AFLW West Coast v Gold Coast, Mineral Resources Park, 2.10pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a pathetic effort.

I wont bother pointing out AGAIN the structural ineptitude ....... its a cluster *@#%.

TBH only about 10 of our list deserve to keep their spot next season.

Won't name names but some on our list are simply putrid.

As for the recruiting and coaching ..... nope wont bother going there either ........ otherwise its going to be an ugly post.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
If she's any good, why isn't she playing? Injured?
She isnt the sort of player you see in AFLW, very smart, but not hard. Takes her player to the contest, then ducks out the back and picks up the easy kick and goal. Also very skilled, well above average shot at goal, like Howarth. Her issue is, she is probably a bit unsuited to where we are as a team. As a finisher in a forward line with the ball being pumped in she could be a nightmare to handle. However, we are trying to be a pressure team, how do you use a goal sneak whos instinct is to constantly drop into the dangerous space, when your trying to play a contested brand to mask a lack of outside skills?

Personally, this is a development year, they need to see her play, game plan be damned.

jatz14

Your thoughts on our coaching and player development ?

After watching the game today I am as despondent as I have been all season.

I get the development year bit ......... but yet to see a skerrick of improvement/development/ something to get a little excited about going forward.

She isnt the sort of player you see in AFLW, very smart, but not hard. Takes her player to the contest, then ducks out the back and picks up the easy kick and goal. Also very skilled, well above average shot at goal, like Howarth. Her issue is, she is probably a bit unsuited to where we are as a team. As a finisher in a forward line with the ball being pumped in she could be a nightmare to handle. However, we are trying to be a pressure team, how do you use a goal sneak whos instinct is to constantly drop into the dangerous space, when your trying to play a contested brand to mask a lack of outside skills?

Personally, this is a development year, they need to see her play, game plan be damned.
If we are trying to be a pressure team, though, why play a slow spud like McGuire?

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon it was a pretty good effort across the game. Fair few stuff ups too, but people didn't just give up like last week. They put in the hard work all game, particularly when it came to defensive efforts. To keep that up all game is a big turn-around from the second half of last week. The heart is there.

Main problem is still what happens when we get the ball...

But heck, our entire forward line is basically just useless. Scared of the ball, can't kick with any penetration or direction, constant fumbles, blah. Paz looked like our most dangerous player up front today, even though it was evident as she was lining up that she'd shank the 15m kick.

There'll be a handful of forwards at the end of the season who've kicked more goals than our entire team combined.

This prediction deserves some credit. Well played, sir.
She’s a gun mate. Once she develops a tank, look out competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Is that us done for the season then or one more?

Would love to know who actually wins our goal kicking and what their tally is.

Off the top of my head we've probably got a half a dozen players who've kicked a goal, but I can't recall anyone who's kicked more than one. Cameron would be my guess.

Two more games.

Is that us done for the season then or one more?

Would love to know who actually wins our goal kicking and what their tally is.

Off the top of my head we've probably got a half a dozen players who've kicked a goal, but I can't recall anyone who's kicked more than one. Cameron would be my guess.
Bullas has 2 as our only multiple goal kicker for season 2020

Two more games AWAY to Carlton and home to St Kilda - if this season keeps going of course

Today was out best chance to get another W for mine.

Bullas has 2 as our only multiple goal kicker for season 2020

Two more games AWAY to Carlton and home to St Kilda - if this season keeps going of course

Today was out best chance to get another W for mine.

Biggie I have watched a decent number of games across the AFLW this season and we wont come close to either of our next two opponents.

Carlton's going to be ugly, the way they attack with run and carry of their Half Back line will tear us apart.
St Kilda are a much more rounded team than ours.

The only team we look a little better than is Richmond .... and to be honest there is only a cigarette paper in it.

Some hard decisions ahead for the powers to be at the Club.

I knew that we were not going to win many games , however I was hoping that we could at least be competitive ......... sadly we are way of the pace in that regard.

We actually look like we belong in a lower league,both in skill set and game plan.

Can’t argue Monocle - after that win v Dogs it’s been very disappointing to say the least.

Yes we won’t beat Blues or Sts - but * me some improvement in the F50 wouldn’t go astray.

Can’t argue Monocle - after that win v Dogs it’s been very disappointing to say the least.

Yes we won’t beat Blues or Sts - but fu** me some improvement in the F50 wouldn’t go astray.

TBH Mate I am more disappointed in our Coaches and Team selection panel than I am in the players.

The girls are trying and thats been the redeeming thing I love their pluck,but the simple skill errors do my head in..... kicking into the player on the mark, now thats primary school errors.

As for our structures and set ups. :sick: 🤮 🤢
That causes some serious head scratching on my behalf ........... oh and Mrs Monocle tells me I am louder and get, shittier when I watch the gals than I do when I watch the guys.

Have to admit that I did throw the remote a few times this afternoon ....... and the cussing and cursing was pretty bad.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m fuming.

Just yelled out why was Pisco even picked

Chad Morrison - awful selector

She had a good year last year in the WAFLW, (not great), and somehow won the WAFLW b&f. That’s why she was picked, but she is a ruck, not a forward, and we took two other rucks instead of a tall forward like Gilmore, who has been sitting on the sidelines all year.

Last edited:
She had a good year last year in the WAFLW, (not great), and somehow won the WAFLW b&f. That’s why she was picked, but she is a ruck, not a forward, and we took two other ticks instead of a tall forward like Gilmore, who has been sitting on the sidelines all year.
s**t you’re right

Think my anger got the better of me today. Very disappointed

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
TBH Mate I am more disappointed in our Coaches and Team selection panel than I am in the players.

The girls are trying and thats been the redeeming thing I love their pluck,but the simple skill errors do my head in..... kicking into the player on the mark, now thats primary school errors.

As for our structures and set ups. :sick: 🤮 🤢
That causes some serious head scratching on my behalf ........... oh and Mrs Monocle tells me I am louder and get, shittier when I watch the gals than I do when I watch the guys.

Have to admit that I did throw the remote a few times this afternoon ....... and the cussing and cursing was pretty bad.

Unfortunately, that’s is rife in women’s footy at the local level. I’d like to elaborate, but I’d just get attacked for being honest.
s**t you’re right

Think my anger got the better of me today. Very disappointed

It’s understandable that you’re angry. As a club we stand for excellence in all levels, so when a team comes out and performs as badly as our women’s team has, then they deserve to be told that it’s not good enough and held accountable. Unfortunately I’m not sure that’s what’s happening behind closed doors despite what’s being said publicly. There’s a lot of “softly softly” management styles in women’s footy and believe it or not there’s a few egos running around onfield (undeserved in my opinion) too which doesn’t help.
The problem we are stuck with at the moment is that our list is badly constructed as far as forwards go, so we are gonna have to limp over the finish line and hope they fix it for next year. I’m not extremely confident that will happen because of those in charge but we can only wait and see. Like I mentioned early it’s best not to have any expectations and then you might be pleasantly surprised by someone or something. :)

Unfortunately, that’s is rife in women’s footy at the local level. I’d like to elaborate, but I’d just get attacked for being honest.
No you won't. Fire away

Criticism of womans footy, acrross all levels is a touchy subject.

Everything from the commentary who fail to acknowledge atrocious skill errors, instead rather having a long awkward silence. The camera coverage which doesn't show any replays of fluffed kicks and abysmal shots on goal, something which is highlighted, dissected and joked about by the commentary team in the mens league.

"Herp derp what was going on there in the brain department, what was he thinking, worst shot i've ever seen, nearly missed his boot..." etc etc

I think now, with 4 years of AFLW, it would be better for the game if the womans were less mollycoddled and held accountable to bad skills a little bit more.

Since day 1 the general effort and hardness of AFLW has been good, i don't think even the harshest critic could dismiss how hard the girls go. But the skills will always be a talking point unfortunately. Comparing it to the mens is stupid, obviously, but my criticism stems from comparing our skills to other teams skills.

Right now i'd be happy cleaning out half the players on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back