HB: C.Thomas 3 A.Hill 16 C.Guard 4
C: S.Lakay 23 E.Swanson C 13 M.Bowen 1
HF: A.Schmidt 7 K.Gibson 2 I.Cameron 19
F: A.Gilmore 22 H.Bullas 24
Foll: P.Laurie 25 I.Lewis 6 D.Hooker 17
I/C: C.Rowley 5 S.Davison 28 B.Smith 14 E.Bennett 27 N.Kelly 12

Emerg: A.Atkins 9 M.Caulfield 10

In: A.Gilmore, E.Bennett
Out: A.Atkins (omitted), G.Kelly (rested)

RICHMOND

B:
S.D'Arcy 12 R.Miller 15
HB: B.Lynch 32 J.Hosking 11 M.Shevlin 35
C: T.Lavey 37 S.Hosking 7 K.Dempsey 19
HF: T.Stahl 24 M.Brancatisano 5 E.Yassir 27
F: E.McKenzie 22 G.Seymour 28
Foll: C.Bernardi 6 K.Brennan C 3 M.Conti 4
I/C: S.Sansonetti 18 P.Kelly 14 M.Macdonald 38 A.Makur Chuot 34 M.Kiely 31

Emerg: S.Molan 1 K.Jacques 10

In: C.Bernardi
Out: K.Jacques (omitted)

Last edited:
Last edited:

Thanks Nostratigerman2 - I new you had some control but gee you already have the stats sorted for this week's game - Do/did we win? ;) Don't suppose you have the Lotto sorted to do ya - just the first six will do mate - don't bother with those pesky sups!

:)

Thanks Nostratigerman2 - I new you had some control but gee you already have the stats sorted for this week's game - Do/did we win? ;) Don't suppose you have the Lotto sorted too do ya - just the first six will do mate - don't bother with those pesky supps!
We didn’t even lose the free kick count away to West Coast. Wtf?

We didn’t even lose the free kick count away to West Coast. Wtf?
Only way we win the free countis when it is all in Melman's Tigerman2's head

Relevant to our game, Will be one of the few occasions where Gabby won't be giving away inches. Look forward to seeing what happens between her and Laurie.

FEB 16. 2022. 11:45 AM

Why the rucks are even more important in AFLW​

Gemma Bastiani

THE VALUE of a reliable ruck in AFLW cannot be overstated, but the reality of what makes a great ruck extends far beyond taps at stoppages. With only 16 players on the field, it is becoming increasingly important for rucks to have a second string to their bow, another way to impact around the ground, and offer their side more versatility.

Becoming the fourth midfielder

A number of players have shown dominance at ground level after leaping for the hitout and, in recent seasons, three rucks in particular have paved the way in this regard.

Strong in the hitouts, 2021 All-Australian Breann Moody is averaging 2.4 clearances and four ground ball gets so far this season, while also offering a bigger, stronger body around the contest and surprising speed over short distances. Key for Carlton is Moody’s ability to both intercept the ball and help to transition into attack, averaging 1.4 intercept marks and 1.7 inside 50s per match this season.

Breann-Moody-1-.jpg

Over in the west, Parris Laurie is playing a similar role at ground level for the Eagles. Standing at 178cm, Laurie is regularly giving up height in the taps but once the ball hits the ground she shines. Laurie averages 2.1 clearances and 3.6 ground ball gets across her career and is taking a career-high 2.7 marks each week in 2022.

Parris-Laurie.jpg

For Melbourne, 2019 All-Australian Lauren Pearce is arguably the prime example of a ruck becoming the fourth midfielder. In AFLW history, Pearce is the only player to ever register 20-plus hitouts and 20-plus disposals in a game, and she had achieved the feat twice. Averaging the fourth-most hitouts in the competition, Pearce has won more disposals than any other player to register 75-plus hitouts this year and averages five clearances a game, leading Melbourne and winning more clearances than both Tyla Hanks and Karen Paxman combined. This year, Pearce has won the second-most in the competition to date, right on the heels of both Monique Conti and Kiara Bowers.

Lauren-Pearce-1-.jpg

Also emerging in this role is Brisbane’s Tahlia Hickie who has been developing since making her debut in Brisbane’s 2020 semi-final loss. Hickie is athletic and has topped her season averages of disposals, hitouts and clearances each year since that debut.

2022 AVG CLEARANCES2022 AVG HITOUTS2022 AVG DISPOSALS2022 AVG GROUND BALL GETS
Lauren Pearce5.015.713.54.7
Tahlia Hickie2.518.39.03.3
Breann Moody2.422.012.03.1
Parris Laurie1.815.38.2

Supporting the defence

Having the height of a ruck who can intelligently drop back behind the ball and support the defence has been a game-changer for several sides over the past two years, but none more so than Richmond.

Last year the Tigers made the choice to use Gabby Seymour as their No.1 ruck, taking her from the backline but not losing her defensive sensibilities. This year the side has added Poppy Kelly into the middle, but due to a knee injury Seymour has still spent much of the season in the ruck.

Seymour has developed into a strong intercept marker and, as her average disposals have increased year on year, most of those touches have come in the back half of the ground.

Gabrielle-Seymour.jpg

Making her mark as an emerging defensive ruck this year is Adelaide’s Montana McKinnon. Her 2.7 marks each game and positioning down the line this year has been important to the Crows’ territory control.

2022 AVG INTERCEPT MARKS2022 AVG SPOILS2022 AVG HITOUTS2022 AVG DISPOSALS
Gabby Seymour2.21.512.014.2
Montana McKinnon2.20.711.811.8

Given how the Suns have performed this season and last weeks shock win by the Dogs against the Crows our losses probably don't look as bad as first thought.

Reckon with all teams at full strength we'd have banked some wins.

Given how the Suns have performed this season and last weeks shock win by the Dogs against the Crows our losses probably don't look as bad as first thought.

Reckon with all teams at full strength we'd have banked some wins.

I'd like to pit Gabby up against any of them for kicking effectiveness. A pinnacle of that by way of example was that slashing pass to Brennan from half back to half forward (StKilda game) that did not get above head height but hit Brennan at the perfect height. All good and well getting 10-20 disposals, but what happens with them as being effective or not and what it sets up is more important.

PREVIEW
Gemma Bastiani

West Coast v Richmond at Mineral Resources Park, 4.10pm AWST

• When playing on bigger grounds, a game style is starting to emerge for West Coast. Focusing on speed, run and carry, emptying out the forward line to get the ball out the front into space. Playing at home again allows them a chance to find that style of play again, albeit in stifling hot conditions. The work rate of Richmond’s wings will be really important in ensuring the Eagles don’t get the ball out to the open side at will.
  • The midfield battle will be an interesting one. Richmond has relied heavily on Monique Conti to do the bulk of work around the ball, although Ellie McKenzie’s return has provided some relief. The Eagles, however, boast an impressive on-ball brigade, including captain Emma Swanson, Dana Hooker and Bella Lewis. Key for West Coast will be capitalising on the midfield dominance they often have, and turning that into scoreboard pressure.
  • Tip: Richmond is fighting hard despite key players missing, but this is a chance for West Coast to register a second win for the season. Eagles by two points.

Boooooooooo!

PREVIEW
Gemma Bastiani

West Coast v Richmond at Mineral Resources Park, 4.10pm AWST

• When playing on bigger grounds, a game style is starting to emerge for West Coast. Focusing on speed, run and carry, emptying out the forward line to get the ball out the front into space. Playing at home again allows them a chance to find that style of play again, albeit in stifling hot conditions. The work rate of Richmond’s wings will be really important in ensuring the Eagles don’t get the ball out to the open side at will.
  • The midfield battle will be an interesting one. Richmond has relied heavily on Monique Conti to do the bulk of work around the ball, although Ellie McKenzie’s return has provided some relief. The Eagles, however, boast an impressive on-ball brigade, including captain Emma Swanson, Dana Hooker and Bella Lewis. Key for West Coast will be capitalising on the midfield dominance they often have, and turning that into scoreboard pressure.
  • Tip: Richmond is fighting hard despite key players missing, but this is a chance for West Coast to register a second win for the season. Eagles by two points.

Boooooooooo!
Yeah the heat could be extra sapping depending on how they travel through the day - still be high 20's game time. Hope them being home is a bit of a distraction for them, otherwise they might demolish us in the last quarter if our energy levels are struggling.

Relevant to our game, Will be one of the few occasions where Gabby won't be giving away inches. Look forward to seeing what happens between her and Laurie.

Interesting article.

Rounds 2 to 5, we took a pasting in hit-outs. I've got us at an average of -15.5. One of those games, maybe Melbourne, Gabby played 100% game time, 100% in the ruck. I don't think I've seen that in the AFL era. Freakish, and no slight on Gabby that she didn't win the hit-outs that day.

But hit-outs aren't everything, and I reckon Gabby would easily be top 5 in the B&F count right now. She's improved again. Not just her intercept marking in the backline either. She's our 2nd for contested possessions, 3rd for clearances, and 3rd for tackles. Noticed her running forward with purpose a bit, too.

And she still gets enough hit-outs. Rare package.

Interesting article.

Rounds 2 to 5, we took a pasting in hit-outs. I've got us at an average of -15.5. One of those games, maybe Melbourne, Gabby played 100% game time, 100% in the ruck. I don't think I've seen that in the AFL era. Freakish, and no slight on Gabby that she didn't win the hit-outs that day.

But hit-outs aren't everything, and I reckon Gabby would easily be top 5 in the B&F count right now. She's improved again. Not just her intercept marking in the backline either. She's our 2nd for contested possessions, 3rd for clearances, and 3rd for tackles. Noticed her running forward with purpose a bit, too.

And she still gets enough hit-outs. Rare package.

Agree Gabby is a gun. Staggering improvement since year one (in VFLW) but even then her raw talent was evident. Didn't play much footy at all before that. A few games at The Basin FC. Just runs and runs and is everywhere. As good in the last 5 minutes of a game as the first. Even allowing for shorter quarters its rare air.

Played key back 2020 and probably learnt a heap and must admit I didn't like it but it probably influenced her defensive mindset when now on the ball. Heard some suggestions for her to be played key back again with Cordner going down but think she is totally wasted there. Glad it didn't happen.

I can see her either in a midfield role/key forward in future.

Definitely flying under the radar with the AFLW "experts". Abbey Holmes is the only one raving about her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changes?

Sitting on the sidelines:
Molan
Bernardi (if fit)
Dargan
Reid
Houtsma (if fit)

Jacques and Stahl didn't have the greatest of games.
I must admit I do get seduced by Akec's athletic ability. Was hoping she'd kick her first goal after that run.

I'd keep Akec in on the big ground and play her forward of centre, maybe half forward with instructions to really get on her bike. If she can get the ball on the outside and be clean she has the wheels to break lines. The fumbles are sometimes what hurts her. Love her being in our squad but she's at the stage of her career where she has to get some good footy under her belt.

Tayla Stahl needs to find some form and confidence at Port. She needs a game where she gets more ball and its just not happening at AFLW level. Would replace her with Bernardi if fit, if not fit then Reid.

Kodi Jacques would be better for a run at Port. Just hasn't got into it last few games. Sophie Molan was best for Port in their defeat to Casey with 17 disposals and 14 tackles so big chance to come back into the side. Need to shut down the Eagles run so the 14 tackles definitely makes me sit up and take notice but I'm also not sure the fast, dry conditions on a big ground is ideal for Sophie. Toss up between Sophie and Reid to replace Jacques if Bernardi is fit.

Houtsma just needs time on ground and Port is her best option at the moment. Dargan was emergency last week and didn't play at all. Not sure that's ideal prep for this week.

Lets hope no safety protocols come into play this week.

Changes?

Sitting on the sidelines:
Molan
Bernardi (if fit)
Dargan
Reid
Houtsma (if fit)

Jacques and Stahl didn't have the greatest of games.
I must admit I do get seduced by Akec's athletic ability. Was hoping she'd kick her first goal after that run.

I'd keep Akec in on the big ground and play her forward of centre, maybe half forward with instructions to really get on her bike. If she can get the ball on the outside and be clean she has the wheels to break lines. The fumbles are sometimes what hurts her. Love her being in our squad but she's at the stage of her career where she has to get some good footy under her belt.

Tayla Stahl needs to find some form and confidence at Port. She needs a game where she gets more ball and its just not happening at AFLW level. Would replace her with Bernardi if fit, if not fit then Reid.

Kodi Jacques would be better for a run at Port. Just hasn't got into it last few games. Sophie Molan was best for Port in their defeat to Casey with 17 disposals and 14 tackles so big chance to come back into the side. Need to shut down the Eagles run so the 14 tackles definitely makes me sit up and take notice but I'm also not sure the fast, dry conditions on a big ground is ideal for Sophie. Toss up between Sophie and Reid to replace Jacques if Bernardi is fit.

Houtsma just needs time on ground and Port is her best option at the moment. Dargan was emergency last week and didn't play at all. Not sure that's ideal prep for this week.

Lets hope no safety protocols come into play this week.
Stahl has been persisted with for too long - either get her in the game early or get out of the team - this trotting around fwd to half fwd does nothing for her over all game. She needs early touches to get confidence. If she is a Train on, them maybe Locke could come in - she went well at Port in her first hit out for the season - certainly looked the most dangerous in that squad.

Agree with you about Akec - it's now or never. She's 29, she needs to make some sort of impact and fast.

Not against Molan for Jacques, just a same / same sort of thing though. Don't be too seduced by the numbers at Port, I was stunned by those tackle numbers, must have been touch footy type tackles. She had little impact on the game despite those stats. I'd probably run Molan again at Port and demand some impact from her posessions - she could do it well enough at U18's but then again how good was that year of footy overall. It's stating to look like a week year. Jacques at least keeps looking to get involved in forward chains, has a step when brave enough to use it, can accelerate, again when brave enough to use it. Think the ground and conditions might suit her better.

If Bernardi is fit - she's in - that simple! It would be a luxury to run her through Port, and that knee, who knows how many games she might still have on it? I's give Reid another run at Port and a chance to dominate some more.

Agree on Akec. Keep her in and keep her forward. Jeez we miss Wakefield. Haven't looked like having a functional forward structure. Just relying on KB. Didn't mind Akec's work forward of the ball, and if we're gunna play 16 in the defensive end when they have the ball, we need her pace.

Agree on Akec. Keep her in and keep her forward. Jeez we miss Wakefield. Haven't looked like having a functional forward structure. Just relying on KB. Didn't mind Akec's work forward of the ball, and if we're gunna play 16 in the defensive end when they have the ball, we need her pace.

Wakefield would also often work up towards the wing as a marking option and then push hard to a deep forward spot to again be an option there. Phenomenal work rate. When we would see her out of breath, hunched over or taking a few extra seconds when shooting for goal it wasn't because she is our oldest player, it was because time and time again she worked her arse of.

Missing that bigtime.

As you say, its just KB at the moment who has been awesome.

Stahl has been persisted with for too long - either get her in the game early or get out of the team - this trotting around fwd to half fwd does nothing for her over all game. She needs early touches to get confidence. If she is a Train on, them maybe Locke could come in - she went well at Port in her first hit out for the season - certainly looked the most dangerous in that squad.

Looking at the selection rule for train on players you can't select train on players in your AFLW side unless your squad has only 22 fit players.

At the moment we have a squad of 32 which includes Akayla Peterson who is the only upgraded player yet to play.

We have McLaren, Cordner, Burchell and McLelland officially ruled out for the season.
Wakefield is long term

Bernardi and Houtsma were "tests" last week so their return could be this week.

We are still a fair way from 22. We'd need another 5 to be unavailable for Sophie to get a gig.

We could upgrade her to our list but I guess there is a financial aspect to upgrading players and the club probably thinks that the position that Sophie would occupy in our team is covered by other current players.

TBO I'd like to see Sophie tested out at the top level but unless we lose a stack more players I can't see it happening unless we have a COVID issue and I'm not sure any side this season has lost that many in the same week.

Looking at the selection rule for train on players you can't select train on players in your AFLW side unless your squad has only 22 fit players.

At the moment we have a squad of 32 which includes Akayla Peterson who is the only upgraded player yet to play.

We have McLaren, Cordner, Burchell and McLelland officially ruled out for the season.
Wakefield is long term

Bernardi and Houtsma were "tests" last week so their return could be this week.

We are still a fair way from 22. We'd need another 5 to be unavailable for Sophie to get a gig.

We could upgrade her to our list but I guess there is a financial aspect to upgrading players and the club probably thinks that the position that Sophie would occupy in our team is covered by other current players.

TBO I'd like to see Sophie tested out at the top level but unless we lose a stack more players I can't see it happening unless we have a COVID issue and I'm not sure any side this season has lost that many in the same week.
Yep, all fair calls. It's probs about the cash, because we have played McDonald who was a Train On and we have never been so close as we were last week - 25 avail including Lynch, McDonald and Peterson (or maybe it was 26 - can't recall exactly)

Wakefield would also often work up towards the wing as a marking option and then push hard to a deep forward spot to again be an option there. Phenomenal work rate. When we would see her out of breath, hunched over or taking a few extra seconds when shooting for goal it wasn't because she is our oldest player, it was because time and time again she worked her arse of.

Missing that bigtime.

As you say, its just KB at the moment who has been awesome.

Absolute bull with a tank - rare commodity in this era so far. I hope she finds a way to go around again if motivated to do so.

Wakefield does a lot of heavy lifting smashes packs and would help shake kB loose , real shame to miss her , just wonder whether she eeks out one more year seeing how this has gone . Akec is a slight improvement on a few others , sadly dargan and Jacques just don’t get near it and stahl ,,,well we all know has battled to look anywhere near the level ,,,,carna Tigers ,,,lets do this

Wakefield does a lot of heavy lifting smashes packs and would help shake kB loose , real shame to miss her , just wonder whether she eeks out one more year seeing how this has gone . Akec is a slight improvement on a few others , sadly dargan and Jacques just don’t get near it and stahl ,,,well we all know has battled to look anywhere near the level ,,,,carna Tigers ,,,lets do this

Maybe a lost season due to injury is not the way Courtney wants to end her footy journey 🤞

Yep, all fair calls. It's probs about the cash, because we have played McDonald who was a Train On and we have never been so close as we were last week - 25 avail including Lynch, McDonald and Peterson (or maybe it was 26 - can't recall exactly)

McDonald is a fully fledged Tiger.
Upgraded to our main list on 5th of Jan before the season commenced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back