West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 we just scraped into finals and looked like going nowhere after retiring Priddis, Mitchell, Petrie, Mackenzie. We blooded a whole bunch of new players in 2018 and were a completely different side. A lot can change in one off season.

Weve got 5 draft picks in the first 3 rounds this year. No reason we can’t be contending again next season with a new game plan and some fresh faces.
yeah 2017 season eagles snuck in, Got 8th spot instead of the demons. Eagles beat Port in Adelaide oval in that elim final in 2017.

2018: Eagles were $40 for the flag. I got an Eagles mate that lives around the Port Adelaide area (dont ask the back story lol). Put a drunk bet on it $100 to be exact. eagles won the flag in 2018.

2019: Eagles were still in line for top 4, possibly top 2. Faced Richmond at the MCG. lost narrowly then lost to the hawks in Perth the next week.

Except this time he won’t have a don pyke (2015)or Sam Mitchell(2018) to help him.

Outside those times he hasn’t even been able to get top 4 , often with better lists.
I’m starting to think simpsons not as good as coach as is often made out to be
Adam Simpson of 2018, Reminds me scarily to John Worsfold in 2006. Both won their respective flags narrowly.

The Kelly trade will haunt. Turns 28 next year.

Pick 5 14, 24 lost.
1st off Tim Kelly is Born July 26 1994. Turns 27 next week.

Actually..... It was tim Kelly and a 2020 3rd rounder.

Cats got Picks 14, 24 and 33 and Eagles 2020 1st rounder. Was way overs considering Dangerfield went to the crows for picks 10, 28 and dean gore.

As heavy as the price that the Tim Kelly trade is, It wont set them back 4-6 years.

Its not like freos trading from 2000-06 when freo traded heavily for Peter Bell in 2000, Des Headland in 2002 and Josh Carr in 2004.

28 years of embarrassing failure makes freo a little salty

West Coast have only missed finals 7 times since Fremantle's inception.
Fremantle have only played finals 7 times since their inception.

The 2021 performances of West Coast and Fremantle respectively and how the fans and media view each club's performance tells you all that you need to know.

West Coast are inside the top 8 and above Fremantle on the ladder who sit outside the top 8.

West Coast fans have the pitchforks out and want Simpson sacked because they're not happy with the club's performance. The media have not hesitated to hold the club accountable as well.

Fremantle fans are happy with their club's performance and are reasonably content. The media don't really talk about the club in general and only seem to talk about the Dockers in passing. When they do mention the Dockers, they're rebuilding and get a free pass.

Says it all really about the difference between the two clubs.

The 2021 performances of West Coast and Fremantle respectively and how the fans and media view each club's performance tells you all that you need to know.

West Coast are inside the top 8 and above Fremantle on the ladder who sit outside the top 8.

West Coast fans have the pitchforks out and want Simpson sacked because they're not happy with the club's performance. The media have not hesitated to hold the club accountable as well.

Fremantle fans are happy with their club's performance and are reasonably content. The media don't really talk about the club in general and only seem to talk about the Dockers in passing. When they do mention the Dockers, they're rebuilding and get a free pass.

Dont care what you think to be honest.

Again..... Freos been in the AFL for 27 years and only 7 of those years they made finals. Again, Had Freos Board back in 1994-5 been as good as running freo in terms of scouting, drafting, development, management and overall vesatility in the football department overall, I wont say freo would of been certain to have won a flag. They would of made finals more times then they do now.

Instead of 7 years of finals out of 27 years, it might of been 9 or 10 or 11 years of making finals out of 27. Could add 1997 as freo would of made finals had we beat bottom placed demons. you could add 2004-5 as well and 2007. I can add 2011 as freo were 9-7 before injuries hit and Mark Harvey was sacked. I can add 2020 as well as freo lost a few narrow games despite getting 11th.

Considering Freos history, how they have been run and how luck rarely favours freo..... I would be happy and fortunate if Freo makes finals 8-10 times in the next 25-30 years.

I have posted this before and I will post this again.

Freo only made finals 3 times Between 1995-2011: 2003, 2006 and 2010. They should of made finals 5 or 6 times in that period and should of got 1 or 2 more finals wins. Which says a lot as from 1995-2010, it was a 16 team comp and 8 finals spots. Literally a 50% chance. A non vic side like freo needed 12 wins, sometimes post an 11 wins and 11 loss record to make it. So 8-10 wins at home and 2-4 wins away vs bottom 6 clubs.

Compare that to the other non-vic clubs in Adelaide, Brisbane, Swans, Port and West coast in the same time line, All 5 teams made 2 grand finals, won at least 1 flag and made finals at least 8 times in that period, except for port that made finals 7 times.

Good luck making finals 8 times in 16 years with 18 sides fighting for 8 finals spots.

Freo only made finals 3 times Between 1995-2011: 2003, 2006 and 2010. They should of made finals 5 or 6 times in that period and should of got 1 or 2 more finals wins. Which says a lot as from 1995-2010, it was a 16 team comp and 8 finals spots. Literally a 50% chance. A non vic side like freo needed 12 wins, sometimes post an 11 wins and 11 loss record to make it. So 8-10 wins at home and 2-4 wins away vs bottom 6 clubs.

Oh yes, how good was 2006.

Two local sides up and about at the same time :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again..... Freos been in the AFL for 27 years and only 7 of those years they made finals. Again, Had Freos Board back in 1994-5 been as good as running freo in terms of scouting, drafting, development, management and overall vesatility in the football department overall, I wont say freo would of been certain to have won a flag. They would of made finals more times then they do now.

Instead of 7 years of finals out of 27 years, it might of been 9 or 10 or 11 years of making finals out of 27. Could add 1997 as freo would of made finals had we beat bottom placed demons. you could add 2004-5 as well and 2007. I can add 2011 as freo were 9-7 before injuries hit and Mark Harvey was sacked. I can add 2020 as well as freo lost a few narrow games despite getting 11th.

Considering Freos history, how they have been run and how luck rarely favours freo..... I would be happy and fortunate if Freo makes finals 8-10 times in the next 25-30 years.

Compare that to the other non-vic clubs in Adelaide, Brisbane, Swans, Port and West coast in the same time line, All 5 teams made 2 grand finals, won at least 1 flag and made finals at least 8 times in that period, except for port that made finals 7 times.

Good luck making finals 8 times in 16 years with 18 sides fighting for 8 finals spots.

This is perhaps the best post I have ever seen to describe the difference between the Eagles and Dockers.

It is the difference in expectations. As an Eagles supporter I expect to win and often think about the failure in 2005 and 2019.

I perceive Dockers supporters fondly remember 2013 when they lost a GF they should have won whilst I regret the 2005 GF we should have won.

I often wonder if this creates a subliminal tolerance of failure and praise for trying your hardest. Do Dockers players look down at the jumper and think “I have done enough just to get here?”

I really hope they do well one day and get some success. I’m just fascinated by the psychology of tolerating failure.

That said. We are the golden child and had advantages from day 1 that Freo didn’t have.

Good luck Dockers, hope your day comes.

You don’t live in Perth.

Lived most of my life in Perth.

Media in Melbourne don’t give a rat balls about Fremantle.

In Perth, the media actively make up stuff about the Dockers and harass Freo players.

The Melbourne media use a Perth source for stuff they dream up.
Look forward to the Freo flag.

This is perhaps the best post I have ever seen to describe the difference between the Eagles and Dockers.

It is the difference in expectations. As an Eagles supporter I expect to win and often think about the failure in 2005 and 2019.

I perceive Dockers supporters fondly remember 2013 when they lost a GF they should have won whilst I regret the 2005 GF we should have won.

I often wonder if this creates a subliminal tolerance of failure and praise for trying your hardest. Do Dockers players look down at the jumper and think “I have done enough just to get here?”

I really hope they do well one day and get some success. I’m just fascinated by the psychology of tolerating failure.

That said. We are the golden child and had advantages from day 1 that Freo didn’t have.

Good luck Dockers, hope your day comes.

Yep most dockers fans savoured that 2012-15 period. Its the only time freo made finals for at least 2 years in a row. Thats that some freo fans want after 6 years of no finals, a 2-3 year run of finals again.

The funny thing about freo starting and their start ups was their disorganization. The freo board had only 6 weeks to scout around for talent. People bag out gerard neesham for getting all his claremont players. He won WAFL flag with Claremont in 1987, 1989, 1991 and 1993. Yet, they were remarkably competitive under his 4 years despite the resources or Lack there of resources they had at the time.

Yet no one bags Out Graham at the crows. He was coaching Glenelg in the SANFL before he was a crows coach. Won premierships as a Glenelg coach from 1985-6. One of his early signings was getting Tony McGuiness from the footscray bulldogs. He is a glenelg boy. Crows 1st captain was Chris McDermott, what SANFL club he came from? you guessed it, Glenelg.

Saying that the Irony of West coast starting up was they were a state side to a degree, But Talented mature agers were taken before the Eagles were formed. Mark Bairstow was signed with geelong at the end of 1986. 10 days later, West coast was formed, Nicky Winmar and Earl Spalding went to other VFL clubs before the Eagles were formed. Forward Press would tell you about it and find the thread for you.

You look at the eagles 1987 List. Its only 35 players. Yet the Eagles only had 6-7 players that played from VFL clubs, An Ageing Ross Glendenning was one, an injury prone Phil Narkle was another. The rest of the squad were younger guys in that 18-21 year old bracket.

Ironic, that the Eagles were only left with the sloppy 2nds when it came to the mature aged 24-26 year olds. Yet those 18-21 year olds became 24-27 year olds in 1992, the year of the eagles 1st flag.

Back