West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forever treading water. Their current list won't get close to a flag, too many average Joe's.

Their home ground advantage will continue fool punters as it has for years. If they finish above 7th they're overachieving.

Gaff 25 (an icing player), Sheppard 26 (massively underrated), Yeo 23 (leading/up there in the coaches award this year, AA lock), Shuey 27 (on the older side but as with Naitanui can be there for the next push), McGovern 25 (AA last year, another good year this year).

If I'm West Coast, at the end of this year I'm saying so long, thanks for the memories, to Butler (31), Masten (28 - try trade), Hill (28 - try trade), Mitchell (34), Mackenzie (29 - try trade), Priddis (32), LeCras (31) & Redden (26 - try trade). Hurn (30) to relenquish the captaincy and not be clear best 22.

I imagine the bulk of those guys are out of contract? Time for them to go.

Eagles need to target a gun mid to partner Shuey. Maybe could be a late player for Fyfe or Martin if they clear all those players - 7 at least average salaries there? I feel like the Eagles are similar to Adelaide in that the off field management is very conservative. Extremely well-resourced, but too risk adverse
100% agree with all of that, other than trade Masten instead of Gaff. Gaff would get more in return and are similar players - outside skinny pricks but Masten has a better kick. I'd trade Gaff if was my choice.

Unfortunately Priddis got another contract a few weeks ago

A bulk, but many are on contracts until 2018 and beyond. Priddis just signed an extension to end of 2018.

It's probably nearly identical to my delist/trade list (and I suspect a lot of Eagles board posters too).

Butler - solid depth but there are many younger options now, Jackson Nelson and Tom Cole can take his role
Masten - depth, plying trade in WAFL at the moment
Hill - could be worse, should trade if decent offer comes up, but happy to retain
Mitchell - I'd actually try and convince him to go for one more year, he's been great this year, but we cannot have him and Priddis in the same side
Mackenzie - yep, but doubt his value is that much, solid depth, hasn't been too bad this year
Priddis - argh
LeCras - injured, hopefully returns through WAFL because his form the past month or so has been crap
Redden - see Masten
Hurn - this is an interesting one, we still have a role for him but his kicking standards have dropped off and our captain in waiting just signed a four year contract extension

I'd shop Wellingham around too but I doubt any club would pay much for him.

I still cannot fathom the hate and complete lack of respect from WCE supporters for Priddis.

I still cannot fathom the hate and complete lack of respect from WCE supporters for Priddis.

He's been great, not just saying that as his sponsor this year. I am firmly in the pro-Priddis camp unlike certain elements in the WC board.

But this year he's been mostly dreadful. Not even winning the clearances any more which was the one weapon he had left, because when it comes to defensive accountability, kicking skill and speed he is very much deficient compared to the average player.

It was always going to happen, you can't play forever, but game has moved past him in a big way.

Like NM they loaded up for a tilt at a flag but it appears they will miss the 8 completely.

Can't see them dropping or retiring Priddis et al which will mean 2018 we can expect a slower midfield but a dominant ruckman.

I think they're in all sorts of trouble short and long term and I think Simpson is too stubborn to rebuild.

Where are they at and what should their strategy be going forward?
I thought you were talking about the pies there with loading up with wells and mayne in a desperate attempt for bucks to make finals. Where to now?

Can we just ban Adz from making threads? Every one he posts on the main board is a thinly veiled troll, and usually aimed at the Eagles.
its funny because the sides he constantly attacks are all better then the side he supports

I love how we have to deconstruct what is going wrong with teams when they lose to Melbourne.

Maybe it might be time to realize that it's bloody hard to play against us, and we're starting to bring our best more consistently despite loss of personnel.

I reckon Westcoast are a pretty good side, as are Adelaide, as are the Dogs, we just happened to play 12 pretty good hard quality quarters of footy.

The games we've lost we didn't bring our best for a quarter. We most likely won't win the flag this year, but we'll be a contender for the next few years. Enjoying the popcorn.

I get that Melbourne are still behind the 8-ball in respect compared to performance, and until you win a final it'll probably continue that way (and then everyone, including me, will tell anyone who will listen how good you are!) as accolades are always behind performance, but I think the Eagles have been discussed like this since probably the day after the 2015 grand final.

The Dogs & Eagles have been rather short on form even without the Melbourne loss. The Dogs were being criticised (still are) because their last 5 weeks yielded 1 win, including a 10 goal loss and their lowest score under Beveridge. That's poor form in anyones book. They didn't exactly bounce back with a 1 point fall v 17th. And the Eagles had lost 3 in a row, played quite well v Geelong but people are still remembering the Essendon & GC losses. Incidentally, the GC loss & Melbourne loss were similar in giving up a late lead.

I think talk about the direction the Eagles are headed in is justified. No criticism of Melbourne necessary. Eagles fans here seem to be of the consensus that their list, while with a good core, needs a quick rejuvenation to take advantage of Shuey/Naitanui/Kennedy, not an unfair summation.

A bulk, but many are on contracts until 2018 and beyond. Priddis just signed an extension to end of 2018.

It's probably nearly identical to my delist/trade list (and I suspect a lot of Eagles board posters too).

Butler - solid depth but there are many younger options now, Jackson Nelson and Tom Cole can take his role
Masten - depth, plying trade in WAFL at the moment
Hill - could be worse, should trade if decent offer comes up, but happy to retain
Mitchell - I'd actually try and convince him to go for one more year, he's been great this year, but we cannot have him and Priddis in the same side
Mackenzie - yep, but doubt his value is that much, solid depth, hasn't been too bad this year
Priddis - argh
LeCras - injured, hopefully returns through WAFL because his form the past month or so has been crap
Redden - see Masten
Hurn - this is an interesting one, we still have a role for him but his kicking standards have dropped off and our captain in waiting just signed a four year contract extension

I'd shop Wellingham around too but I doubt any club would pay much for him.

Pretty fair summary for me as an outsider.

To add for what I see, I've long been a 'hater' of the way LeCras plays, so I think he should just stick to the WAFL. I mean 4 weeks, injury niggle or not, without kicking a goal when you're providing nothing else (2 of those games 0 tackles, 3 games under 15 disposals) to me shows LeCras is a one-role player - and there would be an argument that his role is trying to kick the miracle goal 80% of the time, and kicking it 20%. Only 6 goal assists for the year. He's no longer good enough to overlook his flaws, also having lost his accuracy.

Hill is probably fair. Not an expert on him but guess the fact he requested a trade to Perth probably shows he wants to stay there and he wouldn't leave quietly I imagine. BUT if you could get a 40ish pick for him from a club I'd take it.

I also think making the call on a captain is very hard but Hurn's biggest weapon was always his kicking, and I don't think (from memory) any of McGovern, Barrass, Sheppard, or Yeo are less than very good when it comes to ball use, so I'd say he's less needed. Hardly short on experience either as a side.

What would the Eagles salary cap situation be? We don't hear much about your guys poaching over here but I'd say with the likely exit of senior players (or reduction in salary), increase in overall cap, and ability to pay 105% you could get a Fyfe/Dusty type? Honestly think the Eagles, if their cap allowed it, would be as attractive as any other side to play for as an elite player - the addition of an elite mid would help bounce the Eagles back up to 2015 standards. But are the Eagles ballsy enough to do it - are they doing it Sydney style without anyone hearing, who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty fair summary for me as an outsider.

To add for what I see, I've long been a 'hater' of the way LeCras plays, so I think he should just stick to the WAFL. I mean 4 weeks, injury niggle or not, without kicking a goal when you're providing nothing else (2 of those games 0 tackles, 3 games under 15 disposals) to me shows LeCras is a one-role player - and there would be an argument that his role is trying to kick the miracle goal 80% of the time, and kicking it 20%. Only 6 goal assists for the year. He's no longer good enough to overlook his flaws, also having lost his accuracy.

Hill is probably fair. Not an expert on him but guess the fact he requested a trade to Perth probably shows he wants to stay there and he wouldn't leave quietly I imagine. BUT if you could get a 40ish pick for him from a club I'd take it.

I also think making the call on a captain is very hard but Hurn's biggest weapon was always his kicking, and I don't think (from memory) any of McGovern, Barrass, Sheppard, or Yeo are less than very good when it comes to ball use, so I'd say he's less needed. Hardly short on experience either as a side.

What would the Eagles salary cap situation be? We don't hear much about your guys poaching over here but I'd say with the likely exit of senior players (or reduction in salary), increase in overall cap, and ability to pay 105% you could get a Fyfe/Dusty type? Honestly think the Eagles, if their cap allowed it, would be as attractive as any other side to play for as an elite player - the addition of an elite mid would help bounce the Eagles back up to 2015 standards. But are the Eagles ballsy enough to do it - are they doing it Sydney style without anyone hearing, who knows.

We've got room to maneuver (or so I've heard, I'm not full bore on the Eagles contract situation of each player), and we definitely are able to target a big fish - but no one wants to come here. We'd love a Dusty type but he'd have zero interest in being an Eagle. I'd trade my left and right nut for an A grade midfielder to become an Eagle but those movements are very rare. Coniglio would be nice and he's from WA but he seems happy at GWS. We've just had major difficulties in our history attracting interstate recruits, our most recent one that wasn't homesick and not past the age of 30 was Jack Redden. :drunk:

I think we are done for the year but next year the window is still there if Naitanui gets back out there and our core stays uninjured. Sam Mitchell has been an astute signing (well duh, dude's an absolute gun) so I think it might depend on whether he feels like going around one more time.

He's cooked mate. Done like a Sunday roast dinner.

Can no longer carry a slow, one-trick pony in the modern game.

True but that 'one trick' is pretty good considering who your other options are. Not as if there is someone else that is going to come in and get clearances straight away, and your list should be contending.

True but that 'one trick' is pretty good considering who your other options are. Not as if there is someone else that is going to come in and get clearances straight away, and your list should be contending.

He isn't even using that 'one trick' at the moment. He is way down on his contest ball and making so many mistakes offensively and defensively that he has become a huge liability to our midfield setup. Hoping the likes of Partington (good WAFL form) can come in and at least give a contest.

He isn't even using that 'one trick' at the moment. He is way down on his contest ball and making so many mistakes offensively and defensively that he has become a huge liability to our midfield setup. Hoping the likes of Partington (good WAFL form) can come in and at least give a contest.

No reason why both can't play though. Nic Nat being out has hurt massively. Give the players a chance. They have done well to stay in the 8 without Nic Nat spoon feeding the midfield.

Forever treading water. Their current list won't get close to a flag, too many average Joe's.

Their home ground advantage will continue fool punters as it has for years. If they finish above 7th they're overachieving.
How we came so close to winning the whole thing in 2015 was a miracle... if only we pulled a cooked Freo in the GF instead of champs Hawthorn.

No reason why both can't play though. Nic Nat being out has hurt massively. Give the players a chance. They have done well to stay in the 8 without Nic Nat spoon feeding the midfield.

NicNat being out is the recession we had to have, exposing our pathetic midfield.

He needs to be the icing on the cake, not facilitating papering over the cracks with first use of the pill every time.

Are you saying Priddis does not give a contest .... :rolleyes:
It beggars belief to suggest a kid like Partington could step in & offer more straight up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back