Game Day West Coast vs Richmond - Round 13, 2021 @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think as long as Kennedy is playing, it makes most sense for Allen to ruck. It also encourages NN to have longer stints which is maybe a good thing for him.

Sorry can't disagree more. Even if OA was a decent ruck I'd still be really hesitant. Marlion Pickett is 184cm which is not tall by AFL standards. How many players do we have that are taller than that?

185cm: Witherden, Cole, XON, Petro, Sheed; 186: Shep, Nelson; 187: Hurn; 188: Ah Chee, Foley, LEdwards; 189: Redden, Yeo; 191: Darling, Oscar, Waterman; 192: Rotham; 194: Barrass; 195: HEdwards, Gov, Brander; 196: JK; 198: Williams, Vardy; 201: NN.

So who are the fringe players who are less important than Allen? Maybe Nelson? Brander? Rotham? Waterman? And when Darling is totally MIA (as he can be) why not swap him and Allen for Ruck2?

I simply cannot get my head around why you would play a guy - widely recognised as a future champ - in what is, potentially, the most physically damaging position? It's like taking your Porsche up the Canning Stock Route or the Gibb River Road!

Funny, but also so ******* Whinney, whinging, negative complaining flip flop campaigners all game! Thank fu** I was at Optus during the thread, just cringe worthy reading through this dross after the win 😂🤪 Have some faith in the boiz, sheesh 🤦🏼‍♀️
Like I said, funny.

Funny, but also so ******* Whinney, whinging, negative complaining flip flop campaigners all game! Thank fu** I was at Optus during the thread, just cringe worthy reading through this dross after the win 😂🤪 Have some faith in the boiz, sheesh 🤦🏼‍♀️
Missing the game day thread is a blessing, why would you put yourself through reading it after the fact?

Missing the game day thread is a blessing, why would you put yourself through reading it after the fact?

I was still so high after the game & then watching the replay I thought I would skim through. Haven't done so for ages, now I remember why!! Bloody shocking keyboard sooks :straining: :sick: The worst are the constant stupid comments "why is ' player X' still getting a game? Sheesh, just maybe because the better option is currently injured & unable to play? Geniuses!

Sorry can't disagree more. Even if OA was a decent ruck I'd still be really hesitant. Marlion Pickett is 184cm which is not tall by AFL standards. How many players do we have that are taller than that?

185cm: Witherden, Cole, XON, Petro, Sheed; 186: Shep, Nelson; 187: Hurn; 188: Ah Chee, Foley, LEdwards; 189: Redden, Yeo; 191: Darling, Oscar, Waterman; 192: Rotham; 194: Barrass; 195: HEdwards, Gov, Brander; 196: JK; 198: Williams, Vardy; 201: NN.

So who are the fringe players who are less important than Allen? Maybe Nelson? Brander? Rotham? Waterman? And when Darling is totally MIA (as he can be) why not swap him and Allen for Ruck2?

I simply cannot get my head around why you would play a guy - widely recognised as a future champ - in what is, potentially, the most physically damaging position? It's like taking your Porsche up the Canning Stock Route or the Gibb River Road!
The most physically damaging position?

Maybe in the 90's but the rule changes (circle in the centre, 1m separation at stoppages, blocking frees) have dampened that significantly.

In the past few weeks we've had players (ours and opponents) hurt shoulders, and get concussed playing forward or back - but not in ruck contests. Sure the PCL knee-on-knee danger still exists, but many/most ruckmen (Oscar included) don't go knee first any more for this reason.

To protect Oscar (from his 4 centre bounce attendances) we bring in a Williams or Vardy to play half a game (and probably lose). No thanks.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe in the 90's but the rule changes (circle in the centre, 1m separation at stoppages, blocking frees) have dampened that significantly.

In the past few weeks we've had players (ours and opponents) hurt shoulders, and get concussed playing forward or back - but not in ruck contests. Sure the PCL knee-on-knee danger still exists, but many/most ruckmen (Oscar included) don't go knee first any more for this reason.

To protect Oscar (from his 4 centre bounce attendances) we bring in a Williams or Vardy to play half a game (and probably lose). No thanks.

Esp as they can't be put up forward when Naitanui is rucking with Kennedy, Darling and Allen up forward.

Last edited:

Agreed, it doesn't make sense anymore/at the moment. If one of JK/Allen/JD was injured then maybe, but otherwise it just kills our rotations/balance. We've looked so much better without the extra ruck, even at the expense of Allen's rucking ability. If Richmond can get by using Pickett sometimes I'm sure we'll manage throwing Allen/JD/HEdwards in there for a few contests each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back