West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how we have to deconstruct what is going wrong with teams when they lose to Melbourne.

Maybe it might be time to realize that it's bloody hard to play against us, and we're starting to bring our best more consistently despite loss of personnel.

I reckon Westcoast are a pretty good side, as are Adelaide, as are the Dogs, we just happened to play 12 pretty good hard quality quarters of footy.

The games we've lost we didn't bring our best for a quarter. We most likely won't win the flag this year, but we'll be a contender for the next few years. Enjoying the popcorn.
Well said
Always like ople who back their side

Yeah giving up pick 88 killed them
High pick. As i said

Future gone. Pack em up. Maybe a relocation to port headland

Tldr. Eagles fans and internally they know where they are at. Window open but had a ahit injury with nic nat (he makes the midfield click). Priddas has dropped. It might be 1-2 moves which put them into contention. Picking put petrie over a project 18y/o and one of the best midfielders in the last 15 years for pick 88 doesnt mean anything

Will be right back in contention next year if the tough calls are made. Will still have one of the best spines in the competition, and got Naitanui and Lycett to come back still.

This has to be the best 22 for 2018

B Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB Yeo Mcgovern Nelson
C Duggan Mitchell Gaff
HF Venables Mcgovern Jetta
F Rioli Kennedy Cripps
R Naitanui Shuey Sheed
I Partington Darling Lycett Cole

With the following as depth:
Mutimer Karpany Hutch Hill Schofield Vardy Mackenzie Wellingham Redden

I might be biased but I don't see how the above team couldn't strongly contend for another top 4 position. Need to make either Shuey or Mcgovern captain, Hurn isn't up to it and those 2 lead from the front.

Priddis has to go out and stay out, cannot understate the negative effect he's having on the way the entire midfield operates. He no longer offers anything offensively as he is no longer a contested beast/clearance machine, offers absolutely nothing defensively as he is probably one of the slowest players in the competition, he takes up pretty much 1/3 of all the on ball time available to any player which holds back the development of the young guys. The team has essentially been playing a man down all year with him in the side.

The midfield will look a million times better with him out and Naitanui back in the team, forwardline will be so much more dynamic with Rioli and Venables in, and assuming we manage to trade M Gov in.

I'd also seriously consider trading Gaff and Darling, they would still have some good trade value, particularly Gaff.

The team is going nowhere if some hard calls aren't made, but it isn't dire straits like some people are making it out to be. Got a good group of young players in Sheed, Barrass, Nelson, Duggan, Yeo, Venables, Rioli, Partington, Cole, and still got a good few years out of Kennedy, Naitanui and Shuey.

High pick. As i said

Future gone. Pack em up. Maybe a relocation to port headland

Tldr. Eagles fans and internally they know where they are at. Window open but had a ahit injury with nic nat (he makes the midfield click). Priddas has dropped. It might be 1-2 moves which put them into contention. Picking put petrie over a project 18y/o and one of the best midfielders in the last 15 years for pick 88 doesnt mean anything

Petrie was picked up as #3 or #4 ruckman - I wasn't happy, but he has done as best he can, I was wrong & Vardy will be forever grateful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players born before 1990 (28+ this year):

1989: Masten (171 games), Schofield (159), Hill (171), Jetta (144)
1988: Mackenzie (137), Wellingham (167), Giles (63)
1987: Hurn (212), Kennedy (198)
1986: LeCras (188), Butler (165)
1985: Priddis (231)

1982: Mitchell (300+), Petrie (300+)

That's a lot of experience for not a lot of output. We are the oldest team this year (skewed by Mitchell and Petrie who are known short term propositions) but most of those guys above are replaceable - the issue is the that the club don't see a need to replace them.

Our worst season since 2010 was 2013 then we won 9 games and finished 13th. The last 6 years have been 17, 15, 9, 11, 16, 16 wins and we're currently 7-6. That's not exactly a poor record on paper. Only 7 teams have made the GF in that time, and we're one of them.

We'll end up around parity this year, 11-11. Again, not the worst. But we're treading water. We need the season to go to s**t not for the draft picks that will come with it but the realisation that we need to make big changes to be a real contender. We don't need to turn over 3/4 of the list or anything and we have some good young players coming through, but the mix of the last 3-4 years is stale and needs to change. I don't think Cole or Duggan or Karpany are future Brownlow winners or anything, but them coming in recently has made a difference.

I don't think Cole or Duggan or Karpany are future Brownlow winners or anything, but them coming in recently has made a difference.

Also Sheed and Barrass.

The hardest thing is the admin realising that Priddis, LeCras and others need a tap on the shoulder at the end of the season.

Fight as hard as they can for the rest of this season and try and get the right mix of players in to complement the solid core they already have.
Solid group of middle aged players... just need a few more younger gems to really push them through.
Hit the nail on the head.

We need to be playing some of the kids that are killing it in the WAFL. MC have only just began to relent and do this, and our last two games have shown an increased intensity around the ball which we've otherwise lacked all season.

It's the meddling MC wanting good blokes who've been around the club for so long in the best 22 regardless of their form, guys like LeCras for example who've been utter s**t all year yet keep getting called up. They're not in our future flag side, MC is trying to force them into it.

*MC being the blokes besides Simmo, who we speculate on the WC board is being forced to make some selections against his own judgement.

Pretty worrying how many in their side most weeks are over 27. It's fine if you're Hawthorn of 2013-15 but if you're out of the eight or bouncing out first week then you're in a bit of trouble.

I understand why Simpson isn't changing a lot. If you're a chance to make the eight you may as well go hell for leather to make it - it could turn into something and takes some pressure off. The problem is that they're going to lose a lot of these players soon. It could get ugly if they don't have a few coming through.

If it were me I'd be dropping the underperforming oldies and playing a younger side but then again it's not my job on the line.

I see the OP has moved on from his constant posts of Melbourne are the most disappointing team and Simon Goodwin is no good.

Someone really needs to take his posting "abilities" away.

Please, he was trolling West Coast long before Melbourne.

Just ignore and discuss with posters that actually want a discussion.

Petrie was picked up as #3 or #4 ruckman - I wasn't happy, but he has done as best he can, I was wrong & Vardy will be forever grateful.
Petrie has played 4 more games then you realisticly would have liked him to. He's contributed well in one of them, Best you could ever hope for in a rookie pick up

Players born before 1990 (28+ this year):

1989: Masten (171 games), Schofield (159), Hill (171), Jetta (144)
1988: Mackenzie (137), Wellingham (167), Giles (63)
1987: Hurn (212), Kennedy (198)
1986: LeCras (188), Butler (165)
1985: Priddis (231)

1982: Mitchell (300+), Petrie (300+)

That's a lot of experience for not a lot of output. We are the oldest team this year (skewed by Mitchell and Petrie who are known short term propositions) but most of those guys above are replaceable - the issue is the that the club don't see a need to replace them.

Kennedy is the only glaring concern into the future.

Still loaded up regardless of what was exchange. That's irrelevant.
I think your definition of loaded up differs to the average person's definition.

Petrie is an old hack to cover for an injured ruck brigade. Not going to win you a flag.

Mitchell while still handy isn't going to win you a flag either.

I like Topkent's description of your posting as sensationalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back