Game Day West Coast vs Richmond - The Future Is Now!

Remove this Banner Ad

My friends, our great game is at a crossroads.

Naitanui is suspended for a fair tackle. Tom Hawkins gets a week for initiating a complex and admittedly needlessly exclusive handshake with his fishing buddy. An ex-coach gets lambasted for enjoying a taste of the orient.

Fear not - for the revolution in tactics is here!

Dustin Martin is clearly the biggest concern that we will face on the weekend. He's an absolute superstar. But even the best players have their weak spots! Let's have a look at Dusty's...

aaaaadisty-31785765.jpg

From what I can gather, if we want to stop Dusty, we'll have to do it at the thighs, the upper pelvic girdle, as well as the shoulder blade. This is a three man job.

aaaaagee-9806407.jpg

In fact, I hear one coach in particular is keen to see us rough up Martin's thigh and see him limp away...

But, keeping in mind his undeniable brilliance, Dusty is only one man. What other mouth-watering match ups can we expect to see on the weekend?

Ankles vs Surface
Richmond are undoubtedly a hard-running side, so let's hope our curators continue doing their job and have them down to a 1 man bench by midway through the first five minutes of the game.

aaaadaa-22401494.jpg

"Whatcha reckon about that hard patch over there, Steve?" "That's Ross's groin, Dave."

McGovern vs Nankervis
This may not be a direct match up, but hear me out. The Nank made his name last year drifting back and becoming an elite intercept player (in ruckman terms, anyway). This wasn't necessarily deep in the back line, but a kick or two behind the play. I feel that we need to be delightfully devilish regarding how we move the ball forward against Richmond especially for this reason. We know McGovern will repel attacks for days down back; can we stop the Tigers doing the same?

Rioli vs Mosquito Fleet
We all know the Tigers built a premiership side around forward pressure last year and it was wonderfully refreshing. I'm hoping we can match them for this on the weekend, with Cripps at the forefront, but I'm singling Rioli out here as somebody I want to see step up and crumb at the feet of our dominant talls on a more regular basis. This could be the week he has a 4+ goal breakout game on the big stage.

Assigned Midfielder (Redden?) vs Cotchin
For all the plaudits Martin gets, Cotchin has developed into a player that is supremely dangerous. We need to ensure that he gets the appropriate amount of attention, as his silk could bring us down if we are too Dusty-centric.

Final Comment: This is a hard game to tip. The Tigers are playing with a swagger that rivals the Eagles of the mid 00s, but lets be honest, the high end quality they have really does cover what is a soft underbelly. Like the Tigers of old, they are fickle and not far from spitting on each other! They are doing a magnificent job of maintaining their belief and momentum, but all of that can change this weekend. This is the most important game we've played this season and I have no doubt that the boys will give it everything they've got. Big ins are likely, with Gov and Naitanui important especially, whereas the Tigers are still waiting on Coughlan's scans to come in and for Bowden to leave the goal square.

Tip: Eagles by 22 points

SEND A MESSAGE BOYS

inb4lastweekspreviewshatalloverthisone

Last edited:

Solid preview.

Hopefully some more tickets become available during the week. For one reason or another I've missed out every time, including to the Derby which I actually did have a ticket to! At this rate I'm gonna miss out on seeing the new stadium before I head back to Korea. :(

Are you gents Confident ?

I hope the Richmond team that rocks up is not the same team that faced north last sunday, We were putrid and if we play that way we will lose but if we bring our pressure A grade game then it will be a very very fast attacking game

I hope the Richmond team that rocks up is not the same team that faced north last sunday, We were putrid and if we play that way we will lose but if we bring our pressure A grade game then it will be a very very fast attacking game
Why wouldn't we be?

West coast are in about as good shape as we could have possibly hoped for. I think it could go either way on the day, but we are definitely in with a great chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to pick, two fast pressure sides playing a 'tight team unit' game?
Will it be a tough grind all day, see-sawing momentum, one team building a steady ascendency or a blow-out to either team?
Who has the most firepower?
Both teams play out the last quarter well. Yeo on Dusty, Hutchings on Cotchin and NN to run riot!
Can our forward line withstand their pressure around the ball.
Weather conditions perfect. Ground conditions supposedly firm to hard?
I think the difference outside of the 'tight team play' is that the Eagles have more individual talent in their side,
just wish we had Shuey..

Could be wrong, but suspect that Richmond's run is about to come to an end.
The Tigers might be hunted by the bird of prey...
WCE by 1-36 points. (yep,bullish)
(recommended song for the stadium sound system - "Paper Tiger")

Last edited:

It's a 50/50 game for me, regardless of the result it should be an absolute ripper of a game.
Can't wait!

Nobody has played fast attacking football against us. Apart from Sydney and even then they didn't have it all there own way outside isolating Franklin. Would be disappointing if you won enough ball to run freely and get over and past our backs.

I kind of think we are suited to playing attacking sides. It’s the defensive flooders that we seem to struggle against.

Look...if last week is what happens when Richmond have to travel all the way to Etihad stadium, I think we might be ok this week :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back