West Coast underachieved the last two years, always had this in them

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Really dumb of Walls and others on this forum suggesting we'd fall off.

Most of the breakout 2015 team core is still here. More matured, primed. Free agency pieces like Yeo, Jetta, Redden took time to find their feet.

2016 we never hit our top gear, sleepwalked through the season, still finished 16-6... Let the eventual premiers run us off our own park.

2017 we finished 12-10 but we blew so many games my god. We were firmly set in the top 4 9 or so rounds in. Choked a ridiculous amount of games. Just like 2016 we turned it on the last round or so, managed to beat Adelaide (like 2016), pipped the finals spot from Melbourne, stole an OT elimination game, got boomed by GWS.

The talent was always there we just lacked a few elements that made us vulnerable, particularly on the rebound attacks. Lacked speed in the middle and upfront, not enough small forward defensive pressure. Allowed teams to create and burn us off the half-back counters.

Adam Simpson made some bold moves in the offseason, to trust the youth, drafting Liam Ryan and committing to an out of shape Willie Rioli. Letting Priddis retire, Mitchell out, allowing others like Redden, Sheed to take a bigger role.

My general feel is this gave us more speed across all three lines, more ball pressure defensively... Subtle, just enough to get the ball moving from A to B fast enough so our talented contested marking talls can take advantage of open paddocks and one outs instead of flooded midfields and backlines.

Rioli and Ryan brought FWD pressure that LeCras and Cripps don't. It's a good 4 man small FWD tandem to be honest. You need high energy like Rioli and Ryan, and you need crafty goal sneak opportunists like LeCras and Cripps. All about balance.

We have the most balanced team across all 3 areas on the field. At full strength in 2019 I like our chances of making back to the grand final.

Really dumb of Walls and others on this forum suggesting we'd fall off.

Most of the breakout 2015 team core is still here. More matured, primed. Free agency pieces like Yeo, Jetta, Redden took time to find their feet.

2016 we never hit our top gear, sleepwalked through the season, still finished 16-6... Let the eventual premiers run us off our own park.

2017 we finished 12-10 but we blew so many games my god. We were firmly set in the top 4 9 or so rounds in. Choked a ridiculous amount of games. Just like 2016 we turned it on the last round or so, managed to beat Adelaide (like 2016), pipped the finals spot from Melbourne, stole an OT elimination game, got boomed by GWS.

The talent was always there we just lacked a few elements that made us vulnerable, particularly on the rebound attacks. Lacked speed in the middle and upfront, not enough small forward defensive pressure. Allowed teams to create and burn us off the half-back counters.

Adam Simpson made some bold moves in the offseason, to trust the youth, drafting Liam Ryan and committing to an out of shape Willie Rioli. Letting Priddis retire, Mitchell out, allowing others like Redden, Sheed to take a bigger role.

My general feel is this gave us more speed across all three lines, more ball pressure defensively... Subtle, just enough to get the ball moving from A to B fast enough so our talented contested marking talls can take advantage of open paddocks and one outs instead of flooded midfields and backlines.

Rioli and Ryan brought FWD pressure that LeCras and Cripps don't. It's a good 4 man small FWD tandem to be honest. You need high energy like Rioli and Ryan, and you need crafty goal sneak opportunists like LeCras and Cripps. All about balance.

We have the most balanced team across all 3 areas on the field. At full strength in 2019 I like our chances of making back to the grand final.

I'm iffy about back to back. On one hand I think we were great, played with a lot of grit, but have a few deficiencies. The standard this year wasn't the best. Otoh I can't see any teams improving dramatically next year, except maybe Melbourne or Adelaide if we get it together. Reckon West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, Adelaide the only realistic chances at this stage.

I'm iffy about back to back. On one hand I think we were great, played with a lot of grit, but have a few deficiencies. The standard this year wasn't the best. Otoh I can't see any teams improving dramatically next year, except maybe Melbourne or Adelaide if we get it together. Reckon West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, Adelaide the only realistic chances at this stage.
Teams seem to have one really good year then injuries and circumstance always play a factor the next year. It's extremely hard to win, let alone back to back.

Not sure we can go back to back. Expect a few trades/ retirements from Best 22 players in the off-season, plus its hard enough to win at the G as an interstate side, doing it twice in a row would be a herculean effort.

I reckon we'll still play finals next year. If we go Premiers in 2019 we would need to be incredibly lucky as well as incredibly good.

Brisbane and Hawthorn have given everyone a skewed sense of quality.

A failure to win multiple premierships doesn't mean you're average or got lucky, it just means that those teams were exceptional and things fell in place for them.

A single premiership is a massive achievement. Let's not devalue it with expectations of multiples.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some really average sides have won the flag the last 3 years

I wouldnt suggest any of those 3 teams were average; just not particularly dominant. In my opinion this is great for the competition, a lot more parity and a lot more situations were unlikely teams become premiers just like the last 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar to Richmond 2017 and Bulldogs 2016, I don't see West Coast 2018 as being unbeatably dominant the following season. They'll obviously be right up there, but back-to-back is no certainty.

I wouldnt suggest any of those 3 teams were average; just not particularly dominant. In my opinion this is great for the competition, a lot more parity and a lot more situations were unlikely teams become premiers just like the last 3.

Yeah, not having a dominant team is IMO a sign of a stronger league and season, not a weaker one.

It is very difficult to win a flag and to some extent chance plays a huge part in it. I don't think Eagles would have beaten Richmond, were probably lucky Collingwood played their grand final the week before.

But, everyone who has won a flag has benefited by chance.

Funnily enough, their team on paper for the 2015 grand final is arguably a lot stronger than their premiership winning side yesterday. The difference is that the systems they have in place now can out perform just having a 'better' team by name (i.e more stars).
Perhaps if the Eagles went into 2015 with their current side of 22 solid contributors they may have gotten a lot closer to Hawthorn. I feel back then there was an expectation that Nic Nat, Gaff, Shuey, Kennedy and Priddis would just get it done. Yesterday Shuey lead from the front and everyone else contributed. Sheed was next level. Rioli and Ryan were the missing pieces from 2015. Gov is an even better player now.
When Clarko mentioned that 'system based' overrode 'tactics' or starpower, I feel like this is exactly what he meant. Just seeing both these teams in the grand final with a chance of winning all day proves it.

I think most Eagles fans would have learned their lessons from 2006, when dynasty suggestions were bandied around (from neutrals as well, not completely our fault, but still).

Maybe in 2015, but in 2018 we have a few guys in (or nearing) the twilight of their careers, as well as some potential free agency. We've just got it enjoy this one as the opportunity it was fully taken.

I think most would agree, then & now, that we were one of those sides capable of winning in 2016 & 2017 if we played to our potential, although I don't know if I'd call it underachieving exactly. 2018 saw us at our most clutch since 2011, we had resolve that carried us to the flag.

It is very difficult to win a flag and to some extent chance plays a huge part in it. I don't think Eagles would have beaten Richmond, were probably lucky Collingwood played their grand final the week before.

But, everyone who has won a flag has benefited by chance.

We beat pies 3 out of 3 times this year and twice at the G. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Easily the best team all year. Thrashed Richmond, beat Collingwood three times - twice at the G, thrashed the fairytale Demons, won 10 in a row with key players missing, lost Naitanui, Gaff, Darling and Kennedy for long periods of the season (and Sheppard for the GF). Proved 'em all wrong.

#keepsleepin

1538212746812_GKB1RR8CH.2-2.jpg

Brisbane and Hawthorn have given everyone a skewed sense of quality.

A failure to win multiple premierships doesn't mean you're average or got lucky, it just means that those teams were exceptional and things fell in place for them.

A single premiership is a massive achievement. Let's not devalue it with expectations of multiples.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Everyone thought Hawthorn were lucky in 08, till a more mature side went 3 in a row.

Lucky or average teams don't win flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back