West Coast sets new AFL/VFL record & 80K members

Remove this Banner Ad

Hehehe, nice catch. My sister-in-law's father goes marlin fishing here outside the bay, gets the odd tuna and snapper as well, I never go out on the boat, have developed a bit of a phobia... not sure why. When I was younger I enjoyed going fishing with my uncle who was a fisherman. I really don't feel comfortable out on deep water anymore, even on huge ships. Hard to explain.

I can understand people wanting the outdoor life, I am a bit of a recluse as far as Melbournians go, I like the idea of living life in the wilderness, however, I have grown accustom to the conveniences of city life, like good internet.

I think we are more at peace when we live with a greater connection with nature, cities are really an abomination, if we ever have global EMP event, they estimate 90% of people in the cities will die in the first year due to starvation, it isn't a natural thing we have constructed.

I think we are already observing the dawn of the behavioural sink that professor John Calhoun predicted with his experimentation on mice and rats, given limitless resources but finite space, the colonies would never reach an equilibrium where they remained content, they would reach a behavioural sink where their roles as males and females would unravel, the males would lose interest in females and their colony would spiral into societal chaos before imploding, eventually dying out completely.

I think in part, Europe's obsession with migration from cultures that still exhibit the normal reproductive cycle is a means of warding off society's increasing lethargy. If it was not for migration, our own population would be decreasing and we are already experiencing a huge shift to an aged population. Perhaps we are trying to prevent something which is a natural conclusion to all life which has reached the pinnacle of it's potential as a society.

I think we have lost sight of what it is that makes us human and the importance of the human condition. I think that interaction with nature is something that is essential for us, we need to be a part of it otherwise we will destroy it.
Yeah i agree with pretty much all of this

Including good internet!!!!

We are on 100/40 fttp :) - great internet - for posting up fishing brags

Great crowds, but it does beg the question why did they only build a 60K stadium?

This 'easily upgradeable to 70k within the current structure' is total bs. Show me how you can easily add 10k seats. Has anyone seen the engineering details of how they plan to do this, and I mean the actual details not some artists impression? 10k is about 10 extra rows of seats the whole way around the stadium, 20 extra rows if you just use the 2 wings. Building a 70k stadium from scratch would have cost bugger all extra. Perth is also projected to have one of the fastest growing populations in Australia in the next couple of decades, overtaking Brisbane as the 3rd largest city.

Assuming respective growth rates of 1.85% and 1.3% respectively Perth will overtake Brisbane in around 2070, so no not really. The other thing to bare in mind is that the population of Greater Perth is not even 10% of Perth itself, wheres with Greater Brisbane it's nearly 50%

There's a lot a Freo supporters out there who jumped ship from the Eagles last time the 'new team' started. How many of them will join the 'new team' again. Fremantle has more to loose than the Eagles if there were to be a third WA team.
Early days, there were people supporting Eagles reluctantly. Their intro and the effect it had on the WAFL upset a lot of people. Also, lots of mad East and South Freo supporters, and Freo has a separate identity to Perth unlike any other Perth metro region.

It's a set of circumstances that is not going to repeat, and a third WA club will struggle wherever they put it.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

They have 17 games in Melbourne to choose from, they will naturally be a bit more picky with which ones they attend.
Also many Viccos still have the traditional Vicco rivalries ingrained and aren't as interested in watching Johnnie come latelies.
Does membership get you good away games? Because if not, 6 of those 17 games are 'extra' games. The majority of the crowd at an Eagles game are members attending one of the home games their membership gets them.

If Richmond members attended their alloted home games, crowds would be much larger against interstate teams.

If the Eagles had an extra, large away game held in Perth, do you think a lot of members would drop one of the home games? Or would they attend the 11, and the extra game?

Whatever way you spin it, a LOT of Richmond members are not attending some games.

Theres also 5x the amount of teams that there are in Perth.

Exactly. Which means you have 9 other teams who are already in the local area and can easily attend games when their team is playing away. Eagles don't have that. Only one other team in the comp has supporters close enough to make the trip by train, which means more most of that packed stadium is Eagles fans. How many are Richmond at your games?

Last edited:
Assuming respective growth rates of 1.85% and 1.3% respectively Perth will overtake Brisbane in around 2070, so no not really. The other thing to bare in mind is that the population of Greater Perth is not even 10% of Perth itself, wheres with Greater Brisbane it's nearly 50%
I was referring to total metro areas, the whole place. Government has Perth overtaking Brisbane within 30 years.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...n-30-years-new-report-warns-ng-b88754389z.amp
IMO very shortsighted only building 60k.

Does membership get you good away games? Because if not, 6 of those 17 games are 'extra' games. The majority of the crowd at an Eagles game are members attending one of the home games their membership gets them.

If Richmond members attended their alloted home games, crowds would be much larger against interstate teams.

If the Eagles had an extra, large away game held in Perth, do you think a lot of members would drop one of the home games? Or would they attend the 11, and the extra game?

Whatever way you spin it, a LOT of Richmond members are not attending some games.

I'm not spinning anything. Just explaining there are a lot more games on in Melbourne so people can be a bit more picky, especially if there's crap weather or they have other stuff on. No big deal if you miss a few games, there are plenty more to come. Tigers have 17 games, many people get into them all for free, I'll probably go Thursday night, my AFL membership gets me in for nothing. They also have 3 or 4 other games on in Melbourne each week, many people go to neutral games with friends. With 90k members of course there are lots that aren't going to every game, so what, we have truck loads that don't go to our games too, not sure why people give a toss and get worked up about it.

Even in a thread celebrating the Eagles massive achievement still can't let go of the fact that the AFL is merely an extension of the VFL and as such when talking about historic records, yes it is the VFL/AFL.
It's still the VFL. We just play in your comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well according to the mail, West Coast have achieved a VFL (lol, remember that suburban game) / AFL record of seven consecutive home games with an attendance of over 50,000 at each game. Looks like our reign as the most profitable club in the land shall continue for a long time...

Oh, and did I mention we've hit 80,000* members also?

*May or may not include seated members...

** Edit - 80k members, apparently I can't read.

Margetts likes this.

Richmond’s lead have inspired many clubs.

Yes it would be enough IMO, see my previous post on this though. Would have cost bugger all extra to do 70k upfront. This whole easy to upgrade to 70k later is rubbish.
Not really, it costs more and adds more jobs to do an upgrade later than do it properly once. Hence why the govt would prefer that option in the future. By costing more in the future their construction mates get more money, and the jobs added are available at any opportunity if the government needs a labour boost.

There is also a negative associated with a mostly empty stadium, allowing an upgrade later overcomes it even if some games in the meantime would exceed capacity.

Exactly. Which means you have 9 other teams who are already in the local area and can easily attend games when their team is playing away. Eagles don't have that. Only one other team in the comp has supporters close enough to make the trip by train, which means more most of that packed stadium is Eagles fans. How many are Richmond at your games?
Ill just get right on that. Next game I go to Ill ask each person at the game who they support.

97k members v 80k. That says it all bud. Sorry.

Great crowds, but it does beg the question why did they only build a 60K stadium?.
They want to keep the waiting list and keep pressure on the members to pay up each year.

Financially it makes sense, and this thread shows that it's worked a treat. Pretty disgraceful from the viewpoint of engaging new residents / supporters and growing the game, but the WAFC are a pretty nakedly commercial bunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back