to take her if the chance is there

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
1597596976334.png

AlphaSheep

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Dreadful conditions, pretty ugly game. But of the juniors, I thought Bella Lewis's attack on the ball was great, not sure where she's been this season, but she's yet another of these 165-ish cm players in the mix. A fair bit more physical than the others, very strong for her size. And it's an awful game to be judging tall players, but Amy Franklin has the potential to be the clear No.1 pick next year, Ruby Schleicher had the better of her in the matchup overall, but Ruby's a good AFLW player while Amy's still a kid, and the margin between them wasn't that big. Now if I could just see a single game where her teammates can hit her up accurately, I'd be happy.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Dreadful conditions, pretty ugly game. But of the juniors, I thought Bella Lewis's attack on the ball was great, not sure where she's been this season, but she's yet another of these 165-ish cm players in the mix. A fair bit more physical than the others, very strong for her size. And it's an awful game to be judging tall players, but Amy Franklin has the potential to be the clear No.1 pick next year, Ruby Schleicher had the better of her in the matchup overall, but Ruby's a good AFLW player while Amy's still a kid, and the margin between them wasn't that big. Now if I could just see a single game where her teammates can hit her up accurately, I'd be happy.

Bella is always pretty hard at the footy, she just struggles a little at times hitting targets on the run, however she’s working hard on her game so I’m sure she will get it sorted. The question will be how she goes against a team of AFLW players instead of just the odd one or two. I think she’d be worth picking up for a year or two.

Nothing against her personally but I'm worried that re-signing Kate, when I thought she didn't really show anything last season, points towards a continuation of the flawed list management of the AFLW side. Jobs for the girls.

Already a bit nervous about history repeating in Year 2.

Provided we can recruit some size for either end I'm hoping we can win a few more games at least, as the midfield is solid.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing against her personally but I'm worried that re-signing Kate, when I thought she didn't really show anything last season, points towards a continuation of the flawed list management of the AFLW side. Jobs for the girls.

Provided we can recruit some size for either end I'm hoping we can win a few more games at least, as the midfield is solid.

Her first game was shaky, but she was one of the only players to hit a target as the season went on. She will get better the more comfortable she gets.

AlphaSheep

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Bella is always pretty hard at the footy, she just struggles a little at times hitting targets on the run, however she’s working hard on her game so I’m sure she will get it sorted. The question will be how she goes against a team of AFLW players instead of just the odd one or two. I think she’d be worth picking up for a year or two.
Problem is, Davison, Morrison, Lewis, both Hydes and probably Verrier too are physically so similar. Any of them could probably fill that quick small role at AFLW level, but teams won't want more than a few of those, and the Eagles already have Bowen, so many will miss out. I had a look at the Northern Knights (best junior team in Vic) on Youtube recently, about three quarters of that team are 170cm plus, some of them quite a lot plus but still playing through the middle or on a wing. In a few years the AFLW's going to get a whole lot taller, and small players will have to be exceptional to keep their spot.

AlphaSheep

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

I can't see any way we're not on the bottom of the ladder for the next few years. We'll improve a lot next year, but everyone else will improve even faster, I think. But if we're patient, and don't screw up the draft picks, we'll eventually end up with one of the most impressive young lineups in the country. Could take a while though.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I can't see any way we're not on the bottom of the ladder for the next few years. We'll improve a lot next year, but everyone else will improve even faster, I think. But if we're patient, and don't screw up the draft picks, we'll eventually end up with one of the most impressive young lineups in the country. Could take a while though.
Reality is, we cannot improve our list fast enough to challenge next year.

Realistically, you could put 10 names up for delisting, but you cannot replace that many.

Some of the youngsters will not impact straight away. Especially the talls.

As many have pointed out, most of the ready to go players are similar. So if we recruit talks, and I think we have to, I don't think they make us better until 2021/22.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hmmm. Tester picked up by a far better side after being delisted? Worrying.

CC not intending to bag Tester, what so ever, but at 27 she wont be around playing in three to four years time when we should be starting to climb up the ladder.
Would rather we concentrate on 23/24 year olds and younger that will better suit our time frame for upward trajectory.

Good luck to her, she will be doing well if she cracks a spot in their team.

List management can be ruthless, but you have to have a plan a stick to it.
When you are a shyte team and competition easy beats, tough calls are needed to progress and sometimes there are unfortunate casualties.

CC not intending to bag Tester, what so ever, but at 27 she wont be around playing in three to four years time when we should be starting to climb up the ladder.
Would rather we concentrate on 23/24 year olds and younger that will better suit our time frame for upward trajectory.

Good luck to her, she will be doing well if she cracks a spot in their team.

List management can be ruthless, but you have to have a plan a stick to it.
When you are a sh*te team and competition easy beats, tough calls are needed to progress and sometimes there are unfortunate casualties.
Would love your thoughts on the current retained players and new signings?

Would love your thoughts on the current retained players and new signings?

On the +.

Thrilled with McCarthy outstanding addition to the Club. Good age 24
Bresland I see that as a massive upgrade on Raden, a position of need .... injuries the only worry.

On the -.

Was disappointed initially to see Bonser retire , however after reading why I fully understand. but am still sorry to see her go.

Meh or neutral.

Pisconeri ... was not at all surprised she was a disappointment for me last season.

The others Tester, McGuire ( talent there but did not work hard enough ), Davidson and Bartlett not surprised we had a fair few list cloggers and some had to go.

Raden her best, was way long ago and I think she went out on her own terms as I doubt she would have been retained.

Always very hard to assess these moves being on the outside looking in.
But professionalism, and work commitments, ability to learn would also be a factor.

Bottom line the list was substandard, therefore in order for improvements to list some need to make way for the new players.

Harsh but true.

Retained signings I will reserve comment till I see who we draft, but quite a few lucky IMO to keep their spots.

Will be very interested to see who and what type of players, we draft.

Last edited:

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saw Davison play on the weekend and she looked the standout player on the field. Why didn’t West Coast or Freo draft her last year? Has she improved that much this year that she wasn’t worth a late pick last year?

AlphaSheep

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Saw Davison play on the weekend and she looked the standout player on the field. Why didn’t West Coast or Freo draft her last year? Has she improved that much this year that she wasn’t worth a late pick last year?
I think the answer may be 'stuffed up big time'. Particularly for the Eagles, who could have taken her instead of Orme with that last pick -- wouldn't have cost anything, Orme did nothing last year either, but Davison could have had a big upside down the track which Orme was never going to have. So you have to wonder where their head was at.

I think Freo also pantsed us with Emma O'Driscoll -- not as obvious at the time, Eagles could have taken her instead of Cameron, but they were focussed on building their midfield (understandably) and Cameron has been pretty good. But it won't surprise me if O'Driscoll is Freo's best defender in a few years, and she's exactly what we need right now.

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking at the draft order, it went
1. Roux (Fre)
2. Cameron (WC)
3. Strom (Fre)
4. McMahon(Fre)
5. McDonald (WC)
6. O’Driscoll (Fre)
7. Tester (WC)
8. Garstone (Fre)
9. Orme (WC)
10. Cuthbertson (Fre)
11. Webb (Fre)
12. Radan (WC)
13. Perera (WC)

Definitely looks like Davison should have been in there somewhere seeing she will apparently go top 2 this year.

AlphaSheep

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking at the draft order, it went
1. Roux (Fre)
2. Cameron (WC)
3. Strom (Fre)
4. McMahon(Fre)
5. McDonald (WC)
6. O’Driscoll (Fre)
7. Tester (WC)
8. Garstone (Fre)
9. Orme (WC)
10. Cuthbertson (Fre)
11. Webb (Fre)
12. Radan (WC)
13. Perera (WC)

Definitely looks like Davison should have been in there somewhere seeing she will apparently go top 2 this year.
Oops, I forgot Radan and Perrera came even after Orme. Same thing there -- all these picks are 'risky', but if one risky bet pays you $20 if it works, and the other pays you $100 (Davison or O’Driscoll), which do you take? Eagles took $20 buck wins all the way down. Which is why, if in doubt, always pick the kid.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t get the hate in here for Orme. As I mentioned before, her first game wasnt great but once she acclimatised she gave us pace off the half back coupled with decent skills, as she was one of the few who actually hit targets.
Maybe its just because she’s also the social media person for the club that people think she can’t also be a decent player, but I don’t get it. There were a lot bigger names that did sweet FA all year in our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back