Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesseb

Cancelled
Feb 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably the last time we played the 10th and 17th placed interstate teams in a row?

It’s not impossible for the Bulldogs either.

Brown, Dea and Green are currently in our best 22 - finals are not attainable for us this year.
Fair call. We might as well give up then. Your probably right. Yeah Green is a fantastic player and definitely worth playing. I'm sure everyone else agrees too

Jesseb

Cancelled
Feb 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably the last time we played the 10th and 17th placed interstate teams in a row?

It’s not impossible for the Bulldogs either.

Brown, Dea and Green are currently in our best 22 - finals are not attainable for us this year.
Just tried to find last time we won twice in a row interstate. Ended up giving up

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Was curious so looked into it:
2014 Round 12 vs GWS and 2014 Round 16 vs Port Adelaide.

I think he means in consecutive games played (it's rare that we've played two games interstate before, not even sure if we have? Also I'm not sure what you were looking at, but we've won our last 2 games interstate anyway....

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I know standards and expectations at Essendon are low. That's the natural outcome when a fanbase has been starved of success. But standards and expectations should never be so low to believe that Baguley is playing good football. And if he is really best-22 then god help us.

Don't bother he's cult hero plumber from Frankston who has never been anything more than a C grade player, and allegedly effective, which is all the more reason to cling to the belief that he is good.

Thank about it, a 31 year old player with 100 games of experience plays a few serviceable games, maybe even a good game twice in a season...what a time to be alive.

It comes down to expectations and what it shows is that it's really condescension that is at the heart of most cult hero worship. There are no expectations because deep down fans know the players are s**t.

We know it to be the truth because if a kid of whom good performances were expected dared turn in the performances of the Greens and Baguleys of this world he'd be in the discussion for de-listing or as a drafting bust.

The mystery in all of this is the role of the coaches. I initially thought it might be about control but it's more likely that they received too many concussions as players.

How else do you explain holding young and old players to different standards at a club that hasn't won a final in 15 years? The results speak for themselves.

Remember what Bomber did when he first came here? Asked what Slattery was doing on the list and he was delisted at the end of the year.

We need a fresh set of eyes.

Last edited:

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Go and watch the Essendon versus Geelong replay again.

Go watch the Magpies game or his last game or the other half dozen awful performances he has had this year.

What exactly is your point?

I have already acknowledged that he has played a couple of genuinely good games this year. The problem is I have higher expectations for a member of the best-22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good work by the selectors this week. You'll all be lining up to give them wristies when we win.

That's the thing...we're up against it over there even at full strength! Yet somehow, the selections of certain players will be the sole reason for a possible (likely?) loss. But if...IF we get up, then what do people say? Go the media route of playing down the opposition instead?

That's the thing...we're up against it over there even at full strength! Yet somehow, the selections of certain players will be the sole reason for a possible (likely?) loss. But if...IF we get up, then what do people say? Go the media route of playing down the opposition instead?
It is so much easier to back up a negative standpoint if we have negative outcomes.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Are we too tall and slow with Brown, Dea, Hooker and Hurley in the back half? LeCras, Jetta, Ryan will be licking their lips

Are we too tall and slow with Brown, Dea, Hooker and Hurley in the back half? LeCras, Jetta, Ryan will be licking their lips
Brown will be playing forward.

Stewart can cover the ground well would have liked to see him in there... other then that I can’t complain
Fingers crossed could be a late in. I'm probably dreaming though.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Good work by the selectors this week. You'll all be lining up to give them wristies when we win.

Will be happy if we win, but think that outcome would have been the same regardless of whether Green, Dea and Baguley or Long, Francis and Clarke were selected. They aren’t the players who will win us the game.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Simple, we won despite carrying those players, imagine how much we would have won by otherwise?
At least that's the statement I have prepared if Green plays well. Imagine if we had of played Long or Laverde in his place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back