Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Which rivalry is better?!?

I like the Collingwood rivalry better as it dates to the 1990 Qualifying Final when it all began as well as Malthouse leaving us in '99 to join the Pies. The Sydney Rivalry was in the 00s with several games decided by under a kick (4, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1) between 2005 and 2007.

I hated Sydney back then, still do. Boring shitty defensive style of footy that would just kill games, lead by Roos who I think is a massive flog.

Collingwood I hated back in the early 90’s but was just a kid then. I actually have a bit of respect for the 2018-19 version. I used to hate Bucks but think he has done really well and turned himself into a decent coach by learning from his shortcomings. Even Eddie was pretty respectful after the GF. The only flog I really hate is Maynard

Happily this rivalry is a lot more one sided. Should've been 5-0 in the last 5 meetings but oh well. A ton of close, important games though. There seemed a bit more feeling in the Sydney/West Coast rivalry. I'd say the rivalry still kinda continues today, as they continue to trouble us.

2007 still hurts to think about
We sat top 2 almost all year until Port arsed some close wins and beat us to 2nd. Then we played Port in Adelaide in a QF and blew a winning position after Cousins did his hamstring at 3qtr time. Lost that game by a goal. Then Collingwood beat us in extra time while we were missing Judd, Cousins and Kerr, with Ash Hansen our leading goal scorer that year doing a hammy in the first quarter. I still remember Daisy Thomas' cocky celebration after kicking the winning score. That year ended with Judd leaving to Victoria, Cousins being sacked after criminal charges were files against him for drug possession, and club legend Mainwaring overdosing. The most painful year as an Eagles supporter.

Easily Sydney.

For there to be real rivalry you both need to have scored significant victories against each other. Collingwood beat us in a close home game. It sucks but its hardly the end of the world.

Sydney took a FLAG from us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney hasn't been a thing for 10 years tbh. Collingwood are the quintessential Vic team (next to Carlton) for mine. They have a reputation for being rough, uneducated bogans and ridiculously parochial but also more passionate and community oriented that most clubs. There's also far fewer Magpies supporters in the West as well, as opposed to Blues supporters which were really the WA "team in absentia" pre 1987 (especially in the Italian and Greek communities down south). Less exposure to the Pies.

WC supporters see ourselves as the exact opposite of Collingwood fans. We are all chardonnay drinking, semi-affluent country kids who's parents have a house near Margs, and who's grandparents dined with the Governor on the weekends. Nothing could be further from the the truth...but it's the story we tell ourselves.

It's a shame when the derby is put on such a high horse by the media, most WC supporters don't see Freo as a main rivalry at all. Most of my mates look East to the "Big V" as a rivalry, and usually get more passionate about it. Us v them mentality just feels natural, and a fair bit more fun when we win.

Sydney, Essendon and Collingwood have all been great, fun rivalries at one point. It's Collingwood probably for me atm, easy to dislike...but relativity hard to hate...which makes watching the footy a little healthier for me (as opposed to Sydney who I couldn't stand from any perspective during the mid 2000's).

In saying all that, I'm not really super 'passionate' about any rivalry at the moment.

WC supporters see ourselves as the exact opposite of Collingwood fans. We are all chardonnay drinking, semi-affluent country kids who's parents have a house near Margs, and who's grandparents dined with the Governor on the weekends. Nothing could be further from the the truth...but it's the story we tell ourselves.

No that's what freo say about us. I highly doubt any West coast fan would think that.

No that's what freo say about us. I highly doubt any West coast fan would think that.
I dunno...I like a Chardy/SSB every now and then. I won't be taking a cheese board to the footy any time soon...but ya know

I'm more getting at how we see other teams v how others see us when in reality all fans are bit bogan, rough and parochial.

VFL perpetuated myth: so they can seem more "working class Australian yada yada" - because apparently being wealthy and / or educated is seen as some sort of sin in Australian "I'm the convict descendent / working class VB drinker" narrative s**t that I see people claiming as their own. It's rubbish and it's very binary - Australia is a melting pot of all races / socio-economic classes. Especially Perth.

WCE fans are made up of a huge mixture. My family are immigrants from Zimbabwe, I'm far from your quintessential "Australian" chardonnay country kid. That's rubbish and it's also rubbish for the vast majority of WCE supporters I know. To add, most teams have a bogan following, an "upper-crust" following etc. just like most sports teams around the world really.

On the topic of rivalry: I'll take Collingwood over Sydney: we generally beat Collingwood. Sydney have our number very often and in my eyes, are by far a superior team when we play them. Just compare this weeks game, to our game against Sydney. Which opposition team played a silkier, smoother and more dangerous footy? Of course there are loads of variables involved.. but the Sydney rivalry scares me. This team isn't as good as 2006 in terms of playing against the Sydney style of footy. Then again, maybe 2006 Eagles would have trouble putting away this era of Collingwood.

It's an interesting question..

Sydney games were closer over a condensed period, and some massive finals amongst them. Pies have sort of always been there in our finals series’ getting in our way a fair few times 90, 94, 11, 12, 18) heaps of respect for Pies after last year, all class from the club and supporters alike. Swans fans aren’t even real footy fans and I’ve had very little to do with any genuine ones, whereas know a few pies supporters, and they’re genuine footy fans who love their team. Feels more like a proper footy rivalry with the Pies, maybe moreso because they’re a big Vic club and we’re the dominant interstate side over the journey.

1990 Drawn Qualifying final with a lost replay
1992 1 point H&A loss
1994 2 point QF win
2003 win away was an important one for that premiership group. Down by 16 points with about 10 minutes to go. Andrew Embley finally started believing he could be a decent footballer.
2007 extra time SF loss
2011 competitive QF loss
2012 competitive SF loss
2014 run over at the MCG
2018- MCG hoodoo over, close QF, the GF
2019- A ripper of a game at the MCG and a 1 point loss in Perth

We had a great period with Sydney, but over the course of history, the Pies have been in the road a lot of times. I think of them like Essendon, but I don't hate them so much.

1990 Drawn Qualifying final with a lost replay
1992 1 point H&A loss
1994 2 point QF win
2003 win away was an important one for that premiership group. Down by 16 points with about 10 minutes to go. Andrew Embley finally started believing he could be a decent footballer.
2007 extra time SF loss
2011 competitive QF loss
2012 competitive SF loss
2014 run over at the MCG
2018- MCG hoodoo over, close QF, the GF
2019- A ripper of a game at the MCG and a 1 point loss in Perth

We had a great period with Sydney, but over the course of history, the Pies have been in the road a lot of times. I think of them like Essendon, but I don't hate them so much.

imo one of the best away wins in the clubs history, twas a classic match that one.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see anything pre-2018 as relevant to the current Collingwood rivalry.

Obviously I can't claim neutrality but I think WC vs Collingwood provides fans with watchable football. 2018 QF and GF were highlights of an otherwise pretty boring finals series.

Sure Collingwood if you consider other timeframes as one sort of ongoing rivalry. I dont personally. We have had some down times in that period.
Sydney were far more annoying. Boring as bat s**t game style and hoping Goodes did something miraculous while scragging, sragging & scragging summed up by the marking contest at the end of '05 GF. Cloning Adam Schneider to have 2 annoying half forwards that were just campaigners.

Over the journey I hate "Essadon" more but Sydney are now a closing second with this SCG run they have against us.

I hated Sydney back then, still do. Boring s**tty defensive style of footy that would just kill games, lead by Roos who I think is a massive flog.

Collingwood I hated back in the early 90’s but was just a kid then. I actually have a bit of respect for the 2018-19 version. I used to hate Bucks but think he has done really well and turned himself into a decent coach by learning from his shortcomings. Even Eddie was pretty respectful after the GF. The only flog I really hate is Maynard
Why the hate for Maynard, he was great for us in the last 5 minutes of the GF

Sure Collingwood if you consider other timeframes as one sort of ongoing rivalry. I dont personally. We have had some down times in that period.
Sydney were far more annoying. Boring as bat s**t game style and hoping Goodes did something miraculous while scragging, sragging & scragging summed up by the marking contest at the end of '05 GF. Cloning Adam Schneider to have 2 annoying half forwards that were just campaigners.

Over the journey I hate "Essadon" more but Sydney are now a closing second with this SCG run they have against us.
Imagine if Sydney didn't have their forward line.

Hall, O'loughlin, Davis, Schneider and O'Keefe floating through there was a lot of talent. They wouldn't have got away with their game style if they didn't have that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back