Discussion West Coast to Wear Sekem Made Jumpers in Early 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Without trying to sound flippant - it's not a very hard jumper to make

How badly could they have cocked it up?

1. It is actually a challenge to make player issue jumpers that a fit for purpose, especially if it's your first time. This isn't local leagues where they wear retail level guernseys, just cut some lycra out onto a singlet pattern and bobs-yer-uncle, these things require R&D, especially at such a high level. Could have been as simple as the PI guernseys were slightly too short, or rode a little high on the armpits, or the collar needed darts/reinforced stitching.

2. There's also a strong chance they would have been trying to innovate with what they were supplying, as part of their point of difference from other suppliers, and those innovations ultimately fell short and were more of an issue than an improvement.

Did they not make samples up to show the Eagles what they'd be producing?

You'd assume so, but there's a chance there were issues than weren't obvious until players starting wearing the garments. I've had it happen a couple of times where clients have seen samples, tried on samples and then come back and complain about something they perceived as an issue once they receive the garments and starting playing in them, even though it is as per the samples.

Sports apparel is a finnicky game.

Unlikely, but there is a chance that COVID/shipping Delays/ working from home/ out of ordinary routines interrupted the sample process.

I work in architecture and although obviously a different industry, we require samples throughout the build process, and a couple of times last year had a bit of pressure to approve things without samples to not further delay processes. Then when samples are received, working from home leads to the sample being viewed by fewer people than would typically be around the office, which I could see similarly translating to a footy club where someone doesn’t pick up an issue.

I imagine there could also be a chance due to hubs/unusual player holidays last year that they never managed to test the sample as rigorously as they normally would.

1. It is actually a challenge to make player issue jumpers that a fit for purpose, especially if it's your first time. This isn't local leagues where they wear retail level guernseys, just cut some lycra out onto a singlet pattern and bobs-yer-uncle, these things require R&D, especially at such a high level. Could have been as simple as the PI guernseys were slightly too short, or rode a little high on the armpits, or the collar needed darts/reinforced stitching.

2. There's also a strong chance they would have been trying to innovate with what they were supplying, as part of their point of difference from other suppliers, and those innovations ultimately fell short and were more of an issue than an improvement.
Very fair points, I hadn't thought it through enough

Looks like the same collar sekem are using for Freo.

You might be onto something there. The high sponsors look very similar to freos. I guess the quickest (you’d think) way to get some jumpers made up would be to get them produced locally. Wouldn’t be opposed to the Eagles just using that scenario going forward. Castore seem to have no idea what they’re doing, so just slap their logo on a locally produced jumper, and off you go.

It’d depend how readily available they were. If the club auction them off, probably not, because in theory anyone could get one. If you managed to get a few through the club somehow or from the players themselves, then they’d be worth a bit more. Supply and demand really, comes down to how many are out there, and how easy they are to get

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’d depend how readily available they were. If the club auction them off, probably not, because in theory anyone could get one. If you managed to get a few through the club somehow or from the players themselves, then they’d be worth a bit more. Supply and demand really, comes down to how many are out there, and how easy they are to get
But if they're only used in 2-3 games, there would be about 25-30 units out there, max.

But if they're only used in 2-3 games, there would be about 25-30 units out there, max.

If they’re being used for the team photos then there must be at least one per player, so thats 42. I dare say there will be at least two made per player because for anyone who plays, they need a spare in case its torn or gets blood on it. So that would make 84. If the arrival of Castore’s stock is indefinite, they may have even more made, especially for best 22 players.

I think the fact that everything is sublimated, even the top rear sponsor (BHP was heat pressed on last year) makes me think they’ll be using by here for a while. If it was going to be for one of two games, you’d think they might just heat press the Castore logo over the ISC, and heat press the Audi logo on as well? Maybe not though, with some players playing the pre season games in the wrong numbers cause they didn’t have the ISC numbered jumpers for them. It’s all very strange

Castore was always gonna be a risk being an unknown really and unfortunately hasn't paid off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back