West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters
I am interested to see how long this takes. It’s going to sound like making excuses for Freo and downplaying it for WC but it’s ******* hard to win a flag from over here. While WC have historically been one of the best run clubs in the AFL it’s worth noting the first two happened being basically a state squad and they’re not indicative of modern list building.

The other two flags have A LOT to do with pick 3 in 2001 being basically the greatest draft pick in history given it gave them an all-time great which then turned nicely into a generational KPF and a handy 200 game player in Masten after winning a flag.

I don’t think this is going to be as simple as “we are WC, we win” but the time to their next GF appearance will tell me a lot about how historically s**t Freo is.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Copium would be more claiming things without a history of actually backing it up.

Eg: its our year… flagmantle

Since your lot entered the comp weve backed it up… weve heard the jibes from your mob, lost games against your mob, had the parity thread rise…. And then disappear into the ether…….as we win another….

Copium is what your mob use to get through those flags.

As of yet our tin of copium remains unopened in the cabinet….you know, that cabinet also occupied by a nice set of silverware…… oh … sorry….

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Not so fun fact from the weekend. Collingwood had 6 of the 7 players in the 2018 grand final playing whereas the Eagles had 2 of 12 with Duggan finishing up early because of a neck injury. All apart from Cox and Adams had great games. Holding onto the old guard can work if they stay fit and contribute which they clearly are not.
Is the club reviewing its fitness/recovery program? There's clearly bad luck at play but once it's prolonged it is reasonable to ask the question

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Is the club reviewing its fitness/recovery program? There's clearly bad luck at play but once it's prolonged it is reasonable to ask the question
well we dropped the s&C coach this pre-season and got the ex Sydney one in. Kofoed and the physios would be the next in the gun. Apparently we have brought in outside experts because of the soft tissue injuries. The annoying thing is we had a pretty fit list first couple of games then the Derby happened with 5 injuries in game and it's collapsed from there.

I am interested to see how long this takes. It’s going to sound like making excuses for Freo and downplaying it for WC but it’s ******* hard to win a flag from over here. While WC have historically been one of the best run clubs in the AFL it’s worth noting the first two happened being basically a state squad and they’re not indicative of modern list building.

The other two flags have A LOT to do with pick 3 in 2001 being basically the greatest draft pick in history given it gave them an all-time great which then turned nicely into a generational KPF and a handy 200 game player in Masten after winning a flag.

I don’t think this is going to be as simple as “we are WC, we win” but the time to their next GF appearance will tell me a lot about historically s**t Freo is.

No room in this thread for sensible takes, need to post screenshots of the definition of copium and trolling the ones on the other side of Perth.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Not so fun fact from the weekend. Collingwood had 6 of the 7 players in the 2018 grand final playing whereas the Eagles had 2 of 12 with Duggan finishing up early because of a neck injury. All apart from Cox and Adams had great games. Holding onto the old guard can work if they stay fit and contribute which they clearly are not.

No doubt a factor, but I would say the biggest factor is having the 22 players who run out in your jumper at least somewhat interested in the game and willing to make some semblance of effort.

There are deeper problems at WC than age and injury.

The players who are fit do not give a *.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

I don’t think this is going to be as simple as “we are WC, we win” but the time to their next GF appearance will tell me a lot about how historically s**t Freo is.
It most certainly was not a state squad. Prior to us joining, the vfl had been picking the eyes out of the wafl right up till we joined.

If you made up a soo team the year we joined the comp none of our draftees would have been in it, they would all be playing for vic clubs with the odd one still in the wafl.

What we DID have was a strong crop of 18 year olds from wa that we drafted and developed together along with some older mature guys who came home. We unwittingly discovered the best way to use the draft and didnt look back. Picking dean kemp at pick 117

Should be mentioned here…

Freo suffered a pretty crap entry into the comp as their draft concessions sucked compared to ours.

But since then gc and gws if anything have had better draft concessions yet still didnt manage west coast's success.

Writing our first two flags off to a “state squad” is a flat out untruth.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Copium would be more claiming things without a history of actually backing it up.

Eg: its our year… flagmantle

Since your lot entered the comp weve backed it up… weve heard the jibes from your mob, lost games against your mob, had the parity thread rise…. And then disappear into the ether…….as we win another….

Copium is what your mob use to get through those flags.

As of yet our tin of copium remains unopened in the cabinet….you know, that cabinet also occupied by a nice set of silverware…… oh … sorry….
You really are having trouble coming to grips with it all aren’t you?

I guess that’s the price you pay when you live vicariously through your football team and relate your own self worth to every success and consequently failure they have

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
You really are having trouble coming to grips with it all aren’t you?

I guess that’s the price you pay when you live vicariously through your football team and relate your own self worth to every success and consequently failure they have
If anything thats projection.

Its freo obsessed with us and our success. We just enjoy our success, its you lot sit there being overjoyed at anything bad happening to the eagles, we barely notice your existence.

As for living vicariously through your football team, we both have thousands of posts on a football forum.

Chucketh not stones oh one who liveth in glass houseth!!!

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
The issue for them is they have no experienced players they can trade out for decent capital maybe other than sheed and Kelly WA boys who won’t leave

So are essentially stuck with a bunch of players over 28 who are cooked

Barass and Oscar Allen would fetch them first round picks, but they definitely won't be trading then.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Giving NicNat a contract for 2024 was absolutely disgraceful.
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Just got a question, where does this current side fit within the worst sides ever? I can't remember a worse side in my day.

Worst I have seen since Fitzroy 1996

Even Carlton's Spoon teams and Melbourne under Bailey and Neeld were not this bad.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's a major issue with the competition that teams can be this bad and all they get is rewarded not penalised.

My club has been there as has just about every club but shrugging your shoulders and just moving onto next week after that kind of performace is rubbish.

It will never happen but I would love a promotion / relegation system.

Back