West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we are a middle of the pack side and I can't see it changing any time soon. People often talk about the advantage we have playing at Subi every second week however I think it ends up being a disadvantage in the long run. Because we have the strong homeground advantage we always end up winning our 8+ games a season at home and never end up going down the ladder to get good picks. So we never get good young players in and just have to try and fluke getting good guys further down the draft or luring back WA players to give us a boost.

The one time we did go right down the ladder the next year was a compromised draft so we didn't get the best picks. We also can't lure good players over here as no one wants to play from Perth. So we end up in an endless cycle of sitting somewhere around 4-10 on the ladder. Yeh it's nice playing finals most seasons but what is the point if we never get good enough to win a flag. It's a shame as we are going to waste Kennedy's best years by not having a good enough midfield to make the most of him.

On the bright side, I think we will get Mitch McGovern over here next season which gives us a good young spine to build around and hopefully have another push in 4-5 seasons.

I'm under no illusions we're a contender this year, but I was hoping for some improvement over last year, and am overall pretty disappointed. Pressure and hunger was decent, but we ended up being too reliant on a few. I feel there's a lack of unity and cohesion at the club you see at some others. Truth be told for most of our 30 year history we've been a top 8 but rather middling top 8 side. We only really had three peaks, the early 90s, the mid 00s and 2015. Still, with 3 premierships we've done better than most sides since 1990.

I'm under no illusions we're a contender this year, but I was hoping for some improvement over last year, and am overall pretty disappointed. Pressure and hunger was decent, but we ended up being too reliant on a few. I feel there's a lack of unity and cohesion at the club you see at some others. Truth be told for most of our 30 year history we've been a top 8 but rather middling top 8 side. We only really had three peaks, the early 90s, the mid 00s and 2015. Still, with 3 premierships we've done better than most sides since 1990.

You're an illusionist if you think you're a contender, buddy.

I've defended Priddis in the past but he was a liability last night, don't care what the stats say watch the game.
Looks like he aged 5 years this season. Couldn't get anywhere near it. Eagles badly need a gun inside mid to replace Priddis with.

They are soft serve ice creams, i'm still ropeable we lost to those feather dusters! Melbourne had some big names out (yes i know Kennedy wasn't playing) and they always looked like they could pinch this game from the gelati tubs...Would love to play them at the MCG in September!
If you make.

You mean if we make it? Yes, well the jury is still out on us handbaggers. I am not impressed with Geelong either.
At this point the only sides I can't see toppling out are Adelaide and GWS. Every other side has the potential to fall away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how we have to deconstruct what is going wrong with teams when they lose to Melbourne.

Maybe it might be time to realize that it's bloody hard to play against us, and we're starting to bring our best more consistently despite loss of personnel.

I reckon Westcoast are a pretty good side, as are Adelaide, as are the Dogs, we just happened to play 12 pretty good hard quality quarters of footy.

The games we've lost we didn't bring our best for a quarter. We most likely won't win the flag this year, but we'll be a contender for the next few years. Enjoying the popcorn.

At this point the only sides I can't see toppling out are Adelaide and GWS. Every other side has the potential to fall away.

It's a very even season, I think any one of about 8-10 sides at the moment are a shot, especially with the week off before finals again this year.

For that reason I think we are still a chance but obviously you need a run of form at the right time and the injuries to hold off. I'd rather we wait for Naitanui to get his knee right but if we make finals with a relatively full strength side, it might be worth a gamble.

I love how we have to deconstruct what is going wrong with teams when they lose to Melbourne.

Maybe it might be time to realize that it's bloody hard to play against us, and we're starting to bring our best more consistently despite loss of personnel.

I reckon Westcoast are a pretty good side, as are Adelaide, as are the Dogs, we just happened to play 12 pretty good hard quality quarters of footy.

The games we've lost we didn't bring our best for a quarter. We most likely won't win the flag this year, but we'll be a contender for the next few years. Enjoying the popcorn.

The Eagles have been under this scrutiny for a while now, its not a Melbourne thing - the Eagles are not performing.

The Eagles have been under this scrutiny for a while now, its not a Melbourne thing - the Eagles are not performing.
You lost by less than a kick without NicNat, Kennedy and LeCras to a team that will be challenging for a premiership very soon, with quality across every line.

I'd say you performed pretty well.

Elliot Yeo - 23
Andrew Gaff - 25
Jeremy McGovern - 25
Jack Darling - 24
Jamie Cripps - 25 (quality but not star)
Dom Sheed - 22 (quality but not star)

you can build a young brigade around that bunch in the 18-23 range and have a crack in a couple of years easily....... Shuey and Nic Nat will be twilight of their careers but will still be around too.
Pretty big stretch calling Darling a star.

Why aren't partington or venebles getting games? Would be good to see what they can offer moving forward.

Partington definitely in the mix, stringing together some WAFL games now.

Venables is recovering from injury.

You lost by less than a kick without NicNat, Kennedy and LeCras to a team that will be challenging for a premiership very soon, with quality across every line.

I'd say you performed pretty well.
You also had a few handy players missing also. We are and always have been about a 5 goal better side at home. Play that game at the G and you win by at least 5-6 goals.

Not knocking you but I feel Melbourne got all them 3 teams at exactly the right time.

A bulk, but many are on contracts until 2018 and beyond. Priddis just signed an extension to end of 2018.

It's probably nearly identical to my delist/trade list (and I suspect a lot of Eagles board posters too).

Butler - solid depth but there are many younger options now, Jackson Nelson and Tom Cole can take his role
Masten - depth, plying trade in WAFL at the moment
Hill - could be worse, should trade if decent offer comes up, but happy to retain
Mitchell - I'd actually try and convince him to go for one more year, he's been great this year, but we cannot have him and Priddis in the same side
Mackenzie - yep, but doubt his value is that much, solid depth, hasn't been too bad this year
Priddis - argh
LeCras - injured, hopefully returns through WAFL because his form the past month or so has been crap
Redden - see Masten
Hurn - this is an interesting one, we still have a role for him but his kicking standards have dropped off and our captain in waiting just signed a four year contract extension

I'd shop Wellingham around too but I doubt any club would pay much for him.

Agree with all of that. Except I would also move Darling on. We are very top heavy and he hasn't performed for a good 2 or 3 years - he has talent, perhaps best for both parties is a parting of ways and if he realises some of that talent at another club then all power to him.

Re Priddis; while I'm also a bit miffed at the extension, the only reason I can think of for why we re-signed him for another year is it was for a low-ish amount and for security. Would like to think that the consensus is that while he's been a great asset his best is well past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back