Game Day West Coast V Adelaide Friday March 3rd 4.40PM @ MRP

Remove this Banner Ad

I could see Culley playing a full game in the two's as almost a good thing. He must be viewed as a full time mid and there was no value in him sitting on an extended bench while they played the old brigade first.

The oldies were poor, so he's fit and ready to come in for a full game in midfield.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the stats for our groundball differential for yesterdays match?

Watching the highlights replay and some of the umpiring was genuinely bad. Is there any other sport that will give you such an adjudicated advantage as a free kick right in front of your goal to score? Back 50 free kicks are just so costly for us.

That Duggan free kick for holding the ball in the last was surely not HTB if what I viewed for 3/4 prior is correct. Reckon they'll calm down on that a bit as the season goes on, but you're better off not trying to take possession these days.

Watching the highlights replay and some of the umpiring was genuinely bad. Is there any other sport that will give you such an adjudicated advantage as a free kick right in front of your goal to score? Back 50 free kicks are just so costly for us.

That Duggan free kick for holding the ball in the last was surely not HTB if what I viewed for 3/4 prior is correct. Reckon they'll calm down on that a bit as the season goes on, but you're better off not trying to take possession these days.
Was terrible.

There was one where the WCE player got pinged(Duggan?) Immediately with no prior, then 3 times in a row the Crows had a player tackled with far more opportunity that didn't get a free, followed by the Hurn 50m.

Crowd was ropeable.

The one that stood out to me was Sloane keeps his hands free, gets tackled and doesn't dispose of it and gets called ball up. 1 minute later Hurn gets his armed pinned in a great tackle and gets called. Both were holding the ball, I genuinely do not understand why they didn't call the Sloane one and it's the inconsistency that drives me nuts.

The WC eagles looked slow against Adelaide & no fast ball movement. Ginbey showed glimpes & should be a lock for round 1. But it was very poor in the backline. And what the F*** we need to hold our positions a bit(lot) more the forward line was in the backline most of the time. Lets open the game up so we can have a chance of running the ball out of defence, we are to blocked up in the midfield with all our forwards lingering around the wings or CFB.

Last years ladder Adelaide 14th and showed WCE how to play yes the umpiring was poor but it wouldnt have helped us in any way. We just played very poorly

Seeing the crows fitness and impact of Burgess, I am really hoping by this time next year we are saying similar things about Kilgallon. It takes more than 1 preseason to get fit enough for AFL and is no surprise that the Crows are looking stronger.

I think last night's game told us more about the Crows than us.

It's their second year under Darren Burgess and they look primed like all his sides. Super fit and strong, they just blew us out the water early and superior fitness late they slammed on goals. They really put pressure on our transition which impacted disposal and defenders were right on our fwds hammer. They regularly out numbered us on the ground.
I think they'll see big improvement this year. They're also a few years ahead of us in the rebuild, on the way back up where we are still a few years at the bottom. Crows beat Freo too, and apparently started really slowly last week.

We'll improve YoY, but still be bottom 6.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WC eagles looked slow against Adelaide & no fast ball movement. Ginbey showed glimpes & should be a lock for round 1. But it was very poor in the backline. And what the F*** we need to hold our positions a bit(lot) more the forward line was in the backline most of the time. Lets open the game up so we can have a chance of running the ball out of defence, we are to blocked up in the midfield with all our forwards lingering around the wings or CFB.

I'm glad you prefaced Eagles with WC otherwise I may of confused them with the Philadelphia Eagles.

At the end of the day we have Kelly, Sheed and Gaff as our midfield seniors. They are all some combination of slow, weak and apathetic. Not a leaders bunghole amongst them.

Shueys body is cooked and if we try and use him as anything more than a pinch hitter he will break.

Yeo is one man.

Our backs and forward are going to struggle to look like they have any clue when the glue of the side is completely outmatched.

We have some green shoots but we are a few years away and need more quality reinforcements

At the end of the day we have Kelly, Sheed and Gaff as our midfield seniors. They are all some combination of slow, weak and apathetic. Not a leaders bunghole amongst them.

Shueys body is cooked and if we try and use him as anything more than a pinch hitter he will break.

Yeo is one man.

Our backs and forward are going to struggle to look like they have any clue when the glue of the side is completely outmatched.

We have some green shoots but we are a few years away and need more quality reinforcements
Don't disagree

But that's depressing

We need to nail the drafts in the next 3 years. No Kelly farm trades.

Not many positives out of a ten goal loss yesterday but he’s a few.

Ginbey looks good. Hard to know his ceiling just yet but can tell from just that game he’s not a bust pick.

Jamieson continues to improve

Chesser has been good considering it’s really his first year. Hopefully he stays on the park

We looked fitter and leaner as a group compared to last year.

Was a depressing watch as it seemed 2022 all over again but with more players apparently fully fit compared to the injury riddled team last year.

After the Crows game the headline read "The Eagles Target Getting Better" This sounds like the words of 2022 - "We must get better". The club article went on to say "The West Coast Eagles will look to extract every possible centimetre of improvement in the next fortnight as they strive to be ready for a round one challenge against North Melbourne.......Hmm, they'll need to.

Crows looked primed+pumped for a big season, ready to roll and super fit. How many seasons have they been working on their game plan and strategies and recruiting = since Nicks joined in 2019?
They've been around the bottom for awhile and got some good picks.
How long have we been working on a new/tweaked game plan = since roughly halfway through a disastrous season last year?

So given last years 'crash+burn' with injuries and ongoing fitness problems, it's no easy feat to address the returning injured, to implement a new fitness program, get everyone fitter with endurance as a base, and push ahead with a new game plan (the first full preseason opportunity to do so). They've had to turn everything around in one offseason. Unlike the Crows, who are now on the hunt upwards.

This may go someway to explaining the difference in performances yesterday.
Yes, it looks like the same old game in parts, but there were noticeable changes trying to be implemented.
The team and package is not there yet obviously, and there were some disappointing individual results, but it appears they were more concerned with managing players fitness and game time (as you would be given last season), with an eye on round 1. Regardless, some seniors are playing their last season.
Within that framework, the coach is trying for a win and the players are trying to get the best out of themselves.

The Crows are on another level, at another stage entirely, in seek+destroy mode. Simmo was handed a coaching lesson also.
This is all just a long-winded way of saying there's a fair chance, it will be a different team and resolve playing in round 1. (including Culley)(maybe Hough/Bazzo). No talk of winning yet, but we might witness the unveiling of our embryonic future...baby steps. (yep, will need key draft picks+speedsters)

Last edited:
I suppose there was that sack simmo thread at the start of '18, from memory.
It wasn’t a sack simmo thread and it was from before 2018

Last edited:
No work no hope I am afraid. No work without the ball at all early on, beaten man on man. Tight man on man defending by the Crows upset a team of lazy individuals.

Lack gut runners in a team that is relatively slow and not highly skilled = get killed on the spread by the oppo and can't get space to deliver effectively into the fwd line.

If no Darling in the early games, poor OA is going to get battered b/n pillar and post unless we can find another tall to sit fwd in the pocket and at least take some pressure off him (he's a spud but but perhaps the only answer is Baily Williams).

Bet JK is not regretting retirement!

Lack gut runners in a team that is relatively slow and not highly skilled = get killed on the spread by the oppo and can't get space to deliver effectively into the fwd line.

If no Darling in the early games, poor OA is going to get battered b/n pillar and post unless we can find another tall to sit fwd in the pocket and at least take some pressure off him (he's a spud but but perhaps the only answer is Baily Williams).

Bet JK is not regretting retirement!
Not big on Williams but if he can give the effort/intensity of a jamo, he’d be actually good service up forward. He’s athletic, mobile and big enough where if gets going a bit it means that the opposition has to send one of their main kpd’s to him and that allows JD/OA a miss match or even a allows them to actually have fair contests without the worry of a good third man coming into halve/win a contest.

Not even close.

You want melts, go check out the Port board Freo game.

Preseason melts, the sequel v Freo was better than the original, lol. They should be up there with the better teams but just...........aren't.

But Ken has hosed down pre-season concerns and reckons they will turn it around for round 1 against Brissie

1677906066350.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back