West Coast topping up

Remove this Banner Ad

Very much a 2 tiered list. There's the older guys like Kennedy, Priddis, Hurn and then the rebuild group around Shuey, Nic Nat, Gaff, McGovern, Darling.
Isn't every list "2 tiered" in the sense that there are guys in their late 20s/30s and then some younger guys underneath?

That seems like a pretty standard profile. I'm not sure it reveals much about WC's strengths/weaknesses.

The Eagles real problems are:
1. That Wellingham, LeCras and Hill are still regular players. They are the older guys I'd hate more than Petrie and Mitchell.
Wellingham was excellent in 2015. And by no means 'the problem' in 2016.

2. Cripps, Darling, Yeo and Lycett have levelled out as players. They don't seem to have the next gear in them.
Not sure you can say that for Lycett. And Yeo is still pretty young. If Darling becomes a consistent 40-50 goal per season forward, that's not bad.

3. The depressing peak career block of Redden, Jetta, Masten and Hutchings and the fact they gave up good picks to recruit 2 of those guys to replace the incumbents only to see them not being improvements at all. 2015 trade/draft period was the stuff up, not 2016.
Indeed. Redden and Jetta were seen as the required acquisitions to improve the midfield after making a GF. Both have been non-factors to date.

If WC deserve criticism for any recent acquisitions, those are the ones worthy of scrutiny, not Mitchell and Petrie, for whom there was almost zero cost.

Last edited:

Wellingham was excellent in 2015. And by means 'the problem' in 2016.

Not sure you can say that for Lycett. And Yeo is still pretty young. If Darling becomes a consistent 40-50 goal per season forward, that's not bad.

Indeed. Redden and Jetta were seen as the required acquisitions to improve the midfield after making a GF. Both have been non-factors to date.

If WC deserve criticism for any recent acquisitions, those are the ones worthy of scrutiny, not Mitchell and Petrie, for whom there was almost zero cost.
Wellingham was great in 2015 but that was the outlier in his career since 2010. I don't trust him.

Yep harsh on Lycett for a young ruck with injury, but his forward play trailed off I guess. Yeo and Darling can play but they've build reputations for themselves as finals non performers, with Jetta of course. And it's not that they aren't good player but they haven't gone to the next level. It's more about important moments for Darling than overall ability.

West Coast aren't in a terrible position but it's hard to knock the top 5 teams, Swans and Cats are pro's, Dogs, Giants on the rise, Adelaide pretty well place. Hawthorn get the benefit of the doubt on their changes. North are rebuilding and most sides outside the 8 have made improvements and are on a pretty clear path. The Eagles are one team that are hard to place next year. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have them anywhere between 4th and 14th on the ladder.

First pick was 28.
After Academy/Father Son selections, it was initially Pick 23. This means the pick we traded Redden for was pushed back to mid 20's. Maybe it wasn't First Round but we had our first pick only 4 or 5 spots from the Redden pick. It was essentially Redden for Rosa and a slight pick downgrade in the mid 20's and later in the draft.

North gave up nothing for Waite, Higgins, Dal Santo etc. also so we can't really play the 'we got them on the cheap' card.

The difference is that Mitchell is a clear one or perhaps two year proposition as a player and Petrie is rookie list insurance because Naitanui is out for the year and now Lycett will miss the start of the season. Petrie is as much a 'top up' as Vardy only he will be on the list for less time.

Wellingham was great in 2015 but that was the outlier in his career since 2010. I don't trust him.
Maybe not. Still, Wellingham is not the issue.

The issue is the complete failure of the midfield's second tier. The top tier is Priddis, Gaff and Shuey, who generally do their jobs but are limited in their own ways. Priddis is slow and not very skilled. Gaff has not much of a contested game. Shuey is the most complete of the three but isn't high-volume enough to be a genuine top-liner.

Then the second tier has basically been a black hole since the end of 2007. We recruited Masten, who is jarringly ordinary. We recruited Ebert, who went to Port and turned out pretty good. We recruited Selwood who was honest but limited and then went to Geelong. We recruited Swift, who quit. We recruited Stevens, who sucked and then left. Rosa went OK but left because he thought he was going to be replaced. We recruited Jetta and Redden, both non-factors to date. We recruited Cavka and Waterman, both delisted without playing a game due to injury and illness. We've got Yeo, who doesn't appear to be a full-time midfielder. We've got Duggan, who isn't ready. And Sheed, who goes OK and should improve further. And Hutchings, who is just meh.

In other words, too many misses. That's the issue.

Yep harsh on Lycett for a young ruck with injury, but his forward play trailed off I guess. Yeo and Darling can play but they've build reputations for themselves as finals non performers, with Jetta of course. And it's not that they aren't good player but they haven't gone to the next level. It's more about important moments for Darling than overall ability..
See above.

It's the midfield.

West Coast aren't in a terrible position but it's hard to knock the top 5 teams, Swans and Cats are pro's, Dogs, Giants on the rise, Adelaide pretty well place. Hawthorn get the benefit of the doubt on their changes. North are rebuilding and most sides outside the 8 have made improvements and are on a pretty clear path. The Eagles are one team that are hard to place next year. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have them anywhere between 4th and 14th on the ladder.
Without Naitanui in 2017, I'd consider winning a final a success. That would be an improvement on 2016, without our most important player.

After Academy/Father Son selections, it was initially Pick 23. This means the pick we traded Redden for was pushed back to mid 20's. Maybe it wasn't First Round but we had our first pick only 4 or 5 spots from the Redden pick. It was essentially Redden for Rosa and a slight pick downgrade in the mid 20's and later in the draft.
Don't think so.

We used the pick we received for Rosa to select Tom Cole.

Our first pick, which we used on Partington, was the one we got back from Sydney, in return for picks 36 and 37 (our existing second-rounder and the Selwood compo).

So it was more like Redden + Jetta + pick 23 + pick 31 for pick 17 + Sinclair + pick 36 + Selwood + Rosa.

Last edited:
Drew Petrie. Ha ha. What a waste of a pick. Much better off taking a punt on a young player, absolute joke recruiting mitchell and Petrie for one year. After the flogging in the Elimination Final by the dogs you would think Eagles recruiting staff would have more balls than that. Set for another finals debacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew Petrie. Ha ha. What a waste of a pick. Much better off taking a punt on a young player, absolute joke recruiting mitchell and Petrie for one year. After the flogging in the Elimination Final by the dogs you would think Eagles recruiting staff would have more balls than that. Set for another finals debacle.
Didn't you guys just recruit Travis Cloke?

So what? Is 34 the magic number?

Cloke looked every bit as cooked as Petrie.

However, he came cheap and could address a short-term need. Just like Petrie.

Big difference between 29 and 34 mate. Cloke still showed at times just how valuable he can be whereas Petrie had no impact what so ever. A coach like Beveridge is capable of lifting Cloke to new levels whereas Simpson has been unable to get the best out of his unit, as evidenced by pathetic performances in finals, which indicate the players were not prepared mentally. Playing at home, with wins behind them, the Eagles were absolutely destroyed by a side who wanted it more.

Don't think so.

We used the pick we received for Rosa to select Tom Cole.

Our first pick, which we used on Partington, was the one we got back from Sydney, in return for picks 36 and 37 (our existing second-rounder and the Selwood compo).

So it was more like Redden + Jetta + pick 23 + pick 31 for pick 17 + Sinclair + pick 36 + Selwood + Rosa.
Ah yes. We also got Giles for a minor pick downgrade from 57 to 62, who is on a similar level or minor downgrade on Sinclair, depending on who you ask.
So it essentially looks like Giles for Sinclair,
6 spot first round downgrade for 5 spot second round upgrade and Redden/Jetta for Selwood/Rosa, who had injury issues and played 5/15 games last season.

It's definitely not a win unless Redden/Jetta all of a sudden come good, but it's more about the opportunity cost of what we could have done, rather than we gave up our drafting position.

Big difference between 29 and 34 mate.
That depends entirely on the player, doesn't it?

Players can be cooked at 30. While Sam Mitchell won a B&F going on 34.

Cloke still showed at times just how valuable he can be
Really? He was struggling to get a game and Collingwood basically let him walk at season's end.

A coach like Beveridge is capable of lifting Cloke to new levels whereas Simpson has been unable to get the best out of his unit, as evidenced by pathetic performances in finals, which indicate the players were not prepared mentally. Playing at home, with wins behind them, the Eagles were absolutely destroyed by a side who wanted it more.
Can't have it both ways, champ.

Both players came cheap. Both players fill a short-term need.

Results from last year's finals series don't make the argument one way or the other.

Last edited:
Ah yes. We also got Giles for a minor pick downgrade from 57 to 62, who is on a similar level or minor downgrade on Sinclair, depending on who you ask.
So it essentially looks like Giles for Sinclair
Sorry what? That wasn't the trade.

6 spot first round downgrade for 5 spot second round upgrade and Redden/Jetta for Selwood/Rosa, who had injury issues and played 5/15 games last season.
And we gave up Sinclair as well.

It's definitely not a win unless Redden/Jetta all of a sudden come good, but it's more about the opportunity cost of what we could have done, rather than we gave up our drafting position.
I don't know what that means.

Sorry what? That wasn't the trade.

And we gave up Sinclair as well.

I don't know what that means.
My original point was that we didn't give up our drafting position to bring these players in. I know that wasn't literally the trade made, I was looking at the net ins/outs and there are replacements for everything given up. When I say Opportunity Cost, I mean we could have used to picks to chase better players or hit the draft harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back