West Coast v Covid 19 - we are better off than most

Remove this Banner Ad

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Their pay is only cut while they are not working - paid fully up to end of the month including preseason training and mandated 8 week leave..
I think it is pretty clear they are both still working, and it would be hard work (either trying to stop the league from folding, or physically preparing yourself for an AFL season that will resume on a date you don't know yet).

I just thought the 20% pay cut for Gil (and execs) looked odd in the face of job losses and what the players are being asked to give up.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it is pretty clear they are both still working, and it would be hard work (either trying to stop the league from folding, or physically preparing yourself for an AFL season that will resume on a date you don't know yet).

I just thought the 20% pay cut for Gil (and execs) looked odd in the face of job losses and what the players are being asked to give up.

Gil slots somewhere in the bottom percentile in this list:

Gil's latest offer is to match the player's in any pay reduction, so expect him to take a 70-80% pay cut.

Dockers just axed around 70% of their staff. They might struggle to stay afloat too.

As for the AFL, the Eagles should keep their profits for themselves. Why would our club bail out the AFL? They made an under the table deal with the Victorian state government to unfairly lock in the Grand Final to the MCG for decades. And they have consistently propped up failing Victorian clubs using our clubs money. The AFL have taken the Eagles for granted and given nothing in return in our entire history, so why should we lend them a hand?

If 4 Prictorian minnow clubs go under i say good riddance.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
As for the AFL, the Eagles should keep their profits for themselves. Why would our club bail out the AFL?

Lets just cut out the AFL "middle man" and approach the clubs directly ourselves. Im sure sides like Norf, St Kilda, Port, etc would jump at an offer of a few million dollars in exchange for a couple of years worth of home games.

If Gil chucks a wobbly then he can either put his hands in in own pockets or watch the underperformers of the league wither.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put me in the camp of happy to support the Dockers financially if they need it but screw the Victorian minnows.
I say we pump money into Freo to keep them alive, in fact enough money to get them all the way into a GF, then pull all funding during GF week and watch them fold the day before they play.

Carlton have had to cut ties with their VFL affiliate and fire their VFL coach Josh Fraser

Edit: I think this means that the Northern Blues will be shut down for good (or at least for now). Club was previously known as Preston and have been around for 138 years.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

The AFL committee average $900k and Gill got $1.7m a couple of years ago.

20% isn't a lot.

Now Gill has matched whatever cut the players take.......for the months affected.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFL now wants money out of WC to help prop the WAFL teams up.

By the end of the year after we give all the money out i can surely see WC now getting 17 home games per year and the AFL GF at Optus if we finish on top.

Also agree we should help Freo out as much as it pains to say that. They are a massive part of WA footy.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFL now wants money out of WC to help prop the WAFL teams up.

By the end of the year after we give all the money out i can surely see WC now getting 17 home games per year and the AFL GF at Optus if we finish on top.

Also agree we should help Freo out as much as it pains to say that. They are a massive part of WA footy.

Honestly I don't think we will get anything out of this situation.

I can see the AFL and WAFC walking away with bags of West Coast cash and us getting nothing in return for it.

Honestly I don't think we will get anything out of this situation.

I can see the AFL and WAFC walking away with bags of West Coast cash and us getting nothing in return for it.

At worst we should be issuing these as loans with interest. If you want our cash reserves than you will have to pay it back over time plus a little extra.

Welcome to the bank of West Coast

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
At worst we should be issuing these as loans with interest. If you want our cash reserves than you will have to pay it back over time plus a little extra.

Welcome to the bank of West Coast
So West Coast are like the Chinese Government. Slowly buy the smaller areas and make more money then eventually but out and kill off Victoria?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back