flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I still don't understand how it got approved. Unless they picked birds of tokyo first and contracted them to make us a song and this is the best they could come up with. It's legitimately embarrassing to have it play at the end of a game
Even our own Eagle doesn't like hanging around for it and wants to blend in with the crowd.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Xons cleans hands and coean pick ups stick out like a dogs dick. Shuey and TK the only mids that have cleaner hands at the club.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Purples are calling for Shepherd's blood after Banfield estimate being 6 weeks

Personally the rule is not that black & white

Shepherd and the other purple were actually in the contest and he just runs in their like a deer into headlights

I think the rule is black and white when the player going to ground does so to protect themselves (i.e. sliding with a leg out, or knees, or even shoulder/back).

When a player dives in head-first - as they only have eyes for the ball - it is a real grey area. Is the player who is on the ground, playing the ball and dives after it at fault - or the player on their feet charging in with no regard for the player on the ground? It just seems an unfortunate contact-injury (same as Fyfe/Langdon) in a contact sport.

Jupes

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
"dive at the legs"
shep.png

Shep is on his feet, dives at the ball, and makes forceful contact with Banfield below the knees. It's a blatant free and if one of our players had been injured in the same way I'd be ropeable too

Was he on his feet or crawling?

To the law it's a free kick against Shepp without a doubt. I don't entirely agree with the rule as I think you should be able to play the ball, like I don't see it as any different from kneeing someone in the head in a marking contest. 🐓 🔥 fans entitled to be angry, we'd be fuming if it was the other way around.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a tough one - eyes only for the ball, his direct opponent, tabenar, also down and lunging for it...

I see what freo fans are upset about but it's such an instinctive movement
Nah, black and white for me. Nothing for Shep to answer for, was going for the ball and likely only had a vague awareness someone was even there. Not what that rule was intended for at all imo

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Shep is on his feet, dives at the ball, and makes forceful contact with Banfield below the knees. It's a blatant free and if one of our players had been injured in the same way I'd be ropeable too
It’s a difficult one as he clearly gets to the ball first and Banfield comes from the side, also fairly recklessly, and collects him high. So it becomes a bit of a debate of what takes priority. Should be adjudicated similar to sliding in in soccer imo. If you are clearly to the ball first in a reasonable manner (ie. not flying in with your legs raised) then any contact is incidental.

Probably a free kick with the way it’s written but I disagree with how it is, given it was brought in to stop the Gary Rohan types of incidents. If Banfield is already standing over the ball, for example, and Shep comes diving in then that’s a bit more blatant.

I’m not sure what other options Shep has. His direct opponent (Taberner) is playing the ball so if he doesn’t go in for it either him or Banfield just waltz out with it. We’d be absolutely ropable if that happened.

Look, whatever your stance on the free kick adjudication I think we can all agree that Dean Cox's decision to have Margetts as his best man is still paying dividends.

It’s a shame for Banfield that he’s going to miss weeks because he didn’t do anything wrong. That said I’m not sure Shepp do much wrong either - the way the rule is it probably was a free kick to Banfield

No way it was dangerously reckless though to warrant anybody being upset at him for

Jupes

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
clearly diving AT the ball before banfield is even in the vicinity. the rule has incentivised players second to the ball to put their legs in danger for a free imo. we now seem to be having more risky leg incidents like this then before the rule was brought in after one freak accident. you can't create a penalty without also creating an incentive.

suntagonal

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Embers mentioned on 6pr Langdon got a serious knock in 2017 when he was doing some work at Claremont when Langdon was playing there. Apparently he was wasnt right for 6-7 weeks and Embers said this knock looked worse... So i really hope it isnt another Venables situation.

I think it could have been a lot worse... Langdons head was going to hit the turn in a whiplash movement if he hadn't been kinda supported by a Fremantle player. A head to head collision, and then a hard hit on the turf immediately after would have been disastrous (e.g., similar to DV, but in this case both impacts would have been less)

Back