West Coast sets new AFL/VFL record & 80K members

Remove this Banner Ad

The Eagles resisted pumping up their numbers by using 3 & 5 game seated memberships, that's why so many In The Wings members (aka the waiting list) are still waiting.

The home of the 3 game members was the Tiges, that's why they don't publish the dollars …

Good to see those clubs that have their act together going well & they include both the Tiges & the Eagles - interesting to see Trevor Nisbett noting the Eagles churn rate is still as good as there is across all clubs:
“Historically our members have been the most loyal in the competition with the annual turnover, or churn rate of members, the lowest in the AFL.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-06-25/eagles-achieve-new-membership-record

Ah 3 and 5 game members are definitely included in that 80k total.

Wow they have "historically" been the most loyal in the comp. I bet the MCC members has a waaaaay lower one. Almost like when you have a wait list people are less likely to leave even if they know they wont use it that year.
In the "A year with Richmond" book it was mentioned Richmond has the best turn up rate for members attending games.

Mate if you have 17k 3 game members at $11.88 per month

You arent getting within cooey of :

Yeh because you dont have 3 game memberships or anything. Im sure all your 80k members all have bought reserved seats for your 50k seat stadium.
Do you normally go early to make sure you dont have to be the one to sit on the other persons lap??

lol.jpg

hahaha.jpg
But yeh all Richmond members are the cheapest 3 game members while West Coast is the only club with expensive memberships which everyone only buys.
Oh wait

lmao.jpg

aa.jpg

This ones limited availability and sold out.
llll.jpg

All clubs have cheaper memberships and more expensive ones, bud.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 103
Yeh because you dont have 3 game memberships or anything. Im sure all your 80k members all have bought reserved seats for your 50k seat stadium.
Do you normally go early to make sure you dont have to be the one to sit on the other persons lap??

View attachment 518577

View attachment 518583
But yeh all Richmond members are the cheapest 3 game members while West Coast is the only club with expensive memberships which everyone only buys.
Oh wait

View attachment 518578

View attachment 518580

This ones limited availability and sold out.
View attachment 518579

All clubs have cheaper memberships and more expensive ones, bud.

Yeah not even close - those kiddie memberships dont get you into games and arent counted - like in the wings membership as a seated member.

I can't speak for WCE supporters, but I think just being in the conversation about being the biggest Australian club is exciting. Not sure why people wouldn't like this, should be encouraging supporters from all teams to go watch their team play. Especially Hawthorn who have pretty average crowds.

By the time my grandchildren are in the elderly years, I predict West Coast to be the greatest club with most premierships as well as best premiership strike rate. Perth will have 5 million people, and the next new stadium will hold 110 000. The Grand Final will be rotating which will have only added to the Eagles silverware
6 Grand Finals already for 3 flags coming from a continent away.. a truly remarkable and classic club

Search your feelings, you know that The Eagles will be analogous to the LA Lakers or Real Madrid

By the time my grandchildren are in the elderly years, I predict West Coast to be the greatest club with most premierships as well as best premiership strike rate. Perth will have 5 million people, and the next new stadium will hold 110 000. The Grand Final will be rotating which will have only added to the Eagles silverware
6 Grand Finals already for 3 flags coming from a continent away.. a truly remarkable and classic club

Search your feelings, you know that The Eagles will be analogous to the LA Lakers or Real Madrid
This about as likely to happen as Miranda Kerr walking into my loungeroom and handing me a beer

Last edited:
I did read them. but they seem completely and utterly pointless when different clubs include different things.
And yeh not showing the figures proofs nothing. Gonna have to come back with some actual evidence.

Add the bottom line? Of course not releasing the numbers is convenient but IMHO 1 + 1 still equals two.

Profit/loss
  • West Coast - $12,804,032
  • St Kilda - $5,267,414
  • Essendon - $5,054,186
  • Hawthorn - $4,933,128
  • Richmond - $3,063,298
  • Fremantle - $2,489,714
  • Melbourne - $1,363,060
  • Western Bulldogs - $1,643,050
  • Carlton - $667,803
  • Adelaide - $648,715
  • North Melbourne - $242,656
  • Sydney - $105,186
  • Gold Coast - $19,219
  • Geelong - ($339,849)
  • GWS - ($522,896)
  • Brisbane - ($2,261,990)
  • Collingwood - ($2,732,624)
Includes approx $1m from gaming @ Tigertown.
Eagles after $2m + pumped into local footy (WAFC).
The money comes from somewhere?

Ah 3 and 5 game members are definitely included in that 80k total.

Wow they have "historically" been the most loyal in the comp. I bet the MCC members has a waaaaay lower one. Almost like when you have a wait list people are less likely to leave even if they know they wont use it that year.
In the "A year with Richmond" book it was mentioned Richmond has the best turn up rate for members attending games.

The difference between the Eagles & most other clubs is the 3 & 5 seat members are seated outside the 50k seating allocated to the club, in the 10k seating allocated for others.
The club continues to battle to get members who know they wont be attending a game to offer their seat for resale, same problem the Cats face.

The churn factor challenges most clubs, thats why its rarely mentioned but you're clearly across that eh 22. Its integral to the Eagles business model.

Got it, here is a link, http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Richmond/Images/Concise Financial Report 2017.pdf

Richmond are the only club not to publish the dollar value of memberships for a reason.

You are aware that the other 17 club's all aren't releasing clean figures either?

Some include corporate, some the gate, etc

It's the same issue with merchandise.

Comparison isn't possible when each club defines revenue buckets like membership and merch differently

As for RFC they have never claimed to be a high revenue per member club (in fact they have made statements in the reverse perviously). The clubs priorities were openly converting cash attendees to members, and reducing churn (something tough after 30+ years of failure). You don't generate high revenues with those two priorities.

Fwiw I'd like a separate membership revenue number, and have asked this question of our prez, but it's not some grand conspiracy. They have essentially divided their reporting into two buckets, consumer (memberships, gate, merch) and corporate (boxes, sponsors, fundraising). This was done based upon how the club has structured the management of these some years ago.

The difference between the Eagles & most other clubs is the 3 & 5 seat members are seated outside the 50k seating allocated to the club, in the 10k seating allocated for others.
The club continues to battle to get members who know they wont be attending a game to offer their seat for resale, same problem the Cats face.

The churn factor challenges most clubs, thats why its rarely mentioned but you're clearly across that eh 22. Its integral to the Eagles business model.
I set my dad up with the app so he can sell if required.

Gawd way to make simple things difficult ....

It really should be a 1 minute process.

That's the same for all h11 and h3 members. They only get access to the general admission area, and if that's full - bad luck (it's a condition on the membership)

Club's with members bays (no reserved seat but access to a bay) are premium memberships and priced accordingly, and access to that bay is restricted to that membership category only.

For instance I'm 3121 at Richmond, but I cannot sit in the LVL one members bay in the Olympic stand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not suggesting it is .... goes back to the AFL setting minmum standards, but transparency & the AFL would be strange bedfellows.

Transparency for who?

All clubs are responsible to report to their members, and for members it's how the.club is trending that matters

Gws will never win the "membership ladder" by raw numbers or net revenue by member. Focusing on those stats will just underline perceived failure. What matters to then is are they improving revenues from punters in line with attendances and overall

It's not hard. If RFC attendances are flat, memberships up by 10%, but revenues from consumers are flat, I'm asking questions at an AGM.

I would be stunned if our membership revenue wasn't comfortably the highest in the league.
I don't really get why that's something to brag too hard over though. Yay - our memberships are extremely expensive even for average seats!! :neutral:
You will be. Don't know why anyone is trying to argue it either.

It's well known that West Coast have the worst ticket prices for general admission. Woo you make lots of money that's great but can you not make a day at the football a once a decade event for families?

Yes, they do, and the WA clubs have an additional burden in that they pay a royalty to the WAFL for the lease of their AFL licence, last year West Coast paid $6.5m and Fremantle $5.165m so their pricing needs to reflect that they need to recoup additional revenue to meet that requirement.

According to this article at the end of last year, Fremantle have the most affordable membership in the AFL for reserved seating tickets. https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/f...h-stadium-ng-9239295ccf7095c52e5658986b3a41dc while West Coast increased their cheapest membership by $20 despite the new stadium's increased capacity.

I think once you start to collect revenue way beyond you realistic needs, it becomes a bad reflection on the entity itself when it is a NFP. I think they should have to justify the reason they need to charge as much as they do to the ATO or they should be stripped of their tax exempt status.

Does an AFL club need to be sitting at $65m in assets with $43m in investments and $15m in cash when the club generates more than $60m annually from it's normal activities and in the rare instance when a stadium is redeveloped most of the funding comes from the government? What could possibly be the need to make more than $6m over and above any expense the club could think of spending, it is just either extremely poor budgeting or greed based price gouging of their loyal supporters. It is not the duty or the responsibility of their members to fund the amassing of a significant investment portfolio that the club doesn't need to perform it's function.

What they are doing isn't anything shrewd or good investment, it is just taking too much from the members that they have a legal duty of representing as a NFP entity. Fremantle is able to meet their requirements and make a modest surplus without massively overcharging their members.
Just to clarify, they do not pay a royalty to the WAFL. They pay it to the WAFC who are responsible for the game in WA. That money then funds grassroots and junior footy in WA. Unlike Victoria and most other states, the AFL do not fund the lower tiers.

The financial stability and power of the WA clubs is necessary to run footy in this state, it's not to fill a room full of money for Trevor Nisbett to swim in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just as an aside, let's call the spade a ******* shovel

1) is wce is largest supported club by raw fan numbers?

Possibly, with their only real challenger the magpies. They have support with 40-60% of the wa population, so no s**t they are big.

2) does wce make more money off of it members than any other club?

Duh! Thanks to excess demand, they charge through the nose and everyone knows it.

3) does 1 and 2 mean Richmond is a club of $5 memberships of s**t fans who don't go to games

No. And it's pathetic that this has become the benchmark claim for wce supporters this week. You are a large and strong club, be proud of that. You being big however doesn't mean every other club is a sack of s**t, and their supporters maggots who dont support their club

Add the bottom line? Of course not releasing the numbers is convenient but IMHO 1 + 1 still equals two.

Profit/loss
  • West Coast - $12,804,032
  • St Kilda - $5,267,414
  • Essendon - $5,054,186
  • Hawthorn - $4,933,128
  • Richmond - $3,063,298
  • Fremantle - $2,489,714
  • Melbourne - $1,363,060
  • Western Bulldogs - $1,643,050
  • Carlton - $667,803
  • Adelaide - $648,715
  • North Melbourne - $242,656
  • Sydney - $105,186
  • Gold Coast - $19,219
  • Geelong - ($339,849)
  • GWS - ($522,896)
  • Brisbane - ($2,261,990)
  • Collingwood - ($2,732,624)
Includes approx $1m from gaming @ Tigertown.
Eagles after $2m + pumped into local footy (WAFC).
The money comes from somewhere?
Yeh someone already posted the income from memberships. West Coast was not far infront of other teams

I set my dad up with the app so he can sell if required.

Gawd way to make simple things difficult ....

It really should be a 1 minute process.

Be grateful you don't host games Etihad

The AFL made it more expensive for MCG club's to have pre allocated seats for MCG reserved seat holders at Etihad, so to save coin the option club's were given was members registration

RFC took this option to avoid the price rise, and this is the process

1) click link and log into ticket agency
2) confirm your seat allocation

Then you have to do this:

TICKET PRINTING INSTRUCTIONS:

1// log in to your account manager
2// Enter your log-in details: Account ID: xxxxccc Password: Personal PIN
3// Select 'view all quick links'
4// Select 'Manage my Tickets'
5// Select 'Rd 15 Richmond v Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium'
6// Click 'Print-At-Home'
7// Tick the boxes of the seats you wish to print
8// Select the black 'Print' button
9// Select 'Continue to Print'
10// Tick the check box to agree to the Terms and Conditions
11// Select 'Submit'
12// A PDF of your e-ticket will then download
13// Please open the PDF and print off the ticket to use to scan into Etihad Stadium

Once WC get to 100k members a trigger clause in their licence with the AFL sets in progress the foundation a third WA club,
referred to provisionally as the 'Perth Black Swans.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back