West Coast sets new AFL/VFL record & 80K members

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to clarify, they do not pay a royalty to the WAFL. They pay it to the WAFC who are responsible for the game in WA. That money then funds grassroots and junior footy in WA.

Yeah, I should have said WAFC.

I am not having a go really at the structure and as I said I am well aware that the WA teams need to collect additional revenue so they can meet their obligations and requirements and I do agree that clubs need to keep reserves for leaner periods.

Unlike Victoria and most other states, the AFL do not fund the lower tiers.

That is because that is what the WAFC demanded as part of the condition of purchasing the licences and fielding teams in WA, they didn't want the AFL involved at any level... from grassroots up. The AFL had offered to both WA and SA to buy out the licences so they would be handed to the clubs and the AFL would take over responsibility for grass root development like they do everywhere else, but they both declined.

The financial stability and power of the WA clubs is necessary to run footy in this state, it's not to fill a room full of money for Trevor Nisbett to swim in.

Outside of the money that West Coast and Fremantle pay to the WAFC, how does the rest of the money help anyone? How is it being used? $43m of member money is sitting in an investment portfolio and another $15m is sitting in cash reserves. When have the eagles looked like they would have any issues meeting their requirements, when have the Eagles ever needed to dip into their reserve to fund footy in WA?

They have the capacity to spend significantly more on the football department and bear the equalisation tax to gain an on-field benefit and the club doesn't even use that wealth for an on-field advantage. If the club needed that extra money or used it for a benefit then that is great. However, I think overcharging members of a NPF just to sit on a massive pile of money without having the members vote on it and say that is something they wish to do is not in the spirit of NPFs imo. If it was a for profit entity then what they are doing is relatively normal.

I don't want to have a go at him specifically, because he has been great not just for West Coast but football in general and I don't want to have a go at him particularly, he has been a staunch supporter in forcing the AFL to get their s**t together and fix problems in Victoria that the AFL created and have dragged their collective arses on the ground for decades.

I just think he should cut the supporters some slack if they don't actively need the extra money. Perhaps not be a dick and force people on a waiting list to pay for that privilege, at the end of the day, his commitment to WAFC is limited to ensuring that the club has the capacity to meet it's financial requirement, he has far greater responsibilities and a legal duty to represent the members and supporters of the club and to operate it as an NPF, not a for-profit entity.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Once WC get to 100k members a trigger clause in their licence with the AFL sets in progress the foundation a third WA club,
referred to provisionally as the 'Perth Black Swans.'

That's right, anyone with a surname commencing A to L will have their membership transferred from either the Eagles or Dockers and they will support the new team … at the same time all Collingwood supporters with Christian names commencing from D to X will be required to attend at least 10 netball games each season … onya Gil !!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Outside of the money that West Coast and Fremantle pay to the WAFC, how does the rest of the money help anyone? How is it being used? $43m of member money is sitting in an investment portfolio and another $15m is sitting in cash reserves. When have the eagles looked like they would have any issues meeting their requirements, when have the Eagles ever needed to dip into their reserve to fund footy in WA?

Not familiar with the Lathlain project:
https://www.lathlainprecinct.com.au/
& more specific to the Eagles:
https://www.lathlainprecinct.com.au/zone/west-coast-eagles-zone

Some comment:
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/lathlain-reboot-breathes-new-life-to-perth-suburb-ng-b88565912z

Funding:
The Lathlain Precinct Redevelopment is jointly funded by the Coalition Government committing $13 million, Western Australian Government $8 million, Lotterywest $2 million, West Coast Eagles $35 million, Wirrpanda Foundation $1 million, and Edith Cowan University $900,000.
http://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/nash/releases/2017/august/fn145_2017.aspx

Lathlain Park is the home of Perth Footy Club in the WAFL.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Yeah, I should have said WAFC.

I am not having a go really at the structure and as I said I am well aware that the WA teams need to collect additional revenue so they can meet their obligations and requirements and I do agree that clubs need to keep reserves for leaner periods.

That is because that is what the WAFC demanded as part of the condition of purchasing the licences and fielding teams in WA, they didn't want the AFL involved at any level... from grassroots up. The AFL had offered to both WA and SA to buy out the licences so they would be handed to the clubs and the AFL would take over responsibility for grass root development like they do everywhere else, but they both declined.

They have the capacity to spend significantly more on the football department and bear the equalisation tax to gain an on-field benefit and the club doesn't even use that wealth for an on-field advantage. If the club needed that extra money or used it for a benefit then that is great. However, I think overcharging members of a NPF just to sit on a massive pile of money without having the members vote on it and say that is something they wish to do is not in the spirit of NPFs imo. If it was a for profit entity then what they are doing is relatively normal.

I don't want to have a go at him specifically, because he has been great not just for West Coast but football in general and I don't want to have a go at him particularly, he has been a staunch supporter in forcing the AFL to get their s**t together and fix problems in Victoria that the AFL created and have dragged their collective arses on the ground for decades.
What part of the history of this states involvement with the eastern states made the afl think we would hand over financial control of our footy to them. The mind boggles.

Surf lifesaving wa has just cut ties with the national body as they were tired of getting ten cents in the dollar.

Who knows what they want to do with that money - maybe organise charters at a reasonable price for our members when we make a grand final - that would be a great cause.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The AFL had offered to both WA and SA to buy out the licences so they would be handed to the clubs and the AFL would take over responsibility for grass root development like they do everywhere else, but they both declined.

It happened in SA a couple of years back - loaded both clubs with a heap of debt.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Transparency for who?

All clubs are responsible to report to their members, and for members it's how the.club is trending that matters

Gws will never win the "membership ladder" by raw numbers or net revenue by member. Focusing on those stats will just underline perceived failure. What matters to then is are they improving revenues from punters in line with attendances and overall

It's not hard. If RFC attendances are flat, memberships up by 10%, but revenues from consumers are flat, I'm asking questions at an AGM.

Transparency of reporting to a set minimum disclosure.

Clubs need more members like you 74, just buying the PR spin is not good IMHO, though many could not care.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Be grateful you don't host games Etihad

The AFL made it more expensive for MCG club's to have pre allocated seats for MCG reserved seat holders at Etihad, so to save coin the option club's were given was members registration

RFC took this option to avoid the price rise, and this is the process

1) click link and log into ticket agency
2) confirm your seat allocation

Then you have to do this:

TICKET PRINTING INSTRUCTIONS:

1// log in to your account manager
2// Enter your log-in details: Account ID: xxxxccc Password: Personal PIN
3// Select 'view all quick links'
4// Select 'Manage my Tickets'
5// Select 'Rd 15 Richmond v Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium'
6// Click 'Print-At-Home'
7// Tick the boxes of the seats you wish to print
8// Select the black 'Print' button
9// Select 'Continue to Print'
10// Tick the check box to agree to the Terms and Conditions
11// Select 'Submit'
12// A PDF of your e-ticket will then download
13// Please open the PDF and print off the ticket to use to scan into Etihad Stadium
In this day of phones and apps it should be soooo *ing easy.

You can pm me your bsb and account number and i can then deposit thousands of dollars in your account. Between you and me it would be effortless and take a minute.

This is a fkkkn footy ticket we are talking about here - should take no more than 30 seconds and be scannable from your phone.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
In this day of phones and apps it should be soooo ruddy easy.

You can pm me your bsb and account number and i can then deposit thousands of dollars in your account. Between you and me it would be effortless and take a minute.

This is a fkkkn footy ticket we are talking about here - should take no more than 30 seconds and be scannable from your phone.

Write the app, seems no code across the world has done it.
I'd do it myself just lack the knowledge, the skill, the expertise ….

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
IMG_0119.JPG

The emperor of ' Optus '

Probably a good pose for the inevitable statue of this cheating campaigner the bin chickin's will be obligated to erect out the front of the stadium once his cheating days are over and he has been inaugurated as West Corps no 1 ticket holder

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
How is it being used? $43m of member money is sitting in an investment portfolio and another $15m is sitting in cash reserves. When have the eagles looked like they would have any issues meeting their requirements, when have the Eagles ever needed to dip into their reserve to fund footy in WA?

They have the capacity to spend significantly more on the football department and bear the equalisation tax to gain an on-field benefit and the club doesn't even use that wealth for an on-field advantage.

You make a valid point- I suspect they are worried about an expanded AFL wealth tax
That's right, anyone with a surname commencing A to L will have their membership transferred from either the Eagles or Dockers and they will support the new team … at the same time all Collingwood supporters with Christian names commencing from D to X will be required to attend at least 10 netball games each season … onya Gil !!

Not a bad idea!
Should have transferred/ traded some swans fans across to the giants

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Wow look at our profits !!!!

No one gouges our supporters like us !!!

What a club

If the sphinx were alive today its riddle would be :

What is the creature that walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon and three in the evening and all the day nary a flag?

The fremantle incels

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you had something resembling an education it would be quite obvious.

Too much time smoking durries and cracking jokes behind the bike shed I guess , maybe if you had spent a bit more time there instead of in the library with the dorks you might be able to come up with better jokes

Ps it's a man right ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back