West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we have FOMO over Reid TBH.

Fair enough too, doubt many would trade him.

We need the hype he can bring too, excitement and the unknown is foreign as a WCE fan lately

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do the Eagles want to build a team, or just have one star player? If they struggle in his rookie years, he may want to leave anyway and the FOMO would be the missed 1st rounders. Either way, I'd go 3 or 4 first round selections and might get a solid core in 3 or 4 seasons.

Do the Eagles want to build a team, or just have one star player? If they struggle in his rookie years, he may want to leave anyway and the FOMO would be the missed 1st rounders. Either way, I'd go 3 or 4 first round selections and might get a solid core in 3 or 4 seasons.

This isn’t our first draft in 3 years nor our final draft ever.

We have time to build a side. There is a reason clubs pay huge premiums to get in the best players. Always cheaper to just draft them.

Allen is already a star and Reid, Ginbey, Hewett looks like we’re building a team to me.

You need A Graders to build a top flight team.

They are hard to get access to, usually because in this day and age they are taken at the top of the draft. WCE don’t have any magic father-son picks on the horizon and are not fortunate enough to be able to turn a handful of 2nd round picks into #2.

The Eagles split their pick last year to slide down the order and maximise their hand.

They opted for Ginbey and Hewitt over Sheezel or Wardlaw.

Ideally this year, they take the best available.

Gambling in this draft with a handful of picks in the teens (or 20s by the time they are actually taken), alongside an alternative Victorian/Tasmanian midfielder (highly rated…but not as highly as Reid) does not offer a major incentive to the Eagles.

This build is gonna take multiple years before we even start getting competitive again. I'm perfectly fine with taking the 'generational midfielder' in a weak draft and splitting next years pick in a draft that's apparently stronger.

Nah, we’ve got another draft or 2 and we’re set.
Use the draft to pick up the A-graders, such as Reid this year and whoever at the pointy end next year. Keep tabs on WA talls competing for spots(such as Busslinger), FA players to flesh out the best 22 and so forth.

Don't recruit for the same 3 positions on the ground for 6 years in a row and we should be ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One A grader, 2 x 2nd year 1st round picks and an undrafted player. You've only just laid the pad, a long way to go.

The rebuild isn't complete. Don't think any West Coast fan thinks we are set, not by a long shot. Need another couple of good drafts.

However, we also did not only start rebuilding last year. There are plenty that have shown signs. Not all will make it, and there is no doubt Shuey, Hurn and Naitanui leave giant gaps in the team, but there's enough glimpses shown from Hough, Bazzo, Culley, Maric, Bwilliams etc and the optimism is justified.

The rebuild isn't complete. Don't think any West Coast fan thinks we are set, not by a long shot. Need another couple of good drafts.

However, we also did not only start rebuilding last year. There are plenty that have shown signs. Not all will make it, and there is no doubt Shuey, Hurn and Naitanui leave giant gaps in the team, but there's enough glimpses shown from Hough, Bazzo, Culley, Maric, Bwilliams etc and the optimism is justified.
There’s green shoots but the list was scorched earth to begin with so you’re probably 2-3 years behind North Melbourne.

There’s green shoots but the list was scorched earth to begin with so you’re probably 2-3 years behind North Melbourne.

Maybe - and Harley Reid by himself certainly won't put us in a premiership window - but the idea that North giving us a bundle of late first rounders in a draft where Melbourne sacrificed a second rounder to move up from 14 to 11 should be adequate for a rebuild is nuts.

Not all will make it - Reid isn't a guarantee either - but I think we can back ourselves to retain our required interstate players and there is nothing to suggest Reid isn't that good or is reluctant to move interstate.

Nothing would make me happier if Harley Reid signed a contract extension with the Coasters before the 2024 season kicks off

Would certainly put the likes of Damo Barrett and Kornes in their place.

BTW that Elijah Hewett for the Eagles is maybe the most underrated kid/young player in the AFL right now.

He is *ing ripper..

The list turnover was going to be slower than it has been. I disagree about our relative position to North Melbourne, not that it matters because our rebuild should be 5 years behind North and Hawthorn.

Nothing would make me happier if Harley Reid signed a contract extension with the Coasters before the 2024 season kicks off

Would certainly put the likes of Damo Barrett and Kornes in their place.

BTW that Elijah Hewett for the Eagles is maybe the most underrated kid/young player in the AFL right now.

He is *ing ripper..
I haven't been particularly impressed to be honest.

In 2024, if you are Spooners again you'll have another pick 1 and HQ will gift you lots more good picks, just like they did for North this year. Precedent has been set now.

Smart to hang onto Reid this year.

West Coast have a spine and a backline

Back