Game Day West Coast vs Cockburn Rd 1 Ansett Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you’re judging Vards a little too harshly there. Remember, he’s more of a forward than a ruckman, and he’s still building into the season after an injury lay-off last year.

Additionally, I don’t think it was fair to say Edwards performed better then him. When Harry came on to ruck, it was at that point in the fourth quarter that Freo actually starting scoring and gaining possession.
I don't think Vardy is much chop at the moment as a ruckman or a forward tbh. Played an amazing season in 2018 and certainly helped us win a premiership but can't help but feel it was a one-off. Just one of those guys who doesn't get a consistent run at it due to injuries.

Fair enough, I know he didn't get to play last year, but I am trying to remember the last good game he played, and I think it might be the Grand Final 2.5 years ago.

Perhaps, but he hasn’t played a game since July 2019, a season and a half. Even I didn’t realise it had been that long, before I checked.

I don't think Vardy is much chop at the moment as a ruckman or a forward tbh. Played an amazing season in 2018 and certainly helped us win a premiership but can't help but feel it was a one-off. Just one of those guys who doesn't get a consistent run at it due to injuries.

And why shouldn’t he be given a chance now? His arrogance level might not be as high as Bailey Williams, but he definitely deserves a chance to show his wares after a year and a half out of the game.

Vardy looks like a guy who hasn’t played for a year. He looks very rusty and out of touch. I haven’t completely given up on him but he needs to regain his confidence and match tempo very quickly.

Perhaps, but he hasn’t played a game since July 2019, a season and a half. Even I didn’t realise it had been that long, before I checked.

And why shouldn’t he be given a chance now? His arrogance level might not be as high as Bailey Williams, but he definitely deserves a chance to show his wares after a year and a half out of the game.
He's likely going to get a chance, I just don't think he's going to make much of it. Just my opinion, would love for him to regain his 2018 form, him playing well and backing up Nic Nat gives us a good shot at a flag this year.

What’s the go with our mystery man Ben Johnson? Didn’t get a run this pre-season? And where’s my man Jarrod Cameron?

No injury list on our website so any info much appreciated

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What’s the go with our mystery man Ben Johnson? Didn’t get a run this pre-season? And where’s my man Jarrod Cameron?

Both still on the way back from OP last year.

Johnson has spent the preseason getting his swole on, adding a good amount of muscle, which should be beneficial to him once he returns to full fitness.

Cameron is still going around the track after being lapped by McGovern at the time trial in January.

Both still on the way back from OP last year.

Johnson has spent the preseason getting his swole on, adding a good amount of muscle, which should be beneficial to him once he returns to full fitness.

Cameron is still going around the track after being lapped by McGovern at the time trial in January.

Thankyou kind sir

Choked on my meal laughing at this.

Fk I hate the current song. Even the previous one was less sh*t.

I actually like the last one - at least you could belt it out at the top of your lungs drunk.

This current one is like warm, organic, soy milk to be served to the home-schooled, only child of new age parents.

I actually like the last one - at least you could belt it out at the top of your lungs drunk.

This current one is like warm, organic, soy milk to be served to the home-schooled, only child of new age parents.
I still don't understand how it got approved. Unless they picked birds of tokyo first and contracted them to make us a song and this is the best they could come up with. It's legitimately embarrassing to have it play at the end of a game

I still don't understand how it got approved. Unless they picked birds of tokyo first and contracted them to make us a song and this is the best they could come up with. It's legitimately embarrassing to have it play at the end of a game

Didn't s**t-birds of Kyoto do 🐓 🔥 's?

Didn't sh*t-birds of Kyoto do 🐓 🔥 's?
I thought Eskimo joe did a version but it didn't get picked.
Either way our shitshow of a song sounds like someone mixed elevator music with a doctors waiting room soundtrack and then threw in a healthy dose of some crap you'd hear in a zen tent at a hippie festival .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That club song is positively teeth-grindingly orgasmic with it's cheesy pop-jingle enthusiasm!?
They'll need to supply boxes of tissues at the stadium for the Fanboi sections of the crowd to wipe themselves down with after every happy-ending rendition..!

I suspect there was a connection between the band and club and they offered to record it as a favour. It is produced well and the club probably thought they had a winner.

What they have completely ignored is that it is absolutely shocking as a footy song.

The primary purpose of a song is to be sung when you win. This version hasn't been written to be sung by the masses at all. They even changed the key at certain parts to be the exact opposite of how most people want to chant it out.

For example, when it gets to "big birds/kings of big game" most people raise their voice toward the end of the line, but this version actually drops a note.

Scrap it and bring back the 80s version.

They just don't have any idea how the song should be set up post game.

The didgeridoo and tapping sticks is good in the build up, but not at the end of the bloody game FFS.

The crowds up and about cheering after a win, and there's randomly a soft digeridoo and tapping sticks starting up in the background?? Which you can barely hear.

Nothing to sing too, no intensity, you're looking around waiting for something to belt out and then.....

"Born is priiiiide from Asss-ssolation..." in sorrowful hipster :coffee:

He needs to launch into the chorus straight off the bat first. "We're the EAGLES, THE WEST COAST EAGLES!!! And we're HERE....."

Get a bit of atmosphere going. THEN if he wants to whine and do the verse, he should afterwards when everyone is now already singing along.

Ben Johnson played in the WAFL team on Saturday. Did quite well according to the report I read. Struck a bueaty of a goal from outside 50 too. Apparently!

Watched a replay last night. Main takeaways for me -

Duggan looked really good. As others have said not an at the coal face inside mid but as a running link up player. Also attacks the loose ball with vigour which could help that ground ball gets stat we’ve been notoriously bad at.

Nelson had a pretty good game imo- he does look to provide a bit of run off half back and I’d pick him ahead of either Cole or Witherden in the race for those last couple of spots in the back 6/7

Liked Langdons game prior to his head knock so hopefully he has no lingering issues

Sheppard is a gun

Ryan is a bazooka

O’Neill looked more at home and wasn’t panicked when he had the ball. Not a standout but was a solid game. If Kelly doesn’t come good he’ll retain his place as the 6th mid behind Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Redden and Duggan

Big effort from Barrass to even play after the loss of his father but to play so well augurs well for the season ahead

Watched a replay last night. Main takeaways for me -

Duggan looked really good. As others have said not an at the coal face inside mid but as a running link up player. Also attacks the loose ball with vigour which could help that ground ball gets stat we’ve been notoriously bad at.

Nelson had a pretty good game imo- he does look to provide a bit of run off half back and I’d pick him ahead of either Cole or Witherden in the race for those last couple of spots in the back 6/7

Liked Langdons game prior to his head knock so hopefully he has no lingering issues

Sheppard is a gun

Ryan is a bazooka

O’Neill looked more at home and wasn’t panicked when he had the ball. Not a standout but was a solid game. If Kelly doesn’t come good he’ll retain his place as the 6th mid behind Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Redden and Duggan

Big effort from Barrass to even play after the loss of his father but to play so well augurs well for the season ahead

I found O'Neil's game interesting, I quite like him with ball in hand but he looked like he was running through treacle at times, not sure if that is a general lack of pace or just a pre-season fatigue factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back