Unofficial Preview West Coast v Fremantle FEB 27th: Scratch Match **LIVE STREAM SAT 27th FEB 10am

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witherden was solid, and one of the few senior players who played 4 quarters so od have him I'm our best as well.

I think his "bad game" comes down to nuffies on here thinking he can laser a 60m pass onto someone's chest with every kick under pressure in the backline.

He coughed a couple up, and a couple more to a contest were marked by Cockburn, but the rest of his game was fine.

I'm actually impressed with how much of an accumulator he is, that was on show today. Certainly can find the footy, wouldve had 20+ disposals easily.

He also cost us next to nothing and is a young player on the rise.
Agree. He’s never been a Jetta/Hurn laser boot with his kicking.

More like a Jake Lloyd accumulator, distributing cleverly because he has the ability to find himself in space.

He’s not an especially skilful kick but he backs himself regardless, which is what we need sometimes, given Hurn is too afraid to pull the trigger half of the time

Agree. He’s never been a Jetta/Hurn laser boot with his kicking.

More like a Jake Lloyd accumulator, distributing cleverly because he has the ability to find himself in space.

He’s not an especially skilful kick but he backs himself regardless, which is what we need sometimes, given Hurn is too afraid to pull the trigger half of the time
Yeah, it's certainly unreasonable to expect him to replicate one of the best kickers we've seen in the past decade. And even Jetta would bite off too much quite a bit too with clangers here and there.

The Lloyd comparison is a good one. But I really worry in our system whether Witherden's lack of defensive accountability will cost him. He looked gassed and didn't even make an effort a couple of times. We never see that from Cole, Nelson or Rotham. And Jetta's defensive pressure was pretty damn good the last few years.

Really liked Witherden's short kick-in down the middle, with the follow-up handball receive. Getting the receive on the rebound is something we've rarely done.

Good to see Gossage and co have rewritten the man on the mark rule already, apparently if the kicker isn't going to play on you don't need to pay it. :drunk:
Sick of this season already.
I've forgotten do I put my membership card in the microwave or the toaster?

I think he got inside his own head.

He looked nervous with ball in hand, and his decision making wasn't great.

Was also surprised how high and floaty some of his kicks were.

He looked like a new player with a few raps on his kicking looking to impress when maybe the more conservative team option would have been better.

Witherden also needs to and will get fitter.

Good to see Gossage and co have rewritten the man on the mark rule already, apparently if the kicker isn't going to play on you don't need to pay it. :drunk:
Sick of this season already.
I've forgotten do I put my membership card in the microwave or the toaster?

Ask a Richmond or Carlton supporter. Both are known to have done it repeatedly in the past.

Pretty much expecting this given the players we were missing, so I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Additionally, this could potentially be a good omen, since we got smashed by Freo in the preseason in both 2006 and 2018.

I envisage Gossage immediately dropping his mic and heading directly to the snackbar and wolfing down 3 sausage rolls without taking a single breath.

Nope he immediately drove home to devour the Birthday Cake. :shortcake::shortcake::shortcake::shortcake::shortcake:

4th quarter isn't anything exciting, we still suck. Wouldnt rush to watch it.

Brander liftted and got involved more, his effort increased. Kicked his 2nd goal with the last touch of the game. Thought he finished with 3, but nope, 2 I think.

Rest of the quarter belonged to Cockburn, like the first 3.

50m penalty gifted to Allen was a total joke and is being rightly roasted on social media.

Last edited:
It's a scratch match which had nothing on the line for us. We managed players and we'll do so again next week.

If there isn't four points on the line then i'm not worried. No point putting any stocks into pre season apart from hopefully seeing what the younger and fringe players put up. From the sounds of it Rotham, Brander and O'Neill did some nice things and it's not like we're working with much depth in those departments anyway.

Our Best 22 is class and we have a good handful of players to back them when injuries happen.

Barring complete catastrophe with injuries i'm confident top 4 is on the cards this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read that and have to say I was a bit surprised.

Even in he post match interview Graham seemed to suggest coaches didn't feel that Withers was one of the best on either.

What did he actually do in order to get mentioned as one of the best on ground? Honestly, it felt like every time he had ball in hand it led to a turnover.

Maybe it just indicates how bad the rest of the bunch were.

I've seen some people say we don't have a list spot for Waterman given he's a forward now, then I remember Cripps picking up one clean ball since the GF, Petch getting a 3 year extension out of nowhere, and Ah Chee playing nearly every game last year up forward despite playing his best WAFL footy in the middle. That's even before we mention Willie and Venables.

Yeah, no spot indeed.

On the plus side I like Jones and hope he gets a good run in that forward-mid role to start the year.
I thought Jones showed some good signs. Ran in nice straight lines and it was only really the big boys that could move him off his line. Looked much stronger than the cripps/petru type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back