fomoco04

1992, 1994, 2006, 2018
Jun 18, 2007
West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Deportivo, Man U
According to the West online this morning.

The 2013 WAFL season is likely to extend to 27 weeks and include three separate competitions as part of a deal to avoid AFL reserves teams being introduced to the State league.
The nine WAFL presidents have endorsed a proposal for all clubs to give up their AFL-listed players and to play regular matches against West Coast and Fremantle teams. But the Eagles and Dockers would not enter the WAFL premiership competition and instead would take part in a separate cup competition that would compete for a significant cash prize.
A detailed proposal will be submitted to the WA Football Commission and the AFL clubs next month after the concept has been digested by WAFL chief CEOs and boards.

Full Story

Good news for us - for development that is and us fans we can just watch 1 game
I wonder if the WAFL will put up competitive teams on the bye if their not incontention for the cash????

Sounds exactly the same as the previous proposal except they don't play for WAFL premiership points. Big deal. Bring it on I say.

I think this sounds like a great idea. It gives the WAFL more integrity and gives us better control over our players. The only issue now will be how do we fill the other 20 or so spots needed?

I guess we'll have to get a "practice squad" together like they do with the NFL. And what happens to a side like Freo now that can't even field an AFL team??

I think this sounds like a great idea. It gives the WAFL more integrity and gives us better control over our players. The only issue now will be how do we fill the other 20 or so spots needed?

I guess we'll have to get a "practice squad" together like they do with the NFL. And what happens to a side like Freo now that can't even field an AFL team??
Will be interesting. Maybe they'll make an agreement with some Amateur clubs....

I wonder if the WAFL being pulled off TV influenced this decision, or if this decision influenced the ABC to take the WAFL off TV?

Either way, it must be good for West Coast and Freo if they wanted it so bad. Not sure how good it'll be for the WAFL unless they put the money to good use.

This will weaken the strength of the WAFL competition.
yeah i think the strength of wafl is mythical and overrated. but what strength is has will be lowered due to exodus of afl players. so they are proposing to weaken themselves....because thats better than weakening themselves in another manner.

either way, players still need to play for something. otherwise its turning up for a slightly elevated training session. not sure that is much more helpful. i can see wafl teams resting their players as much as they can when these encounters happen. and then wafl collects all the dosh.

perhaps eagles and dockers should create their own comp and then invite wafl teams or any teams to play in it. probably more money = more salary = better players=stronger competition=wafl dying. might take 5-10 years till it overtakes wafl. not sure wafc can block them from doing this. it will be a shitfight.

yeah i think the strength of wafl is mythical and overrated. but what strength is has will be lowered due to exodus of afl players. so they are proposing to weaken themselves....because thats better than weakening themselves in another manner.

either way, players still need to play for something. otherwise its turning up for a slightly elevated training session. not sure that is much more helpful. i can see wafl teams resting their players as much as they can when these encounters happen. and then wafl collects all the dosh.

perhaps eagles and dockers should create their own comp and then invite wafl teams or any teams to play in it. probably more money = more salary = better players=stronger competition=wafl dying. might take 5-10 years till it overtakes wafl. not sure wafc can block them from doing this. it will be a shitfight.

Why do we need to do that? I am sure the teams will take it relatively seriously as there is money on the line for the club and the players. And as they are in the WAFL, they both need that.

either way, players still need to play for something. otherwise its turning up for a slightly elevated training session. not sure that is much more helpful. i can see wafl teams resting their players as much as they can when these encounters happen. and then wafl collects all the dosh

I assumed it a case of, which team finishes highest on the ladder in this side competition gets the cash. So there would be incentive for teams to go all out against Freo and West Coast as more wins/better percentage = more money.

I suppose it would be smart to give all clubs some dollars but less the lower down you finish.

Also, I can imagine a lot of WAFL players being pretty excited to play against AFL listed players. Kill against the AFL reserves sides and your chances of getting drafted would be done no harm at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back