AFLW West Coast vs Richmond Saturday 19 February, 7.10pm Mineral Resources Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked Akec on our forward line.

Can take a nice mark, good kick, good run and pace. Looked likely to do something whenever the ball came near her.

Think you called Akec forward first Stan Judkins ??

Going to

thanks TigermanM2 you're too kind, yes i did say send Akec forward, we couldn't do any worse, given how our fwd line was going with Wakefield injured
she had 3 shots on goal, for 1 goal, 1 behind & 1 nearly but rushed thru by Katie Brennan
could have had 3 goals with a bit of luck

maybe the way fwd is to keep Akec up there, she hasn't cemented a place anywhere else
has the height to keep a opponent accountable, moves a lot better than Sab did

needs to get to a few more down the line contests like Wakefield does, but could be that stop gap tall we might need if Courtney retires at the end of this season
inspired move by Fergs

Also liked they interviewed Tayla Stahl after the game. Someone different to the usuals they normally go to.

Couple of other observations

Sansonetti
Just a really composed solid defender. Lack of opportunity has prevented her playing more games not form.

Shevlin
Got a glimpse of why we targeted her.

Makur Chuott
Not sure there is a more loved player. Are we seeing the rebirth of her career as a forward?

Hoskings
Sarah had her best game of her year after a surprising quiet start. More confident in our backline with Jess there. Just two absolute hard nuts. Would be lovely people off the field….until you parked in their parking spot.

Poppy Kelly
So important to our structure. Was a cross code rookie at the Saints so has actually played little footy. Upside is huge. Our best recruit just for what she adds.

Meg MacDonald
Gives 120% Won’t be our flashiest but won’t die wondering.

Beth Lynch
Getting better and better.

amazing how much better Stahl looked without the helmet on, dangerous as *, kicked her highest tally in a game (3 goals)
is this finally her breakout moment, why was she wearing a helmet in the 1st place? habit? concussion concerns?
Tayla, word of advice, ditch the head gear for good & realize your true potential, you could be as good as Darcy Vescio, Bonnie Toogood

yeah have liked Shevlin from the get go, can kick it a mile, handy to get the ball out of our backline
averages 300 metres gained, same as Conti (our highest/game) but with less possies, getting better with each game

noticed how much better Branc has been, since Ellie McK has come back
wont be long until Ellie joins Conti as a 23+ possie getter, as Conti is the only one so far (23 times!)
the thing that impresses me with Ellie McK (as if i couldn't be any more impressed) is her ball use, doesn't waste a possie, she was going at 80% efficiency this game

Love Meg MacDonald, hard at it, grabbed her opportunity with both hands
Meg & Beth Lynch look like they're worth persevering with

and Poppy Kelly well hasn't she been a pickup, look at what it's done for Gabby, has to be close in the B&F with Conti, Miller & Brennan
Gabby is a midfielder now averaging 15 disposals/game, 4 marks/game, along with 11 hitouts/game
incredible season by a incredible player

will finish with Bec Miller, wow hasn't she stepped up, had her as solid behind Cordner & D'Arcy, but now she's A-grade
very reliable 1 on 1, where as before, i was worried whenever she was on the last line of defence
took the mantle as our No 1 defender this year

Also liked they interviewed Tayla Stahl after the game. Someone different to the usuals they normally go to.

Sansonetti
Just a really composed solid defender. Lack of opportunity has prevented her playing more games not form.

Shevlin

Makur Chuott
Not sure there is a more loved player. Are we seeing the rebirth of her career as a forward?

Hoskings
Sarah had her best game of her year after a surprising quiet start. More confident in our backline with Jess there. Just two absolute hard nuts. Would be lovely people off the field….until you parked in their parking spot.

Poppy Kelly
So important to our structure. Was a cross code rookie at the Saints so has actually played little footy. Upside is huge. Our best recruit just for what she adds.

Meg MacDonald

Beth Lynch
Well Stahl did kick three so it was always likely. Deserved the interview.

Sansonetti was, for some considerable time, in a pretty ordinary patch of form. Her first game this year was another example of that (and duly dropped). However since she came back in again she has found that spark and intensity at the ball again. She is a little bit like Lynch, doesn't get a lot of the ball, but she is strong at the contest and her 1%er's would be good I'd suggest, pushing the ball on the ground, knocking it in the path of another. She is building confidence in her game again and at only 20, she may still have bright future.

Shevlin is a bit of slow burn, there have been glimpses. Great leg! Have always said, cut any new player at a new Club some slack - sometimes as much as a season. It can take that long to really feel like you fit in, like you get you teammate, but more importantly they get you.

That knee for Akec is the big caveat - playing forward and needing to turn at 29. She has to be the Queen Mary of turning circles and the girls need to get and take advantage of that part of her game, because once she gets motoring..... - play to her strengths.

Love the Hoskings. Mt Eliza HS girls. Some of our best recruiting work right there. I know Sarah has been down on form, but she is still a competitive beast and just matter of time until she gets back to her level. Is she A-grade, probably not, but sometimes your A-graders like Conti and Mckenzie simply need a good B-grader cracking in, backing up, making some space. Jess has been superb down back most games, at times under real duress.

Poppy was really good against the Eagles. Gave us Gabby back around the ground. Poppy breaking even is a win.

You said it TM2 - Meg McDonald cracks in. I said it weeks ago. What surprised me was that in a contest she has a few tricks. Twice have seen her spin out of a contest and dish a handball. Rapt she goaled late. She is actually a very quick decision maker with ball in hand.

Beth Lynch has grown, she won't simply be referred to as the sister of.... She is growing in stature, immense bravery and her capacity to keep her eyes on the ball means she will keep getting better. Two of her marks down back were superb examples of eyes on the ball, twisting the body was Gasper-like (note I didn't say Tom-like!)

I'd add
Kate Dempsey was good at certain times of the game, and I hope we keep asking her to keep her width and not get sucked into the corridor because we need some safety outlets that can run, but more importantly deliver a good pass back into or threaten the Inside50. Too often we get sucked in tight and rush a kick to a 50/50 or worse only to see it rebound (against better sides)

McKenzie was the class we have so been lacking. Sometimes she is trying to be too much the team player - rather that at the moment to be honst because she will work it out with a series of mental (shoulda's). It's like watching a Rolls Royce at Nascar sometimes

Last edited:

Did anyone notice that the first game in a while that we had a solid umpiring ride in (at any level) was met with the commentators bringing it up frequently?

Now I ain’t saying that there’s a conspiracy against Richmond, but let’s just say that the commentators didn’t really bring up umpiring in our games against Melbourne and Fremantle earlier in the year.

Or, that we were not scrapping quite so much we were in better positions to get the frees. That was WC scrapping more in this game. Whenever you are second to ball, just, you always run that risk. Not saying we have never been hard done by, the stats alone would indicate that, but this game flips it and where were we in most contests, first to the ball.

amazing how much better Stahl looked without the helmet on, dangerous as fu**, kicked her highest tally in a game (3 goals)
is this finally her breakout moment, why was she wearing a helmet in the 1st place? habit? concussion concerns?
Tayla, word of advice, ditch the head gear for good & realize your true potential, you could be as good as Darcy Vescio, Bonnie Toogood

yeah have liked Shevlin from the get go, can kick it a mile, handy to get the ball out of our backline
averages 300 metres gained, same as Conti (our highest/game) but with less possies, getting better with each game

noticed how much better Branc has been, since Ellie McK has come back
wont be long until Ellie joins Conti as a 23+ possie getter, as Conti is the only one so far (23 times!)
the thing that impresses me with Ellie McK (as if i couldn't be any more impressed) is her ball use, doesn't waste a possie, she was going at 80% efficiency this game

Love Meg MacDonald, hard at it, grabbed her opportunity with both hands
Meg & Beth Lynch look like they're worth persevering with

and Poppy Kelly well hasn't she been a pickup, look at what it's done for Gabby, has to be close in the B&F with Conti, Miller & Brennan
Gabby is a midfielder now averaging 15 disposals/game, 4 marks/game, along with 11 hitouts/game
incredible season by a incredible player

will finish with Bec Miller, wow hasn't she stepped up, had her as solid behind Cordner & D'Arcy, but now she's A-grade
very reliable 1 on 1, where as before, i was worried whenever she was on the last line of defence
took the mantle as our No 1 defender this year

Tayla was in a pretty bad car accident. Received head injuries from it.

Omitted to mention stahl , put the blowtorch too her I did after several listless performances , ditched the helmet and that would be the best game I seen her play , keep up over last few rounds
But was it? I think she made the most of a few opportunities and no clangers. That first goal is kicked by anyone. The second was a great mark and I am going to give some credit to the kicker, Shevlin, who kicked it to the open advantage side of Stahl who did some good body work to maintain the advantage.

Her 3rd came in the 4th when a tired WC Eagle telegraphed she might kick back to in front of the goal square and Stahl was smart enough to make the ground for a turning contest mark - probably her best play for day to be honest.

She had one other kick. 4 kicks for 3 goals - you take that every day of the week. It is, was, good in bigger scheme of personal things.
It's what happens against the better sides though surely? The 3-4 touches that result in nothing. That's my grizzle, the consistency of the 3-4 touches from someone with her reputed high bar of skills.

It probably keeps her in the side for the rest of the season. Maybe we can still sneak into the finals. Maybe she can do another 3 goals from from 4 touches in a final? I just hope Ferg lets her know it still is not enough, 3 or 4 touches, with her apparent calibre.

Last edited:
Whats going on with the stupid AFLW ladder, they've got no one there in IT to update the god damn thing?
AFL scum organisation, can’t afford anything apart from Gilligans bonus

Tayla was in a pretty bad car accident. Received head injuries from it.
From the bastion of Journalistic Integrity, Sydney's Daily Telegraph:

"A significant factor in suspending her sentence were injuries sustained when Stahl was hit by a car on a night out in Sydney in June 2015.
Traumatic brain and wider physical injuries have affected Stahl’s memory and mental health, and required her to undergo substantial rehabilitation."

Good to see us get so much of the game on our terms
One negative, it was a bit of play where Brancatisano had the ball in the corridor there was one def player about 20 mtr in front of her and had space all around.
She ran straight at her stopped and got tackled. For a mid that’s either really low confidence or just not good enough.
She picked up a bit in the last quarter linking up with McKenzie a couple of times which was good for her

Sansonetti

Shevlin

Makur Chuott

Hoskings

Poppy Kelly

Meg MacDonald

Beth Lynch
Glad you mentioned McDonald and lynch both really show a bit and if they work hard will see improvement like branc and Dempsey have . Both ferocious at the contest , tackle hard and really throw themselves in , lynchy plays @&@$ mad like her bro , tackles like she’s angry ,,,,I like it

But was it? I think she made the most of a few opportunities and no clangers. That first goal is kicked by anyone. The second was a great mark and I am going to give some credit to the kicker, Shevlin, who kicked it to the open advantage side of Stahl who did some good body work to maintain the advantage.

Her 3rd came in the 4th when a tired WC Eagle telegraphed she might kick back to in front of the goal square and Stahl was smart enough to make the ground for a turning contest mark - probably her best play for day to be honest.

She had one other kick. 4 kicks for 3 goals - you take that every day of the week. It is, was good in bigger scheme of personal things.
It's what happens against the better sides though surely? The 3-4 touches that result in nothing. That's my grizzle, the consistency of the 3-4 touches from someone with her reputed high bar of skills.

It probably keeps her in the side for the rest of the season. Maybe we can still sneak into the finals. Maybe she can do another 3 goals from from 4 touches in a final? I just hope Ferg lets her know it still is not enough, 3 or 4 touches, with her apparent calibre.
She put herself in good positions and cashed in , lately she’s made a clutz of everything so I give her credit for grabbing the game by the horns

Anyone else with the thinking that KB has found a bit of pace this year?
Moving across the ground as well as I’ve ever seen her.
A few times I’ve expected her to get caught but they haven’t been able to make much ground on her.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL advises the Match Review of Round Seven (Part One) of the 2022 NAB AFL Women’s Competition has been completed. Three charges were laid and there were no other incidents that required an explanation.

Charges Laid:
Bailey Hunt, Western Bulldogs,
has been charged with Tripping Rachel Kearns, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the Round Seven match between the Western Bulldogs and Geelong Cats, played at VU Whitten Oval on Friday February 18, 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Emma Swanson, West Coast Eagles, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Meagan Kiely, Richmond, during the second quarter of the Round Seven match between the West Coast Eagles and Richmond, played at Mineral Resources Park on Saturday February 19, 2022.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

Belinda Smith, West Coast Eagles, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Tayla Stahl, Richmond, during the third quarter of the Round Seven match between the West Coast Eagles and Richmond, played at Mineral Resources Park on Saturday February 19, 2022.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact, High Contact. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a reprimand with an early plea.

1645505696629.png
SPORT

Richmond defeats West Coast Eagles by 23 points as Carlton, Adelaide Crows celebrate massive AFLW wins​

A Richmond Tigers AFLW player pumps her left fist as she celebrates a goal against West Coast.

Tayla Stahl (left) got on the scoreboard for the Tigers in their win over the Eagles.(Getty Images: Paul Kane)

Richmond captain Katie Brennan has continued her amazing goal-scoring run, as the Tigers snapped a five-match losing streak with a 23-point win over West Coast.

In other results, Carlton restricted St Kilda to just two behinds in its 46-point win, while Adelaide thrashed GWS by 40 points.

In Perth, the Tigers booted four unanswered goals in the opening term to set up the 10.8 (68) to 7.3 (45) triumph in stifling heat.

Brennan finished with 2.1 from 15 disposals, marking her 13th consecutive match that she has scored at least one goal.

Midfielder Monique Conti (24 disposals, nine tackles and one goal) and forward Tayla Stahl (three goals) were also crucial in helping lift Richmond to its first win since its 38-point flogging of St Kilda in round one.

Ellie McKenzie tallied 19 disposals and a goal in her third match back from a calf injury.
West Coast skipper Emma Swanson was heroic with 22 disposals and two goals, while Dana Hooker (24 disposals) also battled valiantly.

Eagles forward Aimee Schmidt booted two late goals to finish with three for the match.

The temperature was still hovering at around 35 degrees Celsius at the 4:10pm WST bounce down and it was Richmond who produced the sizzling moments in the opening term.

The Tigers' dominance in the air proved crucial, with the marking stat reading 17-4 in favour of the visitors as they slammed through 4.2 to 0.0.
Stahl had booted just a single behind from her past three matches, but she bounced back strongly with two early goals to set the tone.
West Coast responded early in the second quarter with goals to Swanson and Schmidt, but the Tigers regained control to head into half-time with a 27-point lead.

The Eagles kept pace in the second half, but the damage they copped in the first quarter proved too much to overcome.

Anyone else with the thinking that KB has found a bit of pace this year?
Moving across the ground as well as I’ve ever seen her.
A few times I’ve expected her to get caught but they haven’t been able to make much ground on her.
Without a shadow of doubt kB last 2 seasons she’s fitter than she’s evEr been and I’d go as far as saying career best form, caveat I didn’t watch much of early W game . The squad looks so much fitter , Ellie has stripped puppy fat and looks a real athlete on her way to being a star

Remove this Banner Ad

Back