West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, older players work if you have a good mix of youth & other talent to cover their deficiencies. Mundy is an example who has no pace anymore but still good skills and others can cover for him defensively, on field leadership makes him important. I feel like WC went too far and there are too many older players with new deficiencies to cover from a young group of late picks without much exposure. You're going to have to figure out which older players are most important for the culture/work ethic and move on a few extra who aren't, even if they are better than the kids atm.

I think if JK is your only senior list change, you'll just be digging a bigger hole in the future.
It's going to have to be a multi year process. We also have a bunch of dead wood in the early to mid 20s age bracket that need to be cut. You can't go to the draft for more than 4-5 players before you hit the dregs that will likely be list cloggers.

The aim is to nail a few drafts at the top end to get elite mids (we already have good KPP except for rucks). Then trade for the role players once you move a bit up the ladder (Freo and Carlton have done this well recently). Then you're off again. We would expect a dip out of finals in a few seasons once the vets retire, but that's when you pick up the next bunch to replace them.

Well I was hoping to have a somewhat civilised discussion on the topic and avoid the usual insular responses such as , case in point…

But alas it looks like not to be!

Dude, you troll like posts on the West Coast board all the time, but you don't like it when you get called out for it?

Tsk tsk.

You should browse the West Coast board and figure it out, you seem to go there often enough.
Word is it's a real laugh riot over there.

I was gonna have a look today but I was worried for the person that might have to use my seat next.

It only looks formidable if you assume all the players can get back to their career best, but that will never happen. The reality is that Gaff, Shuey and Redden are past it. Gov may get there again but his body just hasn't held up (so probably not). Yeo in a similar boat. Nic Nat too.

Darling, Ryan, Rioli, Allen, Barrass, Kelly should all keep playing some good football over the next few years. The glaring problem is the lack of top end midfield talent and midfield depth. That will only come from the draft and will take a few seasons to bed down.
Hahahaha. I saw a post you wrote in the non 🦅 eagles discussion board. You said Freo had a soft draw or soft fixture this season. I couldn't quote it because I am banned on posting there. Freo had the demons twice and cats in Geelong.... But anyway......

Is Hurn going around for another season? If he wasn't, he would of retired like your bearded forward Josh Kennedy.

I have posted this before and will post this again.

Those blokes from the 2010 draft: darling, Gaff and McGovern. All 3 are 30. Do you see either of those 3 in the eagles next finals run?

Maybe unless all 3 do a Mundy and play until they are 35 or 36 years old. Unless the eagles board can turn it around quickly and those blokes play finals at 33 years old.

Another key bloke is Tim Kelly. He is 28 or 29 years old next season.

He will be one of the eagles biggest wage getters. Will he be in the eagles next finals side? Maybe, unless he wants to play until he is 31 or 32 years old.

I actually could see him play until he is 34-36 years old. Possibly was a blessing in disguise he didn't get recruited or drafted until 2017 as a 22 or 23 year old. At least he didn't have to travel from Perth to Melbourne or Sydney every 2nd week as a 19 or 20 year old.

You should browse the West Coast board and figure it out, you seem to go there often enough.
I remembered a time you were a moderator.

Did you use that authouritah.... Or authority for good?

Or did you go full Donald Trump or Vladmir Putin or Tough man Tony Abbott and become a corrupt campaigner? LoL

I think I might agree with Mark Duffield on this one that next year, WC will probably bounce back a bit before bottoming out after that for a couple of years. Get a pre-season and decent injury run with the older players and next year they might nudge the 8. The year after that though with McGovern, NicNat and Yeo (if his body hasnt just completely fallen apart) 2 years older than now, Shuey and Hurn gone, it could be rough.

Trading Rioli for a 2nd round pick would be a good result for all parties I think and they should be all over GC once that Adelaide trade is done to break up their first into more picks (I'm a big believer in quantity over quality for top 10 picks).

The advantage they have over us is in 2016 is that the whole club knows its a top to bottom restart so they wont / shouldnt have the equivalent that was disaster of the 2018 trade period. The MSD should help as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I might agree with Mark Duffield on this one that next year, WC will probably bounce back a bit before bottoming out after that for a couple of years. Get a pre-season and decent injury run with the older players and next year they might nudge the 8. The year after that though with McGovern, NicNat and Yeo (if his body hasnt just completely fallen apart) 2 years older than now, Shuey and Hurn gone, it could be rough.

Trading Rioli for a 2nd round pick would be a good result for all parties I think and they should be all over GC once that Adelaide trade is done to break up their first into more picks (I'm a big believer in quantity over quality for top 10 picks).

The advantage they have over us is in 2016 is that the whole club knows its a top to bottom restart so they wont / shouldnt have the equivalent that was disaster of the 2018 trade period. The MSD should help as well
WestCoasts best 22 is still pretty good and can challenge for finals.

They have had an injury and COVID season from hell.

Their depth and youth is very underwhelming and the cliff is in two years.

Interesting what they do.

Do they retool or rebuild?

My gut feel they will retool and trade heavily.

Eddie had a great career spanning two clubs but how is he remembered by the football public?
Blue or a Crow?

I think it’s where he played his peak, so Crows for me. Much like GAJ at the Suns.

But I’m in the minority, most people will remember him as a blues player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back