Club Focus West Coast 2020 - Langdon, Withered, Edwards, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

What is the priority at West Coast this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Re-signing free agents

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Going to the draft

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast club focus
I imagine people will and you want to hang onto them given the age of some of your spine players. Obviously Allen would be unlikely to move but brander and Williams (in particular the latter given the lack of rucks in this draft) would have interest among club's. Obviously given Kennedy is 32 you might want to keep them though. Williams is the interesting one you probably want him for post nicnat but rucks can be easily got in trades so you could replace him that way later..if you want to trade back into the draft do you try and cash in on him now while he has currency?
Kennedy... perhaps, but, Williams, No, his currency is only rising. The AFL has only seen glimpses. I'm not sure there is an equivalence talent / pick swap available in this draft (without taking a gamble outside of the top 10). WC would lose their most promising ruck/ forward talent and would need an equivalent midfielder talent to replace. WC won't trade him. They would probably try and trade pick 33 a little higher with another player (if possible) and target someone with potential under exposed upside (lol).

WC trade period will be interesting from a strategic view. I've limited understanding on the mechanisms of the draft but last year we only drafted two youngsters,
Callum Jamieson pick 49
& Ben Johnson pick 58.
Maybe somebody can correct me, but I think you have to have a mandatory 3 selection in each draft so I'm assuming Francis Watson was a rookie elevation prior to the draft.
This year as it stands we have selections 33, 51 & Geelong's pick 52. Does Francis Watson stay on the main list with a ruptured ACL? With the uncertainty of this years draft crop I would be surprised if they use the later picks 51 or 52 for unseen potential on 2 year contracts. Unless they are comfortable with targets in mind. The list size announcement will play a big part as the club could bring in delisted players. I don't see any standout upgrades from our current list.
J Kennedy, S Hurn will probably get 1 year extensions. Both great leaders. The players that might have some value are Hutchings as a run with player & Vardy as a second or third tall. Ainsworth was used as a run with so they might persist with that option. It could be possible the Eagles trade to get slightly higher on this years draft. We brought in some small forwards to cover W Rioli's suspension, so I guess the question is does Reid, Jones, Treacy or even Ah Chee stay on the list? & which delisted player do they pursue? I would be very surprised if they trade next years first round draft pick.
The other tangible is the reduction in coaching staff. This will affect The West Australian teams more, because we don't attract the same talent listed/delisted as Melbourne clubs. WC have had to spend more time growing & developing players. That's 3 years of coaching with risk.
Would WC be better now to spend all picks to get higher (first round) (this is what clubs try anyway) or just extending delisted established players instead of lower picks.

Last edited:

How so? We'll probably try to improve our draft hand with pick swaps and that'll be about it. Sounds pretty dull to me.
Yes I agree we will try and get pick 33 higher, but the question is should we be placing 3 players, probably out side the top 30 on two year contracts? Especially, as the reduction in the soft cap will result in a reduction of coaching staff, thus limiting development upside. A pick under 30 yes, but we've already got a few lower picked listed midfielders with undetermined upside. How many developing midfielders should we have?

Yes I agree we will try and get pick 33 higher, but the question is should we be placing 3 players, probably out side the top 30 on two year contracts? Especially, as the reduction in the soft cap will result in a reduction of coaching staff, thus limiting development upside. A pick under 30 yes, but we've already got a few lower picked listed midfielders with undetermined upside. How many developing midfielders should we have?
That depends on the final list size and possible retirements/exits.

Either way, there's unlikely to be much action during the trade period.

Maybe somebody can correct me, but I think you have to have a mandatory 3 selection in each draft so I'm assuming Francis Watson was a rookie elevation prior to the draft.

I'm not 100% but I was under the impression the rules now were just 3 list changes per year.

The other year Geelong added Selwood (FA), Dangerfield (trade), Smith (trade) and Henderson (trade). They ended up using 4 national draft picks and 3 rookie draft picks but if you add 4 or more players via trade/FA it seems harsh to then have to add 3 more just to tick a box.

I'm not 100% but I was under the impression the rules now were just 3 list changes per year.

The other year Geelong added Selwood (FA), Dangerfield (trade), Smith (trade) and Henderson (trade). They ended up using 4 national draft picks and 3 rookie draft picks but if you add 4 or more players via trade/FA it seems harsh to then have to add 3 more just to tick a box.

You have to have 3 national draft picks but a rookie elevation can count as 1 of the 3 (So you only need 2 picks) as st Kilda did last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see if the budgies shake things up a bit or stay committed to the group. think brander might get thrown up

Be interesting to see if the budgies shake things up a bit or stay committed to the group. think brander might get thrown up
There will be quite a few cut but I doubt we'll do much trading. I think Brander is still pretty highly rated but we'd get not much for him in a trade. Our problem is we have talent in positions already covered in the best 22. For example, Brander and Rotham I'd say are good enough to be playing regular senior footy. Rotham has shown enough whereas Brander is talented enough that you probably have to pick and stick for at least half a season. But we have some more accomplished talls so they miss out. They're probably vying for the same position frankly. Meanwhile we get stuck playing Nelson and Petruccelle. Ah Chee also disappointing. Ainsworth is young so I can forgive him.

Baffling that they were all preferred to Jetta and Schofield.

Our top-end talent is good enough but the last 4 or 5 picked are average AF. At least, they are when you pick the wrong ones.

Rioli and Venables basically finished, which sucks.

Last edited:
I think we have lost our chance to get real value for Brander until/unless he comes good. What is the going rate for a 195cm squib who is ridiculously clean below his knees for his size but has no set position yet?

Back