Remove this Banner Ad

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Surprised by the reactions in this thread tbh. Not much point being the richest club in the league if there isn't a league left.
I think the thing is we should have a fair amount of power going forward now to force some change (if the entire league doesn’t fold). Still think between us, Adelaide, Freo, Port, Brisbane and the big Vic clubs we could manage to start again if it came to that.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This was another thread:

Took this thread from the Port board dealing with the effect going forward through the focus of the club.

Obviously the Eagles are in better shape than most & any sane thinking fan knows the reasons why - other clubs arent that lucky, our business model, our management, Perth Stadium ... lets not turn this thread into rah rah Eagles/the other mob are hopeless Bay 13 style rant.

Quoting Gil:
The AFL industry is facing its biggest financial crisis in our history. But our key priority was to do everything possible to keep players, staff, and supporters healthy and well through this pandemic.

Our industry provides livelihoods for thousands and thousands of people. But our key focus at the moment – like every organisation in the country – is to do everything that needs to be done to help slow the spread of this virus and to keep people as healthy as possible

To say that this is the most serious threat to our game in 100 years is an understatement. It is unprecedented in its impact. It is unprecedented in the impact it is having on our game and the wider community. And as a community and as a code, we all need to take the unprecedented and required actions to get through this together.

I know that everyone involved in our game and our millions of supporters will be impacted by this decision and that many people will suffer significant hardship, as are people right across the community. But I also know that we all have a responsibility to the community and each other and we have the will to work collectively to overcome this crisis.

We were given advice by the Government and the Chief Medical Officers that it was right to start the season. But that advice also included that our season would be paused at some stage.

It was the right decision to start the season and today clearly it is now the right decision to stop. That is why we have acted immediately to take this step to play our role in the community and to protect the long-term future of our game.

Our focus over the coming days is working with the clubs to embed the medical protocols provided, to finalise the operating model for the clubs during the temporary suspension period and to work with out funding partners, to secure a line of credit, to fund cash shortfalls across the industry, while allowing the best possible chance for a return to football matches.

An alternative fixture based on a season of remaining 144 games, plus finals, will also be worked on over the coming weeks.

I want to thank the Federal and State and Territory Governments for their advice and support over the past few weeks. And I want to thank the whole football community, including broadcast and corporate partners of the AFL and clubs, our members and our supporters – for their support and understanding in what has been an unprecedented time in the game’s history.

I especially want to thank our staff, who have been tireless in working with everyone across football through this issue.

The only way that footy can find a way through is to continue to be agile, flexible and – most importantly – united.

Where to from here?
The Eagles, the game, the WAFL, next year & the next 10 years.

Can the AFL simply look to sit this out & move on as if nothing has happened?

Last edited:

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Took this thread from the Port board dealing with the effect going forward through the focus of the club.

Obviously the Eagles are in better shape than most & any sane thinking fan knows the reasons why - other clubs arent that lucky, our business model, our management, Perth Stadium ... lets not turn this thread into rah rah Eagles/the other mob are hopeless Bay 13 style rant.

Quoting Gil:
The AFL industry is facing its biggest financial crisis in our history. But our key priority was to do everything possible to keep players, staff, and supporters healthy and well through this pandemic.

Our industry provides livelihoods for thousands and thousands of people. But our key focus at the moment – like every organisation in the country – is to do everything that needs to be done to help slow the spread of this virus and to keep people as healthy as possible

To say that this is the most serious threat to our game in 100 years is an understatement. It is unprecedented in its impact. It is unprecedented in the impact it is having on our game and the wider community. And as a community and as a code, we all need to take the unprecedented and required actions to get through this together.

I know that everyone involved in our game and our millions of supporters will be impacted by this decision and that many people will suffer significant hardship, as are people right across the community. But I also know that we all have a responsibility to the community and each other and we have the will to work collectively to overcome this crisis.

We were given advice by the Government and the Chief Medical Officers that it was right to start the season. But that advice also included that our season would be paused at some stage.

It was the right decision to start the season and today clearly it is now the right decision to stop. That is why we have acted immediately to take this step to play our role in the community and to protect the long-term future of our game.

Our focus over the coming days is working with the clubs to embed the medical protocols provided, to finalise the operating model for the clubs during the temporary suspension period and to work with out funding partners, to secure a line of credit, to fund cash shortfalls across the industry, while allowing the best possible chance for a return to football matches.

An alternative fixture based on a season of remaining 144 games, plus finals, will also be worked on over the coming weeks.

I want to thank the Federal and State and Territory Governments for their advice and support over the past few weeks. And I want to thank the whole football community, including broadcast and corporate partners of the AFL and clubs, our members and our supporters – for their support and understanding in what has been an unprecedented time in the game’s history.

I especially want to thank our staff, who have been tireless in working with everyone across football through this issue.

The only way that footy can find a way through is to continue to be agile, flexible and – most importantly – united.

Where to from here?
The Eagles, the game, the WAFL, next year & the next 10 years.

Can the AFL simply look to sit this out & move on as if nothing has happened?

Can the AFL do that - yes
Will the AFL do that - ???
Should the AFL do that, this to me is the interesting question.

There are quite a number of clubs, led by the expansion clubs, who are not financially viable on their own. Now one could argue that the NRL isn't as viable as the AFL as it isn't truly national (cue laughter from those here who like to often reference it as the VFL still), so the expansion clubs are critical in that sense - but I'm not so sure.

Add to that the fact that many of the Victorian clubs are only financially viable because of the pokies (which, lets be honest, are a terrible, terrible thing for society as a whole - although particularly financially rewarding for the owners) - and the story gets more interesting.

If a third of the league are either not financially viable, or not viable without decimating society, then surely a significant change in the way things operate should be looked at (and a shock like this will hopefully be the catalyst to look at and hopefully change some things)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
the eagles need to be just as prudent as everyone else

No they don't. The Eagles have cash reserves many times larger than most club's.

What's the point in having cash reserves if you don't use them to advantage.

The AFL has already lowered the soft cap across the board. Basically saying the Eagles will spend the same as everyone. To bad if you can afford more.

How will that work with players and the salary cap?

Not simple.

What's that fable? The mouse and the cricket, or some such? Where the mouse gathers provisions all summer long while the cricket f***s about enjoying himself. Winter hits then ruh-roh, the cricket is f***d. Luckily the mouse has a big heart and takes him in.

Stupid mouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty sure the AFL pays for travel.

Yeah they do, I probably didn't articulate it as well as I wanted - there are significant burdens on the players and club that sit around the additional travel (extra trainers, potentially needing full-time staff where other clubs can get away with part time, etc, etc, etc). This isn't accounted for by the AFL and fits into the soft cap. I guess similarly the additional cost of living in Sydney isn't accounted for in the soft-cap either, but I was looking at it from a WC point of view.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
many of the Victorian clubs are only financially viable because of the pokies

Its not only the pokies, its clubs seeking other sources of income, business comes with risk as many small business operators very well.

I see the Eagles have investments - they lost $800k on investments in one year of the GFC (if my memory stacks up)
From the 2019 Annual Report:

6. INVESTMENTS
Financial assets – at fair value (i)
2019 $ 35,294,804
2018 $ 32,536,128

The Tigers have gone into leisure, i.e gyms & pools management with 50+ employees. All closed, are the staff being paid?
( note thats not any implied criticism of Richmond)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Sorry to double up, the Covid 19 title tends to draw irrelevant posts, but - all good. Was looking at the business aspects from an Eagles viewpoint as it related to WA footy, the WAFL, & the AFL : the business of footy nothing to do with Covid19,
thats why its not in the thread title ...

Last edited:

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The AFL won't allow us to pay players and staff while other clubs can't. In return the AFL must cover expenses for all clubs equally.

Any reserves held by WCE and Freo should only be used to help local football. (WAFL/Amateurs/Country/Women's/Junior etc.)

Don't send a cent outside WA.

We already contribute more than our fair share (through the WAFC). Any further assistance should only come with some strings attached.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
No they don't. The Eagles have cash reserves many times larger than most club's.

What's the point in having cash reserves if you don't use them to advantage.

The AFL has already lowered the soft cap across the board. Basically saying the Eagles will spend the same as everyone. To bad if you can afford more.

How will that work with players and the salary cap?

Not simple.

fair enough

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The AFL won't allow us to pay players and staff while other clubs can't. In return the AFL must cover expenses for all clubs equally.

Any reserves held by WCE and Freo should only be used to help local football. (WAFL/Amateurs/Country/Women's/Junior etc.)

When did our staff start playing amateurs?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Nice set of rules .... o_O

The AFL cover paying the players.

'the AFL must cover expenses for all clubs equally' - the AFL do not have the money to cover its liabilities & those of the clubs.
Breaching contracts everywhere, not providing 7 with product, not honouring stadium deals ..... wassamatta !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back